Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Denmark match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 45>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

My new name is Wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:51pm
Any good goal compilation videos from this campaign?
Sponsored Links

Ibaraki View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

As the home side I would be absolutely livid if we went about giving the Danes possession and the freedom of Lansdowne in the hope of hitting them on the counter attack.

Obviously I'm not expecting us to go out with a 3-4-3 formation but surely to God we will at least attempt to go at Denmark and try win the game.

If we're content with bringing this game to extra time and penalties we don't deserve to go through, it's Denmark we're playing not Spain or Germany.

Prepare to be livid so LOL
Dane View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:54pm
[/QUOTE]
I've a feeling Danish fans are underestimating "park the bus" Ireland and overestimating their own team's abilities. Denmark started the group poorly and were in some trouble heading into the autumn series in September. They win a few games and now fans are suddenly thinking Denmark are a top class second tier team like Croatia and Poland, when in truth the team still has an awful lot to prove and could be eliminated tonight. Take the 4-0 win over Poland out of the equation and there is no result in the last 12 months that would make anyone think Denmark are a top class team (or vastly superior to Ireland).
[/QUOTE]

No one suggests Denmark is a top class team, just much better than Ireland on pretty much every single position and a bench where several would be put in the Ireland line up right away. What Ireland showed saturday was the worst I have seen in many many years. To even call it football is almost an insult to the game.  
It can be though to a huge advantage for Ireland, that this is how it is and Denmark would relax, underestimate Ireland and be cocky. 

The start of the Qual for DK, was very much under a quite negative period of transition between a manager, Morten Olsen, that had been on the job for ages and to an entirely new manager trying to put a new system in, that clearly did not work. 
So the reason why Denmark lately has done better, is due to a better grasp of the way to play, more confidence and better use of players. Thus, the results have been better, but there are still some aspects that are not 100%, but it will come. 

We will see tonight. I reckon Ireland will be just as defensive/not playing football plus - and now I quote Siso - "play childrens football" - Denmark attacking pretty much all the way and then let us see how it goes. An opening goal on either side will of course completely change it all. 

And to just flat out think Wass is a nobody made me giggle. 
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Ibaraki Ibaraki wrote:

As the home side I would be absolutely livid if we went about giving the Danes possession and the freedom of Lansdowne in the hope of hitting them on the counter attack.

Obviously I'm not expecting us to go out with a 3-4-3 formation but surely to God we will at least attempt to go at Denmark and try win the game.

If we're content with bringing this game to extra time and penalties we don't deserve to go through, it's Denmark we're playing not Spain or Germany.

Prepare to be livid so LOL

I can understand that we were playing to avoid defeat in Copenhagen but I think we all can admit that we need to score the first goal, so I would like to see take the game to the Danes from the get go.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:57pm

We won't be. It's so obvious we will go for the win in 90 minutes tonight - the talk about extra time and penalties is nonsense IMO, I'd be astonished if we had two 0-0 draws in a WC play off. I've a strong feeling we'll score tonight irrespective of what the Danes do.
Reildogg View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reildogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:58pm

I wouldn't underestimate the difficulty in rejigging an approach on two days turnaround. Obviously personnel would have a major impact but I'd imagine we won't be overhauling what has been the approach for two campaigns. Hopefully a tiny bit more freedom and a tweak in personnel leads us to having a bit more of the game - I would not expect a sea change though and I'm not sure it would be the best tactic. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

We won't be. It's so obvious we will go for the win in 90 minutes tonight - the talk about extra time and penalties is nonsense IMO, I'd be astonished if we had two 0-0 draws in a WC play off. I've a strong feeling we'll score tonight irrespective of what the Danes do.

Is it? I may see the team sheet before I cast judgement tbh.

I can see us being cagey as f**k for the first half and not getting much joy as a result.

I just hope it doesn't take us to go a goal behind to attack.....
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Dane Dane wrote:

I'm not sure where the sudden confidence about Denmark winning in Dublin is coming from.

Because Ireland is much worse? 

And the teams Denmark have played against have done exactly like Ireland with putting everyone on its own half, timewasted on every opportunity and spent half of the game just kicking balls out of the penalty area. In the Qual, it was only Poland at home who really showed some offensive, which kind of caught Denmark by surprise. Went 3-2 anyway, before they were annihilated in Copenhagen. 

Denmark is a much better team than Ireland and have generally underperformed for a while, yet have had its moments. It says a lot that Denmark don´t even include players like Daniel Wass and Kasper Dolberg in the squad. 

Not saying Ireland doesn´t have a chance - not at all - but this constant "oh Denmark is no match"-typo is a bit silly and is exactly a good reason why Denmark have all the cards - and the Irish team knows this. Why else dig yourself in trenches and leave all initiative to the other side. I mean look at the statistics and Denmark will probably be even better tonight. 

I´m pretty confident Denmark will go through. Ireland can´t even bet on penalties as it looks pretty grim facing Schmeichel, plus players that completely outperform the Irish side. Plus Ireland I reckon realises that Denmark will do whatever it takes to lure Ireland out of its cage. I could really see Denmark the first 15 minutes trying to leave all to Ireland, just to build some confidence on the other side.

Anyway, all logic says Denmark will prevail, but anything can happen i football....I sure do hope though it will be a better game to watch than saturday...I´ve seen paint dry that was more exciting. 

[/QUOTE]

This post is complete nonsense.It will be a close game between two ordinary teams.

Edited by TonyNotJack - 14 Nov 2017 at 3:03pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Reildogg Reildogg wrote:

I wouldn't underestimate the difficulty in rejigging an approach on two days turnaround. Obviously personnel would have a major impact but I'd imagine we won't be overhauling what has been the approach for two campaigns. Hopefully a tiny bit more freedom and a tweak in personnel leads us to having a bit more of the game - I would not expect a sea change though and I'm not sure it would be the best tactic. 

I agree, I don't want us to abandon our defensive duties either to force the result, hoping it just comes naturally and we get the win.

All in all it would be nice if our players were encouraged to attack Denmark from the off and not play Russia Roulette because the law of averages are firmly stacked against another 0-0 appearing. 

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:05pm

I can see us being cagey as f**k for the first half and not getting much joy as a result.

We're not a 0-0 team at all. We've only ever had two competitive 0-0 draws under MON - Wales in March and Denmark on Saturday. I'm scratching my head at all this talk of extra time and penalties, a single goal will blow that option out instantly.
BriMurt View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriMurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:05pm
There's a danger about Ireland getting too keyed up and doing something stupid. If we come to the situation that Ireland is 1 up on the Danes with 5 mins to go, you'd better believe the Danes will be looking for a decision in the penalty area, if a goal is not forthcoming. If the Irish defence proves too hard to play through, then that's another way. 

It's one thing to go out due to an away goal rule, but quite another level of sh*ty to go out on that and/or giving away a needless peno. It's going to be a mixture of heart and head needed tonight. Fine margins and such little room for error. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:09pm

We're not a 0-0 team at all. We've only ever had two competitive 0-0 draws under MON - Wales in March and Denmark on Saturday. I'm scratching my head at all this talk of extra time and penalties, a single goal will blow that option out instantly.

With all due respect we do draw a lot of games, it just happens to work against us that a score draw will see us get knocked out.

I don't think it's wide of the mark to suggest that O'Neill often sets us up not to lose, compared to actually going for the win. 

Anyway come on Ireland I'll take any result provided we qualify.

TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:15pm
Is this why the Scott Hogan rumors started?

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:17pm

With all due respect we do draw a lot of games, it just happens to work against us that a score draw will see us get knocked out.

I don't think it's wide of the mark to suggest that O'Neill often sets us up not to lose, compared to actually going for the win. 

We could definitely draw tonight, but I think it would be far more likely to be a 1-1 than a 0-0.

Personally I think we're going to win. Nearly every European WC play off in history, to the best of my knowledge, has featured a win and a draw (or two wins), never two draws. Hopefully that stat carries on tonight and we're the ones doing the winning.
Reildogg View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reildogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:18pm

Indeed - Wales, Austria and Serbia at home remain fresh in the memory as the most relevant comparisons. More on the line this evening obviously, which could be viewed impact us positively or negatively - nerves time.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:22pm
Meyler or McClean to cream Eriksen in the first five.
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:24pm
The 3 day turnaround is a killer for fans. I'm only feeling half normal again after Copenhagen.

Terrified of 1-1 draw.
KILCRUISE View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KILCRUISE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

The 3 day turnaround is a killer for fans. I'm only feeling half normal again after Copenhagen.

Terrified of 1-1 draw.

Wait till tomorrow morning
may the road rise to meet you but make sure it does not slap you in the face
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 45>
  Share Topic