You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

London Tower Block fire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

30 confirmed deaths now Cry

It will, unfortunately, be a lot higher. f**ked if I would be a fireman this week. I saw a crowdfunding page to raise money for a drinking session for them, if anybody ever deserved a pint it is those lads. 

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:45pm
Here's a list of how Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation neglected the nearby Adair Tower. It also had a fire in October 2015.

http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/notice_detail.asp?id=272412
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:46pm
Was talking to a mate last night who works at the Chelsea & Westminster hospital. He was saying they've been involved in the aftermath of both Terror events in London this year and the Grenfell Tower fire. Has to be tough on all of the staff there. He said this week was particularly traumatic for staff given the stories of those involved. Hope they get the support needed after this also, as well as those directly affected. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

This IS political. 

It's as political as it gets. 

It's about how "health and safety" has been demonised. It's about how"red tape", "nanny state" and "unnecessary regulations" (all deliberately pejorative phrases) have been demonised. 

It's about how "light touch regulation" (a "positive" phrase) has been treated as gospel. Criminally negligent regulation is a far more accurate phrase.

It's about how working class people, immigrants, the poor, the unemployed and the disabled (a disabled 70 year woman living on the 23rd floor, anyone?) have been demonised and not listened to.

I really don't get how some people are having a hard time understanding that. 

And we all know which party and which section of the media takes by far the lion's share of the blame for that.

They created the culture where this sort of thing and Hillsborough are allowed to happen.

Of course it is, but there is a time and a place to politicise it! That is the point.

I actually think that by immediately politicising it, before the death count has even been finalised, you are fuelling the belief that these people's lives are unimportant. Much like Hillsborough, something Britain appears to have learnt nothing from.
By politicising the deaths of people you, and so many more in the media, are dehumanising them. 
So, when the next tragedy comes around, caused by reasons we both know, we end up with two sides of the media flinging faeces at each other while people mourn and questions that should have been asked, or even were asked, get lost in the maelstrom of sh*t.

The time to politicise this political issue is NOW. 

By saying that "it shouldn't be politicised", you are running away from reality and letting the people and the political and media culture responsible off the hook.

Believe me, those responsible for the neglect, and the political culture of demonisation of poor people, will look to push this back on the victims, just like at Hillsborough. 

They already are.

Look at this from the scumbag Tory leader of Kensington and Chelsea Council. 

"The dead can't talk back, so let's blame them" is the strategy.

Which is what was done at Hillsborough, and we ended it up with everybody shouting over each other and the truth being ignored.
Let the people grieve.
The funny thing is, the reason Corbyn is getting political sympathy out of this is because he is doing just that. 
I also think you are 'letting them off the hook' far more by letting them to get excuses in before the truth, blurring the lines. The sensible thing to do is stand back, but sense isn't common. We need to dramatise every single thing, everything is a television show.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:48pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 1:44pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 1:49pm

Which is what was done at Hillsborough, and we ended it up with everybody shouting over each other and the truth being ignored.
Let the people grieve.
The funny thing is, the reason Corbyn is getting political sympathy out of this is because he is doing just that. 
I also think you are 'letting them off the hook' far more by letting them to get excuses in before the truth, blurring the lines. The sensible thing to do is stand back, but sense isn't common. We need to dramatise every single thing, everything is a television show.
What happens after a disaster of this nature is that the Tories immediately go into not just damage limitation mode, but on the offensive and attempt to turn the blame back on the victims. 

They are trying to do this right now. 

They were allowed do it straight after Hillsborough and they must not be allowed do it again. 

We know at least three things for sure.

i) The cladding was a fire hazard. 
ii) There was no sprinkler system. 
iii) The fire alarm didn't work. 

So we know the building was unsafe, and we know the safety regulations were completely inadequate. 

We know other things too. We know a local Labour councillor made 9 official complaints on behalf of the residents of Grenfell Tower. She was told that "these people should be truly grateful for all the money that is being spent on them". 

We know that a blog post was written last November specifically predicting what has just happened.

And it's not just a case of sitting back and waiting for the results of an inquiry, because the likelihood is that there are many hundreds of other tower blocks which are similar fire hazards, and people have to live in them right now, and they have to sleep in them tonight.

Eight years ago there was a fire in London which killed six people, which was accelerated by cladding which was a fire hazard. 

That's eight years ago. 

I guess the narrative then was to sit back calmly and respectfully and wait for the results of the inquiry too. And precisely nothing was done.

