You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Michael Obafemi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 125>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 5:13pm
Kenny wasn't interested in him the last time he was asked about him as he thought he couldn't play a lone striker role in a 4-3-3. But we don't play that formation anymore so will be interesting to see if he can find a place for him in a 3-4-2-1, or if he simply doesn't rate him.
Sponsored Links

darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 5:21pm
He has 4 goals and 1 assist in his last 6 matches now. If he keeps his form up over the next two or three weeks Kenny could see him as an option in the squad.
With Idah injured there is space for another striker in the squad. Plus Swansea play a similar 3-4-3 formation to Ireland with Obafemi at the top tip of the front three so he could easily fit into Irelands system.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 5:40pm
There's a couple of weeks of football to be played yet before the squad announcement, but if he plays well and scores another goal or two there will definitely be pressure to call him up, simply because we have few other options right now.

This is of course assuming that his lack of interest in the under 21s doesn't extend to a lack of interest in playing for Ireland altogether. 
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 6:27pm
I'm in the camp that he needs to maintain the form. It comes at a great time for him. The four strikers last time out were Idah, Robinson, Parrott and Keane. Taking Idah out due to injury then I reckon Obafemi should probably be next in queue to come in, ahead of Collins and Connolly, if he can sustain this. 

Edited by Eoink21 - 05 Mar 2022 at 6:27pm
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 9:26pm
Could he just ship and declare for Nigeria ?

Edited by Healy52003 - 05 Mar 2022 at 9:26pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 12:18pm
Did well to recover from an awful first touch for the first goal, second was nice as well. Goes to show how useful his pace could be for us. He uses it better than Aaron Connolly.

Speaking of, I'm sure it would go over well if Obafemi was to take his place in the squad.
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 12:28pm
Our in-form player. If he doesn’t make this forthcoming squad then Kenny is letting a personal agenda take precedence over logic. I was there in Aarhus for his debut and his pride at playing for ireland was abundantly clear - his mum and bro even travelled to the back ass of nowhere on a freezing Tuesday night to see it.  
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 12:32pm
Him, Ogbene and Ebosele bring an element of pace that we haven't really ever had in Irish teams. Ebosele's acceleration from a standing start is on another level altogether, but all three are seriously quick. We haven't really had many players like them before, it's great to see players emerging who can really get a home crowd on their feet and I think these lads can do that.

To be fair to Kenny here I think there hasn't generally been an argument to call up Obafemi to the seniors before now. There was one point at the very start of his time as manager when he was playing a bit for Southampton and you could maybe argue the case either way, but the rest of the time he has been nowhere near.

However, things have changed in the last month or two and given it's a not a position of strength for us and given these are friendly games this seems like the right time to bring him back in. I'm hopeful that, assuming the player wants to come back, Stephen will take the chance to give him a fair shot with the squad.

Edited by You Tell Me - 06 Mar 2022 at 12:38pm
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 9:49am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Him, Ogbene and Ebosele bring an element of pace that we haven't really ever had in Irish teams. Ebosele's acceleration from a standing start is on another level altogether, but all three are seriously quick. We haven't really had many players like them before, it's great to see players emerging who can really get a home crowd on their feet and I think these lads can do that.

To be fair to Kenny here I think there hasn't generally been an argument to call up Obafemi to the seniors before now. There was one point at the very start of his time as manager when he was playing a bit for Southampton and you could maybe argue the case either way, but the rest of the time he has been nowhere near.

However, things have changed in the last month or two and given it's a not a position of strength for us and given these are friendly games this seems like the right time to bring him back in. I'm hopeful that, assuming the player wants to come back, Stephen will take the chance to give him a fair shot with the squad.

Correct on all counts. People trying to put a wedge between Kenny and him. Since Kenny took over he has either been injured or completely out of form. Did not warrant a call up.

He seems to have gotten his act together a bit lately and is noticeable slimmer (terrible thing to have to say about a 21 year old professional athlete!).

It is only a few weeks since his loan manager had issues with him so I am not yet convinced he has fully turned a corner. However his form warrants a place in the squad and he is a player, at his best, that will certainly improve us. Rewarding the improvement may also help sustain the change in attitude. No harm to bring him in.

He actually seems a nice guy. The implication from the clubs he has been with are around diet and athletic fitness.

It's not me it's you:-)
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Did well to recover from an awful first touch for the first goal, second was nice as well. Goes to show how useful his pace could be for us. He uses it better than Aaron Connolly.

Speaking of, I'm sure it would go over well if Obafemi was to take his place in the squad.

Connolly wasn't in the last squad was he?
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 9:55am
Just watched the goals, really promising display
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 9:57am
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Correct on all counts. People trying to put a wedge between Kenny and him. Since Kenny took over he has either been injured or completely out of form. Did not warrant a call up.

He seems to have gotten his act together a bit lately and is noticeable slimmer (terrible thing to have to say about a 21 year old professional athlete!).

It is only a few weeks since his loan manager had issues with him so I am not yet convinced he has fully turned a corner. However his form warrants a place in the squad and he is a player, at his best, that will certainly improve us. Rewarding the improvement may also help sustain the change in attitude. No harm to bring him in.

He actually seems a nice guy. The implication from the clubs he has been with are around diet and athletic fitness.

It was a permanent move to Swansea not a loan. hopefully he has sorted himself out now, would love Kenny to call him up, if he doesn't it looks a bit petty, considering the level of striker we have to call up, and with Idah injured also
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 3:58pm
So can we relax now that it's been mentioned he's going to be involved in the next squad 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

So can we relax now that it's been mentioned he's going to be involved in the next squad 

Haven't seen this anywhere is it definitely the case he's going to be in the next squad?

10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Haven't seen this anywhere is it definitely the case he's going to be in the next squad?

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 4:51pm
So no mention at all of him being in the squad! Weird people feel the need to lie.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 5:46pm

"But despite his good form, Kenny hinted that the ex-Southampton ace needs to keep his good form up to force himself back into the international reckoning."

Seems to suggest that he won't actually be called up. Which, given these are friendlies and he's in good form, would be disappointing.

Kenny has been very good up to now for throwing younger players in and giving them their chance to make an impression - O'Shea, Bazunu, Omobamidele etc. It would be disappointing to see him move away from that now that the next batch of players coming through aren't ones he worked with as much at underage level.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 7:03pm
Have we had any defection to Nigeria by one of the lads with connections? Sotona, Okoflex, Odubeko and Obafemi all speculated upon here at stages. And all look like being named in our squads over the next couple of weeks. 

Edited by Eoink21 - 11 Mar 2022 at 7:04pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 125>
  Share Topic