You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Champions League 17/18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 79>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

When the draw was made you'd have given Chelsea a good chance of getting through, not now. How are Sevilla doing in La Liga now??

Against Barca ?

No against The Wombles. Yes Barca would have been slight favourites back in December. I still think all the Spanish clubs will be out before the semis.

Barca v Real final so LOL
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Sponsored Links

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

When the draw was made you'd have given Chelsea a good chance of getting through, not now.
Maybe not "good", but a "decent outside" chance (at the time)?

How are Sevilla doing in La Liga now??
La Liga is looking uncannily like the Prem just now: 
One team running away with it (Barca and City); 
Another team looking good for second (Atletico and MU); 
Three teams scrambling for the two remaining CL spots (Valencia/RM/Villareal and L'pool/Chelsea/Spurs.

Meaning Sevilla in sixth place are like Arsenal i.e. struggling to stay with the chasing pack, except that their recent league form looks worse than the Gooners (L L W D L versus D L W L W). They even got humped 5-1 at "little Eibar" on Saturday (though their Copa Del Rey form is holding up well):

So their form is much as it was earlier in the season, I saw some othe Liverpool games against them and they should have won very easily in both, and they loast away 5-1 or something to the Russian team. Cant see UNited have any problems with them.

Sevilla have really dropped in standards, at one stage they looked like doing an Atletico Madrid and go from the top Europa League team to a good Champions League one
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 1:38pm

When the draw was made you'd have given Chelsea a good chance of getting through, not now. How are Sevilla doing in La Liga now??

Against Barca ?

No against The Wombles. Yes Barca would have been slight favourites back in December. I still think all the Spanish clubs will be out before the semis.

I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet.

Actually they have only met twice in the competition. Both Semi-finals 02 and 11 (with the exact same score but opposite, a fix!)

Barcelona 0-2 Real Madrid
Real Madrid 1-1 Barcelona
2001/02 UEFA Champions League semi-finals

Real Madrid 0-2 Barcelona
Barcelona 1-1 Real Madrid
2010/11 UEFA Champions League semi-finals

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 07 Feb 2018 at 1:39pm

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 1:53pm

Against Barca ?

Really? Spanish teams have won the last 4 Champions Leagues.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Against Barca ?

Actually they have only met twice in the competition. Both Semi-finals 02 and 11 (with the exact same score but opposite, a fix!)

Barcelona were the first team to knock Real Madrid out of the European Cup after Real Madrid had won the first 5 European Cups.

As You Were
Three in a row
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 1:59pm
PSG are good things to knock Real out.
There are problems with Real. It isn't all going to be rectified and click into place for the CL knockout stages. Same for Chelsea against Barca, but that's more obvious.

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 07 Feb 2018 at 2:00pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 2:02pm

So [Seville's] form is much as it was earlier in the season, I saw some othe Liverpool games against them and they should have won very easily in both, and they loast away 5-1 or something to the Russian team. Cant see UNited have any problems with them.
Sevilla have really dropped in standards, at one stage they looked like doing an Atletico Madrid and go from the top Europa League team to a good Champions League one.
You might think so, but the curious thing is, earlier in the season they were managed by Eduardo Berizzo, appointed only during the summer. After he was sacked, he was replaced by Vincenzo Montella on 28th December. 

Montella can claim a 50% win rate in his 10 matches since, except that it's 80% for the Spanish Cup (four wins out of five), but only 20% for La Liga (one win out of five)!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincenzo_Montella

http://www.bdfutbol.com/en/p/l1825.html?temp=2017-18
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 2:02pm
I wouldn't write Chelsea entirely off with that Barca defence tbh. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Barcelona's defence has been outstanding this season.

As You Were
Three in a row
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 2:09pm

In La Liga to date, Barca have played 22 games, won 18, drawn 4 and lost none.

Part of that must obviously be down to their goal-scoring potency (60 goals = 2.7 per game), but with only 11 conceded, their defence surely can't be that vulnerable?
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 2:17pm

Part of that must obviously be down to their goal-scoring potency (60 goals = 2.7 per game), but with only 11 conceded, their defence surely can't be that vulnerable?

Was at their home match against 17th place Alavez last week and their defending was suicidal. Should have been 2 down by half time and caught on the break very badly numerous times. 
Chelsea should take a look at that Alavez 1st half, sit back like they did as they have the strength and pace to hurt Barca on the break. 

Barca should progress don't get me wrong, but Chelsea can certainly get some joy against that defense. Chelsea will be a different proposition over La Liga connon fodder. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 2:17pm

Umtiti has kicked on a lot this season. He has looked really good. 

Even the much maligned Vermaelen has done well when he has played. 

They have a number of injuries/suspensions at centre half though so the new signing Yerry Mina is due to get his debut in the coming week. 
El Puto Amo
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Against Barca ?

Barcelona were the first team to knock Real Madrid out of the European Cup after Real Madrid had won the first 5 European Cups.
If I remember correctly from Jimmy Burns' book, Barcelona were much happier with a referee that wasn't appointed by the Spanish association.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 3:05pm

Was at their home match against 17th place Alavez last week and their defending was suicidal. Should have been 2 down by half time and caught on the break very badly numerous times. 
Chelsea should take a look at that Alavez 1st half, sit back like they did as they have the strength and pace to hurt Barca on the break. 

Barca should progress don't get me wrong, but Chelsea can certainly get some joy against that defense. Chelsea will be a different proposition over La Liga connon fodder. 

I really have a problem with this. Look at how many teams have taken points off Real Madrid this season. Levante is 17th have drawn twice with Real Madrid this season. Girona, first ever season in the top flight beat Real Madrid. Espanyol in 15th beat Barca in the Copa Del Ray and were unlucky not to win last Sunday. 

BTW, Chelsea conceded 7 in a week to Bournemouth & Watford. 

As You Were
Three in a row
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 3:07pm
Barcelona are going to mash Chelsea into a blue and white pulp.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Barcelona are going to mash Chelsea into a blue and white pulp.
This gave me an image of Jarvis Cocker dressed as Braveheart.

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 4:01pm

With Sergio Roberto, Pique, Umtiti and Jordi Alba at the back? That's a very strong defence and they also have one of the best goalkeepers about in Ter Stegen and also probably the worlds best defensive midfielder in Busquets.

Edited by BrendanD88 - 07 Feb 2018 at 4:02pm
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Against Barca ?

Really? Spanish teams have won the last 4 Champions Leagues.

Yup, Sevilla are not gonna do anything, Real are having a poor season and weren't great in the groups either so I see them out to PSG, and if Barca get through to 1/4 finals a tough draw and adios 

I always thought Barca had knocked Real out of the knock out stages more than once in the last 10 years???
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 79>
  Share Topic