You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Research - Has our fans behaviour got worse?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Would it help if we got more people on yokes at away trips? Everyone pulling weird faces, rubbing each others backs and talking about how sound the locals are. 

I suppose it wouldn't be any harm to test. I'm sure candidates for the experiment wouldn't be hard to find

I'll take two please 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Sponsored Links

OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

Going to aways since O Shea missed a sitter in 2005 in France.

Hard to judge are things getting more out of control or not tbh and weighing that up against my aging patience and my general lack of effort to see or mix with the mentleness.

In Lyon, on the banks of river outside one of the irish bars. There was a mad game of ball going on, like folk football, lads clattering into eachother and the likes. balls booted up to Apartment windows. A car was damaged(although not at that moment) and the police came, closed the road, and diverted traffic away. 

On one hand it was great entertainment as all our lot agreed, but We had feck all interest in joining in. A Bandwagoner(sounded like a rugby fan, you know the type). Vocally decided to leave before something bad happened. Me and my mates knew it was grand. There seemed a slightly different brigade over for that match, more there for the occasion, and lads not experience of away trips or how to behave. I almost got a sense of lads not giving a f**k about what people thought of us. I.e pure Rugby and GAA heads. But look I know its wrong to generalise and as I said nothing bad happened.

But heres the thing that I suspect. I don't think We'd tolerate that sort of behavior in Ireland from away fans. I think We are very lucky when We go away, and lads regularly dont stray to far from that fine line between acceptable and not. I just cant see us warm to lads blocking our roads, banging cars, banging the Trams, kicking balls around, damaging the odd car/window. And I see a contradiction here, and I think if it did happen, their would probably be uproar and our own behaviour will be scrutinised for away trips.

In the meantime, from my experience, 99% of Irish fans behaviour is good natured and hilarious, and the 1% remaining generally get their head pulled in by their mates.

I for one am there for the football. The pints, the siteseeing and the craic were always an added bonus.

Actually between 2005 and 2010 following the irish team away was not the bandwagon thing to do, it was only since 2011 and present where its again the popular thing to do, Hence the madhock scenes in poland, france and elsewhere. Success is a dangerous thing.

Edited by OohAah... - 15 Dec 2017 at 2:50pm
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Would it help if we got more people on yokes at away trips? Everyone pulling weird faces, rubbing each others backs and talking about how sound the locals are. 

I suppose it wouldn't be any harm to test. I'm sure candidates for the experiment wouldn't be hard to find

I'll take two please 

Should we start a list?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 3:10pm

I'll take two please 

I'll take an e please Bob.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nSKQR0k6tUY
ThrowInDelap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThrowInDelap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 3:15pm

My tuppence, essentially a victim of it's own success.

You've an entire generation of people who grew up listening to tales of '88-'94, so when 2012-2016 happened they were raring to go and replicate the type of stories in the style of what they grew up listening to. But you've to couple this with generational change to a social media era etc. you get people basically trying to 'out-do'  each other for some sort of bizarre e-validation, and that's were the ignorant behavior comes from, in my opinion.

I'd highlight the difference between tournament & non-tournament behavior, two different animals, but I'm assuming you've already thought of this :) 

If time's a drug, then Big Ben is a huge needle injecting it into the sky.
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by ThrowInDelap ThrowInDelap wrote:

You've an entire generation of people who grew up listening to tales of '88-'94, so when 2012-2016 happened they were raring to go and replicate the type of stories in the style of what they grew up listening to. But you've to couple this with generational change to a social media era etc. you get people basically trying to 'out-do'  each other for some sort of bizarre e-validation, and that's were the ignorant behavior comes from, in my opinion.

I'd highlight the difference between tournament & non-tournament behavior, two different animals, but I'm assuming you've already thought of this :) 

Yeh and throw in the disposable income that Irish have now on as opposed to back then and all of a sudden everything on away trips is available and on the cards.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I'll take two please 

I'll take an e please Bob.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nSKQR0k6tUY

I was actually thinking of that song when I posted LOL
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by ThrowInDelap ThrowInDelap wrote:

Yeah, I have. Although I think the behaviour in Cardiff and Copenhagen was more akin to a tournament buzz. Not saying that's a bad thing in itself. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I had a yoke at a Dublin GAA game in Clones against Derry a good few years back. Never again.

I know of a few people who were on one when the riot broke out v England in 1995......LOL
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

I had a yoke at a Dublin GAA game in Clones against Derry a good few years back. Never again.

I know of a few people who were on one when the riot broke out v England in 1995......LOL

Sounds suspiciously like "I have a friend who...." etc etc !

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 3:50pm

I'll take two please 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSKQR0k6tUY

Dam already posted

Edited by horsebox - 15 Dec 2017 at 3:53pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 4:19pm

LOLLOL

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 4:23pm
I know this Irish lad from Mayo who had a go at a French fella in Paris at the Euros because the french lad asked him ''who is this guy from Northern Ireland managing your team?'' and he thought he said ''who is this girl from Northern Ireland.''  This was after yer man gave us free wine in his gaff.

Some behaviour is awful from Eire fans

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 4:27pm
LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Had a pint in the Dubliner in Copenhagen after the match. It was like a f**king zoo LOL. The tables absolutely wedged with lads standing on top of them, everyone of them with their shirts off. Every single minute at least one would fall off, I'm amazed none of them who fell got seriously hurt. I went up to the bar anyway and one of these heroes was at the bar beside me ordering a treble vodka red bull. He says to me why I don't have my shirt off and that I should take it off. I says I'm grand for taking my shirt off thanks and he asks why not, am I some kind of fag. WTF LOL
That George Best lookalike wasn't one of them, was he, by any chance (remember hearing about his antics in Bordeaux at the Euros)? LOL

I've only been going on away trips since the Euro 2016 qualifiers and even in that short time I've started avoiding these 'official' ybig meetup bars and instead meeting up with the likes of the Quinn Towers, D69er and co in other bars which have a better balance between being busy and having a good atmosphere but where you can also move around the place, get served and hold a conversation without wrecking your throat due to having to shout to make yourself heard.

But in that relatively short time that I've been going to away games, I've definitely noticed more idiots on away trips and they've been in cities that are handy to get to and at weekends - there was a fight in Charlie P's in Vienna the night before the game there last year which was swiftly sorted out, one fella was kicking a door in the old town in Lyon (a number of other lads reacted by chanting 'Are you English in Disguise' at him, and when I saw lads kicking footballs at upstairs windows in Copenhagen last month, I swiftly moved on. Angry

Thankfully, nowhere near the levels of hooliganism that English, Russian fans etc are infamous for, and I hope to God it never will be but this definitely needs nipped in the bud but that's easier said than done for many people (myself included, I admit) in case they get turned on if they do try to pull anyone up for acting the maggot, especially if the culprit is off their head on drugs. So unless, someone has a better idea of dealing with it, we could be stuck with these idiots tagging along with us, especially if it's a handy-to-get-to venue at a weekend (as Copenhagen and Vienna were).

As has been mentioned above though, I think airline and railway staff need to grow a pair (unlike the fans, they are getting paid to ensure everyone's comfort and safety after all) and either refuse boarding to people behaving badly under the influence of whatever they've been taking (or arrange for the police to meet and arrest them on arrival) would definitely help curb bad behaviour. Thumbs Up
We walked a few hundred yards up the road from the Dubliner and found a cracking little pub full of lunatics and geriatric hookers, far more entertaining than watching a bunch of ****s trying to be McGregor.
Along with social media (FB, Twitter, Joe.ie etc), he has a lot to answer for.  Unhappy
As an aside, what difference does it make if the culprit 'acting the maggot' is off their head on drugs? What about drink, is that not a drug? Or do we have a different moral code for alcohol?

Doesn't make any odds if people can handle their sh1t. Issue with coke in particular is the increased capacity for drink it brings. Once it wears off or they run out the drink really kicks in and it can get very messy.

is this true?? like is there scientific proof of this? genuinely inerested. what exactly happens in cases like that   
The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 5:46pm
As a non drinking, regular away supporter, I have only seen minimal change in the 15 years I have been going. The only change is my own tolerance towards the repetition of the same songs, the drunks etc etc. Don't think anything else has change much at all. 
Theres only one sport that matters..
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 6:26pm
In 10 years of going to away games I don’t think too much has changed. Footballs were being lamped around then just as much as now, lads falling over drunk, missing the actual games etc all just as prevalent then as now.
The older I get the less time I have for it tho, In Paris last year we avoided the large Irish bars, even in Georgia we only hit the hangar at 4am or so. It’s just an age thing for me anyway, thankfully I haven’t seen much fighting bar some 6 foot 5 Polish bird trying to bash Horsebox in Warsaw

Edited by 9fingers - 15 Dec 2017 at 6:27pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 6:56pm
News to me
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic