You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CaoimhĂ­n Kelleher

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9293949596 174>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 8:44am
Seen signs in games Kelleher has played for Liverpool and us this season, I just don't think he makes himself big enough in goal to stop shots. So while he is quick and Good with his feet and won't make too many mistakes, I think he concedes too many goals when they are hit well. Verus Bazunu and Alisson where they kind of make themselves big and saves look easy while also then pulling off world class saves.

Bazunu still has a mistake in him too but overall his ceiling is way higher.

Kelleher is probably at risk of his N.2 spot now with Travers playing in the PL
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 8:47am
If Bazunu’s move comes off and is a success, and Travers establishes himself as a first team PL keeper, than Kelleher’s hand will be forced somewhat. I actually think that his record, prizes and letter of recommendation from Klopp could mean a PL move. But the developments in the careers of Bazunu and Travers mean that it is unlikely Kelleher could hold the Number 1 jersey at national level playing the amount of football he does.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 8:53am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Seen signs in games Kelleher has played for Liverpool and us this season, I just don't think he makes himself big enough in goal to stop shots. So while he is quick and Good with his feet and won't make too many mistakes, I think he concedes too many goals when they are hit well. Verus Bazunu and Alisson where they kind of make themselves big and saves look easy while also then pulling off world class saves.

I've a good mate from Liverpool who's a ST holder and when Kelleher first broke through he didn't rate him at all, he used to say that he wouldn't do much wrong persĂ©, but every shot on target seemed to go in. This year I checked in with him considering Kelleher was getting so much press and he said he's definitely improved and he's delighted with him as No.2, but wouldn't fancy having him for the whole season if Allison went down long term. 

Another keeper in the PL that seems to let every shot on target in is Kepa. He'll make the odd save but a lot of the time when Chelsea concede and he's in goal, you just sort of feel like that goal wouldn't go in if Mendy was playing. I get the same feeling with Kelleher, realistically I don't think Bazunu or Travers would have saved the Armenian goal for example, but part of me can't shake the feeling they would have. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 9:30am
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

I've a good mate from Liverpool who's a ST holder and when Kelleher first broke through he didn't rate him at all, he used to say that he wouldn't do much wrong persĂ©, but every shot on target seemed to go in. This year I checked in with him considering Kelleher was getting so much press and he said he's definitely improved and he's delighted with him as No.2, but wouldn't fancy having him for the whole season if Allison went down long term. 

Another keeper in the PL that seems to let every shot on target in is Kepa. He'll make the odd save but a lot of the time when Chelsea concede and he's in goal, you just sort of feel like that goal wouldn't go in if Mendy was playing. I get the same feeling with Kelleher, realistically I don't think Bazunu or Travers would have saved the Armenian goal for example, but part of me can't shake the feeling they would have. 

Apologies in advance, but this is absolute horsesh*t as is the ott criticism of Kelleher for both the Armenian (worldie in off the post) and Ukrainian goals, it's pathetic tbh. He's an excellent young keeper. Bazunu pulled out with a back injury, he was next in line and he played well in both games imo, assured, composed, good on the ball. Slight question mark over him for the goal last night, but tbf he cant move until the ball isnt touched (which it should have been) by the players in front of him, so I dont think the level of vitriol directed at him is at all fair. All the nonLFC fans and Bazunu fans seem to want to lump on, its pathetic really.

Delighted for Bazunu btw, great news for both him and Ireland! However throwing Kelleher out with the bathwater is just stupid!
Idah Dream!
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 9:46am
Bazunu when he played his first game against Luxembourg looked far more assured in goal and exuded confidence. Throughout the rest of the year, he got even better.

I cannot see the same from Kelleher in the last four games hes played. Some people are taking it very personally when its suggested he's 3rd choice but until he is playing week in, week out and performing, he cannot be considered ahead of Travers. Who is seriously suggesting being 2nd choice at Liverpool is comparable to the season Travers just had for a Championship promoted side?

