Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CaoimhĂ­n Kelleher

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7677787980 173>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 10:04pm
Premier League Winner
Champions League Winner
League Cup finalist....
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Sponsored Links

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Premier League Winner
Champions League Winner
League Cup finalist....

... and Ireland number 2 Star
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 10:45pm
Our goalkeeping situation really is insane. 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 1:21am
He looks like he could smoke a pipe in the middle of a tornado 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 1:53am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

It's not. We have three promising young goalkeepers. One an EPL back-up, one in the Championship and another in League 1. Debate on this has lurched from optimism to delirium. 
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 2:58am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

It's not. We have three promising young goalkeepers. One an EPL back-up, one in the Championship and another in League 1. Debate on this has lurched from optimism to delirium. 
Don't think they are promising goalkeepers anymore, they are putting in very noticeable displays week in, week out.  I have no doubt in my mind that Caoimhin is a better goalkeeper than some of the first choice goalkeepers in the premier League.
I know Caoimhin Kelleher doesn't normally play week in, week out but he's had a little run of games recently.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 3:44am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Don't think they are promising goalkeepers anymore, they are putting in very noticeable displays week in, week out.  I have no doubt in my mind that Caoimhin is a better goalkeeper than some of the first choice goalkeepers in the premier League.
I know Caoimhin Kelleher doesn't normally play week in, week out but he's had a little run of games recently.
Reasonable, Kevin. But Kelleher's future is still potential based. He's neither an EPL first-teamer nor is he likely to be soon. Should he become No.1 at Liverpool, facing EPL forwards week-in week-out, then there's no argument. Bazunu has been good though naive at times for Ireland. At club level he's impressive, but against such as Crewe, Morecambe and Fleetwood. Meanwhile, Travers is playing career-best for probably the standout team in the Championship. I believe he (currently) has the best claim to Ireland's goalkeeper jersey. All are promising but the debate about them, to use zizi's hyperbolic grab, has been insane. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 8:16am

I suppose another way of looking at it is that one has the most clean sheets in League 1, one has the most clean sheets in the Championship and the other one is looking the part every time he lines out for one of the world's best football teams.

Considering the keepers in question are 19, 22 and 23 years old it's pretty incredible to be honest.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 9:47am
to say it’s just optimistic at stage would be untrue.

We have 3 decent young  keepers.

As has been pointed out they have gone beyond the point of potential they all have shown they are clearly able to play and better again will be able to do so for us for at least the next 10 years.

We have never been so well served at in this position.

A real positive.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 9:58am
I think when people say insane they probably mean unique. They are all still young for goalkeepers. 
What also makes it pretty unique is goalkeeper along with striker/goalscorer is the hardest position in football to find players especially if you arent a bigger nation.

For context across Europe Wales have Ward and Hennessy, Scotland have Gordon and Marshall, Sweden have Olsen at Sheffield Utd Norway have Nyland back up to Travers at Bournemouth Austria currently have Lindners at Basel in goal. From what I see neither nation have a young keeper remotely have the ability or promise of the 3 lads we have coming through. If Travers was born in any of these 5 nations he'd possibly be looking at an 80 cap career already one of the best keepers in the Championship at 22 and in pole position to play PL football at 23. As it stands he might be lucky to get 10 for Ireland

These are 5 nations who as it stands the last few years have superior teams players and have been far superior at the game of football to us. For a small nation to have 3 young keepers of such potential is pretty mad. 

The one position you can't shoehorn 2 of them into the same side either.

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 10:00am
Alan Kelly, Dean Kiely and Shay Given were all pretty good keepers at the same time too. 
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 10:04am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I suppose another way of looking at it is that one has the most clean sheets in League 1, one has the most clean sheets in the Championship and the other one is looking the part every time he lines out for one of the world's best football teams.

Considering the keepers in question are 19, 22 and 23 years old it's pretty incredible to be honest.

I find it funny how one poster has interpreted another's loose use of the word "insane" as being delirium. You're risking being shot down now for your use of the word "incredible." 

Let me just steer clear of killjoys like Mr. Brick and say that our situation is "relatively good", particularly when compared to other areas of the pitch and compared to the situation for the past 10 years since Shay Given stopped being a Premiership number 1 in 2012. I will also say that the "future is fairly bright" given that the goalkeepers are all "quite young" and "decently capable" and have had some "good performances". 

Edited by Eoink21 - 21 Jan 2022 at 10:04am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 10:38am
Stop talking bollox. We have three potentially top keepers. If they have careers at EPL or equivalent level they will have fulfilled that potential. Or they could be like Randolph - reliable for Ireland but underwhelming at club level. Until such time, the fact remains: one is an EPL reserve, one is a good Championship stopper and the other a League 1 job-experience cadet. Good luck to them.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 10:58am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

What also makes it pretty unique is goalkeeper along with striker/goalscorer is the hardest position in football to find players especially if you arent a bigger nation.

For context across Europe Wales have Ward and Hennessy, Scotland have Gordon and Marshall, Sweden have Olsen at Sheffield Utd Norway have Nyland back up to Travers at Bournemouth Austria currently have Lindners at Basel in goal.

That's a good point in fairness. It's often noticeable at major international tournaments how many nations play with keepers who are back-ups at club level.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 11:04am

Stop talking bollox. We have three potentially top keepers. If they have careers at EPL or equivalent level they will have fulfilled that potential. Or they could be like Randolph - reliable for Ireland but underwhelming at club level. Until such time, the fact remains: one is an EPL reserve, one is a good Championship stopper and the other a League 1 job-experience cadet. Good luck to them.
Tis you are taking bollox.
All of them are young which is fantastic as keepers don’t peak until older than outfield players.

Kelleher is a reserve at one of the top clubs in the world to one of the top keepers in the world. it’s not like he is a reserve at Watford.
He has played in the Champions League and looks likely to play in a league cup final…we haven’t had many keepers tick these boxes 
His use of the ball is better than any keeper Ireland have ever had and has proven to be a decent shot stopper 

Travers has improved no end in the last 12 months is Number 1 at one of the top clubs in the championship again one of the top 10 leagues in the world.
Someone mentioned the most clean sheets in the league.

Bazunu our current number 1 has all ready proven he can be a difference maker for Ireland on the books of one of the biggest clubs in world and putting in good performances week in week out all be it at a lower level.

All hugely positive plenty of international teams would happily take one of our lot not to mind have 3 of them in their squad.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Tis you are taking bollox.
All of them are young which is fantastic as keepers don’t peak until older than outfield players.

Kelleher is a reserve at one of the top clubs in the world to one of the top keepers in the world. it’s not like he is a reserve at Watford.
He has played in the Champions League and looks likely to play in a league cup final…we haven’t had many keepers tick these boxes 
His use of the ball is better than any keeper Ireland have ever had and has proven to be a decent shot stopper 

Travers has improved no end in the last 12 months is Number 1 at one of the top clubs in the championship again one of the top 10 leagues in the world.
Someone mentioned the most clean sheets in the league.

Bazunu our current number 1 has all ready proven he can be a difference maker for Ireland on the books of one of the biggest clubs in world and putting in good performances week in week out all be it at a lower level.

All hugely positive plenty of international teams would happily take one of our lot not to mind have 3 of them in their squad.
All positive stuff (emboldened) and all potentially top keepers. If I'm talking bollox, then you're talking bollox too. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 11:58am
Get a life nerds.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Alan Kelly, Dean Kiely and Shay Given were all pretty good keepers at the same time too. 

3 quality goalkeepers by any small country's standards. Seen plenty make this comparison but from memory even Kelly and Kiely were playing League 1 and League 2 football at 22/23/24. Kelleher and Travers are playing levels above at 22 and 23 respectively. Bazunu will likely be playing Championship football at least next year at 20. I'd argue these 3 boys have much higher ceilings then Randolph Kelly or anyone like that. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7677787980 173>
  Share Topic