You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wales v Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 33>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:28am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

I'm not particularly worried about what Wales might do to us at all. I'm confident we can limit their opportunities on goal and so on - the worry i have is that they are a very organised, very solid defensive unit and we suffer from a chronic lack of goals. If we had to get a draw out there i'd be fairly confident we'd do it without much hassle. I don't think we have it in us to break down their defence though.

Without having anything guilt edged, Georgia had 2/3 decent chances tonight. If we make a similar number, that could be all we need.
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:28am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Not negative just realistic. Wales got to the semi of the Euros, beating a very good Belgian side. They started this campaign poorly (a lot of nations who have a good tournament this often happens, it's like a come down) but they have really got their act together and I am a bit fearful of them now. Again, not germany or spain so we have a chance but it's very small
im not fearfull of this wales side atal. Im basing my opinion on tbe fact we seem incapable of playing any sort of football atal to win any game. Look at tonight, moldova pretty much had the majority of possesion in the 2nd half. Against any decent side were fcked in this current state were in. Hope to God we win but i just dont see it.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:29am
we will definitely need to score first. I'd say we would collapse if we went 1-0 down knowing we needed 2
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:29am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

I'm not particularly worried about what Wales might do to us at all. I'm confident we can limit their opportunities on goal and so on - the worry i have is that they are a very organised, very solid defensive unit and we suffer from a chronic lack of goals. If we had to get a draw out there i'd be fairly confident we'd do it without much hassle. I don't think we have it in us to break down their defence though.

They've only conceded one goal less than us.

They've also only scored two more goals than us.

Shane Long could have had two or three tonight. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
o_faz View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote o_faz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:56am
Football is a funny old game.... Ashley Williams is playing for a team bang out of form. Listening to the Welsh commentary James Chester got caught out of position more than once tonight. The lad that got the goal was putting silly tackles in all over the place - the commentary team were waiting for him to be sent off.

Its been a largely average group with 4 teams who are very evenly matched; and we've gained as many points away from home as at the Aviva.... what makes you so sure?
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 1:05am
One thing that strikes me is that there is far more pressure on Wales in this one. If we lose or draw, we can say we gave it our best shot and we were playing away from home. For Wales to throw away a play off place at home though would be a massive disappointment for them. In theory, the pressure should be on both sides but the heavy burden of expectation is on Wales, no matter how much they try and talk things down beforehand.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 1:22am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I'd give us more of a chance if Wales only needed a draw and they played with caution and we nicked a goal. The fact that they know they need to win to a) give them an outside chance of topping the group or b) get the last play-off place, I think them needing to win will mean we may get a bit of a battering and Wales can attack. We may be able to hold them off and even get a goal of our own, but they will keep coming the whole game. It kinda has the feeling to me that we are starting from -1 if that makes any sense

I'd love to think we could do it but I think as much as people do not like to admit it, Wales are a better side than us, not as big of a gap without Bale but still a small level up and they are the home side.

Turkey are a far better side than Iceland on paper. Look what happened tonight. It's all about attitude. If we're giving up against a strike force of Hal Robson Kanu and Sam Vokes before a ball is kicked, then what's the point in going to a World Cup?

Ta f**k, you’re right,
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 2:10am
..........Randolph
Christie Duffy Clark Ward
..Hendrick Meyler Arter
...McLean Murphy Brady

Ireland 1nil winners, Murphy
Welsh Ben View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Welsh Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 2:34am
Really looking forward to Monday night!

Firstly, I'm glad that we are not going into this having to win to finish second. As impressed as I am at our home form, I'm not always confident in our ability to put away our chances. However, I do feel we are capable of holding on for a draw at home. Thankfully Woodburn and Lawrence have come up with 2 cracking goals to seal wins that we needed.

Tonight against Georgia wasn't the most impressive game I've seen us play, however I feel we deserved our win as we were solid (for most of the game at least), we looked calm (a bit unusual ) and a few of our players stepped up, especially in the absense of Bale. For me our 2 stand out players tonight were Lawrence (even taking out his goal, he was my MOTM) and Joe Allen.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to sit down and watch your game tonight, but from what I've heard it sounded fairly standard. Wrapping up the victory early in the first half, with the second half being scrappy with nothing much to write home about.

I expect Monday to be a scrappy game for most of it, with neither team wanting to concede the first goal, and it opening up late on. I think both teams will have a fair number of chances, and it will come down to which team can put their chances away.

I hope those of you travelling over enjoy your visit! If you have any questions feel free to ask me

Also, if things don't go our way and we do end up missing out, I hope you guys do go on to qualify and have a cracking time in Russia
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 4:36am
the dream is alive
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 7:57am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

For sure we shouldn't feel any inferiority towards Wales but I like many others am struggling to see where this performance of ours is going to come from after what can only be described as a horrendous 2017 for this Irish team. 
Sums up how most are feeling but anything is possible in football. Results against Germany homa and away , Bosnia , Italy and Austria away are a distant memory considering our performances this year. We could be going into Mondays game knowing a win will give us a playoff and Id expect that along with Bale being out to lift our players . There is a performance in this team , I just hope we get it Monday and anything is possible then. 0-1 Murphy to score again.
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 8:07am
Has anyone genuinely watched Wales the past few games and thought Wow, what a team.Theyve got lucky, Hennessy has saved their bacon, in 3 games. They somehow beat Austria with a wonderstrike. We also drew in Serbia 2-2, let's not get carried away.

They've Ledley and King in midfield. Holy f**k men, we're stronger then that. Lawrence is their main goal scoring threat, Cyrus Christie can mark Tom Lawrence.

Ramsey, it's fairly simple what's needed. Harry Arter leg breaker challenge similar to what he done v Moldova last night that'll put Aaron Ramsey in his box.

We can certianly score, I don't see Vokes troubling Duffy aerially myself and Clark mops up dirty ball.

It's up to MON, to best that lot. I'll be sickened if we dont go hell for leather against them, they're highly highly overrated without Bale their set pieces are sh*t. I'd have them on par with Slovenia at the minute maybe Bosnia. They're no were near the standard of The weakened Italian side we beat in the Euros. When we're in a corner we usually deliver.

Hoofing it at Ashley Williams all night will be pointless, targeting Davies... now that wouldn't be a bad plan. And aerial balls to the wings hopefully that **** Taylor plays, we might get some Success aerially but it's going toccome mainly v McClean/O'Dowda/Wes driving st them and playing balls across for big Murphy.

2-0 Ireland. Lille 2016 here we come

Edited by SByrne24 - 07 Oct 2017 at 8:10am
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 8:15am
I think it bodes well for us that we have to win to get 2nd as opposed to needing a draw. We know what we have to do. Id expect a tight game though and us not really going for it untill the last 15 mins. Hope im wrong and we start with the right attitude. 
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 9:01am
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

Hoofing it at Ashley Williams all night will be pointless, targeting Davies... now that wouldn't be a bad plan.

Yes let's target their form player Ben Davies as opposed to their most out of form player ASHLEY Williams.... That makes sense
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 9:16am
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

I think it bodes well for us that we have to win to get 2nd as opposed to needing a draw. We know what we have to do. Id expect a tight game though and us not really going for it untill the last 15 mins. Hope im wrong and we start with the right attitude. 

You're called it spot in here. If we had to play for a draw we'd be snookered. The fact that both teams need to win means it'll be a seriously cagey game though
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 9:27am
I think this is the team that MON will put out.

Randolph

Christie
Duffy
Clark
Ward

Whelan

McClean
Arter
Hendrick
Brady

Murphy

I would go with something like this - 

Randolph

Brady
Duffy
Clark
Ward

Meyler

O'Dowda
Arter
Hendrick
Hoolahan

Murphy

With options on the bench like McClean / Long / McGeady / Hogan / Maguire to come off the bench EARLY in the 2nd half

SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 9:37am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

Hoofing it at Ashley Williams all night will be pointless, targeting Davies... now that wouldn't be a bad plan.

Yes let's target their form player Ben Davies as opposed to their most ut of form player ASHLEY Williams.... That makes sense

He essentially won every header in their box last night.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 10:10am
Someone is pissing off the Welsh lads again LOL
ago dai said:
This from a ybig forum member:

'I don't care what anyway says, that Wales side without Bale are weaker then Scotland. King/Ledley in midfield. Lawrence is a championship player, in and around O'Dowda standard. That goal tonight was a joke.'

LOL. 

I'm not getting arrogant, but I'd be very disappointed if we lost at home against Ireland now.

Some of their fans were chucking the fact around that we haven't won without Bale since so and so, well another fact is that we've only lost once in the last 21 qualifying games.

This is the same mouthy poster who I posted a link about the other day on Bale's injury ironically he gives his location as Southampton so has some English arrogance 
about him.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 33>
  Share Topic