You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Football 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 85>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote familyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 7:27pm
Huge win today for Clare away to Down. We are minus 10 of the players who started against Mayo last year for various reasons including farcical suspensions after Tipperary game. We have a minuscule pick which makes what this team is achieving all the more commendable
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 9:06pm
15 wides for Down and a penalty kicked over the bar
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 9:07pm
f**kin hell
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

Patrick Durcan is the only real emerging star from the Minor/U-21 batch that won All-Irelands at both codes. Open to correction on that.

Mayo have always had trouble in the final third. It's my major criticism of them. Andy Moran is an absolute gem of a footballer and if they had two other forwards of his style, they absolutely would have won an All-Ireland by now. Mayo's best strength is runners from deep who either create overlaps or provide enough support to create a scoring chance. Mayo's conversion rate from these chances has always been limited.

2 weeks ago in Salthill they were woeful. They had plenty of possession in front of the Galway goal but very few wanted to take shots from distance, even with a strong wind! No one had the balls or composure to take a chance. Then every time they wanted to land a high one onto Aiden O'Shea, he never got a sniff. Sean Andy O'Ceallaigh had him in his back pocket that day, and better teams than ourselves will target O'Shea and stifle him.

Cillian O'Connor is slowly getting found out. His free-taking is not as accurate as it once was and he's extremely limited from play.
Diarmuid O'Connor and Brendan Harrison are two other players of real quality to emerge for Mayo in recent years alongside Durcan.

Conor Loftus might be one and has certainly shown flashes to suggest so but he's untested as a starter.

I'm not convinced by Stephen Coen, I think he's limited enough. 

This is the third league campaign in a row (at least) where Mayo have been pretty woeful but in previous seasons they've been able to pull a win out of the bag to save themselves from relegation.

I certainly wouldn't jump to conclusions and say their form is an indication of their All-Ireland chances - I mean they were completely wiped out by Dublin in the league last year but were playing the best football they've ever played come August and September, but I would say the pattern of how Mayo have performed in the league and early championship in the last couple of years is an indication of a team reaching the end of its natural life span. 

They have a lot of older players who they are very reliant on and an extended squad that looks more threadbare by the year. 

At their best, Mayo play a high octane, 15 man running game which is very open and requires supreme fitness. As the age profile of the team grows ever older, it's harder to keep that up. You definitely can't do it during the league, and even in the early stages of the championship it's very difficult. In the last two years Mayo have only been able to play that type of game in the latter stages of the championship.

They might be able to struggle through to the business end again this year and suddenly raise their game in a similar way to how they did in the last two years, but then again they could easily be caught out before the last eight and be dumped out - they very nearly were on multiple occasions last year.

I'm in two minds about whether the Super 8 system will suit them. Latterly, they seem to need a good run of games to play their way into top form, but they have a weak squad.

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 8:08am
Patrick durcan was no part of either of those minor or u21 sides. Eoin O'Donoghue as well is a very exciting prospect and looks the real deal, despite having a tough time on Saturday.

It is going to be hard for us in a few years, but the spine of our team, AOS, CO, DOC, Lee, Paddy Durcan, eill be there for another few years yet. Hopefully we will see some of the young lads who were part of those successful team who haven't already done so can break through. We lost Cian Hanley to Australia, Tommy Conroy has had a torrid time after a tragic bereavement and hasn't really played football since and darragh Doherty lost his life in a car crash. They were arguably 3 of the top 5 players on that minor team.

RE the league form, I'm not concerned at all, yet! This pattern has existed for Mayo now for 7 years. Mayo did a full session on Friday night and probably again on Sunday. Winning home league games hasn't been a priority for a long time, because its the only time we can train collectively and so the priority is getting the work done there.

I would expect to win at least 2 of our next 3 games and stay up. But, if we lose on Sunday, I will firmly press the panic button!!
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 8:55am
Just saw last night there actually that Cian Hanley has quit Aussie Rules and gone back to Mayo. 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 9:44am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Just saw last night there actually that Cian Hanley has quit Aussie Rules and gone back to Mayo. 
yeah came home a couple of weeks ago. Could be a great addition for us, but will have to wait and see. He is definitely involved in the setup.
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 12:14pm
Would imagine it's safe to say majority if not all games will be called off this weekend

We due to play Tyrone in omagh so I'm already expecting thst to be off as omagh the worst pitch in Ireland and becomes unplayable with just the thought of bad weather coming
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Would imagine it's safe to say majority if not all games will be called off this weekend

We due to play Tyrone in omagh so I'm already expecting thst to be off as omagh the worst pitch in Ireland and becomes unplayable with just the thought of bad weather coming

Championship opener against Monaghan in May could be a doubt at this stage
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 12:34pm
Confirmed by the GAA. All league games this weekend are off. Will be played next weekend
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 3:26am
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 9:40am
f**king hell, that really is embarrassing.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 9:43am

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 2:51pm
That is literally the worst thing I have ever seen.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 7:00pm
Not for me bit coppers wouldn't be getting them made if didn't think they would sell.

Bit like the 1s made for the ploughing championships. They are the ugliest looking things but apparently sell well
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 10:25pm
Reminded me of the name of Garda FC's ground, Copper Face Jacks Park. It's a brand in itself these days.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 6:44pm
Ringer what’s the story with this Donegal yahoo with the bagpipes in front of me here at Healy park?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Ringer what’s the story with this Donegal yahoo with the bagpipes in front of me here at Healy park?

Goes to every game so he does no harm in him but even alot of the Donegal supporters fed up of it at this stage

On the game itself tonight thought we were extremely poor tonight very sloppy in possession. Our defence still looks vulnerable too and we conceding alot of goals (only team not to get 1 against us in the league this year is dublin) know Bonner wants to see what the young lads are capable of but I'd prefer to see the likes of McGee and mcglynn starting these kind of games
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 85>
  Share Topic