You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Denmark match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 45>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Ed on the footballrankingsinfo website has issued a new prediction after 1st leg.

Denmark to qualify
Before 1st leg: 51%
Now after 1st leg: 45%

Ireland to qualify
Before 1st leg: 42%
Now after 1st leg: 47%

PSO: 8%

YBIG

What does PSO mean?

Don’t buy into this to be honest, the Danes were huge mathematical favourites in the first leg, and look how that turned out.

PSO: Penalty shoot out
Sponsored Links

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 9:10pm

Ed on the footballrankingsinfo website has issued a new prediction after 1st leg.

Denmark to qualify
Before 1st leg: 51%
Now after 1st leg: 45%

Ireland to qualify
Before 1st leg: 42%
Now after 1st leg: 47%

PSO: 8%

YBIG

What does PSO mean?

Don’t buy into this to be honest, the Danes were huge mathematical favourites in the first leg, and look how that turned out.

PSO: Penalty shoot out

Let’s hope it doesn’t get to that then! Although imagine the exstacy of a win in one though.

How likely would a pitch invasion be if we managed a shout out win?
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by raclle raclle wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

NI, with inferior players and against a better opposition, showing that it's possible to play a mixture of long-ball and good football tonight against the Swiss. No reason we can't do similarly against Denmark on Tuesday.

They went out though. Would.rather we play sh*te and go.through

Playing sh*te and getting the result > playing well and not getting the result

Embarrassed

Flawed logic!

Who says we wont get the result playing well?

Playing well creates more chances.

Playing sh*te creates danger.

Of course playing well does, but you don't decide to play well or play poorly you decide to take risks or not. If you break it down, playing "well" usually means getting it down playing through midfield and or pushing on against the other team and putting them under pressure. However all of that carries a risk esp with our centre backs who lack real pace. If you push up that is more likely to be exposed so it's all about judgement calls.

The Danes have no pace up front.
Us playing well means higher line and pressure with support play which we haven't done since the Euros.
Its a very thin line how we've been playing throughout this campaign.

Sisto has some bit of speed
orourkeda View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

Meyler and long in. O dowda and murphy out. I'd push hendrick up and keep Wes on bench until half hour to go. Thought last night was calling out for mcgeady. Wouldn't mind him starting on Tuesday. The only man who can get a hold of the call and bring it forward with him in a controlled fashion. When mcclean does it it's usually just through pace.

If we have to rely on Aiden McGeady  then we are probably screwed
https://www.orourkeda.blog

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 9:20pm
Was rethinking our starting eleven, and I think that Meyler-Arter-Hendrick will be the midfield, with Hendrick pushing up.

I think Long will come in for Murphy.

That would be a very energetic midfield that would be looking to open the Danes through power and aggression rather than any real technical skill - would also be defensively sound.
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 9:31pm
I disagree completely with the 'AndyReid-itis' theory that some people are proposing about Wes, and I reckon if he doesn't start we can kiss Russia goodbye. Also, Long - albeit not in good form - has to start. He won and held up more ball in 15 mins than Murphy did all game. Murphy is hopelessly lacking for what's needed, tbf.
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Hendrick should lose out before Arter. Arter has been top class the last 2 games. Brady again would be lucky to keep his place. No patience left with him..

This. If we're gonna progress in general then one or both of these two needs to be dropped.
raclle View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

I love points

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raclle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 9:40pm

Was rethinking our starting eleven, and I think that Meyler-Arter-Hendrick will be the midfield, with Hendrick pushing up.

That would be a very energetic midfield that would be looking to open the Danes through power and aggression rather than any real technical skill - would also be defensively sound.
They did a lot of chasing last night so could be he'll go with fresher legs in Meyler, Whelan and Long.
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 9:41pm
Whelan . Leave it out. There's a reason he didn't start in Denmark even though we were missing Meyler and McCarthy. He hasn't got the legs . Good option off the bench to protect a lead but as a starter he is finished for Ireland .
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 9:42pm

Totally agree. 4-2-3-1 for me with Hendrick playing as the no.10 supporting Shane Long. Arter and Meyler as the two sitting midfielders. A high press as well is imperative. We have to get into their faces and with the fans behind us get them rattled.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Totally agree. 4-2-3-1 for me with Hendrick playing as the no.10 supporting Shane Long. Arter and Meyler as the two sitting midfielders. A high press as well is imperative. We have to get into their faces and with the fans behind us get them rattled.

I’m thinking, and hoping that we could keep a clean sheet with that team, while being able to open up and get our wingers more involved.

The energy levels from the team and the fans needs to be huge in the first ten minutes. I thought the Danes looked very frustrated, if not a little defeated at the final whistle.

If we can absolutely batter them in the opening period and nick an early goal I think they’ll struggle to get into the game.

From a mentality point of view, imagine how they’ll be feeling if we can score in the opening ten after them being in the accendancy for the majority of the tie.
raclle View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

I love points

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raclle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 9:58pm

Hendrik has played that role poorly already and to be honest his best games for us have been out wide.

How about?

Arter Meyler

Hendrik                  McClean

Wes
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 10:02pm
Has 1-0 all over it, Shane long il do it for us...Christ il be broken hearted if we miss out, actually feel quite bad for the pub team and that's saying something.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 10:02pm

Hendrik has played that role poorly already and to be honest his best games for us have been out wide.

How about?

Arter Meyler

Hendrik                  McClean

Wes

I personally don’t think that even with Hoolahan, we can win games against similar level teams by playing through the middle.

The perfect balance is a mix between direct, and through the midfield, and while Jeff obviously isn’t a number 10, his physical attributes give the opposition plenty to think about, while he can conjure an odd moment of magic.

Wes is a quality player, but I just love the idea of the likes of Meyler, Arter, Hendrick and McClean running around, chasing everything and not giving the opposition a second - that’s what led to our goal in Cardiff.

In an ideal world, we manage to get Wes into the team and play a balance of direct/technical football, but that would involve dropping Robbie Brady, and that just isn’t going to happen under Martin O’Neill - righty or wrongly.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 10:04pm

How about?

Arter Meyler

Hendrik                  McClean

Wes

Hendrick plays very well there for Burnley. I would like to see the team there but cant see Brady being dropped.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 10:05pm
I think explaining Murphy's performance as based on his abilities is wide of the mark. We are currently missing Coleman, McCarthy, and Walters. We lost Meyler to suspension. Long and Wes were out due to suspension. McGeady has been a more peripheral figure over the past two years. However, that means that our most innovative players are not on the pitch. Brady has struggled to fulfil that role in the way we all would have hoped he might since 2016. What hasn't been spoken of is the fact that we are a depleted side, which needs to find the best team it can, and the best formula to fit that team. This limits our ability to be innovative, which in turn penalises Murphy who is expected to lead a line, where there is significant disconnect. He made a difference of sorts against Austria when he was moved up front with Walters, and was a threat against Moldova. He did reasonably well against Wales under this limited system, and last night he wasn't able to influence the game. I'm not sure dropping Murphy for Long will make a huge difference.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I think explaining Murphy's performance as based on his abilities is wide of the mark. We are currently missing Coleman, McCarthy, and Walters. We lost Meyler to suspension. Long and Wes were out due to suspension. McGeady has been a more peripheral figure over the past two years. However, that means that our most innovative players are not on the pitch. Brady has struggled to fulfil that role in the way we all would have hoped he might since 2016. What hasn't been spoken of is the fact that we are a depleted side, which needs to find the best team it can, and the best formula to fit that team. This limits our ability to be innovative, which in turn penalises Murphy who is expected to lead a line, where there is significant disconnect. He made a difference of sorts against Austria when he was moved up front with Walters, and was a threat against Moldova. He did reasonably well against Wales under this limited system, and last night he wasn't able to influence the game. I'm not sure dropping Murphy for Long will make a huge difference.

I get what your saying but for me Long is better at pressing the back line and with his pace it makes Denmark think twice. They wouldnt be as inclined to push as high up meaning hopefully we could get pressing them higher up the pitch especially with Hendrick as the no.10.
BriMurt View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriMurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 10:11pm
I would have thought the Danish qualifying odds might shorten a bit after Saturday. Reason being that they showed a bit more attacking threat than Ireland, and they only need a score draw. The bookies must not be so confident that the Danes can put one in the Irish net. 

Edited by BriMurt - 12 Nov 2017 at 10:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 45>
  Share Topic