You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Will the cost of drink put you off going to Bilbao
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will the cost of drink put you off going to Bilbao

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: Well?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [32.14%]
17 [60.71%]
2 [7.14%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 1:42pm
Did the stadium tour today, lovely stadium, possibly best modern stadium I've been in, albeit it wasn't for a game, massive open area in front, not sure if it's blocked off for games but great places for cans if not.

The museum is top class if anyone is ever there, well worth a visit. 
Sponsored Links

BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 1:54pm
NV
Did you see any news of home matches in the next 2 weeks ?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 2:02pm
They appear to be playing Sociedad at home in a friendly on the fourth of August.
gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Did the stadium tour today, lovely stadium, possibly best modern stadium I've been in, albeit it wasn't for a game, massive open area in front, not sure if it's blocked off for games but great places for cans if not.

The museum is top class if anyone is ever there, well worth a visit. 

Keep it open. Stall and stuff are there for the games
Danger here, OH NO
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

They appear to be playing Sociedad at home in a friendly on the fourth of August.

PM
Thanks.. a nice derby of a friendly
gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

PM

Friendly enough rivalry. Get your ticket at a Kutxabank ATM machine or online
Danger here, OH NO
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 2:41pm

PM

That'll be a great one to be at, great pic of them you see in some bars walking out together in the 70s holding a basque flag 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 6:35pm

PM
I didn't put too much effort in! I simply typed 'Athletic Bilbao pre-season fixtures' into the Google search engine.

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Down by the stadium today, bar 200m away doing €2 pints Thumbs Up

thinking of heading there next year for a long weekend Nvidic - interested in recommendations

Was there the day so wouldn't have seen everything but I liked the following

*9.30am walking tour - not the best I've ever done but gives a good grounding to the city, where is good etc

*Athletic Bilbao Museum, I could have spent two hours there, really well put together, very interesting. There's is a room with loads of interactive screens which you can play their greatest goals on, all excellent.

*Cafe Bar Bilbao - this is on a square with some very good Pinxto bars, it was my favourite one but plenty others nearby. Cafe Iruna was also very good. We spent a lot of time wandering and having beers and Pinxtos in random places, can't go wrong.

*Guggenheim, I didn't get a chance to go in but magnificent from the outside, best viewed from across the bridge and some great sculptures outside

*Funicular - brings you up to a great viewing point, little else up there mind but worth it for the view alone.

San Sebastian

Worth going up as only an hour away but was a bit disappointed, didn't think the food nor drink was as good as Bilbao and things closed earlier but the beaches are magnificent, best city beaches I've been on. 

There's a Mercure hotel at the top of the hill overlooking the city with amazing views, you can get a funicular up.

The local beer is called Keler, it's 6.5% which we only realised after a few - watch yourself!

Great part of the world and already hoping to go back.

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 12:21pm

Down by the stadium today, bar 200m away doing €2 pints Thumbs Up

thinking of heading there next year for a long weekend Nvidic - interested in recommendations

Was there the day so wouldn't have seen everything but I liked the following

*9.30am walking tour - not the best I've ever done but gives a good grounding to the city, where is good etc

*Athletic Bilbao Museum, I could have spent two hours there, really well put together, very interesting. There's is a room with loads of interactive screens which you can play their greatest goals on, all excellent.

*Cafe Bar Bilbao - this is on a square with some very good Pinxto bars, it was my favourite one but plenty others nearby. Cafe Iruna was also very good. We spent a lot of time wandering and having beers and Pinxtos in random places, can't go wrong.

*Guggenheim, I didn't get a chance to go in but magnificent from the outside, best viewed from across the bridge and some great sculptures outside

*Funicular - brings you up to a great viewing point, little else up there mind but worth it for the view alone.

San Sebastian

Worth going up as only an hour away but was a bit disappointed, didn't think the food nor drink was as good as Bilbao and things closed earlier but the beaches are magnificent, best city beaches I've been on. 

There's a Mercure hotel at the top of the hill overlooking the city with amazing views, you can get a funicular up.

The local beer is called Keler, it's 6.5% which we only realised after a few - watch yourself!

Great part of the world and already hoping to go back.

Thumbs Up
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 3:23pm
What was pickpocketing situation like?
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

What was pickpocketing situation like?

Moderate, best to be careful out there, better safe than sorry
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 5:08pm
Will the possibility of being trampled down and killed by a stray bull from Pamplona (not far away) put you off going to Bilbao?

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 9:42pm
Locals hard to get a smile out of. 
In plentzia North of bilbao. Very few non spanish .Lovely beach. 

2 glasses of rioja  2.70.
Beer 2e for .3.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 11:41pm

Beer 2e for .3.
If you think they are Spanish then it might explain the lack of smiles!
gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 6:56am

Beer 2e for .3.

They are lovely people but don't really show emotion. They're not big on smiling
Danger here, OH NO
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

Beer 2e for .3.

They are lovely people but don't really show emotion. They're not big on smiling

gmfc90 headed to Bilbao for a few days next may anything further recommendations  ?
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 9:59pm

Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

Beer 2e for .3.

gmfc90 headed to Bilbao for a few days next may anything further recommendations  ?

The old town Casco Viejo has some cracking bars. Nice narrow streets. The square Plaza Nueva is great for a few beers. Berton on Calle Jardines in Casco has some unreal ones. The Guggenheim is good if you're into daft modern art. Athletic recently opened their museum and it's decent. Well worth it. They've a cool cafe in the stadium that looks out onto the pitch. For food there's no shortage. Never had a bad meal. Cheap too. There's a roundabout of sorts in Indautxu. There's a hipster craft beer place called Penguin. Great beer and good sambos. Irish bar is nearby too. There's a funicular that brings you uo a place called Atxanda. Nice view of the city. If churches are your thing there's a Basilica in Begoña that Athletic go to at the start of every season to be blessed. Best bet for drinks are around Indautxu, Casco Viejo and the often dodgy San Francisco. The metro is handy enough.
Danger here, OH NO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic