You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Michael Obafemi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7374757677 125>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Well the first thing with Obafemi is that he is still eligible for our Under 21s, who look desperately short of fire power up front with Idah, Parrott and Connolly gone to the seniors, yet he hasn't been seen in a squad recently. Why is that? He hasn't done a whole lot recently (up until last weekend) but he's still worth an under 21 call up you would think. It suggests that either there's been a falling out or he has made himself unavailable.

I think it's clear enough from past press conferences that Kenny doesn't rate him very highly. There was one where he went on about him not playing a lone striker role in his 4-3-3, but he has since been forced to abandon his own failed 4-3-3 formation in any case so that's presumably no longer of relevance. But he has never picked him or ever suggested that he has been unlucky to miss out. He seems to be nowhere near in Kenny's eyes.

Obviously there's also the ongoing concern of Kenny judging players based on his past experience with them in either the Under 21s or the League of Ireland, when in many cases the players have developed significantly since then. That's a problem that Jim Goodwin alluded to in a recent interview concerning McGrath.

However, having said all that, it's not clear that Obafemi actually has developed much in the last couple of years, between recurring injuries and reported attitude issues he hasn't kicked on at all yet. So we haven't heard much complaint about him missing out, which is fair enough. But it would only take a goalscoring spell over a few weeks for the questions to start up again regarding his complete disappearance from our international setup.

To summarise: Obafemi hasn't done anything to warrant a call up to either the U21s or Senior squad but it is somehow Kenny's fault hes not in the squad.Confused

No, that's not what I said or even close to it.

And he absolutely should be with the Under 21s but I suspect that it's his decision not to be.
Sponsored Links

AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 12:08pm
has he not been more or less injured or recovering from injury since he last played. i can't recall him playing for a month without an injury since he first broke through.

he has always looked unfit but with serious acceleration. the few clips i saw of him at the weekend he did look in good condition.

i would guess that if he puts in 4 or 5 games in a row (not just cameo's off the bench) he will be back in the senior squad.
It's not me it's you:-)
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 12:41pm
He has been injured since his last call for the u21s. I think the weekend is the 1st or 2nd game he's played.

If he can play some games between now and the internationals then having him in the squad makes sense.

Hes got road-runner acceleration that would give a defender nightmares. I dont think we have another player with such ability. 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 12:57pm
I'd love him to be a real contender for a senior spot but his playing stats just don't warrant it, and haven't for a long time.
Lack of any games stop him showing for the seniors while injuries also then stop him even showing for the 21s.

This season, he has 163 minutes of league action with 14 matches played, for an average of under 12 mintes per match.

He played 57 league-minutes over the whole season last year in the PL.  Not like he was deployed for cup matches...nope, 6 minutes total of cup action.
Crocked for a whole season, you may say.

It's the 19/20 season when he was last approaching regular time in the first team, playing in a lot of matches but only accumilating 17 minutes per PL match on average.

Can he stay fit enough to get a few sub-appearances in a row followed by a string of starts?
The stats don't suggest it is likely.

Edited by Fozz - 26 Oct 2021 at 12:58pm
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 1:02pm
if ogbene and Horgan can make the squad then obafemi should be.

And if I hear once more oh they were at the training camp they know what’s going on better.

What a load of thrash it’s football being played by professional footballers they understand the various roles.

It’s not Astro Physics.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

I'd love him to be a real contender for a senior spot but his playing stats just don't warrant it, and haven't for a long time.
Lack of any games stop him showing for the seniors while injuries also then stop him even showing for the 21s.

This season, he has 163 minutes of league action with 14 matches played, for an average of under 12 mintes per match.

He played 57 league-minutes over the whole season last year in the PL.  Not like he was deployed for cup matches...nope, 6 minutes total of cup action.

It's the 19/20 season when he was last approaching regular time in the first team, playing in a lot of matches but only accumilating 17 minutes per PL match on average.

Can he stay fit enough to get a few sub-appearances in a row followed by a string of starts?

Playing stats for forwards really don't mean much when connolly and idah have been fit and have even just as little game time as an injured obafemi.

If you compare the experience that obafemi has compared to both you'd probably see he has more premier league experience than both.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Playing stats for forwards really don't mean much when connolly and idah have been fit and have even just as little game time as an injured obafemi.

If you compare the experience that obafemi has compared to both you'd probably see he has more premier league experience than both.

Yeah, this is indeed true but, especially for Idah barring that nasty one he got, he has been fit and available for us when called.
Connolly less so but Obafemi even less so again.
There's also the fact that, when called upon for the 21's, Obafemi didn't look up for it and flattered to decieve.

However at this point, I'd have him in the 21's ahead of most of the forwards we are calling up, assuming he was fit to play.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 1:41pm
Yeah I agree but for the same reason I'd have idah back in the u21s. Hes done very little for ireland seniors and even less at club level. 

I suspect when he does get club football on a regular basis he'll struggle to find his feet in much the same way as parrott. I think we'll see the best from idah in a couple of years.

I dont think parrott is ready either but he's clearly ahead of idah in his development as he has a year of football with ipswich and mkdons already. 

At best- Parrott has a MOTM and 2 goals in a friendly against Andorra and idah has a 20mins spell vs Portugal where he held up the ball well 2 or 3 times. 

Neither are ready. 

TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

if ogbene and Horgan can make the squad then obafemi should be.

And if I hear once more oh they were at the training camp they know what’s going on better.

What a load of thrash it’s football being played by professional footballers they understand the various roles.

It’s not Astro Physics.

This.
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 1:31pm
looking at some player ratings for Michael Obafemi in his recent appearances for Swansea and what their fans have been saying he probably should be in that squad today . He offers something different than most and has been working tirelessly in his games for his club.

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 1:54pm
It’s a pity Stephen Kenny didn’t read the Swansea boards.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 2:07pm
how can you judge how a player is doing from a forum ???
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

how can you judge how a player is doing from a forum ???

I'd say u missed the touch of sarcasm......
It's not me it's you:-)
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

It’s a pity Stephen Kenny didn’t read the Swansea boards.
In fairness he’s looked fit and sharp in any highlights I’ve seen of him from recent games
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 2:56pm
Whatever your opinion of Obafemi, hes best left be from either a call up to u21s or seniors. Hes just back fit and getting minutes at Swansea, they look to be managing him well in his recovery too. So let him find his feet there, get minutes, get goals then we'll have a look at him again next year. No rush.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 10:23pm
Obafemi needs to stay fit for his club. Manager rushed him into a few 90 minutes coming back initially it just hampered him a bit. They weren't playing well no manager was under pressure around then. They are playing a lot better now so hopefully he gets regular minutes off the bench and the odd start. 

We can worry about him next summer at the earliest.

Edited by kevin100 - 04 Nov 2021 at 10:24pm
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 3:37pm

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Yeah, this is indeed true but, especially for Idah barring that nasty one he got, he has been fit and available for us when called.
Connolly less so but Obafemi even less so again.

If Obafemi and Connolly had a run of games without injuries they could turn into solid but very unspectacular Premier League strikers much like Doyle and Long, but that would be decent enough. 

But for players so young the amount of game time missed from injuries is a very bad sign. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 2:03pm
Not in the squad again today, must have picked up another injury.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7374757677 125>
  Share Topic