Print Page | Close Window

Research - Has our fans behaviour got worse?

Printed From: You Boys in Green
Category: International
Forum Name: Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
Forum Description: Qatar n' all in anyways
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=55972
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 11:54pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Research - Has our fans behaviour got worse?
Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Subject: Research - Has our fans behaviour got worse?
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 11:54am
Hi all,

I'm doing a Masters at the moment and for an assignment on it, I'm writing a piece on recent behaviour on away trips. I'm thinking it'll cover the Irish relationship with alcohol, if the whole McGregor "We're not here to take part, we're here to take over" attitude has had an impact, the desperate attempts by some people and some media to get the next viral video of whacky behaviour picked up, that sort of thing.

There was plenty of comment on here after the Wales game and the Denmark game in particular about behaviour and even Joe Duffy had picked up on that (admittedly harmless) chanting outside Victoria's Secret so I think it's an interesting topic to look into.  

So what do people think, have things worsened or has their always been an element that's been managed and hidden but is now more visible because of mobile phones, social media etc?

Any opinion, incidents, anecdotes or feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Replies:
Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:16pm

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:17pm

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:19pm

I've been going to away games since about 2001. I think there has been more acting the ballix since Poland. Social media is defo a major contributing factor and there are a lot more people traveling for the party than the football than there were 10 years ago. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

LOL LOL

-------------
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:22pm
Euro 2012 sparked it off.  Can't recall any kind of wackiness before that too much.  Maybe Jesus in Zilina.

For me the eejitry is fine as long as people don't start risking their lives or other peoples safety.  Euro 2016 in Paris was over the line with people climbing onto moving lorries.  Don't remember any of that in 2009 there. 

For me I would rather have our fans known for sh*t flags and paddywhackery than being hooligans so I'm not too concerened bar the safety issue.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:31pm
Just seems to be a different generational behavior for a start.
Lads of my age (51) give or take, I don't think we'd in our younger days remotely considered some of the cringey tricolor slogans (defacements?) that we see since Euro 2016, they are horrendous.

Definitely internet travel has also made the away trips more possible for event junkies/pissheads.  I believe many of those travelling to away trips (with or without tickets) wouldn't have the same raw passion for the team and the results than the core who travelled in the 70s/80s/90s, they go for a few days on the piss, go to the match pissed and don't take a bad result badly and just go on the piss again.

I certainly don't believe the behaviour has taken any turn for the worst, just some of it is terribly cringeworthy, attention-seeking and annoying.   The "look at us, aren't we Irish gas" stuff is fairly tiresome now at this stage.

Interesting topic 69er.  Good luck with it.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:34pm
I think, the good period of qualifying has of course brought with it the few bandwagoners who are only there for the craic.

But of course the increase in social media and technology has showcased a lot of what perhaps went unnoticed by the large majority before.

For example in book about fan stories (Can't remember name of it-but has been referenced on here a few times)  from Italia 90 there are tales of Irish fans fixing walls outside of pubs and dancing in Trevi Fountain for example would have been things akin to singing to nuns and fixing car tires which were done at Euro 2016.

Also to factor in the ease of travel and wages now. back for example in again Italia 90 the average wage wasn't as much as what it is now and flight prices were certainly not as cheap or a regular as they are today

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Euro 2012 sparked it off.  Can't recall any kind of wackiness before that too much. 
Paris 2004.
Celtic Boom time.
Scrotient level was very high.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:39pm
Worth mentioning also, in the interests of balance, and most will know this but there are plenty of the younger generation who do get what it's about and are interested in keeping up the away-match going traditions of the past rather than fall into the event junkie trap.

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:45pm

Euro 2012 sparked it off.  Can't recall any kind of wackiness before that too much.  Maybe Jesus in Zilina.

For me the eejitry is fine as long as people don't start risking their lives or other peoples safety.  Euro 2016 in Paris was over the line with people climbing onto moving lorries.  Don't remember any of that in 2009 there. 

For me I would rather have our fans known for sh*t flags and paddywhackery than being hooligans so I'm not too concerened bar the safety issue.
Agree with this. A lot give out about the flags and messing that goes on but its all harmless fun. Could be at a lot worse stuff

Saw lads on moving lorries in Bordeaux too

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Posted By: randyrandolph
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:47pm
2016 was obviously bad but Euro 2012 was a game changer for me. atmosphere changed completely. new wave of big groups of lads with no interest in the game - just getting f***ed up. access to cheap flights has clearly fueled it but i also think the english casual scene - through movies like football factory etc - has become popular among young irish lads. racism and general acting the c*** is also more prevalent and accepted (or at best ignored).

on a personal level - as an english born irishman, the ignorance we've encountered has gone up in recent years too. 

i've f***ked it off to be honest. these days i far prefer a trip to see a random european club game. 

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Worth mentioning also, in the interests of balance, and most will know this but there are plenty of the younger generation who do get what it's about and are interested in keeping up the away-match going traditions of the past rather than fall into the event junkie trap.

Of course. And it's not even the majority on even the more popular trips such as Wales and Denmark this campaign. There's always been a fierce amount of drink going on even going back to !994 when I started. It feels like I've witnessed more of it since 2012 though. But then, the older I get, the less likely I've been to being in the thick of it so maybe it's more visible to me now.

If I look back on the likes of Brussels 1997, Amsterdam 2000, Paris 2004, Stuttgart 2006, even Paris 2009 when we had very big numbers travelling and a large amount of event junkies I don't recall it being as noticeable or as many lads being barely able to stand. Could be rose tinted specs on my part.

-------------

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 1:04pm
I think there is no doubt that it has got significantly worse.  

It is more than drink these days as well.  Some don't even bother cleaning excessive white powder from their noses.  

I really noticed it first in Poland (although some comments re Paris 04 are valid).  The self-policing is gone now.  

Interesting topic and good luck with it.  However there may well be a backlash against the person who brings it into the public domain.  

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 1:07pm
In Wales I saw lads walking out to the stadium who couldn't walk. It was actually funny.  They were looking wobbly and I said to my mate ''yer man's going to go down'' and sure enough 2 seconds later he does this Bambi on ice.  So down he goes and his mate tries to help him up.  About a minute later after we passed them lads we end up stuck behind another couple of strugglers looking a bit shaky.  Sure enough down one goes and then a few seconds later down goes his pal.  It was unreal. It was like walking through no mans land!  Soldiers going down all around you.   They were so drunk they couldn't get up.  I doub't they even made it anywhere near the stadium. They were that drunk.

-------------

Posted By: Lostandfound
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 1:15pm

In Wales I saw lads walking out to the stadium who couldn't walk. It was actually funny.  They were looking wobbly and I said to my mate ''yer man's going to go down'' and sure enough 2 seconds later he does this Bambi on ice.  So down he goes and his mate tries to help him up.  About a minute later after we passed them lads we end up stuck behind another couple of strugglers looking a bit shaky.  Sure enough down one goes and then a few seconds later down goes his pal.  It was unreal. It was like walking through no mans land!  Soldiers going down all around you.   They were so drunk they couldn't get up.  I doub't they even made it anywhere near the stadium. They were that drunk.

With their 'football family' tickets in their back pockets.  C**ts. 

Posted By: DangerHere
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 1:23pm
I posted on a different thread about what I saw at the home game vs Denmark. A few lads from Cork (on the lash all day it would appear) at the front of 113 spitting towards Christian Eriksen whenever he came to take a corner and also when he celebrated his 1st goal.

One absolute asshat (I presume a Liverpool or Man City "supporter") at the beginning of the 2nd half walked from the back of the stand to the front to roar at Kasper Schmeichel how much of a w**ker his Dad is.

In saying that, I have experienced nothing but fun and good nature when I have travelled to away games

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

It is more than drink these days as well.  Some don't even bother cleaning excessive white powder from their noses.  

I really noticed it first in Poland (although some comments re Paris 04 are valid).  The self-policing is gone now.  

Interesting topic and good luck with it.  However there may well be a backlash against the person who brings it into the public domain.  

That's a fair point and I have considered that. It's only for internal college submission at present.

-------------

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 1:37pm
@Drumcondra 69er good look with this bud.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 1:40pm
My opinions in a nutshell....

People having fun in Italia '90 - it was the fime of our lives, we were mighty men.
People having fun in Frank '06 - feckin idiots

We've all got old, I'm sure most people think lads in their 20's nowadays with their fancy haircuts are apes too. Nothing to do with Irish football fans.

Posted By: irelandshirts
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 1:58pm
Interesting topic all right.My own opinion as someone pushing 40 and going to away games/tournaments the last 20 odd years is that everything is recorded now and on the internet in moments.

Most "away" stories had a certain amount of "you had to be there" about them.The spoken word filtered out the actual behaviour/level of drunkenness etc.Now every waking moment is filmed and like a night out with your mates when your on the dry its not as funny as they think it is or will remember it to be in the morning.

I'm sure if lots of footage like the present day existed of Irish fans on the lash in 1988 & 1990 existed certain men in their late 40s/early 50s would be morto just like a lot of lads will be in 20/30 years will be when their kids watch their behaviour in 2042.

Went on a leaving cert holiday in 1996 with 18 lads to Santa ponsa.im so f**king glad no smart phones existed then.A few years ago young lads let a tv programme follow them on their leaving cert holidays and it didn't alter their behaviour one bit.I personally would have been mortified if my family saw me act like that and worse still it was out for public consumption.

Young lads today couldn't care less and tbh it looks like they act worse when they know they are being films.This applies at international matches also and don't think its a reflection on Irish football fans more society in general

-------------
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 2:05pm

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 2:14pm
I despise the current look at me culture and unfortunately it is alive and well on Ireland trips. Match aside, the people I travel with are there for one reason and that is to have as much craic as possible. The difference though is that it’s spontaneous and it’s not for any other purpose than to amuse ourselves. A lot of the younger people on the trips now are just trying to out-craic each other so that they can post up a clip on Facebook or whatever. Social media is turning/has turned a sizeable proportion of a generation of people into self-obsessed, fame infatuated, vacuous morons, and this is reflected by their behaviour on Ireland trips. As for the aggro that has been mentioned a few times around recent trips, thankfully I haven’t seen any of this but that’s possibly because I tend to try to avoid the kind of places where these idiots would hang out.

Posted By: BohsinMunich
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 3:26pm
D69

Firstly, good luck with the Masters.

Interesting slant on the subject matter of Irish and Alcohol (older generations have always complained about the behaviour of the relevant younger generation), to revolve it around Irish Away fans.
As have been mentioned already Social media, change in drinking habits, type of drugs, finances are all relevant.
The only other sport where large numbers travel is rugby so maybe a parallel comparison over the same period might open up some other threads .
I have no experience of Rugby but some lads on here may well travel to both and could offer some input

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 3:29pm
Biggest problem I can see is the return of Charly in large quantities in Copenhagen especially with lads looking to fight anyone be they irish or danish.

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Posted By: muscles
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 3:48pm

There definitely was down outside the Moulin Rouge. 

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:13pm
So, in summary...

Posted By: houghton88
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by muscles muscles wrote:

2009 Had just as much of this carry on. Plenty of footballs being kicked around wildly under the Eiffel Tower. Plenty of fans pissing all over the tower in open view to the disgust of the locals / tourists. Plenty of random locals and tourists being verbally abused and showered in beer l  

-------------
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.

Posted By: d-mac
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:32pm

Ahhhhhh the good old do's and dont's on away trips.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by muscles muscles wrote:

I only remember a few scummers blocking traffic

-------------

Posted By: d-mac
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by DangerHere DangerHere wrote:

I posted on a different thread about what I saw at the home game vs Denmark. A few lads from Cork (on the lash all day it would appear) at the front of 113 spitting towards Christian Eriksen whenever he came to take a corner and also when he celebrated his 1st goal.

One absolute asshat (I presume a Liverpool or Man City "supporter") at the beginning of the 2nd half walked from the back of the stand to the front to roar at Kasper Schmeichel how much of a w**ker his Dad is.

In saying that, I have experienced nothing but fun and good nature when I have travelled to away games

They have a pointLOL

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by d-mac d-mac wrote:

They have a pointLOL

That was Ireland assistant Roy Keane

-------------

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:40pm
I'm not sure when the changed happened but I see it like this:

Irish fans have always drank way too much and some got messy, very messy but the football always came first.

In Japan 2002 and before the fans were there for the football. The reason for going was to support the national team and have a good time whilst there.

In Poland 2012 a significant portion, maybe 15-20% were there for the p1ss. It was like a stag do with a football match thrown in. 
In France 2016 that % was maybe 20-25%. 

and I only see it getting worse Disapprove

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by d-mac d-mac wrote:

They have a pointLOL

And the apple didn't fall far from that particular tree.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:46pm

LOL

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:51pm

Agree with this. The level of drinking has gone off the richter in the last decade or so. Poland 2012 was a game changer in that it was the virgin ground for the younger generation who brought home lots of war stories with them. Of course, any of those who missed out on Poland were not going to miss out on France 2016 and this upped the ante on the level of "craic".  Some of the "Tournament"/Big Game awy fans are using the football to replace their beano's in Santa Ponsa or Malia and take serious liberties with their oafish behavior.

As for the self-policing, it takes a brave man to stand up to a group of coked upped maggots masquarading as football fans.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Agree with this. The level of drinking has gone off the richter in the last decade or so. Poland 2012 was a game changer in that it was the virgin ground for the younger generation who brought home lots of war stories with them. Of course, any of those who missed out on Poland were not going to miss out on France 2016 and this upped the ante on the level of "craic".  Some of the "Tournament"/Big Game awy fans are using the football to replace their beano's in Santa Ponsa or Malia and take serious liberties with their oafish behavior.

As for the self-policing, it takes a brave man to stand up a group of coked upped maggots masquarading as football fans.

True. Can I quote you on that? LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:59pm
Football fans on cocaine is a truly Irish thing, as is excessive drinking. After two excellent and well positioned Simpsons GIFs I will leave someone else to insert the Helen Lovejoy one.
That isn't to say that the OP doesn't have a point, certainly in relation to ****s singing at nuns and wanting Facebook likes, but there is a touch of hysteria in there. Maybe it is because I like a pint and the odd mind altering substance, I have never felt the need to kick a football in a continental city though.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Football fans on cocaine is a truly Irish thing, as is excessive drinking. After two excellent and well positioned Simpsons GIFs I will leave someone else to insert the Helen Lovejoy one.
That isn't to say that the OP doesn't have a point, certainly in relation to ****s singing at nuns and wanting Facebook likes, but there is a touch of hysteria in there. Maybe it is because I like a pint and the odd mind altering substance, I have never felt the need to kick a football in a continental city though.

I'm not coming to any conclusion here or attempting to be in any way hysterical. Just asking the question and looking for feedback either way. There were lots of posts about it after Wales and Denmark so thought it might be a topic worth investigating as I had to do a report on something. 

It may not be an Irish thing but Irish football fans on sniff is relatively new, in fairness. There was f**k all of it around in Ireland till the 2000's and no one could afford it if there was. Was more yips and trips in the 90's and not much of that at the football! People doing sniff at football does make a huge difference in behaviour though, the capacity for booze is increased and people end up hitting the wall and crashing when they stop topping up on it.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

I'm not coming to any conclusion here or attempting to be in any way hysterical. Just asking the question and looking for feedback either way. There were lots of posts about it after Wales and Denmark so thought it might be a topic worth investigating as I had to do a report on something. 

It may not be an Irish thing but Irish football fans on sniff is relatively new, in fairness. There was f**k all of it around in Ireland till the 2000's and no one could afford it if there was. Was more yips and trips in the 90's and not much of that at the football! People doing sniff at football does make a huge difference in behaviour though, the capacity for booze is increased and people end up hitting the wall and crashing when they stop topping up on it.

I never meant to imply you were coming to a conclusion at all Drum, I think it is an interesting subject that merits investigation. I was merely saying that drink, drugs and football fans is international and that doing both, or either, doesn't automatically result in the uniquely Irish brand of ****ishness that has developed.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 5:43pm

I never meant to imply you were coming to a conclusion at all Drum, I think it is an interesting subject that merits investigation. I was merely saying that drink, drugs and football fans is international and that doing both, or either, doesn't automatically result in the uniquely Irish brand of ****ishness that has developed.

Ah, I know, wasn't aimed at you in particular. Just trying to put some context around it. Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 7:08pm
Yep different but the same really .
Everyone tries out do the the last, i remember GF saying that he was happy that they didn't have phone cameras around in the 80s .
Drink has always been number one on away trips  but power trips are something else .
Yer i have come across some real fools but it's best to give these a wide berth .
Younger fans seen to have access to more money than before in days gone by and the facebook,time of your life' only ever happened if you can load it on line quicker then anyone else .
Nothing stays the same or nothing ever changes , ohhhh to be Irish .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: brissy
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 7:23pm
I thought fans behaved well enough in Poland and France only two fans arrested, every one likes a good piss up

Posted By: UCDFAN
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 7:47pm
I read the thread title as a leading question with the opening poster wishing to have their bias confirmed.  I have read through the posts and no poster yet has self-identified with the targeted 'new' or 'young' fan community.  Maybe in time..... although by that time they may no longer be new or young.

There are RoI Fans who label different parts of the group, most usually to devalue other Football Fans.
"Olé, Olé Brigrade", "Bar-Stooler" "YBIG Team" that type of thing.   Maybe if the OP wants their work to be of some longevity value they could gather a list of internally labelled names that RoI Fans give each other.

My own contribution to Dos and Don'ts:
Do Learn to swim.
Don't stand up in the way of other Football Fans in the Stadium.

-------------
www.ucdsupporters.ie

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 7:56pm
I know taking coke and drinking excessively can fuel bad behaviour but it's still primarily down to the individuals themselves. If you're the type of person that purposefully takes coke in front of other supporters, then you're a show off 'look at me' arsehole irrespective whether you take drugs or not. 

I'm sure a fair percentage of us have taken or do take drugs, have friends that do and they don't behave like the way we seen some behaving in Copenhagen and Chisinau. 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by UCDFAN UCDFAN wrote:

I read the thread title as a leading question with the opening poster wishing to have their bias confirmed.  I have read through the posts and no poster yet has self-identified with the targeted 'new' or 'young' fan community.  Maybe in time..... although by that time they may no longer be new or young.

There are RoI Fans who label different parts of the group, most usually to devalue other Football Fans.
"Olé, Olé Brigrade", "Bar-Stooler" "YBIG Team" that type of thing.   Maybe if the OP wants their work to be of some longevity value they could gather a list of internally labelled names that RoI Fans give each other.

My own contribution to Dos and Don'ts:
Do Learn to swim.
Don't stand up in the way of other Football Fans in the Stadium.

Helpful contribution, cheers.

-------------

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I know taking coke and drinking excessively can fuel bad behaviour but it's still primarily down to the individuals themselves. If you're the type of person that purposefully takes coke in front of other supporters, then you're a show off 'look at me' arsehole irrespective whether you take drugs or not. 

I'm sure a fair percentage of us have taken or do take drugs, have friends that do and they don't behave like the way we seen some behaving in Copenhagen and Chisinau. 

Agree with this, maybe it's not so prominent with the older younger generation but a very high percentage of young adults here do take drugs, so maybe that explains the different attitudes towards it on here. The behavior is down to the person not what their putting into their bodies. I'm sure nearly everyone here has had a bit too much to drink on a trip and I don't see any big problem with that as long as it's harmless.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 8:50pm
Lots of people take drugs.
Lots of people take drugs and bother no one.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Lots of people take drugs.
Lots of people take drugs and bother no one.

Reminded me of this LOL

-------------

Posted By: Jocky Wilson
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 9:09pm
It's the same as any other drinking night in Ireland.

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 11:42am
Dont think bad behaviour of Irish football fans has incresed if you compare it to other walks of life, If you put 3000 people in eyre square on a sunday night of a bank holiday weekend well how would you think there behaviour would compare to 3000 football fans on the streets of cardiff on the eve of a match.  Think its safe to say that the authorities in this country have lost the war on drugs so as a nation we have a high usuage of Cocaine and other recreational drugs. In general I have no problem with people taking drugs once done so discretly, I hate when I see two lads coming out of a toilet cubicle after doing lines of coke can they not do this individually. Anyway as a previous poster said its how you behave after excess drink and drugs is the problem, most people are fine its just those who become aggresive which is a minority should be told from their friends to cop on or stay at home.
A poster on here @irelandfan recently encountered behaviour on a flight to copenhagen that made him feel uncomfortable with fans thinking it was ok to grab airline staff by the ass etc.. surely if the airline slapped a ban on these tools they wouldnt be long copping on as there choice of routes to and from games and familly holidays would be severly effected. Im gobsmacked to why airlines allow such behaviour and I see one Airline saying recently that the sale of alcohol should be restricted at airports so we all would suffer the conceqences of these fools. 
One thing I have noticed is in countries where beer in pubs is expensive like France and Denmark it has driven fans to purchase slabs of beer in local supermarkets for consumption in public areas without control, as in countries where beer is cheap like Serbia people are drinking in pubs and if they missbehave they are refused service and asked to leave a bigger deterent for people to be more civilised. Saw one lad in Tbilisi pour a can from a supermarket into a pint glass under a table in a bar, I mean like a Pint was about a euro ffs so where do you go from here.
Inside the stadium you have people asleep at games, I remember in Gdansk I sold a category A ticket to a lad from my hometown think the cost was about €150 and the lad slept through the whole game and to be fair that was his loss and not a cause of any inconvienece for his fellow fans but then you have the opposite when you have guys so pissed its like walking a tightrope trying to get to and from there seat saw an example of this in Andorra when a lad  well pissed tumbled down on top of a lad and his wife and were lucky to escape serious injury. Imagine if this happened in a restaurant in Ireland where a couple were having a meal and a lad who was extremly drunk fell on top of there table you can be sure that there would be a threat of legal proceedings against the restraunt owner for allowing the drunk person on their premises but this threat is not there in away stadia as its a lot of hassel to put in a claim outside your durastriction.
My first away game was the 2-2 draw in Amsterdam and to be fair I have not witnessed any serious missbehaviour but as I head into my mid 40's I tend to avoid the main gathering of Irish fans on the bigger trips last campaign I found the three Carrotts in belgrade fine, saw no one act the maggot. I missed Moldova but in Austria drank in a bar not far from charlie p's and had two great nights with a handfull of other Irish Fans, Georgia drank in the two main pubs but did encounter a small few arseholes but again no serious problems. Wales opted for weatherspoons and the live lounge and again no problems and finally in copenhagen arrived matchday had a few on the stadium concourse and back to the hotel bar afterwards.
So my first game over 17 years ago saw fans queing for brothels and asleep everwhere from too much weed to Copenhagen in 2017, Dont know if alot has changed just the fact that social media and internet forums make it easier to share these stories and events,

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 11:52am
Drumcondra, might be an idea to do a survey as part of your research. You;ll get more honsesty that way, and also it's very important that you have age in it, as suspect the higher that goes up the more negative the response. 

In my day it wore like this LOL

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Drumcondra, might be an idea to do a survey as part of your research. You;ll get more honsesty that way, and also it's very important that you have age in it, as suspect the higher that goes up the more negative the response. 

In my day it wore like this LOL

Very good point, much appreciated, Hoskins. Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Jocky Wilson Jocky Wilson wrote:

It's the same as any other drinking night in Ireland.

Is it though? Anecdotally it seems to have got worse.

So is it a case that drunken behaviour in general has got worse on any other drunken night in Ireland. 

Or is it just more visible due to mobile phones and social media?

Or is the fact that there's more footage on social media leading to copycat behaviour?

Does boorish behaviour of role models such as McGregor actually have an impact or is that just something the likes of Fintan O'Toole and others exaggerate?

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-crumlin-children-do-not-need-conor-mcgregor-s-gangsta-fantasies-1.3323179" rel="nofollow - http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-crumlin-children-do-not-need-conor-mcgregor-s-gangsta-fantasies-1.3323179  

Those are the sort of questions I'm interested in. 

-------------

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

A poster on here @irelandfan recently encountered behaviour on a flight to copenhagen that made him feel uncomfortable with fans thinking it was ok to grab airline staff by the ass etc.. surely if the airline slapped a ban on these tools they wouldnt be long copping on as there choice of routes to and from games and familly holidays would be severly effected. Im gobsmacked to why airlines allow such behaviour and I see one Airline saying recently that the sale of alcohol should be restricted at airports so we all would suffer the conceqences of these fools. 

As am I  - the passengers should be informed that their behaviour is unacceptable/illegal and that they are being met by the cops at the other end. Also their return flight is null and void if applicable and that they are blacklisted from this airline and any airlines in the same group. They could probably be blacklisted form other airlines in a similar vein to the barring orders of pubs. A couple of high profile stories of people with £10K bills due to alternative travel arrangements/flights being re-routed wouldn't be long sorting it out If your barred from Easyjet/Ryanair/Star alliance you are fuked (unless you are superdave Smile)

Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

you have the opposite when you have guys so pissed its like walking a tightrope trying to get to and from there seat saw an example of this in Andorra when a lad  well pissed tumbled down on top of a lad and his wife and were lucky to escape serious injury.

If it was behind the goal, it was my mrs that was sent flying, she got away with sore ribs

Behaviour at away games has got worse because in general peoples behaviour  has got worse - too many people cant distinguish between  a character and a complete dick and think they are the former when they are actually the latter , plenty think the whole world revolves around them and that people will find their tedious lives and antics interesting

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 2:05pm
Since the establishment of supporters club after supporters club following Euro 2012, there seems to be a gang mentality with large groups alright. I think that was the catalyst.

We've even heard particular supporters club members fighting amongst themsleves in Moldova FFS

Posted By: Trigboy 10
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 2:36pm
Wonder why the airline didn't take any action against that clown! Think Timmy Murphy the jockey got jailed for doing the exact same thing!

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 2:44pm

Are you sure that wasn't our assistant manager?

Posted By: eireland
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 4:13pm
I think the drinking side of things is the same as always but there's definitely more people coke off their heads. It doesn't bother me until I go into the stadium like in Copenhagen and the atmosphere is utter sh*t because half the fans are football family or lads who can barely stand let alone sing.

There were at least a 1000 regular fans who should have been in that stadium instead of others and they would have contributed. Makes it hard to get excited for the next aways. The others were very enjoyable however including Cardiff. A lot of carry on in the city although harmless but the atmosphere in the stadium was amazing.

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 4:25pm

Who has all the Persian rugs on these away trips and why aren't you sharing with me you tight fooks?

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 8:36pm
Flew Aer Lingus to Krakow once and it was a dry flight.

They had too much trouble with the Polskis getting tanked up on their way home.

Didnt stop some of them smuggling on vodka though 😆

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: Fatnacho
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 8:54pm
Biggest difference is that before you were wary of the home fans especially in Eastern Europe but now you’re more likely to get hassle from your own fans. There were killings in the Irish Rover in Copenhagen.Felt more relaxed and safe in the Danish bars.

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 9:43pm
When I started travelling away in the mid eighties the main focus was always the football. The drink was of secondary concern as were Whores and drugs. The craic was generally spontaneous and good humoured. In recent times especially at tournaments and marquee qualifiers, it occurs to me that at least for a certain number of fans the actual football is just part of the trip and not the reason for the trip. I also think developments in air travel has made it easier for party fans to go to games. How many twats would have travelled to Denmark if it took 2 days by rail and boat to get there ?

-------------

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 11:57pm
This is a difficult question to answer. I think 'yes' would broadly be the case, but none of us have seen each & every entire incident in every pub or square to say so definitively. 

A lot of it has to do with getting older too, these days, I would avoid big crowds in squares and singing Shane Long's on fire for 3 constant days, it more or less bores the sh*te out of me, but more than a decade ago, in the likes of Cyprus in 05/06 or Stuttgart in 06, I would have been in the middle of the crowd in the square or street, singing about Paul McGrath or Gary Breen for 3 days. I can't exactly criticise those that choose to do so today, even if tis not for me any more. 

Cabra did hit on something I agree with though, the good humour (toward others) has declined, back then you could tell a fella yer making a f**kin eejit of yerself, get down off that car bonnet or whatever, and they probably would, but these days , calling out something like that would be likely to get ya a box with several of the eejits  mates joining in. The self policing thing is a myth, it might be true for your own group, or lads ya know, but there are plenty who go to these things with a particularly bad stag do mentality, as long as they enjoy themselves, nobody else matters, and there has been a rise in that. 

It's hard to say overall, for example, was talking to one of the barmaids in Moldova after the Welsh had been there, and she said they were a lot worse behaved than us, standing up on furniture & breaking it, refusing to get down off it or cop on, bits of public nudity, all the while thinking they were hilarious, and that wasn't her experience of the Irish at all. Maybe the survey would be better directed at the likes of staff who worked in Charlie P's on both the recent occasions we were there to see if there was any great difference to them in the 3 years that passed between games, or those in Tbilisi. 

Sometimes ya avoid all the main square/pub stuff and arrive at the match and see half comatose zombies falling around the place, I think this always happened to an extent, but for whatever reason, it seems more noticeable in some venues, Denmark was full of them, but yet Cardiff wasn't, not to the same extent anyway, even though crowd numbers were broadly similar and the games were only weeks apart. 

Still though, my conclusion would be as it has been for more than 10 years, and it does come across as elitist, but generally the less people turn up in a venue, the better behaved it is, ya don't seem to get as many assholes at the further away games, probably because they are mainly there for the football (bad & all as it is) not a glorified stag do that happens to coincide with a match. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 8:40am
Had a pint in the Dubliner in Copenhagen after the match. It was like a f**king zoo LOL. The tables absolutely wedged with lads standing on top of them, everyone of them with their shirts off. Every single minute at least one would fall off, I'm amazed none of them who fell got seriously hurt. I went up to the bar anyway and one of these heroes was at the bar beside me ordering a treble vodka red bull. He says to me why I don't have my shirt off and that I should take it off. I says I'm grand for taking my shirt off thanks and he asks why not, am I some kind of fag. WTF LOL

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 8:57am
Sounds like you were in their wallsy.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Ecumenical Matter
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 9:13am
Best of luck with the research. Really interesting question.

It’s always difficult to compare different eras and the temptation is to see your younger self in a more positive light than might be warranted but I think things have got worse and will continue that way.

I have been going to Ireland away games for 30 years and in all that time I never saw the like of the game in Copenhagen. For such an important game it was disgusting to see so many “fans” with so little interest in what was happening on the pitch. Some were so pissed they could hardly stand, others just wanted more pints or selfies and others seemed to think the teams job was to entertain them. You can blame ticket allocations and all that but you cannot explain such a high percentage of a***oles.

There have always been a few morons at away games and lads who you knew would be trouble at home at the weekend. However they were a small minority and were on their best behaviour. There was peer pressure and a sense that we were representing our country and that the fans and the team were one unit, players doing their stuff on the pitch and us doing ours on the terrace or stand. There was an innocence about us as well. We were just happy to be there after years of heartache. At the games themselves I’ve seen grown men cry and atheists pray and a lad beating the bodhran until his hands bled. The games mattered and it hurt like hell when you lost.

Now I think the match is becomming an excuse to go on a stag weekend with your mates. Its cheaper than ever before and if you buy your beer in the supermarket you can get pissed on very little money compared to Ireland. I am all in favour of getting hammered in a foreign city and we shifted industrial quantities ourselves in Copenhagen but the match must come first and people who get scarce tickets should be in good enough nick to make proper use of them. Otherwise what is the ****ing point?

I think it has been building up over time and I don’t see it stopping. The match gives a licence to go over the top and you have a herd mentality. I don’t have a major problem with the antics like Victoria’s secret. You have an Irish pub next to a lingerie shop. What do you think will happen? Would have been funnier if it was a porn store but its harmless. What does bother me is the next phase which might lead to violence and turn the whole thing sour. Oh and could we drop the brain dead James McClean chant.

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 10:10am
I see this with groups of Irish lads over for United games in the bar I'm in...All going round looking like their in peaky blinders, acting like Conor Mc Gregor. It's embarrassing. By and large the English Mancunian people we serve are must sounder tbh

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 10:11am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000  Think its safe to say that the authorities in this country have lost the war on drugs so as a nation we have a high usuage of Cocaine and other recreational drugs. <br>[/QUOTE kevincronin2000  Think its safe to say that the authorities in this country have lost the war on drugs so as a nation we have a high usuage of Cocaine and other recreational drugs. 
[/QUOTE wrote:

I cannot give this enough laughing emojis, so I won't bother.
I cannot give this enough laughing emojis, so I won't bother.

-------------

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I remember myself and Mrs Claret were on the bus and spotted The Walls and Sham heading into 7 eleven in Copenhagen , I said Cans ??? The Mrs said and a few Hot dogs I would say LOL

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 10:13am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Had a pint in the Dubliner in Copenhagen after the match. It was like a f**king zoo LOL. The tables absolutely wedged with lads standing on top of them, everyone of them with their shirts off. Every single minute at least one would fall off, I'm amazed none of them who fell got seriously hurt. I went up to the bar anyway and one of these heroes was at the bar beside me ordering a treble vodka red bull. He says to me why I don't have my shirt off and that I should take it off. I says I'm grand for taking my shirt off thanks and he asks why not, am I some kind of fag. WTF LOL
Jaysis! LOL I have had a few good nights in gay bars, but this was my soundtrack to that post...

-------------

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 10:13am

That George Best lookalike wasn't one of them, was he, by any chance (remember hearing about his antics in Bordeaux at the Euros)? LOL

I've only been going on away trips since the Euro 2016 qualifiers and even in that short time I've started avoiding these 'official' ybig meetup bars and instead meeting up with the likes of the Quinn Towers, D69er and co in other bars which have a better balance between being busy and having a good atmosphere but where you can also move around the place, get served and hold a conversation without wrecking your throat due to having to shout to make yourself heard.

But in that relatively short time that I've been going to away games, I've definitely noticed more idiots on away trips and they've been in cities that are handy to get to and at weekends - there was a fight in Charlie P's in Vienna the night before the game there last year which was swiftly sorted out, one fella was kicking a door in the old town in Lyon (a number of other lads reacted by chanting 'Are you English in Disguise' at him, and when I saw lads kicking footballs at upstairs windows in Copenhagen last month, I swiftly moved on. Angry

Thankfully, nowhere near the levels of hooliganism that English, Russian fans etc are infamous for, and I hope to God it never will be but this definitely needs nipped in the bud but that's easier said than done for many people (myself included, I admit) in case they get turned on if they do try to pull anyone up for acting the maggot, especially if the culprit is off their head on drugs. So unless, someone has a better idea of dealing with it, we could be stuck with these idiots tagging along with us, especially if it's a handy-to-get-to venue at a weekend (as Copenhagen and Vienna were).

As has been mentioned above though, I think airline and railway staff need to grow a pair (unlike the fans, they are getting paid to ensure everyone's comfort and safety after all) and either refuse boarding to people behaving badly under the influence of whatever they've been taking (or arrange for the police to meet and arrest them on arrival) would definitely help curb bad behaviour. Thumbs Up

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 10:16am
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

That George Best lookalike wasn't one of them, was he, by any chance (remember hearing about his antics in Bordeaux at the Euros)? LOL

I've only been going on away trips since the Euro 2016 qualifiers and even in that short time I've started avoiding these 'official' ybig meetup bars and instead meeting up with the likes of the Quinn Towers, D69er and co in other bars which have a better balance between being busy and having a good atmosphere but where you can also move around the place, get served and hold a conversation without wrecking your throat due to having to shout to make yourself heard.

But in that relatively short time that I've been going to away games, I've definitely noticed more idiots on away trips and they've been in cities that are handy to get to and at weekends - there was a fight in Charlie P's in Vienna the night before the game there last year which was swiftly sorted out, one fella was kicking a door in the old town in Lyon (a number of other lads reacted by chanting 'Are you English in Disguise' at him, and when I saw lads kicking footballs at upstairs windows in Copenhagen last month, I swiftly moved on. Angry

Thankfully, nowhere near the levels of hooliganism that English, Russian fans etc are infamous for, and I hope to God it never will be but this definitely needs nipped in the bud but that's easier said than done for many people (myself included, I admit) in case they get turned on if they do try to pull anyone up for acting the maggot, especially if the culprit is off their head on drugs. So unless, someone has a better idea of dealing with it, we could be stuck with these idiots tagging along with us, especially if it's a handy-to-get-to venue at a weekend (as Copenhagen and Vienna were).

As has been mentioned above though, I think airline and railway staff need to grow a pair (unlike the fans, they are getting paid to ensure everyone's comfort and safety after all) and either refuse boarding to people behaving badly under the influence of whatever they've been taking (or arrange for the police to meet and arrest them on arrival) would definitely help curb bad behaviour. Thumbs Up
We walked a few hundred yards up the road from the Dubliner and found a cracking little pub full of lunatics and geriatric hookers, far more entertaining than watching a bunch of ****s trying to be McGregor.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 10:27am

The formation of a YBIG vigilante group is the obvious answer to this

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0733427/?ref_=tt_trv_qu" rel="nofollow - : Mr. Simpson, how do you respond to the charges that petty vandalism such as graffiti is down eighty percent, while heavy sack beatings are up a shocking nine hundred percent?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0144657/?ref_=tt_trv_qu" rel="nofollow - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0733427/?ref_=tt_trv_qu" rel="nofollow - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0144657/?ref_=tt_trv_qu" rel="nofollow - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0733427/?ref_=tt_trv_qu" rel="nofollow - pause] Well, touché.

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 10:39am

We walked a few hundred yards up the road from the Dubliner and found a cracking little pub full of lunatics and geriatric hookers, far more entertaining than watching a bunch of ****s trying to be McGregor.
Along with social media (FB, Twitter, Joe.ie etc), he has a lot to answer for.  Unhappy

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 10:42am

Along with social media (FB, Twitter, Joe.ie etc), he has a lot to answer for.  Unhappy
As an aside, what difference does it make if the culprit 'acting the maggot' is off their head on drugs? What about drink, is that not a drug? Or do we have a different moral code for alcohol?

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 10:55am

As an aside, what difference does it make if the culprit 'acting the maggot' is off their head on drugs? What about drink, is that not a drug? Or do we have a different moral code for alcohol?
It is but as mentioned on this thread and on some of the other away-day travel and general threads the problem is that it seems like these idiots are taking both.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 11:01am

Doesn't make any odds if people can handle their sh1t. Issue with coke in particular is the increased capacity for drink it brings. Once it wears off or they run out the drink really kicks in and it can get very messy.

-------------

Posted By: TBWRA
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 11:06am
Been going since the 90s and have not really seen any dramatic change in behaviour boys will always be boys if anything the shift to a more middle class level of support from a distict working class following we used to have more women invloved which is welcome , increased levels of paddy whacery and embarrasing flags but nothing to be alarmed about as far as I am concerned .

-------------
"The Football Grounds of Europe" about Dalymount that :- "You walk down lanes you'd expect to find a backstreet mechanic only to stumble onto a national stadium steeped in tradition and history"

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 11:06am
Booting footballs randomly has to be one of the most stupid things any group of fans can get up to.

Unless you're on the fans team.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 11:13am

It is but as mentioned on this thread and on some of the other away-day travel and general threads the problem is that it seems like these idiots are taking both.

And what is wrong with taking both? All any drug will do is lower inhibitions, which means the **** is there before drink or drugs are applied, it just becomes more prevalent after. The problem here is as much your own hang-ups as it is the people in question. There are plenty of people that go to Ireland games and take both and you probably never even notice them. Most of the people that act in a ****ish matter after drink and drugs take them to act in a ****ish manner.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 11:18am

Doesn't make any odds if people can handle their sh1t. Issue with coke in particular is the increased capacity for drink it brings. Once it wears off or they run out the drink really kicks in and it can get very messy.
I don't think it is about handling it or not, I think people are taking it to make their behaviour more acceptable to themselves. They want to act like that so they take things that lower their inhibitions.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 11:21am

Would it help if we got more people on yokes at away trips? Everyone pulling weird faces, rubbing each others backs and talking about how sound the locals are. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 11:28am

Would it help if we got more people on yokes at away trips? Everyone pulling weird faces, rubbing each others backs and talking about how sound the locals are. 

I suppose it wouldn't be any harm to test. I'm sure candidates for the experiment wouldn't be hard to find

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

I suppose it wouldn't be any harm to test. I'm sure candidates for the experiment wouldn't be hard to find
I had a yoke at a Dublin GAA game in Clones against Derry a good few years back. Never again.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: TBWRA
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 12:23pm
LOL

-------------
"The Football Grounds of Europe" about Dalymount that :- "You walk down lanes you'd expect to find a backstreet mechanic only to stumble onto a national stadium steeped in tradition and history"

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I had a yoke at a Dublin GAA game in Clones against Derry a good few years back. Never again.

That was a grand day out - we were drinking with some mad Russian farm labourers in a pub before the match. They were bouncing pool balls off their heads.

-------------

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 1:34pm

We'll include that in the case study

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I remember myself and Mrs Claret were on the bus and spotted The Walls and Sham heading into 7 eleven in Copenhagen , I said Cans ??? The Mrs said and a few Hot dogs I would say LOL
Beside our hotel and purveyors of a smashing marinated chicken
Skewer

Posted By: OohAah...
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 2:20pm
.... edited below

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 2:24pm

I'll take two please 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

Going to aways since O Shea missed a sitter in 2005 in France.

Hard to judge are things getting more out of control or not tbh and weighing that up against my aging patience and my general lack of effort to see or mix with the mentleness.

In Lyon, on the banks of river outside one of the irish bars. There was a mad game of ball going on, like folk football, lads clattering into eachother and the likes. balls booted up to Apartment windows. A car was damaged(although not at that moment) and the police came, closed the road, and diverted traffic away. 

On one hand it was great entertainment as all our lot agreed, but We had feck all interest in joining in. A Bandwagoner(sounded like a rugby fan, you know the type). Vocally decided to leave before something bad happened. Me and my mates knew it was grand. There seemed a slightly different brigade over for that match, more there for the occasion, and lads not experience of away trips or how to behave. I almost got a sense of lads not giving a f**k about what people thought of us. I.e pure Rugby and GAA heads. But look I know its wrong to generalise and as I said nothing bad happened.

But heres the thing that I suspect. I don't think We'd tolerate that sort of behavior in Ireland from away fans. I think We are very lucky when We go away, and lads regularly dont stray to far from that fine line between acceptable and not. I just cant see us warm to lads blocking our roads, banging cars, banging the Trams, kicking balls around, damaging the odd car/window. And I see a contradiction here, and I think if it did happen, their would probably be uproar and our own behaviour will be scrutinised for away trips.

In the meantime, from my experience, 99% of Irish fans behaviour is good natured and hilarious, and the 1% remaining generally get their head pulled in by their mates.

I for one am there for the football. The pints, the siteseeing and the craic were always an added bonus.

Actually between 2005 and 2010 following the irish team away was not the bandwagon thing to do, it was only since 2011 and present where its again the popular thing to do, Hence the madhock scenes in poland, france and elsewhere. Success is a dangerous thing.

Posted By: Deane
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 2:50pm

I'll take two please 

Should we start a list?

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 3:10pm

I'll take two please 

I'll take an e please Bob.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nSKQR0k6tUY" rel="nofollow - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nSKQR0k6tUY

-------------

Posted By: ThrowInDelap
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 3:15pm

My tuppence, essentially a victim of it's own success.

You've an entire generation of people who grew up listening to tales of '88-'94, so when 2012-2016 happened they were raring to go and replicate the type of stories in the style of what they grew up listening to. But you've to couple this with generational change to a social media era etc. you get people basically trying to 'out-do'  each other for some sort of bizarre e-validation, and that's were the ignorant behavior comes from, in my opinion.

I'd highlight the difference between tournament & non-tournament behavior, two different animals, but I'm assuming you've already thought of this :) 

-------------
If time's a drug, then Big Ben is a huge needle injecting it into the sky.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by ThrowInDelap ThrowInDelap wrote:

You've an entire generation of people who grew up listening to tales of '88-'94, so when 2012-2016 happened they were raring to go and replicate the type of stories in the style of what they grew up listening to. But you've to couple this with generational change to a social media era etc. you get people basically trying to 'out-do'  each other for some sort of bizarre e-validation, and that's were the ignorant behavior comes from, in my opinion.

I'd highlight the difference between tournament & non-tournament behavior, two different animals, but I'm assuming you've already thought of this :) 

Yeh and throw in the disposable income that Irish have now on as opposed to back then and all of a sudden everything on away trips is available and on the cards.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 3:31pm

I'll take two please 

I'll take an e please Bob.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nSKQR0k6tUY" rel="nofollow - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nSKQR0k6tUY

I was actually thinking of that song when I posted LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by ThrowInDelap ThrowInDelap wrote:

Yeah, I have. Although I think the behaviour in Cardiff and Copenhagen was more akin to a tournament buzz. Not saying that's a bad thing in itself. 

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 3:36pm

I know of a few people who were on one when the riot broke out v England in 1995......LOL

-------------

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 3:43pm

I know of a few people who were on one when the riot broke out v England in 1995......LOL

Sounds suspiciously like "I have a friend who...." etc etc !

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net