Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=55447
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 5:05pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Why are Germany the best?
Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Subject: Why are Germany the best?
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:45am
After watching Germany brush aside Mexico last night it got me thinking, what makes them the best football nation of all time.
Brazil have had great teams that won B2B World cups but Germany have been consistently good for the last 70 years. 
This is not a debate who is better but what makes Germany consistent winners.

World cup
4 Wins (54, 74, 90, 2014)
4 RU's
4 3rd place
1 4th place
They have 13 top 4 places out of 17 tournaments.

Euro's
3 Wins (72, 80, 96)
3 RU's

At the underage levels they don't stand out.
FIFA U 20 world cup they only have won it once and one RU. (Argentina 6, Brazil 5)
Never won the FIFA U 17 (Nigeria 5, Brazil 3)

At the UEFA U21 they have 1 win (Italy 5, Spain 4)
At the UEFA U19 they have 6 wins (Spain 10, England 9, France 8, Russia 6)

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:47am
Competent Administrators running the game alongside proper coaching systems

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:52am
You would have to take into consideration several factors -

Population
Football is the number 1 sport by a good bit in the country, I would guess?
A competitive, profitable and self-sufficient domestic league
They're a rich country
They're a well run and administered country
They produce good football coaches
Good grass-roots system for football

Due to all the above, they produce good players.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:55am
The national psyche. Humility, determination and intelligence. Prepared to work hard and make the necessary sacrifices to achieve as much as possible. Inherent desire as a nation not to be judged on sins of the past.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

The national psyche. Humility, determination and intelligence. Prepared to work hard and make the necessary sacrifices to achieve as much as possible. Inherent desire as a nation not to be judged on sins of the past.
ClapClapClap

As I am 1/8th German, I totally agree with this.

Germans excel at everything.

Think of something, anything and most likely a German invented it.

Regarding football, their ability to start again with a clean slate after 1998 and 2000 tournament failures shows that they were not arrogant enough (like the English) to realise they needed to change.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:04am

Most definitely. Denis Irwin makes a strong point as well . DFB know how to run a show

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

You would have to take into consideration several factors -

Population
Similar to England, Italy, France and less than Russia

Football is the number 1 sport by a good bit in the country, I would guess?
Could say the same for most countries

A competitive, profitable and self-sufficient domestic league
Ditto

They're a rich country
They are rich because they are Germans.
France and England could be the same.

They're a well run and administered country
Ditto

They produce good football coaches
Ditto

Good grass-roots system for football
Ditto

Due to all the above, they produce good players.
Ditto

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

World cup

They have 13 top 4 places out of 17 tournaments.

That has to be one of the most impressive stats in all of football! Insane.

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:17am
Think Baggio and Cabra Hoop summed it up perfectly.

Well run and determined mindset.

The biggest thing is when they lose they don't sulk about it they look at what went wrong and look to improve.

Would recommend Rafa Honigsteins book detailing what they done after Euro 2000 to change things up.

As a German friend of mine said they have a Yoda style way of looking at things

"Do or do not there is no try"

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:17am
Should have mentioned the German mentality as well. Thought of it after I'd posted that. Young German footballers are less likely to get carried away with their wealth when they reach 16 or 17, firstly because they're probably not on silly money like an English footballer of the same age, and secondly they're more likely to be a bit more grounded.

Not sure England produce good football coaches?

Team sports such as Cricket and Rugby are also big in England, but not Germany

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:18am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Would recommend Rafa Honigsteins book detailing what they done after Euro 2000 to change things up.
Das Reboot

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Should have mentioned the German mentality as well. Thought of it after I'd posted that. Young German footballers are less likely to get carried away with their wealth when they reach 16 or 17, firstly because they're probably not on silly money like an English footballer of the same age, and secondly they're more likely to be a bit more grounded.
They look at it as a long term career.

Playing - education - coaching - administrating (whatever)

It's wouldn't be their ambition to become a tv pundit.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Das Reboot

That's the one couldn't think of the name.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:23am
Germans are sticklers for rules and are very disciplined.  They believe in the collective whole rather than individual greed and have a very strong work ethic.

As for us we are me feiners, disregard rules, lack discipline, and like to cut corners.

It aint rocket science.  Any population with those characteristics will be a success.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Germans are sticklers for rules and are very disciplined.  They believe in the collective whole rather than individual greed and have a very strong work ethic.

As for us we are me feiners, disregard rules, lack discipline, and like to cut corners.

It aint rocket science.  Any population with those characteristics will be a success.

Very true,be it 3am or 3pm,no cars coming,they wait until the light goes green to cross the road.

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Very true,be it 3am or 3pm,no cars coming,they wait until the light goes green to cross the road.

Aye. Was in Berlin at 3am back in 2012 and no traffic around, streets empty. This geezer was standing patiently at a red man waiting for it to go green.  I was thinking ''what's wrong with ye!''  as I just crossed the road.  Paddy doesn't like rules.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:41am

There's a name for it - it's called Protestantism.

Look also at the Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Sweden Finland etc it's no coincidence.

Then look at the corruption in Ireland and Mediterranean countries - all Catholic.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:45am

Look also at the Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Sweden Finland etc it's no coincidence.

Then look at the corruption in Ireland and Mediterranean countries - all Catholic.

How do you explain Britain then ?

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:45am
When I first saw the thread title the word 'mentality' came to mind. Subsequently Cabra Hoop summed up what I was going to type.

It isn't just the game of football that they are successful at, their success can be seen in every corner of German life. Sure they are by no means perfect but as humans they certainly use intelligence to continually strive for improvement.

We on the other hand are a bunch shysters

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

How do you explain Britain then ?
I can't, no-body can LOL

There always an exception, I suppose you could blame colonialism, the industrial revolution, immigration.

Little Englander mentality.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:52am

Germany is 50/50 in relation to religion. 34% Catholic/Protestant. The richest part in the southern states being predominantly Catholic.

Netherlands is 31%, Catholic 21% Protestant.

Take your point about the Nordic countries.

When it comes to football the majority of great footballers Pele, Di Stefano, Maradona, Messi, Puskas, Garrincha, Sindelair etc. come from RC countries.

-------------

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:56am
At times they need a wake up call , Lansdowne was one Thumbs Up

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 11:01am

When it comes to football the majority of great footballers Pele, Di Stefano, Maradona, Messi, Puskas, Garrincha, Sindelair etc. come from RC countries.
Very true and mostly from extreme poverty.

But great footballers don't always make great teams like the Germans always have.
Gunter Netzer hardly played in the 74 World Cup win.
Bernd Schuster another example of a talented player jettisoned for the greater good of the team.

-------------

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 11:54am

ClapClapClap

Regarding football, their ability to start again with a clean slate after 1998 and 2000 tournament failures shows that they were not arrogant enough (like the English) to realise they needed to change.

You are 1/8 German,  do you support Tyrone ? have you recently had a rather large jeep ? Is your German heritage from Munich ? And the biggest ? of all is do you soar above everybody most days ?WinkLOL

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 11:55am

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

ClapClapClap

You are 1/8 German,  do you support Tyrone ? have you recently had a rather large jeep ? Is your German heritage from Munich ? And the biggest ? of all is do you soar above everybody most days ?WinkLOL
LOL

I definitely think there is something in the German psyche that makes them better, it isn't arrogance but an innate self-belief that they will be the best if they put their mind to it. They will probably never produce a player  Cruyff, Platini, Maradona or Pele but they will still be in the reckoning at every major tournament. For those of you who enjoyed 'Das Reboot' I would recommend 'Tor!' by Ulrich Hesse(sp.) too. 

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

ClapClapClap

LOL

I definitely think there is something in the German psyche that makes them better, it isn't arrogance but an innate self-belief that they will be the best if they put their mind to it. They will probably never produce a player  Cruyff, Platini, Maradona or Pele but they will still be in the reckoning at every major tournament. For those of you who enjoyed 'Das Reboot' I would recommend 'Tor!' by Ulrich Hesse(sp.) too. 

Actually have that ordered, was recommended when I bought the Pep book

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:26pm
You will enjoy it, easily in my top ten football books. I understood them a lot more after reading it!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:27pm
Have a read of Lars Leese's book "The Keeper of Dreams" and compare the attitudes and lifestyles of English and non-English players.....

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:47pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

I also recommend the film 'The Miracle of Bern' (Das Wunder von Bern) telling the story of the fatherland's miracle victory over the Hungarian Wunderteam in the 1954 World Cup Final.

Many say it defined the German nation in the post War years.

PS Adidas had a large part to play in the victory, does anyone know how ?

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:50pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

I also recommend the film 'The Miracle of Bern' (Das Wunder von Bern) telling the story of the fatherland's miracle victory over the Hungarian Wunderteam in the 1954 World Cup Final.

Wasn't it the screw-in stud? The Miracle of Bern is quality alright, although there is a lot of rumours that there was doping involved in that game.

-------------

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:52pm

ClapClapClap

"Think of something, anything and most likely a German invented it"

Does bullsh*t count as an invention?   

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:53pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

They bribed the referee???

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:03pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

Wasn't it the screw-in stud? The Miracle of Bern is quality alright, although there is a lot of rumours that there was doping involved in that game.
Yes, they prayed for rain as they were the only team with adidas's new screw-in studs.

The Hungarians claimed syringes were found in the changing rooms after the game but the Germans claimed it was just glucose or something innocent.

It is true that Puskas had a perfectly legitimate goal ruled offside which would have made it 3-3.

In the group game Hungary beat Germany 8-3 but the Germans rested a lot of players.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:13pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

Yes, they prayed for rain as they were the only team with adidas's new screw-in studs.

The Hungarians claimed syringes were found in the changing rooms after the game but the Germans claimed it was just glucose or something innocent.

It is true that Puskas had a perfectly legitimate goal ruled offside which would have made it 3-3.

In the group game Hungary beat Germany 8-3 but the Germans rested a lot of players.

A reserve team that kicked Puskas up and down the pitch!

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:27pm

A reserve team that kicked Puskas up and down the pitch!
It was a man's game then, Messi and CRonaldo wouldn't have lasted five minutes LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:30pm
From what I have read of it this was excessive, even for the time.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:57pm
In the Womans game,

The Germans have won 8 out of the last 9 Euro championships.
In the World cup the have won it twice and RU once in 7 tournaments.

They don't really dominate any other sports so it would seem they focus everything on Football. A bit like NZ and Rugby.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:57pm

Up there with Gentile on Maradona and Zico in 82 ?

The Portugeuse and Hungarians on Pele in 66 ?

-------------

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:59pm

There is definitely a lot of things to admire about the Germans. For the most part they seem to be a hard working, diligent people who would believe in things like civic duty and working for the good of society rather than the individual. However of the three things you mentioned, humility, determination and intelligence I would have to say that when I think of Germany, I would never think of them as being humble. Also is intelligence somehow an inherent quality that German people are born with?

Their consistency in football is absolutely unreal. 13 semi finals in 17 World Cups, ridiculous Clap

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:59pm

They don't really dominate any other sports so it would seem they focus everything on Football. A bit like NZ and Rugby.

Heike Dreschler ❤️

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 2:01pm

So they were just as feckless as the rest of us before the Reformation?

What is it in Protestanism that promotes these ideals and what is it in Catholicism that doesn't?

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 2:01pm

Yeah, that was the impression I got of it. Apparently he wasn't fully fit for that final, I don't think there is any footage of it though, unlike the others mentioned. 
On a slightly related note, when I come home after a few pints and throw on Maradona videos, I am still amazed by the punishment he received. As you said, Messi and Ronaldo have it easy!

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 2:07pm
One thing to think of is the German Squad in terms of options  for the next World Cup is potentially ridiculous

GKs- Neuer, ter Stegen, Trapp Leno ,Pollersbeck

Rb- Kimmich, Heinrichs, Rudy* Toijan

Cb: Boateng, Hummels, Mustafi, Rudiger,Sule, Ginter, Tah, Stark, Kempf,Howedes

Lb: Hector, Plattenhardt, Gehardt

Midfield- Kroos, Gundogan, Khedira, Ozil,Goreztka, Weigl, Can, Arnold, Dahoud, Meyer, Demribay, Oztanuli

wings- Reus, Draxler,Sane,Brandt, Schurrle, Volland, Gnarby, Bellarbi, Younes

Forwards- Muller, Werner, Selke, Stindl, Phillip

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 2:10pm

Heike Dreschler ❤️

Ah here was she not a product of the East German "system"

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 2:37pm

Heike Dreschler ❤️

She attended their academy LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 2:50pm

Heike Dreschler ❤️

And so does the most powerful politician in Europe despite being a member of the SED.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 2:58pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

Gary, tut tut - Hungarian Wunderteam ??? Always thought the Wunderteam was the Austrian team of the 30's.

