You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 10:20am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Darragh Fitzgibbon the only young hurler of the year nominee to win an All Star yet doesn't win young hurler of the year.... GAA logic at its finest that Clap

You can't criticise the All Stars for this and also criticise them for shoehorning players in out of position. Let's assume you want the All Stars to be the best players in each position.

Young Hurler of the Year is, let's assume, a centre forward. But so is, hands down, the best player of the game that season, who gets the All Star as centre forward. The Young Hurler of the Year is not going to get an All Star.

Let's assume the runner up for Young Hurler of the Year is a left half back. Let's assume there are no other quality left half backs. He will get into the All Stars.

Being the best young player does not mean you are the best in your position; conversely, you can be the best in your position without being the best young player of the season overall.

None of that is a logical problem.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 10:39am
The Brian Whelahan one is a more appropriate example. 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 12:47pm
Good post by SD explaining the conundrums the selectors of these things sometimes face. In past years, they have gotten around this by selecting players out of position, but it seems to be going back toward the more traditional theoretical line outs recently. 

That in itself is an issue as for example, 3 players are picked on the All Stars for the full forward line, yet most counties only operate with 2 players up there, even the ones that don't play a sweeper tend to put that 3rd player in the HF line, or between the FF & HF lines, or as an extra midfielder, or sometimes operating in 2 positions depending on which team has the ball at the time. 

Pa Horgan is about the only selection this year that I'd disagree with, and I'd be an admirer of his, superb player, but didn't really hit the heights of previous years in 2018, somewhat reflected in the fact Harnedy was Cork's best forward this year and got a deserved all star. Limerick's Tom Morrissey probably the unlucky one to lose out, that's the only difference to the team the Sunday Game panel picked for their team of the year. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 4:28pm
Mattie Kenny the new Dublin manager according to the Examiner 

Would love to know the f**k the delaying of it until after the county final was all about then.Confused

Edited by Denis Irwin - 03 Nov 2018 at 4:29pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

SuperDub View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Mattie Kenny the new Dublin manager according to the Examiner 

Would love to know the f**k the delaying of it until after the county final was all about then.Confused

Shane Martin, Liam Ryan and Paul O’Brien are reported to be part of the backroom team. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 9:59pm
Boden Clonkill game in the Leinster SHC tomorrow is off after the death of  the 3yr old daughter of a Clonkill member in a tragic accident Cry

Edited by Denis Irwin - 03 Nov 2018 at 10:02pm

LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 9:28am
the selection of the half forward line in the all stars has me baffled. Peter Duggan and Joe Canning can count themselves very lucky. Duggan shat the course twice in this championship most notably in the Munster Final but i don't dispute he had some good days but his spectacular score won him an all star. 

Limerick as All Ireland champions had nobody selected from their half forward line. they are the best half forward line unit in the country and yes in 2 particular instances both individually also. Hegarty and Hayes. 

Kyle Hayes in my opinion should have being selected at centre forward (I'd also have TJ Reid ahead of Canning) and it's a toss up between Hegarty and Morrisey for the other. 
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 10:07am
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

the selection of the half forward line in the all stars has me baffled. Peter Duggan and Joe Canning can count themselves very lucky. Duggan shat the course twice in this championship most notably in the Munster Final but i don't dispute he had some good days but his spectacular score won him an all star. 

Limerick as All Ireland champions had nobody selected from their half forward line. they are the best half forward line unit in the country and yes in 2 particular instances both individually also. Hegarty and Hayes. 

Kyle Hayes in my opinion should have being selected at centre forward (I'd also have TJ Reid ahead of Canning) and it's a toss up between Hegarty and Morrisey for the other. 
Canning had a great year, He played much better than  last year when he won player of the year award! 

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 05 Nov 2018 at 10:08am
familyguy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote familyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 11:11pm
Cracking match between Ballygunnar and Ballyea yesterday............Ballyea were short of 6 starters from the all Ireland final 2 years ago so were probably overachieving getting this far. Cant see anything but NaP winning Munster and in all likelihood the all-ireland
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 11:29pm
Agree with that, the gap between BG & Na P was 8 points last year, they would be doing well even to reduce it, never mind win the game. 

Leinster; Ballyhale V Naomh Eanna &  Coolderry V winners of Clonkill & BB St Endas
Galway; St Thomas V Liam Mellows
Ulster; Ruairi Og (Antrim)  V Ballycran (Down)

What way is the provincial draw this year ? 

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 9:13am
Buff Egan i think it was made a great comment on Sunday night in regards to the Sunday Game. this time of the year would be perfect for the Sunday game to continue in its capacity as it does from the inter county championship. 

but then again TG4 do an excellent job and if that affected that then i would leave it as is. 
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 10:55pm
Would love Ballygunner to win Sunday in the Munster senior club final but sadly can't see it as this Na Piarsigh team are a serious outfit out to make a point and claim not just Musnter but the All Ireland 

Balls of a draw for the AI senior club series Munster vs Leinster and Galway champs vs Cushendall in the semis 
familyguy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote familyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 11:53pm
Ballygunnar v NaP live on Sunday as are the two semis and final in the Fenway Classic - granted its a glorified holiday for the teams, however no prizes for guessing which manager will actually class winning it as an actual competition at years end to justify his impending lack of success in the calendar year. And no Deise316 I don't want his manure addled book for xmas, cheers.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 12:12am
Fcuk it, I was going to get it signed & all

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 9:33am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Fcuk it, I was going to get it signed & all

be no harm to get it for him just encase LOL
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 4:51pm
Great win for Ballygunner, congrats to them. Great for Waterford hurling and well deserved 

High scoring Leinster semi finals  
Ballyboden (Dublin) 5-28- Coolderry (Offaly) 5-25- AET 
Ballyhale (Kilkenny) 6-21- Naomh eanna (Wexford) 4-11

St Thomas win in Galway 

All Ireland semis are 
St Thomas (Galway) vs Cushendall (Antrim)
Ballygunner (Waterford) vs Ballyhale or Ballyboden 
colmoc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
serious foot fetish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 7:42pm
what is this on tg4 at the minute? Hurling but only allowed to score goals and there’s a shot clock. This a new thing?
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by colmoc colmoc wrote:

what is this on tg4 at the minute? Hurling but only allowed to score goals and there’s a shot clock. This a new thing?
Fenway Classic. 
This is the third or fourth year its been on. Great entertainment. This format really highlights the skill levels. 
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425>
  Share Topic