Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

English FA Cup 2017/18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 26>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 6:08pm
Was something about a penalty awarded too
Sponsored Links

Reildogg View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reildogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Should be tasty tonight on BT Sport 19.45 ko.

<DIV ="span4 matchfixture">Brighton & Hove Albion v Crystal Palace

Where does this rivalry between the two come from?

The media.  The Rome Derby it aint.

The opposite of a media rivalry even!
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Where does this rivalry between the two come from?
I think it was the mid-seventies when it really kicked off, Brighton only adopting the 'seagull' nickname as a response to Palace's 'Eagles'. It really took off when Alan Mullery took charge of Brighton and Venables went to Palace, the pair had never got on at Spurs and their rivalry, the fact that Palace and Brighton had spent most of the previous decades in the same division, and also  that neither had a real derby, meant a real animosity developed. I'm sure there are pictures online of Mullery flicking the 'v' sign at the Palace fans. He also went into the Palace dressing room after a game, chucked his spare change at Venables and told him 'that's all you and your team are worth'. Bit of a character was Mullers!
This report indicates that Mullery threw the money towards the Palace fans at the side of the pitch:
http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brighton-crystal-palace-fans-hate-846765

Anyhow, it seems Mullery has made up somewhat with Venables, maybe after becoming a born-again Christian?
 "I went to QPR [as manager] just after Venners (Terry Venables). Everything about the club was about him. I opened a cupboard door and there was a big coat in there. I asked one of the secretaries whose coat it was. It was Terry’s… I love him dearly, but it was an absolute nightmare taking over from him.”

As for being a "character", I suspect we don't know the half of it:

So now Mullery was in a place that those blessed with a little luck would not wish to visit. Football had deserted him: he and June had lost their lovely house in Surrey and were living in diminished circumstances. “ I just sat there and stared at walls. I mean, I shave every day, but back then, I didn’t shave for weeks. I was an absolute scruff. I didn’t want to go out anywhere.”

The various desperations formed a pinnacle when they agreed on a joint suicide. I ask him how close they came to following through. The reply is unequivocal. “Close to having a shotgun and putting it under her nose. I went upstairs and got it out of the cupboard. She was fast asleep. Yeah, it was as close as that.

http://cooneyandblack.com/blog/how-close-did-we-come-to-suicide-as-close-to-having-a-shotgun-and-putting-it-under-junes-nose-she-was-fast-asleep-the-world-we-lived-in-had-become-an-entirely-different-place/

Edited by Territorial - 08 Jan 2018 at 6:39pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 6:43pm
Cheers Terri.It is quite sad, to say the least, to read about Mullery's problems. 
The penalty Deco referenced above is covered in the first link too.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 6:50pm

Cheers Terri.It is quite sad, to say the least, to read about Mullery's problems. 
P.S. Forgot to mention, but Palace are not "The Eagles", they'll always be "The Glaziers" to me, just like Chelsea are "The Pensioners". (And the Arse are "The Woolwich Gypsies")
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

P.S. Forgot to mention, but Palace are not "The Eagles", they'll always be "The Glaziers" to me, just like Chelsea are "The Pensioners". (And the Arse are "The Woolwich Gypsies")
I can understand those sentiments!
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 7:01pm
The rivalry started before then but that's just when it peaked.

Brighton were the only football club in West Sussex until 2011 when Crawley joined the ranks so their nearest before then was Palace who are 45 miles up the M23, hence why it's known as the M23 derby.

Edited by coyne - 08 Jan 2018 at 7:02pm
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 9:16pm
A Half empty ground.....this is what rivalries are made of.

Edited by ShamtheRam - 08 Jan 2018 at 9:21pm
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Reildogg View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reildogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 9:29pm

A Half empty ground.....this is what rivalries are made of.

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 10:27pm
Did they just pick this game at random to trial the VAR?

Any future games chosen?
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Did they just pick this game at random to trial the VAR?

Any future games chosen?

League cup semis
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 12:12am
The 4th round draw this year is what normally excites the people about the 3rd round draw, except there was no semi pro sides in the last round this year.

Yeovil vs Man Utd
Newport vs Spurs
Cardiff/Mansfield vs City.
Notts County vs Wolves/Swansea

They're all foregone conclusions but the fact that the lower league sides are drawn at Home is what the cup is about and is good for English football in general as they'll make a over a million quid each on the day.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 8:38am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 6:57am

On tv tonight.

Leicester City v Fleetwood Town
FA Cup 3rd Round Replay
19:45 ko
BT Sport 2 / BT Sport 4K UHD

Thought it might also have been on eir sport but not listed?

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 9:19pm
Anthony Pilkington has scored scored for Cardiff tonight.
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 9:29pm
Video evidence used to award Leicester their second goal. About bloody time this technology now been used.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 6:01am
Chelsea v Norwich City

Live on BBC One tonight 19.45 ko.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 9:28pm
Wigan currently beating Bournemouth 3 0.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 26>
  Share Topic