Magical Magyars christened by the Brit press after the 6-3 win in Wembley when Hungary became the first non british country to beat England at home.

As regards the 1954 WC Final. Always smelt rotten to me. Hungary robbed - no way a so called Communist country would be allowed win the world cup.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:15pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

Gary, tut tut - Hungarian Wunderteam ??? Always thought the Wunderteam was the Austrian team of the 30's.

Magical Magyars christened by the Brit press after the 6-3 win in Wembley when Hungary became the first non british country to beat England at home.

As regards the 1954 WC Final. Always smelt rotten to me. Hungary robbed - no way a so called Communist country would be allowed win the world cup.

They were the second, we were the first.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:16pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

First non-British team to beat England at Wembley, we beat them in Goodison prior to that.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:18pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

You are of course correct.

I think I was getting my Puskas's mixed up with my Sindelars LOL.

Both suffered at the hands of the Germans.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:18pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

First non-British team to beat England at Wembley, we beat them in Goodison prior to that.

That's not the way the English frame it though. The whole beat them at Wembley is a laughable excuse. Only because it was the Hungarians

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:24pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

That's not the way the English frame it though. The whole beat them at Wembley is a laughable excuse. Only because it was the Hungarians
I agree, it is dressing-up facts.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:25pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

One

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:26pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

Two

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:26pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

Three

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:29pm
Sorry lads, just clock watching on a Friday afternoon and having a bit of fun....think i'll go a pint bottle of Mcardles.
PM, you'll be glad to know that Mother Kelly's has reopened under a new name.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:32pm

Sorry lads, just clock watching on a Friday afternoon and having a bit of fun....think i'll go a pint bottle of Mcardles.
PM, you'll be glad to know that Mother Kelly's has reopened under a new name.
I doubt it is still a lunatic shop though! It was a mad spot.

-------------

Posted By: newrynyuk
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:29pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

Yes the 1954 Wirld Cup win did indeed define the German nation. Some say that Fritz Walter is the true father of modern Germany. It was that Wirld Cup win th gave A shattered and defeated nation back its self confidence and belief and kickstarted the economic miracle. If you ever visit the German Football Museum In Dortmund, you'll see fa huge section devoted to that 1954 World Cup win

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:13pm
It must've completely bamboozled them that we managed to get 4 points off them without our best player in both games last campaign.

Can't really warm to Low though. His sour-grapes reaction to our fortunate historic win made it all the sweeter Ireland sickened him.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: newrynyuk
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:16pm
Anyone else think that Jogi Löw looks like Cliff Richard?

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

I can see that especially with the same thatched haircut

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

No

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

It must've completely bamboozled them that we managed to get 4 points off them without our best player in both games last campaign.

Can't really warm to Low though. His sour-grapes reaction to our fortunate historic win made it all the sweeter Ireland sickened him.

TBH I wouldn't call his comments sour grapes.

It's not like we beat Germany by playing fantastically well and sometimes the underdog has it's day when they're fully deserving of victory! I don't think we could say that given how they dominated the game as you know.

The history books are what matters though Wink

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 11:45pm

Yeah, that was the impression I got of it. Apparently he wasn't fully fit for that final, I don't think there is any footage of it though, unlike the others mentioned. 
On a slightly related note, when I come home after a few pints and throw on Maradona videos, I am still amazed by the punishment he received. As you said, Messi and Ronaldo have it easy!

There's about 40 minutes of it up on youtube :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFNC0wwMbKo

A comment from one D.B.Cooper Smile says a week after the final all the Germans had to go into hospital? It turns out D.B comes from England and he gets sl*gged by German commenters who in German laugh at England losing to Iceland in the Euros.

Another comment says the Germans were all on Pervetin. The drug that produced incredible stamina that the NAZIS had most of the army on in WW2.

Posted By: Grubar
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 10:48am
Pervertin leaves me f**ked

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 11:11am
Why is there not a debate about the greatest football nation in history according to the original poster? Brazil have won the World Cup 5 times and produced way more iconic teams and players than Germany. You can hardly hold Germany's record in the Euros against Brazil! Also using success in the last 70 years as a benchmark is an odd number as all of Brazil's World Cup wins have occurred in that time span

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 11:12am
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

A comment from one D.B.Cooper Smile says a week after the final all the Germans had to go into hospital? It turns out D.B comes from England and he gets sl*gged by German commenters who in German laugh at England losing to Iceland in the Euros.

Another comment says the Germans were all on Pervetin. The drug that produced incredible stamina that the NAZIS had most of the army on in WW2.

That's the final.

-------------

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 11:29am

Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

That's the final.

OH sorry,yeah the 8-3 group game.

Here's about 10 minutes of highlights. Probably not detailed enough to see Puskas being kicked black and blue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjohMNXakHs

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 11:39am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Why is there not a debate about the greatest football nation in history according to the original poster? Brazil have won the World Cup 5 times and produced way more iconic teams and players than Germany. You can hardly hold Germany's record in the Euros against Brazil! Also using success in the last 70 years as a benchmark is an odd number as all of Brazil's World Cup wins have occurred in that time span

Correct.

Brazil are also the only country to have played in every World Cup and have won 8 Copa America's/South American Championships.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Correct.

Brazil are also the only country to have played in every World Cup and have won 8 Copa America's/South American Championships.

Yes Brazil have 8 Copa America titles.....out of 45 tournaments played.
Uruguay have 15, Argentina 14.

Out of 15 Euro Chmps, Germany have played in 12.
They didn't enter the first two and failed to qualify in 1968.
3 wins
6 semi's
9 quarter finals.

But WC's titles are the only barometer for measuring them against each other and it currently reads
Brazil 5
Germany 4

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 1:00pm
I didn't mean there was no debate regarding Germany v Brazil.... you could argue for either one but that's for another thread.

This thread is about why are Germany consistent winners.

-------------

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 2:10pm
Interesting that they won the U21 Euros without 6 lads that were eligible to be picked but were chosen for the Confederations cup instead ie. Werner, Sule, Henrichs, Kimmich, Goretzka, Brandt. Then there is Sane, Weigl, Tah who were also eligible. They will probably win the Confederations cup too despite not including Thomas Muller, Ozil, Hummels, Neuer, Bellarabi, Howedes, Boateng, Kroos, Khedira, Gundogan, Schurrle, Gomez. Amazing strength in depth.

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: alexbolt84
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 2:15pm
Das ist fantastisch! Watching German football with great interest. Bayern Munchen, Borussia Dortmund, Cologne. This country is home to a lot of talented players who can give some lessons how to play LOL For sure will watch Bundesliga this season, schedule was done and  promises interesting matches  http://777score.com/football/tournaments/germany/bundesliga-225%20 - http://777score.com/football/tournaments/germany/bundesliga-225 

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 4:06pm

I didn't mean there was no debate regarding Germany v Brazil.... you could argue for either one but that's for another thread.

What about all the times they were runners up? They've lost loads of finals the bottling bastards

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 4:31pm

What about all the times they were runners up? They've lost loads of finals the bottling bastards

Germany were consistent is the argument.
Whenever the lost in Finals it was usually to the best team of that era - Italy in 82, Maradona in 86, John Jensen in 92 and of course a dodgy linesman in 66.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 4:50pm

Germany were consistent is the argument.
Whenever the lost in Finals it was usually to the best team of that era - Italy in 82, Maradona in 86, John Jensen in 92 and of course a dodgy linesman in 66.
Subtle. It was a great strike though, I remember his only goal for Arsenal being a fine strike as well.

-------------

Posted By: planning
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 5:04pm
In football, they are successful because they're confident in their own abilities to get the job done. It comes across in this part of the world as arrogance, but arrogance is not a bad quality when you have all the tools necessary to achieve what you want to achieve.

Another quality they have is patience. If they find it more difficult than usual, they don't panic. A game lasts 90 minutes, they don't believe it must be won in the first 10 minutes like over here. They don't believe in lucky breaks and getting stuck in as viable tactics. They won't boo the team off at half time when they're not winning as over here, nor if they go 1 or even 2 goals down. They believe that if they do everything as they planned and prepared for, eventually they'll simply wear the opposition down and the goals will flow. Defending for 90 minutes is a long time, and it needs incredible discipline to succeed. But usually the door opens at some point and they take advantage. And if penalties are needed, they practice them to such an extent that everybody is confident they will do the job if called upon. Penalties are an art of the game, and the Germans rarely lose them.

Humility is not why they're the best but they do it differently to everyone else. After they beat Brazil in Brazil, they just went about their business as if it was after winning a group stage game against a minnow. Anyone else would be leaping around the pitch doing laps of honour. Their bench just strolled onto the pitch, consoled the opposition, and wandered off. Similiarly, when they qualify for tournaments, they barely celebrate, and see it as a stepping stone to bigger fish to fry in the summer. They do it the easy way with the minimum of fuss. To them, the tournament starts in the knockout rounds. When we qualify, we see it as a major achievement, hand out new contracts and goodies, and reminisce about it decades later.

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 5:17pm
More bleeding tripe

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 5:28pm

More bleeding tripe
I disagree, I like tripe.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 5:33pm
 The Reich does not tolerate failure

-------------

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 6:21pm

The Reich does not tolerate failure
is that why they bailed us out in 08?

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 8:56pm
This stat sums them up perfectly

They lost the Euro 1976 Final on penalties

Since then

World Cup - Won 4 out of 4 100%
Euro's - Won 2 out of 2 100%

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 8:57pm
You'd have to think that they'd be favourite for World Cup next year

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 8:59pm
Hard to see past them IMO

-------------

Posted By: irishmale0399
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 9:27pm
Amazing what can happen when grassroots is setup correctly, coaches are regularly trained to achieve the same things and most importantly when the association is behind it all 110%. Starts with kids aged 6-7 and younger being told how to play formation wise, standardised pitch size....coaches being told how to professionally set up training, regional talent programmes......training camps.....

If I am correctly informed what we are now seeing are the first rewards of the system set up by Matthias Sammar during his time with the DFB some years ago.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 8:48am
Originally posted by irishmale0399 irishmale0399 wrote:

If I am correctly informed what we are now seeing are the first rewards of the system set up by Matthias Sammar during his time with the DFB some years ago.
Incorrect.

Sammer was appointed in 2006 to continue the system that was already set up.

He was part of it, but not instrumental, no-one was.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 10:25am
Just bumping this after stat posted in the World Cup Qualifying thread

Germany have not lost an away World cup Qualifier, in fact they have only ever lost 2 Qualifiers at home to Portugal in 86 qualifiers and of course at home to England in 2002 qualifiers both times they went on to reach the World Cup Final 

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 4:45pm
The Germans must find these qualifying groups really boring - they always get through.
They live in a different world to us.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2018 at 9:05am
Will they win back to back world cups for the first time?

Europe have won the last 3 in a row and 4 out of the last 5.
I think they will make it 4 in a row in Russia.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2018 at 9:54am

Will they win back to back world cups for the first time?

Europe have won the last 3 in a row and 4 out of the last 5.
I think they will make it 4 in a row in Russia.

They are certainly capable

Date Posted: 18 May 2018 at 9:55am
Sandro Wagner has retired for International Football after being left out of squad was surprised myself to see Mario Gomez selected ahead of him

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 12:53pm
https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/10-reasons-germany-are-football-s-greatest-force-werner-kimmich-454183.jsp" rel="nofollow - https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/10-reasons-germany-are-football-s-greatest-force-werner-kimmich-454183.jsp

Good article on why Germany are the best.

-------------

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 1:00pm
Read Das Reboot for a very good look at how Germany got back to the top.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 1:03pm

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/10-reasons-germany-are-football-s-greatest-force-werner-kimmich-454183.jsp" rel="nofollow - https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/10-reasons-germany-are-football-s-greatest-force-werner-kimmich-454183.jsp

Good article on why Germany are the best.

Germans are very serious and don't take short cuts.  They are methodical and work hard.

The Irish aren't that serious, love to take short cuts, hate work and aren't methodical.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Read Das Reboot for a very good look at how Germany got back to the top.

Cheers - will give it a read.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net