For me, Bazunu is the best of the lot and his development at such a young age is extremely promising.
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
Deco79 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deco79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:06am
Lets have it right if he wasn't at Liverpool there'd be less people defending him! He looks a very good goalkeeper in the making and for his own sake he should be looking for a loan this season, he's been involved with Liverpool's first team for about 3 season's now and no doubt he's learned a lot on the training ground and being involved in league winning/chasing squads and big Finals.
If he's playing regularly there's less chance of that goal happening, Defenders getting off very lightly too for allowing it to bounce in the box, delivery was unreal but between the defending and the keeper a poor goal to give away.
And yeah I am a Manchester United fan but I want all Ireland players to do well at whatever clubs they are at because we benefit in the end.
Would have been like me a few years ago clamouring for Kieran O'Hara to be involved (yes Kelleher is clearly a more promising keeper) and then defending everything about him...
Fatnacho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatnacho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:13am
Some of the blame for the goal lies with the defenders not holding the line and dropping before the ball is played. A well organised defence would’ve held the line so either the Ukrainian player would be deemed offside for interfering with play or allowing Kelleher space to come out and claim it. By dropping so deep, it played the attacker on and forced Kelleher to take 2 steps back which meant he couldn’t cover the angle. Admittedly it was a great ball in but the goal was avoidable if Kelleher kept his standing position.
Otherwise, I thought his handling and positioning throughout the game was near faultless. Amazing how many goalkeeping experts there are on here now. Judging by some of the reactions, Kelleher would struggle to get a game in the LoI now.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Deco79 Deco79 wrote:

Lets have it right if he wasn't at Liverpool there'd be less people defending him! He looks a very good goalkeeper in the making and for his own sake he should be looking for a loan this season, he's been involved with Liverpool's first team for about 3 season's now and no doubt he's learned a lot on the training ground and being involved in league winning/chasing squads and big Finals.
If he's playing regularly there's less chance of that goal happening, Defenders getting off very lightly too for allowing it to bounce in the box, delivery was unreal but between the defending and the keeper a poor goal to give away.
And yeah I am a Manchester United fan but I want all Ireland players to do well at whatever clubs they are at because we benefit in the end.
Would have been like me a few years ago clamouring for Kieran O'Hara to be involved (yes Kelleher is clearly a more promising keeper) and then defending everything about him...

At least this is slightly more balanced, but again I think its fails to recognise some of Kelleher's achievements by bringing up Kieran O'Hara - a lad who never even made the senio squad at MUFC?

Kelleher is the #2 for Ireland and Liverpool. I dont think Travers should be ahead of him in the pecking order, I have no problem with Bazunu being #1, he has that spot on merit. Kelleher is also an excellent young keeper and Irish fans trying to stick the boot in after a marginal error should have a good long look at themselves!
Idah Dream!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:17am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

At least this is slightly more balanced, but again I think its fails to recognise some of Kelleher's achievements by bringing up Kieran O'Hara - a lad who never even made the senio squad at MUFC?

Kelleher is the #2 for Ireland and Liverpool. I dont think Travers should be ahead of him in the pecking order, I have no problem with Bazunu being #1, he has that spot on merit. Kelleher is also an excellent young keeper and Irish fans trying to stick the boot in after a marginal error should have a good long look at themselves!

Do you think Kelleher had a better season than Travers last year? And I'm not referring to medals won.
You don't know Bo?

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Fatnacho Fatnacho wrote:

Some of the blame for the goal lies with the defenders not holding the line and dropping before the ball is played. A well organised defence would’ve held the line so either the Ukrainian player would be deemed offside for interfering with play or allowing Kelleher space to come out and claim it. By dropping so deep, it played the attacker on and forced Kelleher to take 2 steps back which meant he couldn’t cover the angle. Admittedly it was a great ball in but the goal was avoidable if Kelleher kept his standing position.
Otherwise, I thought his handling and positioning throughout the game was near faultless. Amazing how many goalkeeping experts there are on here now. Judging by some of the reactions, Kelleher would struggle to get a game in the LoI now.

Indeed, marginal error perhaps, no more than that and otherwise he was excellent, good handling, composure and distribution. It's like lads just have to put the boot in order to prove they are right about Bazunu, rather than just being thankful we have 3 top class young keepers.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

Do you think Kelleher had a better season than Travers last year? And I'm not referring to medals won.

I think Kelleher is a better keeper than Travers full stop, but I'm not the manager. I also dont see any need to criticise Traver,s Bazunu or Kelleher unduly to try and prove my point. 3 excellent young keepers. Atm the pecking order is Baz, Caoimhin, Trav - I dont see why that should change. Let's see how the first 6 months of next season go - if Travers maintains his form in the PL and Kelleher remains mostly on the bench then the pecking order may change, but I dont see any reason why it should at this point.
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:40am
I don't see how you can categorically say that when we have seen so little of Kelleher in senior football. He has to go out and play more games to show that he's good enough, Travers has done that, so has Bazunu. From what little we have seen of Kelleher he looks decent but no more than that. I have yet to see him produce any of the "how did he save that" moments that both Bazunu and Travers have done. Whereas the other two young keepers have been exceptional - Travers for his club at a very decent level, Bazunu for his loan club and his country.

