You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Denmark v Ireland - Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7374757677>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 8:58am
Originally posted by schillaci schillaci wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Interesting the bookies have us at 11/8 and Denmark at 15/8 Tuesday night 

We might be favourites to win the game. The bookies have the Danes as slight favourites to qualify though.

How could Denmark be favorites to go through and we’re favorites to win the game?

We can’t not go through if we win the game.
Sponsored Links

schillaci View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
I love Scott HULK Hogan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schillaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

We might be favourites to win the game. The bookies have the Danes as slight favourites to qualify though.

How could Denmark be favorites to go through and we’re favorites to win the game?

The result can go 3 ways (assuming its not 0-0)

Home win puts us through. Away win or score draw puts them through. Thats why they are favourites. 

Edited by schillaci - 12 Nov 2017 at 9:07am
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 9:13am

The result can go 3 ways (assuming its not 0-0)
<div ="__web-inspector-hide-shortcut__"="">
Home win puts us through. Away win or score draw puts them through. Thats why they are favourites. 

Makes sense.
schillaci View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
I love Scott HULK Hogan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schillaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 9:15am
Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

I often wonder if the fact the Irish have more money on it pulls the odds down rather than the likelihood of winning. We are always favourites.

Not really. The bookies set odds on what they think will happen. Its a 2 horse race. If odds on Ireland fall it will automatically mean Denmarks odds lengthen. So they would leave themselves exposed on that side.

I think they are about right on this one.
okidoki987 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okidoki987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 9:59am
If Denmark score, we will be in real trouble.
Only scored 2 goals at home to Moldova.
It's a winner takes all game and anything can happen on the night.
Another nervy night in D4 approaches.

El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 10:26am
Mixed feelings about that result last night. Denmark didn’t look up to much at all and appeared to run out of ideas. Hope we up the tempo a bit on Tuesday night because if we start the game positively I think we can comfortably beat this Danish side at home (similarly to how we put away Bosnia).

On a side note, the away end was very odd last night. A lot of first timers without doubt and some absolute messes. Finally, to the scumbag who starting chucking racist abuse at Sisto, you are an absolute c**t
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 10:35am
Originally posted by okidoki987 okidoki987 wrote:

If Denmark score, we will be in real trouble.
Only scored 2 goals at home to Moldova.
It's a winner takes all game and anything can happen on the night.
Another nervy night in D4 approaches.

Isn't that what people wanted? A home game on a knife edge, rather than going away, winning 4-0, and spending the home leg throwing paper aeroplanes at one another in the West Upper?

Lads, it was never going to be wide open, heavy metal football. We wanted a 0-0 and we got it. Of course we could concede at home, but we can't spend 90 minutes worrying about it. This is the 14th and final European spot up for grabs. We have the second leg at home where all we have to do is win the game in front of our own fans to qualify for the World Cup. We would all have taken that months ago, especially after the Serbia game. We can go through the forensics afterwards.

Alternatively, we could be preparing to face Panama in front of 6 men and a dog next week.
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
pepper67 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepper67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 10:47am
we are going to have to play in a way that we are not used to on tuesday..similar to the serbia game..we came up short there of course..should be interesting the side he will pick..cuz in my opinion its going to have to very different..i.e. mcgeady  and wes to start..we need goals
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 11:20am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Fantastic performance, fantastic result.

Because of MON's nature and the fact we drew away first the mindset was always going to be on the 2nd leg. And if you thought otherwise I'd love to know what sort of Irish Football you've been watching the last 30 months.
Stage one complete accomplished, let's all hope stage two is the same which is grab the winner at Home - At the end of the day psychologically they're gonna feel they should be ahead whilst the good feeling at the Aviva is in our favour but at the same time we're only 50% there. 

The only negative is we really should be 1-0 down from that howler from Sisto.

Care to explain how this is a negative? He missed ffs
KILCRUISE View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KILCRUISE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 11:27am
It's only half time in this playoff. The draw last night is fine by me. All down to Tuesday night. It is still in our hands. Simple game play. win.

Come on ireland

Edited by KILCRUISE - 12 Nov 2017 at 11:32am
may the road rise to meet you but make sure it does not slap you in the face
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 12:09pm

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Seriously hoolahan can't get into a midtable championship team he is he not the answer

He starts the majority of matches for Norwich

He's played 8 out of 16, not counting the times where he started on the bench

Is this your stupid thing again where you don't actually watch football where you thought Christensen only played once all season?

Is that directed towards me or oshea
BriMurt View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriMurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

Because of MON's nature and the fact we drew away first the mindset was always going to be on the 2nd leg. And if you thought otherwise I'd love to know what sort of Irish Football you've been watching the last 30 months.
Stage one complete accomplished, let's all hope stage two is the same which is grab the winner at Home - At the end of the day psychologically they're gonna feel they should be ahead whilst the good feeling at the Aviva is in our favour but at the same time we're only 50% there. 

The negative for me, there, would be that we talk about Ireland being defensively solid, but that doesn't square with Sisto having a shot on an open goal. 

I'm struggling to remember a time where Ireland parked the bus and didn't give away at least a couple of gilt-edged opportunities to the opposition in doing so. And in doing that, you can't say it was a solid defensive display unless you put an asterisk that denotes 'luck' next to it. 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 12:32pm

Do you normally congratulate teams who leave people unmarked from 7 yards out like?
I know standards are low but wheres the positive in that bit of play other than the team got stupendously lucky.

I hate the fact I sound like Planning but that’s how it actually was
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 12:46pm

Do you normally congratulate teams who leave people unmarked from 7 yards out like?
I know standards are low but wheres the positive in that bit of play other than the team got stupendously lucky.

I hate the fact I sound like Planning but that’s how it actually was

Who said anything about congratulating them? Confused

Denmark had a chance, they missed it, it's a normal occurrence in a game of football

Edited by HuntysCousin - 12 Nov 2017 at 12:49pm
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 12:47pm

Can’t understand the outrage from the RTE panel and some fans following last nights result.

I would think that the plan was always to keep it tight and see how the game developed - I.e if a goal was there then take it. However, going for a goal was probably too risky and means that we are now in control of this tie, despite being at risk of conceding an away goal.

Martin made the right subs in bringing on Long, and also choose to positively play O’Dowda instead of Whelan - although he could of started Wes considering O’Dowda did nothing offensively or defensively.

I think for the most part that the fans in Copenhagen were happy last night. The team were applauded off the pitch and most people appreciated the defensive display.

The performance was no different than Cardiff or Vienna, we just happened to score in those games - but with more at stake in this game, it’s understandable that we didn’t go for the jugular.

Denmark are a very poor team, they also looked down on themselves towards the end. We will bring them to Dublin and score the two goals we need to finish this tie off.

Also, quality of performance is virtually meaningless in a two legged play off. The only thing any team should be concerned about is qualification, not entertaining the fans or keeping the TV pundits happy.

Is anyone seriously telling me they would feel a bit down if Ireland qualified, just because they hadn't played particularly well in either leg?! That would take the biscuit.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 2:09pm
Denmark are hardly a 'very poor' team and if they are what does make us?!
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I'd agree, I'd say they are in and around the level of Serbia and Wales.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Agree. They had two great chances, we'd none. They should have won. We offered very little.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7374757677>
  Share Topic