You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Denmark match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 45>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayHoughton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:07am
That was an old school spanking. And it has been coming. Christie showed signs of being a good player throughout the campaign but was found out last night. Mcgeady offers nothing but heartache and shane long is in a funk he cant get out of. Hendrick was still on the bus and the tactics were a shambles. We scored an early goal and instead of keeping hold of the ball, we let Denmark get settled and build up confidence.

On the very small plus side, Randolph kept us in it at the start of the game and McClean was the only man pressing the opposition. 
George 'The Baggio brothers, of course, are not related' Hamilton

Sponsored Links

Nax View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:11am
Think this has been coming for a long long time. A defeat like that to a by no means exceptional side. Very simple, set up wrong tactically allow time and space and the team youre playing plays the easiest of simple passing football. Something that isnt embedded in Irish kids at a young age or this Irish side. You can say thats the way they play and you may grind out a few results but eventually like tonight you will be caught out. Big overhaul in the mentality and approach to the game needed in the country. Georgia a prime example doing the simple things well. basic passing coupled with fight  ,pressure and intensity. The fight part we usually have and we miss out on the basics but tonight we didnt have either.
okidoki987 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okidoki987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:13am
Went home and watched Dunphy and co on TV and they didn't hold back and rightly so.
Dunphy came out with an interesting stat, pre match.
When Wez plays, we score a goal average every 46 minutes, when he doesn't, we score a goal average every 133 minutes!
Not sure starting him would have made any difference to the result last night but would have been a bit better.

Felt sorry for McClean being interviewed straight after you've been knocked out of the World Cup isn't really the right time.

greenmachine68 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote greenmachine68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Ebbe_Sand11 Ebbe_Sand11 wrote:

Bad luck fellas. It really wasn't your night. I have to say after listening to MaccaTacca I started to believe that we were little better than a pub side. A career in journalism or at Liverpool football club awaits you mate Smile. The World Cup won't be the same without the Dutch and YBIG fans. Until the next time we meet, good luck guys.

Good luck to Denmark, good team and people. The World Cup won't be the same, because there will be nobody playing our outdated football!
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:16am
Eriksen is not 'over-rated' nor is he a Grade A World Class player.

He will never in his life be given as much space on a pitch as he was given last night.

Eriksen aside, Denmark are an average side and are no better than Ireland just more intelligent and have a manager who knows what he's doing. If they get a tough group in Russia they wont get out of it but good luck to them anyway.

Wales fans LOL

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:16am
Robbie Brady's still looking for his brother and girlfriend in the crowd since Lille it seems
Gavintheslob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It’s Nessa actually

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavintheslob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Anyone remember the time in the first half when we were 1-0 up, Arter had the ball around the centre circle and had a bit of time on it, he completely lost his head and just lashed it forward not within 30 yards of anyone along the ground and through to Schmeichel when he had options right and left to just retain possession.
Was thinking to myself, there is no way he would do that on a Saturday when playing for Bournemouth, and if he did he wouldn't be getting picked very often.
Do they just lose their heads when they play for Ireland, lack composure, get nervous, or would he have been under instructions to kick everything forward as soon as possible?

I remember this, complete and utter madness. duffy did the same on a couple of occasions, just lashing it forward to nobody
Its very frustrating being a Slob
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:43am
Bizzare is the only word for the whole show.

Will be taking a break from this forum and Irish football for a few weeks after this one but here’s my confused and angry thoughts on game:

For a start, I don’t feel particularly devastated. Last nights performance was utterly sobering, a 2-1 loss or a 1-1 away goal defeat in extra time would be devestating, but to go out and take the lead against such an average side, and then to capitulate in such dramatic fashion is not devastating its just eye opening.

Eye opening to the complete lack of tactical nous on behalf of Martin O’Neill.

So we went 1-0 up after a few minutes, and what followed for about 15 minutes was pretty decent. We were first to every ball, winning every tackle and making chances. While Randolph had two good saves to make, we genuinely could of been 3-0 up at one stage, we were creating chances and had that one that skimmed the side netting, and I think McClean was put through and dragged it wide.

Then we conceded the worst goal I have ever seen us concede in Lansdowne Road, and the players just fell apart and starting attacking like fooking mad men.

What was O’Neill trying to achieve? It was 1-1 after 30 odd minutes - Denmark had the slight advantage, but just 5/10 minutes previously we were first to every ball and doing things for the most part right. But, clearly the players were instructed to go hell for leather In search of a second goal, and that’s where we gifted them their second.

After they scored the second, what followed didn’t really matter because we were never scoring two with 50 odd minutes to go - but when we conceded the equalizer, why didn’t Mr O’Neill instruct the players to relax, take the sting out of the game and get it to 1-1 at HT?

His substitutions were woeful, and Long should of started this game, we had enough chances inside the opening 25 minutes to win the game, and Longs pace in behind surely could of added a chance or two more.

When you are a team built around organization, and hard work, the last thing you do is change your formation to something that resembled 2-7-1 and hope that you nick a goal, we absolutely gifted Denmark this game, and there was actually a moment at around 25 mins when their manager was shown on the big screen with his head in his hands, I fully believe that he thought Ireland would hold onto to 1-0 at that stage, and he probably couldn’t believe his luck when we gave away the two softest goals ever seen, and O’Neill starting making rediculous subs like bringing on Aiden McGeady and changing around the back line drastically.

Martin lost the head last night, and embarrassed us infront of the worlds eyes. The 6-1 against Germany was bad enough, but 5-1 against Denmark from a WINNING POSISTION is attrotious and for this reason he has to go.

PS: for any Wales fans, how did your game against Panama go last night?
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Dane Dane wrote:

Denmark is at any level a much better team. Face it. 

"Eriksen is overrated" still makes me laugh. What a bawbag.

Denmark hardly set the world alight in qualifying.
Didn’t qualify for 2014 WC or Euro 2016.
But well done last night.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

What was O’Neill trying to achieve? It was 1-1 after 30 odd minutes - Denmark had the slight advantage, but just 5/10 minutes previously we were first to every ball and doing things for the most part right. But, clearly the players were instructed to go hell for leather In search of a second goal, and that’s where we gifted them their second.

After they scored the second, what followed didn’t really matter because we were never scoring two with 50 odd minutes to go - but when we conceded the equalizer, why didn’t Mr O’Neill instruct the players to relax, take the sting out of the game and get it to 1-1 at HT?

This has always been Martin's way......Pure Gung-Ho because of our great "heart and passion" qualities

The simple fact is our players are instructed to have zero composure on the ball and as a result we hand possession back to the opposition at an alarming rate.

When you score you are most at your most vulnerable to concede, as it's been said keep it tight for 5/10 minutes after we scored would have been logical. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
adineen98 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adineen98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by adineen98 adineen98 wrote:

If ever the FAI needed an example as to why football in Ireland needs an overhaul it's tonight. Absolutely embarrassing

It is being overhauled, started 2/3 years ago, it will take ten years.
Even then it may not work.

You sir are embarrassingly ill-informed.

In fairness, when I was posting that, I let my emotions get the better of me and admittedly wasn't thinking straight
Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:57am

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

If ever the FAI needed an example as to why football in Ireland needs an overhaul it's tonight. Absolutely embarrassing

It is being overhauled, started 2/3 years ago, it will take ten years.
Even then it may not work.

You sir are embarrassingly ill-informed.

In fairness, when I was posting that, I let my emotions get the better of me and admittedly wasn't thinking straight
Understandable.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

This has always been Martin's way......Pure Gung-Ho because of our great "heart and passion" qualities

The simple fact is our players are instructed to have zero composure on the ball and as a result we hand possession back to the opposition at an alarming rate.

When you score you are most at your most vulnerable to concede, as it's been said keep it tight for 5/10 minutes after we scored would have been logical. 

The goal from the corner shouldn’t have been conceded in a million years, but you can forgive one poorly given away goal every now and then - but to then panic and immediately try and go on the attack is mental, and to concede another goal from what could only be described as panic, is absolute amateur hour from both the players and the management team.

