Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VAR sytem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 72>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

I look forward to the VAR season coming up myself, and the thousands of penalties that will be given for handball. I expect not a single defensive handball will be gotten away with.

There is no such thing as a "defensive" handball. Terry Phelan found that out the hard way in Macedonia, and that's 20+ years ago. We needed video technology back then as well. 

There won't be "thousands" of penalties next season either. There will be a huge increase in penalties compared to previous seasons. You'll pepper your reply to that with another unsightly bunch of insults and emoticons, but it's an undeniable fact that the rate of penalties goes up significantly with VAR, compared to reffing without it. 

The VAR did it's job in the CA game you speak of. Without it, Brazil would have benefitted from the wrong decisions of a "homer" ref, and wouldn't need the lottery of penalties to win it. Both keepers were instructed to stay on their line before every penalty, which they all did. It's not rocket science.  

Back at the WWC in France, the latest penalty was awarded. It was announced at the referee press conference this week, that just half of the penalties given at the tournament have not been awarded by VAR. There are an average of 10 VAR checks per game, and a VAR review on the field every 1.52 games, broadly in line with other major tournaments. 

Collina is the head of refs, and he was shocked/disgusted to discover towards the end of the confeernce that the FA wish to cherry pick the VAR rules they want to use and ignore the rest. He reminded them that all VAR rules must be enforced in VAR competitions across the world. So I don't think we've heard the last of this yet. 

Edited by planning - 28 Jun 2019 at 6:21pm
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
Sponsored Links

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I think there is more to it than that. I think the vast majority of people involved in the game are in favour of VAR or similar, even if many, like myself, were sceptical. 
VAR is, I will concede, the right thing for the sport. However, the way it has been implemented has not. There is so much confusion and grey area that it has become farcical. The whole purpose of any refereeing or umpiring system, in anything, is to pretty much to blend into the background and just make important calls. That isn’t happening. The best referees, as the cliché goes, go unnoticed and that isn’t happening here. 
The decision to clarify the rules after VAR’s introduction was one mistake. The fact that referees at World Cups have never used it before another and the ambiguity around what VAR is supposed to do and what a ‘clear and obvious’ error is have compounded those.
Essentially, it is the right idea but wrongly implemented.

Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

I look forward to the VAR season coming up myself, and the thousands of penalties that will be given for handball. I expect not a single defensive handball will be gotten away with.

There is no such thing as a "defensive" handball. Terry Phelan found that out the hard way in Macedonia, and that's 20+ years ago. We needed video technology back then as well. 

There won't be "thousands" of penalties next season either. There will be a huge increase in penalties compared to previous seasons. You'll pepper your reply to that with another unsightly bunch of insults and emoticons, but it's an undeniable fact that the rate of penalties goes up significantly with VAR, compared to reffing without it. 

The VAR did it's job in the CA game you speak of. Without it, Brazil would have benefitted from the wrong decisions of a "homer" ref, and wouldn't need the lottery of penalties to win it. Both keepers were instructed to stay on their line before every penalty, which they all did. It's not rocket science.  

Back at the WWC in France, the latest penalty was awarded. It was announced at the referee press conference this week, that just half of the penalties given at the tournament have not been awarded by VAR. There are an average of 10 VAR checks per game, and a VAR review on the field every 1.52 games, broadly in line with other major tournaments. 

Collina is the head of refs, and he was shocked/disgusted to discover towards the end of the confeernce that the FA wish to cherry pick the VAR rules they want to use and ignore the rest. He reminded them that all VAR rules must be enforced in VAR competitions across the world. So I don't think we've heard the last of this yet. 

A few points on this post.

1. Your comments are comical

2. No such thing as a defensive handball. I am clearly using that term to distinguish between an attacker handling the ball and a defender handling the ball, i.e. a defensive handball. Jaysus.

3. Terry Phelan LOL LOL LOL

4. According to what you have said before, there most definitely will be thousands of penalties in every game next season. As every single defensive handball (there it is again) in the box will result in a penalty, will it not?

5. Did you watch the Copa America game? It took 6 or 7 minutes to decide on a decision that should have been made within 30 seconds to 1 minute maximum. It was a really easy decision, the only question was where the foul took place. The situation was a complete farce and it was horrendous to watch.

6. The Womens World Cup - where to start LOL In what has been a pretty good tournament especially the standard of the top 10 or so teams (I've followed the last few Womens world cups also and it is improving vastly at the top end) - The VAR has done it's utmost to ruin the tournament. It's implementation has been an abomination.

7. Collina LOL is shocked to discover that other competitions won't align their rules LOL You realise you actually prove my points when you say things like this. It's actually depressing that I'm arguing this exact point for ages (that VAR is not aligned, that VAR is not run smoothly) and yet here you are with Collinas shock and pearls of wisdom. F*cking hell.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 28 Jun 2019 at 7:16pm
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 8:15pm

No such thing as a defensive handball. I am clearly using that term to distinguish between an attacker handling the ball and a defender handling the ball, i.e. a defensive handball. Jaysus.

Did you watch the Copa America game? It took 6 or 7 minutes to decide on a decision that should have been made within 30 seconds to 1 minute maximum. It was a really easy decision, the only question was where the foul took place. The situation was a complete farce and it was horrendous to watch.

The Womens World Cup - The VAR has done it's utmost to ruin the tournament. It's implementation has been an abomination.

No it hasn't. It's done the job it's supposed to do - correct wrong decisions. As I said, it's one of the best things about the tournament, so that no team can say they were cheated out of it. The correct decision rate at this specific tournament is officially recorded as 98.18%, so this works. 

I did watch the CA game. Again, it did the job it's designed to do. Correct a  major decision that was initially an error. So it was 6 or 7 minutes well spent. 

Handball is handball is handball. This is football. A defender cannot handle the ball any more than any other outfield player. Handball is an offence and may be punished in one of several different ways. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 8:59pm
7 minutes well spent LOL where do you draw the line? If it took 30 minutes to make that decision, would that be ok? If they have decent technology, decent tv cameras and angles available to them, that decision should have taken 15-30 seconds. No more. It was an abomination.

I see the percentage is down from 99.3 to 98.18 percent now LOL

Handball is handball is handball - do you know anything about the handball laws in football?
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 11:52pm
You don't draw any line. If it takes 6 minutes, so be it. If it takes 30 minutes, fair enough. We're looking for the correct decision, the time it takes is immaterial. The time taken is usually added on in injury time. 

We lose 20 minutes per game, every game, waiting for set pieces to be taken. Nobody complains about that, even when it's obvious time wasting. A few minutes taken to get the right decision benefits everyone. 

The percentage is not down. If anything it's gone up at this tournament, from 92% without VAR, to 98% with it. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 11:58pm
Wow. Just wow.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 2:01am
Another day. Another game being tortured by the presence of VAR in the Copa America. I'm waiting for Nigel Owens to appear in Brazil and shout 'hands away bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue'
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

i wonder if there was a world wide poll of fans/refs/coaches etc to stick with VAR or abolish it what would the outcome be?

You will do well to find a ref who wants to abolish VAR, and go back to having 5-10 players bawling at him over his decisions, and generally using him as a punchbag, attempting to con him with this and cheat him with that. The infamous sight of Buffon spitting blood at Oliver for daring to give a penalty against him, is one of the iconic images of the European Cup in recent years, and which VAR has helped to eradicate. Now, all he has to say is "we're checking", and it shuts them all up. VAR makes their job much easier, so they all want it. 

Most coaches are in favour. But you'll always have the oddballs like the  Wagners and Pochettinos who cry about the lack of emotion involved. We're getting the right decisions, that is all people in favour of technology have called for. It might mean slightly more restrained celebrations sometimes, as all goals are provisional until play restarts, but nobody can say anymore that you only scored/won because the referee made a mistake. 3 EPL coaches lost their jobs last season, just days after major refereeing errors in their games, one of which was a goal punched into the net, and allowed to stand. It was a horrendous error, but there was no VAR available to put it right. It won't happen next season.

Fans are much more divided. They all love it when a decision is in their favour, and hate it when it goes against them. Some start booing because it's too slow for them, and they might miss their last bus home. Or their last pint of the devils buttermilk. Or both. But sometimes, it has to be slow. There may be €100mn, or a 3 match ban, or a next round place at stake. It may be the difference between a coach keeping his job or getting fired. So the final decision must be correct, and if it takes a bit more time to make it, so be it. People like me can live with a bit more time taken as necessary.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 3:44pm
I’ve always found most reasons against VAR to be less than compelling, and I feel that it whips players into line, in a sport where referees are very poorly treated, and there is a systemic culture of abuse towards referees, which permeates all levels.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 4:03pm
I have never seen so many players consistently argue with a referee over decisions as has happened this summer. It is absolutely false to say that players now tow the line. If anything it is the exact opposite. Planning, are you actually watching any of the tournaments being played this summer?
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 4:21pm

I have never seen so many players consistently argue with a referee over decisions as has happened this summer. It is absolutely false to say that players now tow the line. If anything it is the exact opposite. Planning, are you actually watching any of the tournaments being played this summer?

Let me guess. Another liar and simpleton?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 4:25pm

In fairness, I didn’t say that alls well with players. The culture is too engrained. But it will help over time, especially as people become aware of how futile it is to argue with a video replay.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

LOL

Hans and his list of simpletons

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 4:27pm

No. Planning is just misinformed.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

LOL

Hans and his list of simpletons

You should be quite proud RB. You are in that little clique with Coyner now. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

In fairness, I didn’t say that alls well with players. The culture is too engrained. But it will help over time, especially as people become aware of how futile it is to argue with a video replay.

VAR has been running in plenty of leagues and competitions for 2-3 years now. The problem isn't the system. It's the implementation of the system. It leads to huge delays of play which are the death of the game imo. It also leads to total confusion amongst players, management and fans. This is why players are continuously surrounding referees about VAR calls..

Edited by Hans Moleman - 04 Jul 2019 at 4:38pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 4:41pm

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

VAR has been running in plenty of leagues and competitions for 2-3 years now. The problem isn't the system. It's the implementation of the system. It leads to huge delays of play which are the death of the game imo. It also leads to total confusion amongst players, management and fans. This is why players are continuously surrounding referees about VAR calls.

For me, I’ve always seen football as being fairly slow anyway. It’s not at the level of American sports, that’s for sure, but I don’t believe it takes away from the game sufficiently to dislike it. I’d like the culture to change though in relation to referees.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 72>
  Share Topic