You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Michael Obafemi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 120121122123124 125>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

24 in 66 in thr Swiss League - not bad, but far from guaranteed he'll make an EPL impact.

You sound like a Brexiteer.

If he aint' done it in The Prem, he ain't done anything, innit.

It's a valid point from O'Shea, plenty of big money moves from higher ranked leagues then Switzerland have done poorly. 

But you also have to read the post as a positive for Obafemi.....so you're telling me there's a chance...I hear yah 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Sponsored Links

Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 3:21pm
just read the rest of the thread. 

Comparing class system snobbery in an office to a player moving from one league to another LOLLOL 

It would damage this forums' reputation
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

24 in 66 in thr Swiss League - not bad, but far from guaranteed he'll make an EPL impact.

It's a valid point from O'Shea, plenty of big money moves from higher ranked leagues then Switzerland have done poorly. 

But you also have to read the post as a positive for Obafemi.....so you're telling me there's a chance...I hear yah 

It's waffle. The majority of the best PL players post 2010 were bought from foreign leagues.

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

What does acknowledging the EPL's clear higher standard than the Swiss League have to do with Brexit? LOL

Are you a bit slow or just thick?

Lots of PL fan questions a player's ability if he's not "PL proven" or comes from a lesser known league.

Salah had scored 9 goals from 47 Swiss Super League games when Chelsea signed him.
Isn't that normal in every walk of life? If you take a step up to a higher level, the jury is out until you prove yourself at that higher level. 

If you're a judgemental prick, maybe.
LOL What?

"New lad starting the office today. I heard he didn't go to Trinity or UCD, lads. Apparently a sh*tty degree from Blanchardstown. I dunno if he's up to it"

In this context yes, that is being judgemental. Would still contend that in certain sectors that type of attitude would unfortunately still be normal, although perhaps a bit antiquated. Hard to compare average Joe in the office to top level athletes earning millions a year, I suppose. I think definitely in sports, it's normal and not judgemental. Perhaps due to the physical nature of the activity rather than a perceived level of intelligence?

So you're basically saying that it's fine to judge athletes/celebrities because they make more money than your average man/woman?

We either judge everyone or nobody. It's can't be in-between. T

The problem is that there are many British/Irish football fans who simply don't know enough about leagues outside of the top 4/5 that are televised on Sky and BT. They buy into the Premier League propaganda. It's the best league financially and is starting to use its financial clout to crush La Liga thanks to the years of greed by Barcelona and Real Madrid. But Spain regularly outperform them in European competition. Nobody would have given Sevilla a prayer. But they beat European heavyweights to get the job done. Again.

I don't make assumptions based on what league a player is signing from. Especially if I have never watched him play before.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 3:58pm
Banana Republic stop digging.

Absolutely nothing wrong with O'Shea's post which is a reasonable take and he even acknowledged the player's scoring record.  
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Banana Republic stop digging.

Absolutely nothing wrong with O'Shea's post which is a reasonable take and he even acknowledged the player's scoring record.  

Who are you?
Gaff View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2023 at 9:07am
Long time reader, rarely a poster. Is this Banana fella usually such a dope or is he just working through something at the moment?

Quite clearly has some unresolved feelings for the guy he keeps calling a prick.

How anyone could find it controversial to say that a player from a mid-tier European league is unproven at Premier League level is beyond me. I would have almost thought it so obvious that it doesn't even warrant saying... No one even claimed that he couldn't or wouldn't make the grade!

Comparing that statement to Trinity students looking down on Blanchardstown college students is top tier comedy. Thanks!
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2023 at 9:40am
LOLLOL Quality reading on the pot this morning 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2023 at 9:50am

As an example, Albian Ajeti was a strong goalscorer at Basel. West Ham paid £8 Million for him, and he didnt look up to the level of PL (never scored). He has also never repeated his stats after moving to Celtic, and has been loaned out to Austrian there. Its a fair point to argue that a player may not hit the ground running when they make the step up.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2023 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Gaff Gaff wrote:

Long time reader, rarely a poster. Is this Banana fella usually such a dope or is he just working through something at the moment?

Quite clearly has some unresolved feelings for the guy he keeps calling a prick.

How anyone could find it controversial to say that a player from a mid-tier European league is unproven at Premier League level is beyond me. I would have almost thought it so obvious that it doesn't even warrant saying... No one even claimed that he couldn't or wouldn't make the grade!

Comparing that statement to Trinity students looking down on Blanchardstown college students is top tier comedy. Thanks!

No sh*t, 30 posts before you decided to use 1 on me. I'm blushing.

I think The O'Shea is a clown. Look at you reading between the lines. 

If Burnley signed Mbappé, he'd still find a way to say that Obfaemi will be grand.

Looks like you didn't quite grasp that last point. I never said that those in the office were Trinners themselves. But you're most welcome.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2023 at 9:52am

For context, in my view, O'Shea can tend to approach things with a glass half full perspective as opposed to glass half empty regarding the circumstances or performances of Irish players. It like it as a helpful offset to some of the more fatalistic contributions which can be plentiful (and maybe the odd time justified!). 