Only anger will change things in this case and the more of it the better.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 2:03pm
There is no narrative, this isn't a boxset and that is precisely the problem. It is almost as if that as soon as there is a tragedy we must be seen to take sides.
I agree that it is imperative that the truth must out as quickly as possible, I do not believe that a slanging war is the best way to do it. We have already seen how headlines are being used to distort the truth, flinging mud will not help that.
I am all in favour of honing anger, I am, ideologically at least, an anarchist, but it must be used correctly. By turning it into a matter that is about political ideology rather than human tragedy we are repeating the mistakes of Hillsborough. The people responsible were able to slip away from that scene as the media and politicians squabbled. 
We need to learn from those days and, so it would seem, that Corbyn has. We need to empathise with those who have suffered, get clear and proper answers as to why there has been such a deliberate breach of safety law and why nothing has been done since that previous fire. 
Just pointing fingers and shouting is the equivalent of banging your head off a wall, it shows passion and emotion but achieves absolutely nothing. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 2:33pm

There is no narrative, this isn't a boxset and that is precisely the problem. It is almost as if that as soon as there is a tragedy we must be seen to take sides.
I agree that it is imperative that the truth must out as quickly as possible, I do not believe that a slanging war is the best way to do it. We have already seen how headlines are being used to distort the truth, flinging mud will not help that.
I am all in favour of honing anger, I am, ideologically at least, an anarchist, but it must be used correctly. By turning it into a matter that is about political ideology rather than human tragedy we are repeating the mistakes of Hillsborough. The people responsible were able to slip away from that scene as the media and politicians squabbled. 
We need to learn from those days and, so it would seem, that Corbyn has. We need to empathise with those who have suffered, get clear and proper answers as to why there has been such a deliberate breach of safety law and why nothing has been done since that previous fire. 
Just pointing fingers and shouting is the equivalent of banging your head off a wall, it shows passion and emotion but achieves absolutely nothing. 

The anger is because people know the truth here. 

They knew the truth after Hillsborough too. Only one side turned Hillsborough into a matter of political ideology and it wasn't the victims or their families and friends or the people of Liverpool. They had truth on their side. The liars only had lies to protect a political ideology.

The anger now is because people know political ideology has not just contributed but effectively caused these people's deaths. 

Anger now creates a force where there is no alternative but for the truth to come out.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 2:59pm

The anger is because people know the truth here. 

They knew the truth after Hillsborough too. Only one side turned Hillsborough into a matter of political ideology and it wasn't the victims or their families and friends or the people of Liverpool. They had truth on their side. The liars only had lies to protect a political ideology.

The anger now is because people know political ideology has not just contributed but effectively caused these people's deaths. 

Anger now creates a force where there is no alternative but for the truth to come out.

Really? Because I am seeing it from all sides, including yourself. Which is exactly what those responsible want to happen.
It is a f**king disgrace.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 3:49pm
A crime is what it is, pure and simple. Unlawful deaths as in Hillsborough.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 3:55pm
It's all turning into one big political mess now.

Kensington is a very fragile issue for politicians as there's a massive rich/poor divide in the community. 
The poor have been displaced and there's private luxury homes just sat being un-used as, either as For Sale or because the Uni season is over, meanwhile less than 10 miles away you have members of the Royal Family living in a £5 million mansion.

It's that much of a political thing, even The Queen is involved - She stayed AWOL during the Aberfan disaster, and then again during the Princess Diana crash, which led to a high % of people questioning what even is the point in a British Monarchy, and Theresa May failing to do her bit gave The Queen no option but to show her face - I imagine Lizzie is pretty pissed at May, history shows you need to show your face otherwise you're lamb to the slaughter, even The Royals are not immune to it.
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 5:21pm
Their are no shortage of negligent and corrupt councils in the UK and not all are Tory. Kensington will rightly get roasted for this as the tower was flagged as a risk repeatedly.

I wonder how many other council blocks this company "kitted" out across London. There are many similar towers to Grenfell that no doubt have the same internal design and only one stairs to escape in the event of fire.   

Lets see what the investigation returns, hopefully it prevents this happening again. Perhaps it turns out to be simply a tragic accident. If the external cladding was certified as being safe to use perhaps it was just simply a mistake. 

PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 5:53pm
If the cladding wasn't FR there should be someone jailed. Seen reports that it wasn't. May coming under increasing pressure for her response to the fire. Amazing she is still PM after the last couple of weeks.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by d13dave d13dave wrote:

If the external cladding was certified as being safe to use perhaps it was just simply a mistake. 

Or that the regulations were an utter joke. 

I've no doubt this cladding was certified as "safe". 

That's the whole point. The regulations are a joke. Just like in the financial industry. That's what happens when business captures government.

Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 9:11pm
According to the press here the cladding is banned for use in the US and many EU nations once over the height of 12m. Apparently the UK have much easier rules and thus this was exploited for cost saving purposes. They reckon the difference for the entire building renovation was around 6k saved...
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Grubar View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 10:34pm
Scandalous!...The cost of the cosmetic job probably exceeded what the cost of installation of a sprinkler system would've been.The political and social effects of this could play out the same as the German bombing of the East End...it has shone a light on the Dickensian treatment of the weak in society.You would never have believed that the building didn't have a sprinkler system
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 10:39am
85,000 fire safety audits in the UK in 2010.
63,000 last year. 

Years of Tory ministers sitting on and suppressing reports and stonewalling fire safety chiefs.

Philip Hammond on Andrew Marr this morning saying that sprinkler systems may not be the best way to make buildings safer. "It's a technical matter and I'm not a technical expert."

Number of people who have died in UK fires in buildings with sprinkler systems installed: 0 (says the Fire Brigades Union).

The Tory Kensington Council running years of surpluses and having 42 million pounds in cash reserves. What did they do? They sent out a cheque for £100 to everybody in the borough (as long as you weren't a council tenant). 

Scumbags.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic