Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Champions League 17/18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 79>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 4:42pm
Not to mention Spain is well over 3 times bigger than England. 

Just an example of some of the longest treks in Spanish and British football.

La Coruna to Malaga is nearly 11 hours.

Carlisle to Plymouth is just over 6 hours.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Not to mention Spain is well over 3 times bigger than England. 

Just an example of some of the longest treks in Spanish and British football.

La Coruna to Malaga is nearly 11 hours.

Carlisle to Plymouth is just over 6 hours.
Plus the fact that Spain has always been more "regional" than England; also two giant clubs have usually dominated Spanish football more than their English counterparts; and the fact that until comparatively recently, Spain was a much poorer and more restricted country (Franco etc) than England, with a very poor transport infrastructure (esp trains).
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 5:25pm
Sure I was at Atletico v Leganes last year and there were about 100 Leganes fans at it.

I get not travelling a long distance but it is insane that they take next to no fans to games in the same city.

Sure you'd imagine there are season ticket holders who live closer to a rival's stadium than their own, and they likely still don't go. I can't fathom it.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I'd blame Sky Sports more

Sky must be so pissed off that they can't get their grubby mitts on the CL these days.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Sure I was at Atletico v Leganes last year and there were about 100 Leganes fans at it.

I get not travelling a long distance but it is insane that they take next to no fans to games in the same city.

Sure you'd imagine there are season ticket holders who live closer to a rival's stadium than their own, and they likely still don't go. I can't fathom it.
Football fans are largely creatures of habit, with the habit being passed down through the generations.

For some of the reasons discussed above (and doubtless others), it seems Spanish fans have never got into the habit of travelling to away games.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Recently the best clubs in England have been criticised heavily when they get tanked by the likes of Barca, Real or Bayern every year. Imagine how bad the hammerings would be if they started filling the teams with Irish, Scottish and Welsh players.
They're under no obligations to even play English men on the team. In a lot of the top EPL teams the English players are actually the weak links. (Cahill for Chelsea, Stones against Monaco last season, Gibbs for Arsenal against Bayern off the top of my head, Smalling for United)

As for Distillery or the like ever playing Barcelona again. Well as Bhob said, it isn't the 1970s anymore. They'd maybe get to play their youth team in a friendly some day if they're very lucky.

Whether the EPL has caused the standard of Irish, Welsh or Scottish players to decline is another argument I suppose.
Since its inception we have qualified for more major tournaments than we did in the 70s and 80s when we had all these top players in the top teams in England don't forget.

True but less teams qualified for tournaments back then,

8 teams for euro 88, 24 teams for euro 2016
24 teams Italia 90, 48 for the next World Cup

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 10:25pm
Should city be that low?

Man City 10/3
Barca/Bayern 5/1
Real 11/2
Liverpool 10/1
Man U 20/1

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Should city be that low?

Man City 10/3
Barca/Bayern 5/1
Real 11/2
Liverpool 10/1
Man U 20/1

Well Barca and Real may not qualify. Where are PSG in the betting?
El Puto Amo
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Should city be that low?

Man City 10/3
Barca/Bayern 5/1
Real 11/2
Liverpool 10/1
Man U 20/1

Well Barca and Real may not qualify. Where are PSG in the betting?
I’ve a sneaky feeling for Liverpool but 10/1 is too short.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 11:00pm
about 10-12/1 for PSG

Shows how sh*t Man United are looked at with a price of 20/1 when they are favourites to progress from their game with Sevilla. 

Wouldn't waste a bet on Barca
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 11:01pm
Are Juve eliminated already like ?
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 11:07pm
Those prices obviously include the fact City and Liverpool are basically 1/1000 to make the quarter finals, whereas United are more like 2/5.

If United make the quarters, they'll be down to 12/1 in no time.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 11:14pm

Those prices obviously include the fact City and Liverpool are basically 1/1000 to make the quarter finals, whereas United are more like 2/5.

40/1 would be about right for them, haven't a hope of doing anything in the competition 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 11:28pm
Real Madrid are finding form at just the right time, Bale is now seemingly back to full fitness, Asensio and Vasquez are really stepping up domestically (especially) of late and Zidane's rotation policy with Ronaldo is worth it's weight in gold given his CL form. 

The one major worry is Benzema, him not scoring isn't even the main issue it's his lack of general play.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bale start through the middle against PSG.

Real will win the competition imo. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 2:07am
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

40/1 would be about right for them, haven't a hope of doing anything in the competition 

Quarter Final Line up

Bayern
City
Liverpool
PSG/Real
Barca/Chelsea
Spurs/Juve
Roma/Shaktar
United/Sevilla

Top 3 sides already through and all capable of winning the CL. The next 3 ties, whoever goes through are all capable of winning the CL. So in the last 8 there will be 6 teams well capable of winning it.

Every one of those 6 sides will pray that they face the winners of either the Roma tie or the United tie. Either will be a good draw, but it looks like the winner of the United tie will be by far the weakest of the 8 remaining sides, especially if Roma go through.

Agree with Bob, United have no hope of winning this competition. Tbh, I wouldn't back them at 100/1 with your money Bob. This United side never had a chance though, and this talk of it being a cup competition and anything can happen is hilarious. If United go through (and they are probably going to make seriously heavy work of a basket case Sevilla side), and even if United then got the lucky draw of Roma/Shaktar, they would still have zero chance whatsoever of winning the CL.

"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

Even the English can't relate to their own clubs anymore...if you go to an EPL game you are surrounded by tourists taking snaps...you hardly meet a proper English person at a match anymore in their own country.
Garbage! Confused

Garbage is what we all witnessed last night...how can Ferguson and Charlton sit through such sh*te?

And you think MON is ignorant to TOD check out the so called special one.The man who robbed MON of a European title with the Celts..finally getting caught out the great translator.

Someone mentioned some great ties; God help us.
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 9:03am
Wacko
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 9:09am
Some free kick from Fred. He'll be a City player in the summer all being well.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 79>
  Share Topic