Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why are Germany the best?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:30pm
From what I have read of it this was excessive, even for the time.
Sponsored Links

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:57pm
In the Womans game,

The Germans have won 8 out of the last 9 Euro championships.
In the World cup the have won it twice and RU once in 7 tournaments.

They don't really dominate any other sports so it would seem they focus everything on Football. A bit like NZ and Rugby.

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Up there with Gentile on Maradona and Zico in 82 ?

The Portugeuse and Hungarians on Pele in 66 ?
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

The national psyche. Humility, determination and intelligence. Prepared to work hard and make the necessary sacrifices to achieve as much as possible. Inherent desire as a nation not to be judged on sins of the past.

There is definitely a lot of things to admire about the Germans. For the most part they seem to be a hard working, diligent people who would believe in things like civic duty and working for the good of society rather than the individual. However of the three things you mentioned, humility, determination and intelligence I would have to say that when I think of Germany, I would never think of them as being humble. Also is intelligence somehow an inherent quality that German people are born with?

Their consistency in football is absolutely unreal. 13 semi finals in 17 World Cups, ridiculous Clap
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

They don't really dominate any other sports so it would seem they focus everything on Football. A bit like NZ and Rugby.

Heike Dreschler ❤️
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Germans are sticklers for rules and are very disciplined.  They believe in the collective whole rather than individual greed and have a very strong work ethic.

As for us we are me feiners, disregard rules, lack discipline, and like to cut corners.

It aint rocket science.  Any population with those characteristics will be a success.
There's a name for it - it's called Protestantism.

Look also at the Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Sweden Finland etc it's no coincidence.

Then look at the corruption in Ireland and Mediterranean countries - all Catholic.

So they were just as feckless as the rest of us before the Reformation?

What is it in Protestanism that promotes these ideals and what is it in Catholicism that doesn't?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 2:01pm

Up there with Gentile on Maradona and Zico in 82 ?

The Portugeuse and Hungarians on Pele in 66 ?
Yeah, that was the impression I got of it. Apparently he wasn't fully fit for that final, I don't think there is any footage of it though, unlike the others mentioned. 
On a slightly related note, when I come home after a few pints and throw on Maradona videos, I am still amazed by the punishment he received. As you said, Messi and Ronaldo have it easy!
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 2:07pm
One thing to think of is the German Squad in terms of options  for the next World Cup is potentially ridiculous

GKs- Neuer, ter Stegen, Trapp Leno ,Pollersbeck

Rb- Kimmich, Heinrichs, Rudy* Toijan

Cb: Boateng, Hummels, Mustafi, Rudiger,Sule, Ginter, Tah, Stark, Kempf,Howedes

Lb: Hector, Plattenhardt, Gehardt

Midfield- Kroos, Gundogan, Khedira, Ozil,Goreztka, Weigl, Can, Arnold, Dahoud, Meyer, Demribay, Oztanuli

wings- Reus, Draxler,Sane,Brandt, Schurrle, Volland, Gnarby, Bellarbi, Younes

Forwards- Muller, Werner, Selke, Stindl, Phillip

Edited by lassassinblanc - 01 Jul 2017 at 6:58pm
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 2:10pm

Heike Dreschler ❤️

Ah here was she not a product of the East German "system"

Edited by Denis Irwin - 30 Jun 2017 at 2:11pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Heike Dreschler ❤️

She attended their academy LOL
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 2:50pm

Heike Dreschler ❤️

And so does the most powerful politician in Europe despite being a member of the SED.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 2:58pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

I also recommend the film 'The Miracle of Bern' (Das Wunder von Bern) telling the story of the fatherland's miracle victory over the Hungarian Wunderteam in the 1954 World Cup Final.

Many say it defined the German nation in the post War years.

PS Adidas had a large part to play in the victory, does anyone know how ?

Gary, tut tut - Hungarian Wunderteam ??? Always thought the Wunderteam was the Austrian team of the 30's.

Magical Magyars christened by the Brit press after the 6-3 win in Wembley when Hungary became the first non british country to beat England at home.

As regards the 1954 WC Final. Always smelt rotten to me. Hungary robbed - no way a so called Communist country would be allowed win the world cup.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:15pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

I also recommend the film 'The Miracle of Bern' (Das Wunder von Bern) telling the story of the fatherland's miracle victory over the Hungarian Wunderteam in the 1954 World Cup Final.

Gary, tut tut - Hungarian Wunderteam ??? Always thought the Wunderteam was the Austrian team of the 30's.

Magical Magyars christened by the Brit press after the 6-3 win in Wembley when Hungary became the first non british country to beat England at home.

As regards the 1954 WC Final. Always smelt rotten to me. Hungary robbed - no way a so called Communist country would be allowed win the world cup.

They were the second, we were the first.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:16pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

First non-British team to beat England at Wembley, we beat them in Goodison prior to that.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

They were the second, we were the first.

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:18pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

You are of course correct.

I think I was getting my Puskas's mixed up with my Sindelars LOL.

Both suffered at the hands of the Germans.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:18pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

First non-British team to beat England at Wembley, we beat them in Goodison prior to that.

That's not the way the English frame it though. The whole beat them at Wembley is a laughable excuse. Only because it was the Hungarians

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:24pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

That's not the way the English frame it though. The whole beat them at Wembley is a laughable excuse. Only because it was the Hungarians
I agree, it is dressing-up facts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic