You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Research - Has our fans behaviour got worse?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 10:16am
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Had a pint in the Dubliner in Copenhagen after the match. It was like a f**king zoo LOL. The tables absolutely wedged with lads standing on top of them, everyone of them with their shirts off. Every single minute at least one would fall off, I'm amazed none of them who fell got seriously hurt. I went up to the bar anyway and one of these heroes was at the bar beside me ordering a treble vodka red bull. He says to me why I don't have my shirt off and that I should take it off. I says I'm grand for taking my shirt off thanks and he asks why not, am I some kind of fag. WTF LOL
That George Best lookalike wasn't one of them, was he, by any chance (remember hearing about his antics in Bordeaux at the Euros)? LOL

I've only been going on away trips since the Euro 2016 qualifiers and even in that short time I've started avoiding these 'official' ybig meetup bars and instead meeting up with the likes of the Quinn Towers, D69er and co in other bars which have a better balance between being busy and having a good atmosphere but where you can also move around the place, get served and hold a conversation without wrecking your throat due to having to shout to make yourself heard.

But in that relatively short time that I've been going to away games, I've definitely noticed more idiots on away trips and they've been in cities that are handy to get to and at weekends - there was a fight in Charlie P's in Vienna the night before the game there last year which was swiftly sorted out, one fella was kicking a door in the old town in Lyon (a number of other lads reacted by chanting 'Are you English in Disguise' at him, and when I saw lads kicking footballs at upstairs windows in Copenhagen last month, I swiftly moved on. Angry

Thankfully, nowhere near the levels of hooliganism that English, Russian fans etc are infamous for, and I hope to God it never will be but this definitely needs nipped in the bud but that's easier said than done for many people (myself included, I admit) in case they get turned on if they do try to pull anyone up for acting the maggot, especially if the culprit is off their head on drugs. So unless, someone has a better idea of dealing with it, we could be stuck with these idiots tagging along with us, especially if it's a handy-to-get-to venue at a weekend (as Copenhagen and Vienna were).

As has been mentioned above though, I think airline and railway staff need to grow a pair (unlike the fans, they are getting paid to ensure everyone's comfort and safety after all) and either refuse boarding to people behaving badly under the influence of whatever they've been taking (or arrange for the police to meet and arrest them on arrival) would definitely help curb bad behaviour. Thumbs Up
We walked a few hundred yards up the road from the Dubliner and found a cracking little pub full of lunatics and geriatric hookers, far more entertaining than watching a bunch of ****s trying to be McGregor.
Sponsored Links

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 10:27am

The formation of a YBIG vigilante group is the obvious answer to this

Kent Brockman: Mr. Simpson, how do you respond to the charges that petty vandalism such as graffiti is down eighty percent, while heavy sack beatings are up a shocking nine hundred percent?

Homer Simpson: Aw, you can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Forfty percent of all people know that.

Kent Brockman: I see. Well, what do you say to the accusation that your group has been causing more crimes than it's been preventing?

Homer Simpson: Oh, Kent, I'd be lying if I said my men weren't committing crimes.

Kent Brockman: [pause] Well, touché.

El Puto Amo
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 10:39am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Had a pint in the Dubliner in Copenhagen after the match. It was like a f**king zoo LOL. The tables absolutely wedged with lads standing on top of them, everyone of them with their shirts off. Every single minute at least one would fall off, I'm amazed none of them who fell got seriously hurt. I went up to the bar anyway and one of these heroes was at the bar beside me ordering a treble vodka red bull. He says to me why I don't have my shirt off and that I should take it off. I says I'm grand for taking my shirt off thanks and he asks why not, am I some kind of fag. WTF LOL
That George Best lookalike wasn't one of them, was he, by any chance (remember hearing about his antics in Bordeaux at the Euros)? LOL

I've only been going on away trips since the Euro 2016 qualifiers and even in that short time I've started avoiding these 'official' ybig meetup bars and instead meeting up with the likes of the Quinn Towers, D69er and co in other bars which have a better balance between being busy and having a good atmosphere but where you can also move around the place, get served and hold a conversation without wrecking your throat due to having to shout to make yourself heard.

But in that relatively short time that I've been going to away games, I've definitely noticed more idiots on away trips and they've been in cities that are handy to get to and at weekends - there was a fight in Charlie P's in Vienna the night before the game there last year which was swiftly sorted out, one fella was kicking a door in the old town in Lyon (a number of other lads reacted by chanting 'Are you English in Disguise' at him, and when I saw lads kicking footballs at upstairs windows in Copenhagen last month, I swiftly moved on. Angry

Thankfully, nowhere near the levels of hooliganism that English, Russian fans etc are infamous for, and I hope to God it never will be but this definitely needs nipped in the bud but that's easier said than done for many people (myself included, I admit) in case they get turned on if they do try to pull anyone up for acting the maggot, especially if the culprit is off their head on drugs. So unless, someone has a better idea of dealing with it, we could be stuck with these idiots tagging along with us, especially if it's a handy-to-get-to venue at a weekend (as Copenhagen and Vienna were).