In this case now, O'Shea was very reasonable and Banana, instead of appreciating this and the fact that his initial post was the unreasonable one here, decided to further entrench himself in the unreasonable camp by offering insults. Classy. 
Gaff View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2023 at 10:18am

If Burnley signed Mbappé, he'd still find a way to say that Obfaemi will be grand.

Looks like you didn't quite grasp that last point. I never said that those in the office were Trinners themselves. But you're most welcome.

To be fair bud, seems the common consensus is that you are the only clown in this thread. You seem like an angry individual, it's just a football forum.

It's Friday. Go get yourself a nice coffee, take a long walk and look forward to the weekend ahead.

For the record, if Burnley signed a fella who went to Trinity, I still think Obafemi would be grand.

Edited by Gaff - 21 Jul 2023 at 10:19am
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2023 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

As an example, Albian Ajeti was a strong goalscorer at Basel. West Ham paid £8 Million for him, and he didnt look up to the level of PL (never scored). He has also never repeated his stats after moving to Celtic, and has been loaned out to Austrian there. Its a fair point to argue that a player may not hit the ground running when they make the step up.

Ajeti had already left Basel at 17 for Augsburg in Germany. They sold him back to Switzerland 18 months later. That was a sign that he probably wasn't going to adapt well outside of his own country.

He wasn't a prolific ST at U21 level (0 goals from 8 caps) compared to Admouni who has 9 goals from 15, and followed it up with 5 goals from 5 caps for the senior team.

Ajeti's record in Europa was also poor at Basel. 3 goals from 15 games. Admouni scored 7 goals from 17 games last season. 

Ajeti is poacher, whereas Admouni is a ST who can dribble and presses/tracks back. His overall skillset is much higher due to his ability plays through the middle, off the striker and down the flanks.

Basel have a much better hit record than failure record with selling players over the past decade or so. Shaqiri, Xhaka, Schär, Sommer, Akanji, Salah, Embolo, Cabral, etc.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2023 at 10:25am

To be fair bud, seems the common consensus is that you are the only clown in this thread. You seem like an angry individual, it's just a football forum.

It's Friday. Go get yourself a nice coffee, take a long walk and look forward to the weekend ahead.

For the record, if Burnley signed a fella who went to Trinity, I still think Obafemi would be grand.

Think about it. You took the time out of your day to post on a forum you don't even post on. Maybe your are in fact The O'Shea's burner account. Have we unraveled a YBIG conspiracy?!

I'd rather drink my own piss than a coffee, thanks. Maybe save the life advice for someone who you know in real life instead of a stranger on the internet. Or become a counsellor full-time.

Great. Now you can go back to the shadows.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2023 at 10:30am
What a hill to die on LOL
Gaff View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2023 at 10:41am

Think about it. You took the time out of your day to post on a forum you don't even post on. Maybe your are in fact The O'Shea's burner account. Have we unraveled a YBIG conspiracy?!

I'd rather drink my own piss than a coffee, thanks. Maybe save the life advice for someone who you know in real life instead of a stranger on the internet. Or become a counsellor full-time.

Great. Now you can go back to the shadows.

What can I say? I like to help people who seem in distress.

Alas, some people are a lost cause. Enjoy the rest of your life getting riled up by reasonable statements on a football forum.

Edited by Gaff - 21 Jul 2023 at 10:43am
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2023 at 10:46am

Ajeti had already left Basel at 17 for Augsburg in Germany. They sold him back to Switzerland 18 months later. That was a sign that he probably wasn't going to adapt well outside of his own country.

He wasn't a prolific ST at U21 level (0 goals from 8 caps) compared to Admouni who has 9 goals from 15, and followed it up with 5 goals from 5 caps for the senior team.

Ajeti's record in Europa was also poor at Basel. 3 goals from 15 games. Admouni scored 7 goals from 17 games last season. 

Ajeti is poacher, whereas Admouni is a ST who can dribble and presses/tracks back. His overall skillset is much higher due to his ability plays through the middle, off the striker and down the flanks.

Basel have a much better hit record than failure record with selling players over the past decade or so. Shaqiri, Xhaka, Schär, Sommer, Akanji, Salah, Embolo, Cabral, etc.

Very little of that actually matters, particularly as not being prolific at U21 level is no metric of future success. You'll hear of plenty of names in PL2 that are supposedly ripping it up, and then never make the grade when asked to step up to the big leagues. Ajeti is just an example of somebody who scored well in Switzerland and then failed to replicate the form further afield. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2023 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Very little of that actually matters, particularly as not being prolific at U21 level is no metric of future success. You'll hear of plenty of names in PL2 that are supposedly ripping it up, and then never make the grade when asked to step up to the big leagues. Ajeti is just an example of somebody who scored well in Switzerland and then failed to replicate the form further afield. 

U21 international football is miles ahead of PL2. That's a poor take.

He scored and assisted goals vs Italy, France and Spain U21 at The U21 European Championship this summer.

Basically, I made valid points and you couldn't be arsed. That's what happens when discussing a player you haven't watched. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 120121122123124 125>
  Share Topic