Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VAR sytem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 72>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 2:04pm
Two incredibly tight VAR offside decisions in city game
One disallowed one not
You’re talking millimetres

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 10 Aug 2019 at 2:04pm
Sponsored Links

HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 2:24pm
VAR Clap
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 4:03pm
For me it just does not work in football. Taking the excitment out of goals. Huge amount of them will be checked and your waiting round to see if you can celebrate. That sterling one that was given offside today, i could hardly make that out even on VAR. Tecnically it may get most decisions right but at what cost. Drain the life and excitment out of games. For me i wish it went back to the old way. Others may like it. Bet you fans will be sick of it in a year.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 4:04pm
Ofcourse it had to be Mike Dean to make the headlines to be the first to use it!

I hate that man so much. If I ever became malding it's because of him.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Ofcourse it had to be Mike Dean to make the headlines to be the first to use it!

Yes, because a referee using a tool available to him when he needed it is disgraceful. You're some sadcase.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

Yes, because a referee using a tool available to him when he needed it is disgraceful. You're some sadcase.

I'd say you're sadder by being offended by it tbh!
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

For me it just does not work in football. Taking the excitment out of goals. Huge amount of them will be checked and your waiting round to see if you can celebrate. That sterling one that was given offside today, i could hardly make that out even on VAR. Tecnically it may get most decisions right but at what cost. Drain the life and excitment out of games. For me i wish it went back to the old way. Others may like it. Bet you fans will be sick of it in a year.

It does work in football, and it will work in football. I don't know how much revenue you get for winning the league, or even staying up, but whatever it is, it must be won honestly.

Celebrate as much or as little as you like, but this is the way it has to be from now on. Deal with it or watch some other sport with no technology, that accepts and promotes cheating and serious errors. Because it won't be happening in the EPL anymore. 

Edited by planning - 10 Aug 2019 at 10:59pm
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 5:08pm

Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

I'd say you're sadder by being offended by it tbh!

Where did I mention anything about being offended?
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 5:30pm
Planning, how many refereeing errors did you jot down in your notebook today?
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 8:49pm
Premier League players, at full pace, run about 30kph.

In one second, that is a distance of 8.33m.

With a frame rate of 50fps (which is what tv cameras generally use), the difference between one frame and the next is 16cm. That's over 6 inches, in old money.

That's even discounting the defender running in one direction and the forward in the opposite direction.

The frame selection in deciding when the pass is played is absolutely key in showing whether a player is offside or not; VAR is very, very far from infallible when it decides on offside.

I appreciate players are rarely at top speed the instant a pass is played but the point is, the margins are very, very fine, the cameras are far from perfect and the frame selection is undoubtedly a human element even in the VAR system.

This isn't a reason to say that VAR shouldn't be used, but there is definitely an argument that there should be something like "referee's call" on close offside decisions, if it is not clear exactly which frame should be used when deciding if a player is offside or not... as is often the case.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 10:58pm
Spot on. Watching Sterlings goal that VAR gave after reviewing the offside, with the level of technology being used the exact time the last pass is played is almost impossible to decide. On that goal, Sterling looked marginally offside on numerous replays, then BT showed some squiggly lines to show Sterling was just onside.

The technology isn't there at all yet for such marginal decisions. 
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 11:19pm
Watching MOTD, how long did it take to disallow Wolves goal today? 2 minutes the Wolves manager said. It's a clear decision, it should take no more than 15 seconds maximum to disallow that. How is this system sh*t?
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 11:26pm
In any other games I’ve seen this weekend the VAR decision making time has been a lot shorter than I was expecting, and certainly a lot shorter than it was in the tournaments we had in the summer
It’s one aspect they’ve improved on i thought

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 11 Aug 2019 at 11:27pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 11:31pm
The PL have definitely made a point of operating the system far quicker than the disgrace that was going on over the summer. The Women's World Cup was an abomination because of VAR.

No simple decision should take 1-2 minutes though. It's farcical. The ball hits the Wolves players hand, it can't be a goal by the ruling now. That should have taken 1 replay on tv, a word in the refs ear, and within 15 seconds a free kick out given and goal disallowed. Should never take that long for clear decisions like that. Other calls may be more complicated so it's understandable if  they are a bit slower.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 11:34pm
Did it actually take 2 minutes I wonder or did Nuno Esposito Santo just guess that in his moan about them having a goal chalked off, despite it being a perfectly correct call?

As for Coadys point, what was he on about
You cannot score or create a goal with your arm or hand, its pretty simple 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 11 Aug 2019 at 11:35pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 11:42pm
Ah sure Jenas said the same thing rambling about the ruling. It is a ruling imo that should have been tidied up years ago with the amount of goals scored involved handball in the act of scoring or creating the goal.

I didn't see the game, but the fact that all the players were waiting to centre off and the ref is chatting away to the VAR means it would have taken 1-2 minutes anyway. Some decisions in football are ready simple. This handball scenario is one of them. No way should it take that long to get the right call.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 12:41am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Premier League players, at full pace, run about 30kph.

In one second, that is a distance of 8.33m.

With a frame rate of 50fps (which is what tv cameras generally use), the difference between one frame and the next is 16cm. That's over 6 inches, in old money.

That's even discounting the defender running in one direction and the forward in the opposite direction.

The frame selection in deciding when the pass is played is absolutely key in showing whether a player is offside or not; VAR is very, very far from infallible when it decides on offside.

I appreciate players are rarely at top speed the instant a pass is played but the point is, the margins are very, very fine, the cameras are far from perfect and the frame selection is undoubtedly a human element even in the VAR system.

This isn't a reason to say that VAR shouldn't be used, but there is definitely an argument that there should be something like "referee's call" on close offside decisions, if it is not clear exactly which frame should be used when deciding if a player is offside or not... as is often the case.

The system is infallible. The technology is designed to accommodate any offside call, at any given speed. The system provides the evidence, the operator then interprets the evidence to make the decision. A player cannot con a camera and the offside laws are applied as they're supposed to be. Zero tolerance means 0 tolerance. 1mm offside counts the same as 10 yards offside, it's offside and a goal should not be given. 

There is "referee's call" on more subjective decisions. Personally I don't think there should be any discrepancy. Laws of the game are the same all over the world, not one rule for the EPL and one rule for everyone else. 
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 12:43am
Sweet suffering jaysus LOL LOL LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 72>
  Share Topic