I can't see how the current pecking order can be anything other than 1. Bazunu 2. Travers and 3. Kelleher being honest.

Edited by You Tell Me - 09 Jun 2022 at 10:41am
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:47am

Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

Apologies in advance, but this is absolute horsesh*t as is the ott criticism of Kelleher for both the Armenian (worldie in off the post) and Ukrainian goals, it's pathetic tbh. He's an excellent young keeper. Bazunu pulled out with a back injury, he was next in line and he played well in both games imo, assured, composed, good on the ball. Slight question mark over him for the goal last night, but tbf he cant move until the ball isnt touched (which it should have been) by the players in front of him, so I dont think the level of vitriol directed at him is at all fair. All the nonLFC fans and Bazunu fans seem to want to lump on, its pathetic really.

Delighted for Bazunu btw, great news for both him and Ireland! However throwing Kelleher out with the bathwater is just stupid!

Simmer down man LOLLOL

I'm not directing any vitriol at him, just relating something from a mate of mine who is at Anfield week in week out. I also said "realistically" I know the other keepers wouldn't have saved the Armenia goal, it's just a feeling I can't shake. Some keepers give you a sense of confidence in the backline, and I haven't got that with Kelleher (yet). That's all. I'm not abusing the lad or anything, I hope he makes a move club-wise and shows us all what he's capable of every week. But until then I don't think it's unfair to suggest he shouldn't be 2nd choice automatically. Travers has more than proven himself after his poor showing away to Serbia. 
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:48am
anyone who thought it was better to play kellegher instead of travers is either a Liverpool fan, from cork or off their head.

That’s not to say kellegher won’t turn out to be a better keeper than travers, who knows. But considering the club appearances and performances this season, travers must be devestated that this lad got in before him. 

International keepers need to be playing regularly regardless of level imo (randolf got away with it for a bit as we didn’t have much back up and tbf to him he had a lot of first team club appearances behind him in past)

Edited by Wheelo - 09 Jun 2022 at 10:49am
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Fatnacho Fatnacho wrote:

Absolutely fair but I would level more criticism at my goalkeeper than you have here for that. Imo it's the keeper and main central defenders' responsibility to organise that defence and keep that line. So Duffy & Kelleher are both at fault here. The line dropping off causes Kelleher to have to step back, but any time the ball bounces like that in your box I'm looking at my keeper big time. 

Whether that's him taking up a more advanced position for the free or what, I'm not sure, I'm not a GK expert, but it's just a feeling I can't shake. 

It's not based in logic on the shot stopping btw because he has made plenty of worldie saves this season when he's made an appearance, but I just don't think he's the automatic #2 
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:53am

Given Klopps German links, maybe a season long loan to Bundesliga or 2 Bundesliga could happen.

St Pauli would be nice!

jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

anyone who thought it was better to play kellegher instead of travers is either a Liverpool fan, from cork or off their head.

That’s not to say kellegher won’t turn out to be a better keeper than travers, who knows. But considering the club appearances and performances this season, travers must be devestated that this lad got in before him. 

International keepers need to be playing regularly regardless of level imo (randolf got away with it for a bit as we didn’t have much back up and tbf to him he had a lot of first team club appearances behind him in past)
This guy again. Having another dig at Liverpool when we are talking about the Irish team. Id say if he was playing for any other club you would be delighted to have him in goals last night!
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:00am

Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

I think Kelleher is a better keeper than Travers full stop, but I'm not the manager. I also dont see any need to criticise Travers Bazunu or Kelleher unduly to try and prove my point. 3 excellent young keepers. Atm the pecking order is Baz, Caoimhin, Trav - I dont see why that should change. Let's see how the first 6 months of next season go - if Travers maintains his form in the PL and Kelleher remains mostly on the bench then the pecking order may change, but I dont see any reason why it should at this point.

You don't seem to understand the difference of valid criticism and outright attacks.

No one is attacking Kelleher for what happened last night. However, there is a strong argument for playing Travers on Saturday considering the fact he has had a better season personally than Kelleher.

When Given was 2nd choice for Villa but starting for Ireland, he had nearly 20 years of experience to rely on. What does Kelleher have to his name? That's a valid argument.

Question for you...when was the last time you watched Travers play?
You don't know Bo?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9293949596 174>
  Share Topic