I’m not even bothered analyzing the final three goals - they were all as a direct consequence of the panic that ensued when goals 1 and 2 went in.

I don’t see how O’Neill will ever have the trust of the players in that dressing room again, he hung them out to dry.
LovelyLiam View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LovelyLiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 11:10am
Heartbroken after last nights performance. I can't get my head around the sudden change in formation, the panic at 1-1 and incredibly disappointing half time substitutions. As much as I would like to take some positives from the game I really can't. I can only imagine how awful the players and management feel this morning looking back on the game and all that went wrong. We really threw it away and allowed an average Denmark team to look world class!

It's been a roller-coaster campaign (when is it ever not with Ireland) and the team gave it everything (despite the mistakes of last night). We got to within 90 mins of a WC with a win all that was required to get us there. It's going to take a long time for me to get over that disappointment. 

Here's hoping we can take the much needed break to reassess, develop new players and do it all again for the European champs qualifying in a years time. 
"They found me in a shop"
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Anyone remember the time in the first half when we were 1-0 up, Arter had the ball around the centre circle and had a bit of time on it, he completely lost his head and just lashed it forward not within 30 yards of anyone along the ground and through to Schmeichel when he had options right and left to just retain possession.
Was thinking to myself, there is no way he would do that on a Saturday when playing for Bournemouth, and if he did he wouldn't be getting picked very often.
Do they just lose their heads when they play for Ireland, lack composure, get nervous, or would he have been under instructions to kick everything forward as soon as possible?

He did that several times on Friday too...as did others

I can't believe a manager would instruct players to boot it anywhere ......it's not long ball (it's not even Jacks version of kicking it into a space) it's a panic hoof
tony grealish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony grealish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 11:15am
Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

At half time, MON knew he had to go for it. Do or die. Nothing to lose. You can’t blame his tactics.

When we went one up in the first five minutes, I had a feeling it would be curtains and I said it to the guys with me. It’s like instead of trying to extend the lead we try to kill the game with 85 minutes to go.

And Randolph saved our skin on numerous occasions. He is some shot stopper alright. It could have been 10-1 were it not for him. His performance is a massive positive to take from last night.

All is not lost.

This has to be a wind up?LOL

You think it was a great idea to take off our two defensive midfield players leaving us with no protection whatsoever in front of the back four and allowing Eriksen drift around that pocket of space to do as he pleased?
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 11:18am
Originally posted by LovelyLiam LovelyLiam wrote:

Heartbroken after last nights performance. I can't get my head around the sudden change in formation, the panic at 1-1 and incredibly disappointing half time substitutions. As much as I would like to take some positives from the game I really can't. I can only imagine how awful the players and management feel this morning looking back on the game and all that went wrong. We really threw it away and allowed an average Denmark team to look world class!

It's been a roller-coaster campaign (when is it ever not with Ireland) and the team gave it everything (despite the mistakes of last night). We got to within 90 mins of a WC with a win all that was required to get us there. It's going to take a long time for me to get over that disappointment. 

Here's hoping we can take the much needed break to reassess, develop new players and do it all again for the European champs qualifying in a years time. 

well said, i would agree with all that...we got dragged into a football game (sounds strange) but its not a think martin oneill can manage , his games have to be a battle not free flowing... very disappointed...we can make the euro2020, just a bit of patience and planning a better approach to games.. let a few players go and give new players a chance...
we'll get over the disappointment, life goes on....if its ANY colsolation france2009 was harder to take
Come on Irelind
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 11:28am
Don't know where I am after last night. Left after the 4th goals, was distraught. 

Think the hope had me too excited and it was a massive letdown. A spanking to f**king Denmark!

Thought we were willing to put up with sh*t football on the condition we don't get spanked.

O'Neill should go, he's a shell of his former self, looks like he's lost his confidence, panicked bigtime last night.

The first 2 goals we conceded were awful.

Smashing atmosphere for the first half hour.

Think I'm taking a break from Ireland for a year or so!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 45>
  Share Topic