You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GAA Hurling 2018
    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 9:36pm
Watching the hurling semi’s from last year. I was at all 3 and have to say that i’ve Never witnessed such sporting drama in the space of a week. Battles of attrition from start to finish in every one of them. ET included. Couldn’t see 2019 bettering those semi finals. We’re blessed with the hurling at the moment with so many teams who believe they can win it each year.

Edited by reddladd - 02 Jan 2019 at 9:39pm
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 7:18am
Football is still a great game which is in danger of being ruined by badly thought out new rules.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 4:34am
Yeah unlike the football hurling is evolving in the right direction. 
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

Bit off topic but was down in the local on Sunday night and Eir were showing the 1983 final between Cork and Kilkenny. before the ball was thrown in, all the auld lads piped up at the bar saying this was one of the greatest all Ireland finals. 

anyway about 15 min and it was pure horse dung. hurling was slow, players were not fit, keepers were truly awful and the amount of needless ground hurling was ridiculous. I absolutely hate ground hurling with a passion anyway as it needlessly gives control of possession away 20/30/40 etc. yards down the pitch and it creates a 50/50 chance of the ball coming back down the field when the player could have easily got himself over the ball, gain possession and get the head up and give a pass or else take the man on and then strike to where the ground strike would have gone but in turn creating a 80/20 or 70/30 chance of possession. 

so anyway, at half time in the game I started the conversation about how bad the standard was. I compared it an higher Junior to lower intermediate standard but yet most fellas over 55 (their era of hurling) said it was better than the modern game. laughter amongst everyone else ensued. 

It did get me thinking though about this year’s hurling championship and the level the modern game is at. fitness, skill and speed must be at its highest ever and 2018 for me was the greatest Hurling championship of all time.

Each to their own i suppose. Personally i think the Hurling from around 1990-2002 was the best style I've seen yet! Also like ground Hurling aswell. Wouldn't be a huge fan of the way the game is gone today it's getting to be very structured. The 90's were the best for the ball just flying up and down the field atmosphere was a lot better aswell and much better characters playing the game than we have today

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 18 Dec 2018 at 5:46pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 9:46am

Bit off topic but was down in the local on Sunday night and Eir were showing the 1983 final between Cork and Kilkenny. before the ball was thrown in, all the auld lads piped up at the bar saying this was one of the greatest all Ireland finals. 

anyway about 15 min and it was pure horse dung. hurling was slow, players were not fit, keepers were truly awful and the amount of needless ground hurling was ridiculous. I absolutely hate ground hurling with a passion anyway as it needlessly gives control of possession away 20/30/40 etc. yards down the pitch and it creates a 50/50 chance of the ball coming back down the field when the player could have easily got himself over the ball, gain possession and get the head up and give a pass or else take the man on and then strike to where the ground strike would have gone but in turn creating a 80/20 or 70/30 chance of possession. 

so anyway, at half time in the game I started the conversation about how bad the standard was. I compared it an higher Junior to lower intermediate standard but yet most fellas over 55 (their era of hurling) said it was better than the modern game. laughter amongst everyone else ensued. 

It did get me thinking though about this year’s hurling championship and the level the modern game is at. fitness, skill and speed must be at its highest ever and 2018 for me was the greatest Hurling championship of all time.

It was so much better that 2017, which was previously the best hurling championship of all time but will be nowhere near as good as 2019 which is set to be the greatest hurling championship of all time.

LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 9:38am

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 11:21pm
All Ireland senior club semi finals 2018/19 are the following 

St Thomas (Galway) vs Cushendall (Antrim)
Ballygunner (Waterford) vs Ballyhale Shamrocks (Kilkenny)

As a Waterford man would love too see BG win but it's will be a hard task with Ballyhale flying this year. St Thomas should have enough to beat Cushendall but won't have it easy 

Can't wait for the new season 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 11:24am
there has never been a chairman of the Waterford County Board who wasn't a member of FF. Fact! 
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 4:43am
What we have is actually an internal Fianna Fail split/disagreement between the East & West Waterford Fianna Fail branches, that is played out through the offices of the County Board, who are split on similar lines, the 2 branches of the CB being mainly made up of FF 'grassroots', who generally make the Kerry Healy -Raes sound like bastions of sense & complete impartiality. What the fcuk a county the size of ours (about 110k population, an even enough split between City & County) is at having 2 separate CB's in the first place is anyone's guess. Their ineptitude knows no bounds, but sure as long as they are kept in Big Dinners, who cares. I'll have the salmon thanks. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
familyguy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote familyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 11:35pm
Deise ye would appear to have one of the most inept and incompetent county boards in the country - that in itself is an achievement of sorts considering some of the absolute luaidirs and dinosaurs involved at board level in various county’s
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 12:07am
Agree with the lads above- hurling people in the likes of Kerry, WM, Carlow, Laois, Antrim etc have done great work trying to get teams competitive, and they have improved these teams despite meagre resources, but in the same timeframe, the top level has improved (as a whole, not just one super-team like Kilkenny of old) at an even greater rate, with the result that those counties are now even further away from the top than they ever were. 

The GAA administration needs to be split into hurling & football if any serious reform is going to be carried out, and ultimately these counties need their share of Dublin type funding as part of that. Don't see it happening any time soon though. 

As regards WD, great to see Brick back for another year, the man is a legend. In other news, we have lost home advantage for the first league game V Offaly due to breaking the laughable 'training ban' rules last year, or more accurately, not thinking up of a ''good'' enough excuse to get away with it, unlike Dublin footballers (went on a historical trip to France as a group) or Wexford hurlers (went on a group holiday to Portugal as they are all great mates). These rules are flouted, with permission, by the GAA themselves when it comes to junkets like Boston or Australia, and meanwhile, the only people that lose out are WD fans who would have gone to the first league game at home, but probably won't be too bothered going to KK or Wexford or Carlow to see Offaly in a league game. Well done GAA. 

Our CB has also been refused permission to play Munster games in KK, unsurprisingly. Repeating last years fiasco, they have until recently stated the games would be played in Fraher field, nobody quite sure of capacity as that depends on dispensation to allow use of the grass banks on 3 sides of that pitch, there is only one stand that holds maybe 3000. The GAA are clearly aware of how useless our CB are, as any time the CB put forward a sensible suggestion, they are easily shot down in the knowledge that, to use a McGregor quote, we'll ''do nothing''. Looks like another year of away games for us so, despite this all being known 2 years ago. Well done WD CB. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1014041/

Hurling and camogie recognised by unesco.

"By adding hurling to the list, the Government commits to keeping the game alive, ensuring respect for it and raising awareness about its importance.

The GAA has said that this will help the profile of the game, especially overseas"

Interesting. 

Overseas ?? Maybe they'd want to start in the many counties in Ireland where hurling is barely played. 

Well the GAA is growing rapidly overseas and will continue to do so. I do agree with you. Counties like Wicklow, kildare, Meath, Mayo, Westmeath, Laois, Louth, Antrim, Kerry, carlow and ofally should be receiving huge investment from the GAA for hurling.

I wonder what this means for government funding. A lot of money is pumped into promoting and supporting the irish language by the government. Will hurling get this special treatment too? 

Oh, I know - I see it myself first hand !
I just think it's s shame that hurling is supposedly one of our national sports yet it isn't actually played to a high level that widely. 

Couldn't agree more. Frustrating seeing all the money pumped into Dublin and so little into other counties with so much potential to grow. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 6:04pm

"By adding hurling to the list, the Government commits to keeping the game alive, ensuring respect for it and raising awareness about its importance.

The GAA has said that this will help the profile of the game, especially overseas"

Interesting. 

Overseas ?? Maybe they'd want to start in the many counties in Ireland where hurling is barely played. 

Well the GAA is growing rapidly overseas and will continue to do so. I do agree with you. Counties like Wicklow, kildare, Meath, Mayo, Westmeath, Laois, Louth, Antrim, Kerry, carlow and ofally should be receiving huge investment from the GAA for hurling.

I wonder what this means for government funding. A lot of money is pumped into promoting and supporting the irish language by the government. Will hurling get this special treatment too? 

Oh, I know - I see it myself first hand !
I just think it's s shame that hurling is supposedly one of our national sports yet it isn't actually played to a high level that widely. 
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 5:16pm

Interesting. 

Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 9:49am

Brick Walsh staying on with Waterford for another year. Man is an absolute legend! ClapClap
Good to see him giving it another year. Players retiring far too early nowadays George O'Connor started an All Ireland at midfield at 37

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 30 Nov 2018 at 9:49am
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 9:07am
Brick Walsh staying on with Waterford for another year. Man is an absolute legend! ClapClap
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 8:35am

Interesting. 

eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 7:53am

Interesting. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>
  Share Topic