You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CaoimhĂ­n Kelleher

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9495969798 173>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

Kelleher was poor last night and does need first team games. No point being over the top, he is still a good keeper but there is only one way to keep sharp. He was far from our only issue but he was badly at fault for the goal

He wasnt "poor" last night - his handling and distribution were excellent. As regards the goal, it is an excellent delivery low and flat which mean the keeper cannot come for it, as it is likely to get a touch along the way and then he is in no mans land. He rightly assumes there will be a touch and is then caught out when that touch doesnt come. Maybe he should have done better at that point, but that would be harsh imo - the defence has to deal with that cross given it's height and trajectory.

Lads can bang on about ft football and Travers wonderful season etc. but I'm not having that he has been poor over the last two games. He looks an extremely competent assured keeper and I think dropping him for Saturday's game would be a huge mistake.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 2:37pm
The error was Stevens & Egan losing their men, though Egan looked liked he was still going to get a head to the ball... until Duffy literally pushes him out of the way & then neither of them get it. Any touch from either of them, that low & fast & the ball pings anywhere, but their tangled miss happens too close to Kelleher so he can't commit until it's already too late.

People being ridiculously harsh here.

If you're looking for "match sharpness", Travers hasn't played a game since May 7th. Kelleher just played 2 in 5 days. Obviously stick with Kelleher.
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 3:14pm
That goal happens very regularly. Keepers are put in a near impossible position if their defenders don't deal with it. It happens 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Bad mistake, but travers had a mare against Serbia. Don’t think Kelleher is the issue

Goalkeeper is a “good headache” for us. Any which way you look we have options. And if push came to shove and we have 4 injuries to our regulars you could look to O’Leary who plays intermittently in the Championship or even revert to our half centurion in Randolph.

After that we have a small number of young players who look like they are making the step, a number who just aren’t ready and then a spread of older players that are declining, out of favour or not good enough. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Kelleher made a mistake and is getting absolutely slaughtered over it.

Many a goal keeper have misread crosses like that and conceded a goal.

I wouldn't put huge blame on Kelleher. Could have done better but you see those types of goals.
We have a lot bigger problems.

I made a point that seeing Kelleher this season I would have some doubts about his shot stopping ability compared to Alisson at Liverpool and what we have seen from Bazunu so far
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I wouldn't put huge blame on Kelleher. Could have done better but you see those types of goals.

I made a point that seeing Kelleher this season I would have some doubts about his shot stopping ability compared to Alisson at Liverpool and what we have seen from Bazunu so far

He didnt even misread the cross, he read it perfectly, the defenders didnt do the job that he rightfully expected them to do.

Alisson is possibly the best keeper in the world atm. Bazunu is our#1 but was unavailable. Kelleher as our #2 is the least of our worries. Kelleher has made big saves in all the games he has featured in for LFC this season including in a cup final where he kept a clean sheet.
Idah Dream!
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

He didnt even misread the cross, he read it perfectly, the defenders didnt do the job that he rightfully expected them to do.

Alisson is possibly the best keeper in the world atm. Bazunu is our#1 but was unavailable. Kelleher as our #2 is the least of our worries. Kelleher has made big saves in all the games he has featured in for LFC this season including in a cup final where he kept a clean sheet.

Why didn't he catch it? The ball bounced about 3 yards from the goal, his territory for me.

Unfortunately when keepers feck up it is highlighted more for obvious reasons. 
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

International keepers need to be playing regularly regardless of level imo (randolf got away with it for a bit as we didn’t have much back up and tbf to him he had a lot of first team club appearances behind him in past)

Wayne Hennessey is Burnleys no.2. Played a whopping 3 games all season (August, December & January). Just put in a fantastic performance to take them to the WC.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

International keepers need to be playing regularly regardless of level imo (randolf got away with it for a bit as we didn’t have much back up and tbf to him he had a lot of first team club appearances behind him in past)

Wayne Hennessey is Burnleys no.2. Played a whopping 3 games all season (August, December & January). Just put in a fantastic performance to take them to the WC.

And I think their other keeper is Leicester's #2 Danny Ward who hasnt played a whole lot either and is also a decent keeper.

Idah Dream!
The Fly View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

He has over 400 senior appearances and is 35. You can get away with a lack of regular games if you have that. Kelleher has neither. He was also quite poor for the goal that was ruled out. 

Edited by The Fly - 09 Jun 2022 at 5:36pm
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 6:11pm
I see its still Blur v Oasis in here. Jaysus...

Think some of the criticism of Kelleher is ridiculous. Glad someone else pointed out that Duffy literally pushed Egan away as he was about to head it clear. Hard for Kelleher to expect that! Nonetheless  talking to a few goalies, concensus is that if he was standing a yard further out he would have saved it - it was the retreating that goosed him. Hard to resist retreating when a cross has that quality mind you.

Otherwise he was decent and distribution was good last night.

Didn't see Armenia game but don't think he did much wrong in that.

In previous games he was excellent including some worldies (contrary to what is suggested above) away to Hungary.

Bazunu is no.1 at the mo, completely on merit, but actually he hasn't been near faultless as some suggested above. Even in his best game against Serbia at home he lost his bearings on a free from 50 yards which hit the crossbar and he went walkabout a few mins later and needed McClean to rescue him. But he was 19, that's OK, he made some worldies  besides and he has improved since. Great if he gets Southampton move and becomes first choice (no good if he is benching). Delighted for him.

I must admit I've seen very little of Travers. Obviously he had a nightmare in Serbia. That put him down the pecking order. Great to hear he is doing so well at his club since.

In short, nothing wrong with SK picking Kelleher as his 2nd choice and it would be perfectly legitimate to keep doing that for next two games. However, nothing to do with last night, but I do personally think Travers should get at least one start - he deserves the chance to show Belgrade was a one off. But with SKs neck back on the line he obviously has to pick whoever he (not we) trusts more.

Three fine young keepers lads, for God's sake lets cut out the vitriol against any of them. People have their favourites, that's fine, but no need to denigrate the others.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 6:45pm
Does Duffy push Egan, because it also looks like Egan is wrestling with his marker who then falls to the ground and that puts Egan off balance.
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Does Duffy push Egan, because it also looks like Egan is wrestling with his marker who then falls to the ground and that puts Egan off balance.

Sorry, not sure, wasn't trying to blame Duffy more just saying it looked for all the world as though Egan was about to head it
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 11:59am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Travers made one and that was it for him for over a year and counting. Bazunu came in and has been close to flawless, then got a couple of injuries. Kelleher looks to have a mistake in him and Travers has come on a long way in that year since Serbia so it doesn't really make sense to have the inexperienced Kelleher starting given the other option available.

He hasn't played in a month. He hasn't played for us in 15 months. It's not like we've been short of games since, you know. Kelleher won the FA Cup since then, Travers team lost at home to Boreham Wood. Goodness knows what chaos he's capable of against proper players at a decent level, on a regular basis. 

When Bazunu made lots of errors early on, (1 clean sheet in first 6 games) it was part of his learning curve. When Kelleher lets goals in that were the fault of others, apparantly he needs to be dropped, to not just second if that wasn't enough humiliation, but third choice.

After 4 games as undisputed No. 1, he has the right to believe he's our No. 1, as Bazunu did when he had his run. His performances are way better than most of his teammates atm, and he's the least of our worries. The defence is fragile enough as it is. Changing the keeper again isn't going to help it's consistency or understanding at all. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Travers made one and that was it for him for over a year and counting. Bazunu came in and has been close to flawless, then got a couple of injuries. Kelleher looks to have a mistake in him and Travers has come on a long way in that year since Serbia so it doesn't really make sense to have the inexperienced Kelleher starting given the other option available.

He hasn't played in a month. He hasn't played for us in 15 months. It's not like we've been short of games since, you know. Kelleher won the FA Cup since then, Travers team lost at home to Boreham Wood. Goodness knows what chaos he's capable of against proper players at a decent level, on a regular basis. 

When Bazunu made lots of errors early on, (1 clean sheet in first 6 games) it was part of his learning curve. When Kelleher lets goals in that were the fault of others, apparantly he needs to be dropped, to not just second if that wasn't enough humiliation, but third choice.

After 4 games as undisputed No. 1, he has the right to believe he's our No. 1, as Bazunu did when he had his run. His performances are way better than most of his teammates atm, and he's the least of our worries. The defence is fragile enough as it is. Changing the keeper again isn't going to help it's consistency or understanding at all. 

What rubbish. Bazunu is the No. 1. 
Give it up FFS
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Give it up FFS

Smile At least Planning is consistent. I'm a huge Kelleher fan and think he is every bit as good as Bazunu, but I fully accept that Bazunu has the jersey and deserves to keep it (assuming circumstances dont change again), but the calls for Kelleher to now be demoted to #3 for the position on the back of a defensive mix up are idiotic imo so I'm with Planning on that one.
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 12:27pm
I'm just assuming Planning is on a pisstake to be honest. Does it well though, to be fair to him.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Give it up FFS

Smile At least Planning is consistent. I'm a huge Kelleher fan and think he is every bit as good as Bazunu, but I fully accept that Bazunu has the jersey and deserves to keep it (assuming circumstances dont change again), but the calls for Kelleher to now be demoted to #3 for the position on the back of a defensive mix up are idiotic imo so I'm with Planning on that one.

He should be number 3 because he is sitting on his hole at a Premier League team and we will have 2 starters at Premier League clubs next season,  both of whom have impressed at a lower level and worked their way to the Premier League, rather than just playing a few Mickey mouse cup games every season.

Very simple.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9495969798 173>
  Share Topic