As has been mentioned above though, I think airline and railway staff need to grow a pair (unlike the fans, they are getting paid to ensure everyone's comfort and safety after all) and either refuse boarding to people behaving badly under the influence of whatever they've been taking (or arrange for the police to meet and arrest them on arrival) would definitely help curb bad behaviour. Thumbs Up
We walked a few hundred yards up the road from the Dubliner and found a cracking little pub full of lunatics and geriatric hookers, far more entertaining than watching a bunch of ****s trying to be McGregor.
Along with social media (FB, Twitter, Joe.ie etc), he has a lot to answer for.  Unhappy
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 10:42am

Along with social media (FB, Twitter, Joe.ie etc), he has a lot to answer for.  Unhappy
As an aside, what difference does it make if the culprit 'acting the maggot' is off their head on drugs? What about drink, is that not a drug? Or do we have a different moral code for alcohol?
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 10:55am

As an aside, what difference does it make if the culprit 'acting the maggot' is off their head on drugs? What about drink, is that not a drug? Or do we have a different moral code for alcohol?
It is but as mentioned on this thread and on some of the other away-day travel and general threads the problem is that it seems like these idiots are taking both.

The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 11:01am

Doesn't make any odds if people can handle their sh1t. Issue with coke in particular is the increased capacity for drink it brings. Once it wears off or they run out the drink really kicks in and it can get very messy.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
TBWRA View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBWRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 11:06am
Been going since the 90s and have not really seen any dramatic change in behaviour boys will always be boys if anything the shift to a more middle class level of support from a distict working class following we used to have more women invloved which is welcome , increased levels of paddy whacery and embarrasing flags but nothing to be alarmed about as far as I am concerned .
"The Football Grounds of Europe" about Dalymount that :- "You walk down lanes you'd expect to find a backstreet mechanic only to stumble onto a national stadium steeped in tradition and history"
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 11:06am
Booting footballs randomly has to be one of the most stupid things any group of fans can get up to.

Unless you're on the fans team.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 11:13am

It is but as mentioned on this thread and on some of the other away-day travel and general threads the problem is that it seems like these idiots are taking both.

And what is wrong with taking both? All any drug will do is lower inhibitions, which means the **** is there before drink or drugs are applied, it just becomes more prevalent after. The problem here is as much your own hang-ups as it is the people in question. There are plenty of people that go to Ireland games and take both and you probably never even notice them. Most of the people that act in a ****ish matter after drink and drugs take them to act in a ****ish manner.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Doesn't make any odds if people can handle their sh1t. Issue with coke in particular is the increased capacity for drink it brings. Once it wears off or they run out the drink really kicks in and it can get very messy.
I don't think it is about handling it or not, I think people are taking it to make their behaviour more acceptable to themselves. They want to act like that so they take things that lower their inhibitions.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 11:21am

Would it help if we got more people on yokes at away trips? Everyone pulling weird faces, rubbing each others backs and talking about how sound the locals are. 
El Puto Amo
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 11:28am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Would it help if we got more people on yokes at away trips? Everyone pulling weird faces, rubbing each others backs and talking about how sound the locals are. 

I suppose it wouldn't be any harm to test. I'm sure candidates for the experiment wouldn't be hard to find
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

I suppose it wouldn't be any harm to test. I'm sure candidates for the experiment wouldn't be hard to find
I had a yoke at a Dublin GAA game in Clones against Derry a good few years back. Never again.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
TBWRA View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBWRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 12:23pm
LOL
"The Football Grounds of Europe" about Dalymount that :- "You walk down lanes you'd expect to find a backstreet mechanic only to stumble onto a national stadium steeped in tradition and history"
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I had a yoke at a Dublin GAA game in Clones against Derry a good few years back. Never again.

That was a grand day out - we were drinking with some mad Russian farm labourers in a pub before the match. They were bouncing pool balls off their heads.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

We'll include that in the case study
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Sounds like you were in their wallsy.

I remember myself and Mrs Claret were on the bus and spotted The Walls and Sham heading into 7 eleven in Copenhagen , I said Cans ??? The Mrs said and a few Hot dogs I would say LOL
Beside our hotel and purveyors of a smashing marinated chicken
Skewer
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 2:20pm
.... edited below

Edited by OohAah... - 15 Dec 2017 at 2:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic