Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=55405
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 12:25am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: London Tower Block fire
Posted By: Denis Irwin
Subject: London Tower Block fire
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 7:56am
http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/britain/fatalities-confirmed-as-crews-battle-unprecedented-blaze-at-high-rise-london-tower-block-35824224.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/britain/fatalities-confirmed-as-crews-battle-unprecedented-blaze-at-high-rise-london-tower-block-35824224.html

Number of fatalities and 30 injured in hospital

Pictures are fookin terrifying. 200 firefighters and 40 fire engines were at the scene.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Replies:
Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 8:00am
Horrible horrible scenes. I just passed ravenscourt park on the district line and could see the smoke billowing from the building a few miles away. I just hope it was quick and painless for the victims.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 8:28am
jesus thats absolutely frightening... Some inferno

Posted By: randyrandolph
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 9:21am
spent half the night watching the f00ker burn. never seen anything like it before. there is going to be a horrific casualty list from this. 

the block has 400-500 people, probably a load more not registered too and no alarm went off by all accounts. 

Posted By: d13dave
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 10:21am
its horrible and really scary.

up there with being knifed to death with a vile way to go.

seems it spread upwards via the external cladding

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 10:43am
there will be a few nervous people over at the KCTMO (Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation) today...

http://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/kctmo-playing-with-fire/" rel="nofollow - http://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/kctmo-playing-with-fire/

The Grenfell Action Group predict that it won’t be long before the words of this blog come back to haunt the KCTMO management and we will do everything in our power to ensure that those in authority know how long and how appallingly our landlord has ignored their responsibility to ensure the heath and safety of their tenants and leaseholders. They can’t say that they haven’t been warned!

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 10:48am
Some serious questions will be asked in time - Hard to imagine how something like this can happen in this day and age.
In the meantime, you're heart has to go out to all of those affected by this. 

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Some serious questions will be asked in time - Hard to imagine how something like this can happen in this day and age.
In the meantime, you're heart has to go out to all of those affected by this. 

Big time. How did the fire spread throughout the building so quickly? Apparently it was only renovated last year - they spent millions doing it up. Very sad situation in any event.

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 11:12am
Shocking incident. Dread to think of the number of casualties

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 11:13am
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/theresa-mays-chief-staff-sat-10620357" rel="nofollow - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/theresa-mays-chief-staff-sat-10620357

Sadly not surprising

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 11:22am
6 fatalities confirmed by the Met. Met expect it to rise further

-------------

Posted By: Darraghn92
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 11:49am

Labour tried to pass a law last year that would require landlords to make their properties safe and fit for human habitation, but it was rejected by the Tories by 312 votes to 219. Funny enough (not really), 72 of those Tory MPs who rejected it were landlords..

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tories-vote-down-law-requiring-landlords-make-their-homes-fit-for-human-habitation-a6809691.html%20" rel="nofollow - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tories-vote-down-law-requiring-landlords-make-their-homes-fit-for-human-habitation-a6809691.html

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 12:28pm
There is a quote from the residents association where he said 90% of the residents signed a petition wanting an inquiry into how the building was been run, but the council turned it down. 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 9:52pm
Absolutely horrible scenes, they will be doing well if the fatalities are below treble figures, and it will be months before some are identified. It does seem various levels of officialdom right up to the government have a lot to answer for here. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 1:40pm
May visited the scene and only met with the officals and firefighters. Corbyn visited a few hours later a met with everyone locals,officials,firefighters etc.. showing May up once again

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

May visited the scene and only met with the officals and firefighters. Corbyn visited a few hours later a met with everyone locals,officials,firefighters etc.. showing May up once again

may is fully aware that a whole world of sh1t is going to open up over this, especially once the actual casualty figure comes out which could easily be over 100. i would expect to see massive public anger on the streets.

72 tory mps voted AGAINST a motion last year to make all homes "fit for human habitation" - many of whom were landlords. they are up to the necks in this. 

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 1:46pm

I always feel uncomfortable making something like this political, even if their appears to be some government responsibility. Not that I am saying Corbyn or May are, I just get the feeling the media are and I find it distasteful, especially when the death toll is still rising and will continue to do so.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 1:49pm
I don't think neither are and I don't think the Press would/should have to make a deal of it,surely to f**k her PR team could see the bad optics of her not meeting locals when it's a given that Corbyn is likely to

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 1:58pm

I don't think neither are and I don't think the Press would/should have to make a deal of it,surely to f**k her PR team could see the bad optics of her not meeting locals when it's a given that Corbyn is likely to
I understand the press have a duty to find out what happened, but their timing is what I find distasteful. I mean I would be of the opinion, just from looking at what we know, that this was either massive incompetence or someone on the take, but I don't think finding out right now is going to help anyone at all. Unfortunately, finding out in a month's time won't sell newspapers. There does seem to be an opportunity being taken by same to mention the government's failing in this department. Again, I would wait until the dust has settled, if you forgive the unintentional pun for want of a better word, and find out exactly why it happened.
It is just the way everything is reported these days, yesterday ITV had us staring at a man fearing for his life as the nation munched their granola. I find it all very sinister to be honest.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 2:08pm
I'd agree with PM the politcal scoring is not for now. 

Some of the stories are horrible. A statement from the fire brigade about been worried for the mental health of the people working at the blaze as what they saw and heard, they'd have never expected to have to deal with. 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 4:51pm
Like so many other real disasters, the failed gospel of "light-touch regulation" is at the heart of this one. 

"Health and safety" are words which have been consistently demonised by pro-business media and politicians. "Red tape" is another classic of the genre. 

When health and safety fails due to "light touch regulation", this is the result. 

Changes usually only come about due to real disasters like this.

The outcome of this will be Hillsborough-like and the reasons why it occurred are even worse than Hillsborough.

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I understand the press have a duty to find out what happened, but their timing is what I find distasteful. I mean I would be of the opinion, just from looking at what we know, that this was either massive incompetence or someone on the take, but I don't think finding out right now is going to help anyone at all. Unfortunately, finding out in a month's time won't sell newspapers. There does seem to be an opportunity being taken by same to mention the government's failing in this department. Again, I would wait until the dust has settled, if you forgive the unintentional pun for want of a better word, and find out exactly why it happened.
It is just the way everything is reported these days, yesterday ITV had us staring at a man fearing for his life as the nation munched their granola. I find it all very sinister to be honest.

I totally disagree. This is as political as a matter can get. It's as glaring an example as there will ever be as to how negligent political decisions affect and destroy lives.

Shock and anger, and the weight of it, are often the only way things can change to benefit real people, or at least prevent similar further tragedy.

The voices that matter now are the voices of the victims. Anybody who has listened to the voices of the victims cannot help but get angry. The media has a duty to amplify these voices.

Tony Barrett sums it up better than I could. 

https://www.joe.co.uk/news/why-it-is-vital-to-amplify-the-distraught-voices-of-grenfell-tower-residents-who-were-ignored-for-too-long-129580" rel="nofollow - https://www.joe.co.uk/news/why-it-is-vital-to-amplify-the-distraught-voices-of-grenfell-tower-residents-who-were-ignored-for-too-long-129580

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 6:02pm
Met Police Commander in charge hoping the final death toll won't reach triple figures

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

I totally disagree. This is as political as a matter can get. It's as glaring an example as there will ever be as to how negligent political decisions affect and destroy lives.

Shock and anger, and the weight of it, are often the only way things can change to benefit real people, or at least prevent similar further tragedy.

The voices that matter now are the voices of the victims. Anybody who has listened to the voices of the victims cannot help but get angry. The media has a duty to amplify these voices.

https://www.joe.co.uk/news/why-it-is-vital-to-amplify-the-distraught-voices-of-grenfell-tower-residents-who-were-ignored-for-too-long-129580" rel="nofollow - https://www.joe.co.uk/news/why-it-is-vital-to-amplify-the-distraught-voices-of-grenfell-tower-residents-who-were-ignored-for-too-long-129580
I never, ever said it wasn't. Just showing a bit of respect for those connected to it seems to be too much to ask of the media.
They aren't amplifying concerns, they are selling papers. I have seen articles that have tried to make a political football of it when they are still totting up the dead. When the dust has settled then yes, whoever is responsible must be brought to justice and everything must be done to prevent future catastrophes from happening, how it is being covered now, like everything else in this world, is nothing short of disgusting.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 7:01pm

I never, ever said it wasn't. Just showing a bit of respect for those connected to it seems to be too much to ask of the media.
They aren't amplifying concerns, they are selling papers. I have seen articles that have tried to make a political football of it when they are still totting up the dead. When the dust has settled then yes, whoever is responsible must be brought to justice and everything must be done to prevent future catastrophes from happening, how it is being covered now, like everything else in this world, is nothing short of disgusting.

I'm not talking about the Daily Mail whose most noteworthy contribution in the aftermath of this has been to name they guy whose flat the fire apparently started in, I don't think we don't even know that yet for sure. 

BBC News, ITV News, Channel 4 News etc, reputable newspapers, these sources now have a duty to give a voice to the victims. 

From what I've seen so far they appear to be doing that, to be fair. 

Sadiq Khan went to the scene today and took criticism in a public manner. He at least went there and took it. 

It was the least May could have done. I'd have had more respect for her if she'd gone there and accepted that criticism. 

Show a bit of leadership and accept some public criticism rather than hiding away. 

-------------

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 7:04pm
A lot of talk about the recent cladding added to the outside of the building.
Remember I saw an Aircrash Investigation about a fire on a plane.
So called fire proof material was tested by holding a flame to it for a few minutes, and was passed as being safe.
When a plane crashed and tonnes of jet fuel burnt for half an hour the fire proof material went up like fire lighters, their excuse was that they didn't anticipate the length of time that the fire proof material could be subjected to extraordinary heat for that amount of time.
You couldn't make this sh*t up.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 7:05pm
Yesterday morning ITV had a camera zoomed in on a man trapped inside the building. If ITV is a reputable news source then we may as well stop the world, I want off.

At the moment we, the public, have nothing to criticise as we don't know what happened, it is important that we find out.

-------------

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 8:11pm
I disagree it's about political point scoring, the area had just elected a Labour MP with a very high risk of another Election, ofcourse he had to be there alongside the local MP otherwise the residents would just revolt thinking they've been abandoned.

On the other hand, May had no right being there, why show your face then announce a public inquiry? Could of announced it without showing her face? I find this new public image she's trying portray, doing Waves at Int. Football matches etc very fake and thankfully people aren't buying it, at this rate she'll be turning up to an armed standoff with a fishing rod and some chicken next.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

A lot of talk about the recent cladding added to the outside of the building.
Remember I saw an Aircrash Investigation about a fire on a plane.
So called fire proof material was tested by holding a flame to it for a few minutes, and was passed as being safe.
When a plane crashed and tonnes of jet fuel burnt for half an hour the fire proof material went up like fire lighters, their excuse was that they didn't anticipate the length of time that the fire proof material could be subjected to extraordinary heat for that amount of time.
You couldn't make this sh*t up.

Link for this?

Plane safety is heavily regulated, so this sounds very dubious.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I disagree it's about political point scoring, the area had just elected a Labour MP with a very high risk of another Election, ofcourse he had to be there alongside the local MP otherwise the residents would just revolt thinking they've been abandoned.

On the other hand, May had no right being there, why show your face then announce a public inquiry? Could of announced it without showing her face? I find this new public image she's trying portray, doing Waves at Int. Football matches etc very fake and thankfully people aren't buying it, at this rate she'll be turning up to an armed standoff with a fishing rod and some chicken next.
I think I have to clarify what I meant here as a few people seem to be taking me up the wrong way.
I fully expect local political figures and major party leaders to turn up to the scene when there is an event like this. It is what is expected.
My problem is reactions like above which suggests that May turning up out of duty is wrong and connected to the enquiry. She may well turn out to be in someway culpable, but even so it was her duty as PM to be there. This was a major tragedy in her capital city. 
 Likewise Khan,  Corbyn or whoever else wants to go. I don't see that as political point-scoring, in fact I think the politicians, on all sides, have dealt with the matter well.
It is the media, largely the tabloids as usual( but not exclusively), who have started pointing figures and accusing people when questions haven't even been asked yet. I think the media should be talking to the people on the ground there and reporting the story. To be apportioning blame when bodies are still being counted and for the media to be tagging it onto the election is disgusting.

There is no doubt that when the questions have been asked that this will be a political issue, just about everything is. Given that money had been spent to prevent this sort of incident from happening then this couldn't but be a political issue. My problem is with the timing, leave these people come to terms with what happened and while emotions are high calm heads are to be called for.
The politicians are, by and large, avoiding using this for point-scoring and I wish the media would stop trying do it for them.

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 8:39pm
Only caught a glimpse but thought Channel 4's Jon Snow (as always) was very good when he was on the scene and empathising with survivors/family members who live in the tower.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 10:24pm
The people on the ground seem pretty unanimous in their view. 

The victims of this are working class people who the elites don't give a sh*t about. Just like Hillsborough. 

This could have been prevented had authorities given a sh*t. I mainly blame the Tories and their failed gospel of "light touch regulation" which turns everything it touches to shlt, but the previous Labour government are guilty too. 

The local Tory council don't appear to have given a shlt either. They're probably happy that they can now demolish the building and flog the land for a megabucks gentrification scheme.

There is no way possible that building and fire regulations were remotely up to scratch here.

Flammable materials used as cladding, no sprinkler system, no proper fire alarm, fire safety instructions given to residents that in many cases condemned them to their deaths. A fooking death trap if ever there was one. And how many other tower blocks all over the UK are similar death traps? 

These people "didn't matter" and that's the culture that prevails. 

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 10:50pm
Little bit harsh on the Tories Sid as there'll probably be a miniscule Tory demographic in that tower that'll vote for them but if you're going to be negligent on fire regulations, then at least it'll be probable Corbynites or anyone but the tories voters who'll go up in flames.

Every cloud has a silver lining and all that

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 11:17pm
Find it strange how everyone locally is gunning for Sadiq Khan, if there's anyone they should have the pitchforks out for is the person who was Mayor when all the refurbishments were so-called regulations were checked... That would be Boris.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:31am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Little bit harsh on the Tories Sid as there'll probably be a miniscule Tory demographic in that tower that'll vote for them but if you're going to be negligent on fire regulations, then at least it'll be probable Corbynites or anyone but the tories voters who'll go up in flames.

Well, put it this way - that's Labour's majority in Kensington literally gone up in smoke. 

-------------

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:38am

Find it strange how everyone locally is gunning for Sadiq Khan, if there's anyone they should have the pitchforks out for is the person who was Mayor when all the refurbishments were so-called regulations were checked... That would be Boris.

You can't blame the Mayor for everything. It's whoever was on the fire safety committee is to blame.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 1:16am

Well, put it this way - that's Labour's majority in Kensington literally gone up in smoke. 

Eh? Confused

After May's attitude today? Literally fobbed off the residents for a photo opportunity next to a tragedy? After the Tory council let this as you call death trap happen? 

If the new MP gets the re-housing right, if anything it'll significantly increase.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 3:01am

Eh? Confused

After May's attitude today? Literally fobbed off the residents for a photo opportunity next to a tragedy? After the Tory council let this as you call death trap happen? 

If the new MP gets the re-housing right, if anything it'll significantly increase.
Yes, I think there's a good chance that will happen now, certainly if the election is in the near future. 

My point was that Labour have a majority of 20 in Kensington, and I highly imagine there were more than 20 more Labour voters than Tory voters in Grenfell Tower.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 9:06am

The Express doesn't let the fact that this cladding is banned in Germany get in the way of using this tragedy for an Anti EU Rant.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 9:43am
Is it true that the bulk of the refurbishment that was carried out last year was to improve the aesthetics of the building from the outside? I.E so it wasn't such an 'eye sore' to the rest of Kensington? If it transpires that this same external cladding that was added at that point was the main cause of the fire spreading so quickly then the entire optics of this horrible tragedy become even more terrible.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 9:50am
Also banned in the US. You know there's questions to answer when even the Americans think that cladding is too dangerous to be used

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Is it true that the bulk of the refurbishment that was carried out last year was to improve the aesthetics of the building from the outside? I.E so it wasn't such an 'eye sore' to the rest of Kensington? If it transpires that this same external cladding that was added at that point was the main cause of the fire spreading so quickly then the entire optics of this horrible tragedy become even more terrible.

The conditions and reasons for the imposition of the cladding, according to the planning report, was 'to accord with the development plan by ensuring that the character and appearance of the area are preserved and living conditions of those living near the development suitably protected'. And also says 'The changes to the existing tower will improve its appearance especially when viewed from the surrounding area (the adjacent Avondale Conservation Area to the south and the Ladbroke Conservation Area to the east).

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 10:01am
The Sun going into full Hillsborough mode as well

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 10:49am

The Express doesn't let the fact that this cladding is banned in Germany get in the way of using this tragedy for an Anti EU Rant.
Exactly what I was talking about, while people discuss the political position of dead people. Stop the world.........

-------------

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 11:08am
You've got it spot on PM. Sadly, I think this is now the world we live in where partisan politics becomes the go to position for people in the wake of a tragedy like this. The numbers of lives lost has not even been ascertained and social media and the general
Media have been all over every single political aspect of this, while people have not even been located let alone identified.

This is an unbelievably sad, appalling and horrific tragedy which necessitates full public scrutiny, oversight and deliberation. However, the focus ought to be on the victims and the irreparable damage that has come into their lives.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 11:13am
May to visit the injured in hospital. Think they've realised how much of an error it was yesterday for her not to meet with the residents

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

You've got it spot on PM. Sadly, I think this is now the world we live in where partisan politics becomes the go to position for people in the wake of a tragedy like this. The numbers of lives lost has not even been ascertained and social media and the general
Media have been all over every single political aspect of this, while people have not even been located let alone identified.

This is an unbelievably sad, appalling and horrific tragedy which necessitates full public scrutiny, oversight and deliberation. However, the focus ought to be on the victims and the irreparable damage that has come into their lives.
The funny thing is, I don't think I could be any more partisan, I won't even talk to a Tory unless I am getting paid for it, but sometimes those beliefs  become less important. How can the media be allowed to look for a political angle? The immediate response has been to run with a narrative that suits their editorial agenda and in doing so have desensitised a nation into thinking like this kind of discourse is ok!
We all know that someone is to blame here, be it incompetence or worse and I am sure I don't need to give my own views in how this came to pass. DI called it spot on, there are huge similarities to how Hillsborough was covered, which means it obviously isn't a new thing.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 11:57am
Lizzie and William have visited the scene. So that's May's security concerns claim out the window. She's coming out of this worse and worse by the hour

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:15pm
Commons leader Andrea Leadsom went out. It wouldn't be like May to send someone else out to when the going gets tough, all the while she was on the phone to her friends in Saudi Arabia and Qatar

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:22pm
This IS political. 

It's as political as it gets. 

It's about how "health and safety" has been demonised. It's about how"red tape", "nanny state" and "unnecessary regulations" (all deliberately pejorative phrases) have been demonised. 

It's about how "light touch regulation" (a "positive" phrase) has been treated as gospel. Criminally negligent regulation is a far more accurate phrase.

It's about how working class people, immigrants, the poor, the unemployed and the disabled (a disabled 70 year woman living on the 23rd floor, anyone?) have been demonised and not listened to.

I really don't get how some people are having a hard time understanding that. 

And we all know which party and which section of the media takes by far the lion's share of the blame for that.

They created the culture where this sort of thing and Hillsborough are allowed to happen.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:34pm

This IS political. 

It's about how "health and safety" has been demonised. It's about how"red tape", "nanny state" and "unnecessary regulations" (all deliberately pejorative phrases) have been demonised. 

It's about how "light touch regulation" (a "positive" phrase) has been treated as gospel. Criminally negligent regulation is a far more accurate phrase.

It's about how working class people, immigrants, the poor, the unemployed and the disabled (a disabled 70 year woman living on the 23rd floor, anyone?) have been demonised and not listened to.

And we all know which party and which section of the media takes by far the lion's share of the blame for that.

They created the culture where this sort of thing and Hillsborough are allowed to happen.

Of course it is, but there is a time and a place to politicise it! That is the point.

I actually think that by immediately politicising it, before the death count has even been finalised, you are fuelling the belief that these people's lives are unimportant. Much like Hillsborough, something Britain appears to have learnt nothing from.
By politicising the deaths of people you, and so many more in the media, are dehumanising them. 
So, when the next tragedy comes around, caused by reasons we both know, we end up with two sides of the media flinging faeces at each other while people mourn and questions that should have been asked, or even were asked, get lost in the maelstrom of sh*t.

-------------

Posted By: BigPodge
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:38pm
30 confirmed deaths now Cry

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:41pm

This IS political. 

Of course it is, but there is a time and a place to politicise it! That is the point.

I actually think that by immediately politicising it, before the death count has even been finalised, you are fuelling the belief that these people's lives are unimportant. Much like Hillsborough, something Britain appears to have learnt nothing from.
By politicising the deaths of people you, and so many more in the media, are dehumanising them. 
So, when the next tragedy comes around, caused by reasons we both know, we end up with two sides of the media flinging faeces at each other while people mourn and questions that should have been asked, or even were asked, get lost in the maelstrom of sh*t.

The time to politicise this political issue is NOW. 

By saying that "it shouldn't be politicised", you are running away from reality and letting the people and the political and media culture responsible off the hook.

Believe me, those responsible for the neglect, and the political culture of demonisation of poor people, will look to push this back on the victims, just like at Hillsborough. 

They already are.

Look at this from the scumbag Tory leader of Kensington and Chelsea Council. 

"The dead can't talk back, so let's blame them" is the strategy.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

It will, unfortunately, be a lot higher. f**ked if I would be a fireman this week. I saw a crowdfunding page to raise money for a drinking session for them, if anybody ever deserved a pint it is those lads. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:45pm

Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

It will, unfortunately, be a lot higher. f**ked if I would be a fireman this week. I saw a crowdfunding page to raise money for a drinking session for them, if anybody ever deserved a pint it is those lads. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:45pm
Here's a list of how Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation neglected the nearby Adair Tower. It also had a fire in October 2015.

http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/notice_detail.asp?id=272412%20" rel="nofollow - http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/notice_detail.asp?id=272412

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:46pm
Was talking to a mate last night who works at the Chelsea & Westminster hospital. He was saying they've been involved in the aftermath of both Terror events in London this year and the Grenfell Tower fire. Has to be tough on all of the staff there. He said this week was particularly traumatic for staff given the stories of those involved. Hope they get the support needed after this also, as well as those directly affected. 

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:48pm

This IS political. 

The time to politicise this political issue is NOW. 

By saying that "it shouldn't be politicised", you are running away from reality and letting the people and the political and media culture responsible off the hook.

Believe me, those responsible for the neglect, and the political culture of demonisation of poor people, will look to push this back on the victims, just like at Hillsborough. 

They already are.

Look at this from the scumbag Tory leader of Kensington and Chelsea Council. 

"The dead can't talk back, so let's blame them" is the strategy.

Which is what was done at Hillsborough, and we ended it up with everybody shouting over each other and the truth being ignored.
Let the people grieve.
The funny thing is, the reason Corbyn is getting political sympathy out of this is because he is doing just that. 
I also think you are 'letting them off the hook' far more by letting them to get excuses in before the truth, blurring the lines. The sensible thing to do is stand back, but sense isn't common. We need to dramatise every single thing, everything is a television show.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:48pm
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/16/sun-journalist-grenfell-tower-victim-hospital" rel="nofollow - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/16/sun-journalist-grenfell-tower-victim-hospital

Scum absolutely vile scum

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 1:44pm
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/16/manufacturer-of-cladding-on-grenfell-tower-identified-as-omnis-exteriors" rel="nofollow - http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/16/manufacturer-of-cladding-on-grenfell-tower-identified-as-omnis-exteriors

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 1:49pm

Which is what was done at Hillsborough, and we ended it up with everybody shouting over each other and the truth being ignored.
Let the people grieve.
The funny thing is, the reason Corbyn is getting political sympathy out of this is because he is doing just that. 
I also think you are 'letting them off the hook' far more by letting them to get excuses in before the truth, blurring the lines. The sensible thing to do is stand back, but sense isn't common. We need to dramatise every single thing, everything is a television show.
What happens after a disaster of this nature is that the Tories immediately go into not just damage limitation mode, but on the offensive and attempt to turn the blame back on the victims. 

They are trying to do this right now. 

They were allowed do it straight after Hillsborough and they must not be allowed do it again. 

We know at least three things for sure.

i) The cladding was a fire hazard. 
ii) There was no sprinkler system. 
iii) The fire alarm didn't work. 

So we know the building was unsafe, and we know the safety regulations were completely inadequate. 

We know other things too. We know a local Labour councillor made 9 official complaints on behalf of the residents of Grenfell Tower. She was told that "these people should be truly grateful for all the money that is being spent on them". 

We know that a blog post was written last November specifically predicting what has just happened.

And it's not just a case of sitting back and waiting for the results of an inquiry, because the likelihood is that there are many hundreds of other tower blocks which are similar fire hazards, and people have to live in them right now, and they have to sleep in them tonight.

Eight years ago there was a fire in London which killed six people, which was accelerated by cladding which was a fire hazard. 

That's eight years ago. 

I guess the narrative then was to sit back calmly and respectfully and wait for the results of the inquiry too. And precisely nothing was done.

Only anger will change things in this case and the more of it the better.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 2:03pm
There is no narrative, this isn't a boxset and that is precisely the problem. It is almost as if that as soon as there is a tragedy we must be seen to take sides.
I agree that it is imperative that the truth must out as quickly as possible, I do not believe that a slanging war is the best way to do it. We have already seen how headlines are being used to distort the truth, flinging mud will not help that.
I am all in favour of honing anger, I am, ideologically at least, an anarchist, but it must be used correctly. By turning it into a matter that is about political ideology rather than human tragedy we are repeating the mistakes of Hillsborough. The people responsible were able to slip away from that scene as the media and politicians squabbled. 
We need to learn from those days and, so it would seem, that Corbyn has. We need to empathise with those who have suffered, get clear and proper answers as to why there has been such a deliberate breach of safety law and why nothing has been done since that previous fire. 
Just pointing fingers and shouting is the equivalent of banging your head off a wall, it shows passion and emotion but achieves absolutely nothing. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 2:33pm

There is no narrative, this isn't a boxset and that is precisely the problem. It is almost as if that as soon as there is a tragedy we must be seen to take sides.
I agree that it is imperative that the truth must out as quickly as possible, I do not believe that a slanging war is the best way to do it. We have already seen how headlines are being used to distort the truth, flinging mud will not help that.
I am all in favour of honing anger, I am, ideologically at least, an anarchist, but it must be used correctly. By turning it into a matter that is about political ideology rather than human tragedy we are repeating the mistakes of Hillsborough. The people responsible were able to slip away from that scene as the media and politicians squabbled. 
We need to learn from those days and, so it would seem, that Corbyn has. We need to empathise with those who have suffered, get clear and proper answers as to why there has been such a deliberate breach of safety law and why nothing has been done since that previous fire. 
Just pointing fingers and shouting is the equivalent of banging your head off a wall, it shows passion and emotion but achieves absolutely nothing. 

The anger is because people know the truth here. 

They knew the truth after Hillsborough too. Only one side turned Hillsborough into a matter of political ideology and it wasn't the victims or their families and friends or the people of Liverpool. They had truth on their side. The liars only had lies to protect a political ideology.

The anger now is because people know political ideology has not just contributed but effectively caused these people's deaths. 

Anger now creates a force where there is no alternative but for the truth to come out.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 2:59pm

The anger is because people know the truth here. 

They knew the truth after Hillsborough too. Only one side turned Hillsborough into a matter of political ideology and it wasn't the victims or their families and friends or the people of Liverpool. They had truth on their side. The liars only had lies to protect a political ideology.

The anger now is because people know political ideology has not just contributed but effectively caused these people's deaths. 

Anger now creates a force where there is no alternative but for the truth to come out.

Really? Because I am seeing it from all sides, including yourself. Which is exactly what those responsible want to happen.
It is a f**king disgrace.

-------------

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 3:49pm
A crime is what it is, pure and simple. Unlawful deaths as in Hillsborough.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 3:55pm
It's all turning into one big political mess now.

Kensington is a very fragile issue for politicians as there's a massive rich/poor divide in the community. 
The poor have been displaced and there's private luxury homes just sat being un-used as, either as For Sale or because the Uni season is over, meanwhile less than 10 miles away you have members of the Royal Family living in a £5 million mansion.

It's that much of a political thing, even The Queen is involved - She stayed AWOL during the Aberfan disaster, and then again during the Princess Diana crash, which led to a high % of people questioning what even is the point in a British Monarchy, and Theresa May failing to do her bit gave The Queen no option but to show her face - I imagine Lizzie is pretty pissed at May, history shows you need to show your face otherwise you're lamb to the slaughter, even The Royals are not immune to it.

Posted By: d13dave
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 5:21pm
Their are no shortage of negligent and corrupt councils in the UK and not all are Tory. Kensington will rightly get roasted for this as the tower was flagged as a risk repeatedly.

I wonder how many other council blocks this company "kitted" out across London. There are many similar towers to Grenfell that no doubt have the same internal design and only one stairs to escape in the event of fire.   

Lets see what the investigation returns, hopefully it prevents this happening again. Perhaps it turns out to be simply a tragic accident. If the external cladding was certified as being safe to use perhaps it was just simply a mistake. 

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 5:53pm
If the cladding wasn't FR there should be someone jailed. Seen reports that it wasn't. May coming under increasing pressure for her response to the fire. Amazing she is still PM after the last couple of weeks.

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by d13dave d13dave wrote:

If the external cladding was certified as being safe to use perhaps it was just simply a mistake. 

Or that the regulations were an utter joke. 

I've no doubt this cladding was certified as "safe". 

That's the whole point. The regulations are a joke. Just like in the financial industry. That's what happens when business captures government.

-------------

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 9:11pm
According to the press here the cladding is banned for use in the US and many EU nations once over the height of 12m. Apparently the UK have much easier rules and thus this was exploited for cost saving purposes. They reckon the difference for the entire building renovation was around 6k saved...

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Posted By: Grubar
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 10:34pm
Scandalous!...The cost of the cosmetic job probably exceeded what the cost of installation of a sprinkler system would've been.The political and social effects of this could play out the same as the German bombing of the East End...it has shone a light on the Dickensian treatment of the weak in society.You would never have believed that the building didn't have a sprinkler system

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 10:39am
85,000 fire safety audits in the UK in 2010.
63,000 last year. 

Years of Tory ministers sitting on and suppressing reports and stonewalling fire safety chiefs.

Philip Hammond on Andrew Marr this morning saying that sprinkler systems may not be the best way to make buildings safer. "It's a technical matter and I'm not a technical expert."

Number of people who have died in UK fires in buildings with sprinkler systems installed: 0 (says the Fire Brigades Union).

The Tory Kensington Council running years of surpluses and having 42 million pounds in cash reserves. What did they do? They sent out a cheque for £100 to everybody in the borough (as long as you weren't a council tenant). 

Scumbags.

-------------

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 12:35pm
Sprinklers are considerablly expensive to install as well to maintain

The money may be better spent having full fire detection coverage either fixed temperature heat detectors or rapid rise heat detectors to alleviate somebody burning toast and emptying the building

If everybody is out of the building the fire brigade don't give a monkeys about the property ( quite rightly )

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 6:49pm
Everyone who lived there is to get just £5500 to rebuild their lives from tomorrow.

Anyone know of any houses which cost around £5k in London? 5k doesnt even get you 6 months rent

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 7:02pm

Everyone who lived there is to get just £5500 to rebuild their lives from tomorrow.

Anyone know of any houses which cost around £5k in London? 5k doesnt even get you 6 months rent

Rent in the tower was 2k a month for 2 beds.

-------------

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 9:14am

Shocked
They could afford 2k per month rent but wouldn't spend a fiver on a smoke alarm ?

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: bhob
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 9:16am
Don't think a smoke alarm would have helped many of them.

The fire spread from the 8th floor to the 18th in about 7 minutes.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Shocked
They could afford 2k per month rent but wouldn't spend a fiver on a smoke alarm ?

I know that is probably an attempt at humour but nobody said they could afford 2k, most people in London can't really afford their rent. It is a massive issue there.
As Bhob said, a smoke alarm would have been f**k all use to them.

-------------

Posted By: daboi89
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 1:54pm
read on the paper on the tube this morning that several of the missing are now believed to be ok

and have not come to the authorities as they shouldnt have been in england in the first place

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 1:56pm
Everyone should watch BBC's Panorama from last night. Only 30 mins long but up there with 1 of the best docs the BBC have put out, and they do great docs.

You'll be pretty horrified at some of the things they find, specifically Kensington Council.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by daboi89 daboi89 wrote:

read on the paper on the tube this morning that several of the missing are now believed to be ok

and have not come to the authorities as they shouldnt have been in england in the first place

Were you reading the Daily Mail? Tongue

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:14pm

My money is on it being The Metro. 

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

My money is on it being The Metro. 
Same ****s.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 3:12pm
So firefighters put out the fridge fire but never noticed it had spread to the exterior of the building because it wasn't​ expected to be made of materials that would ignite. Further, the telegraph report leaked government docs show minister after minister had been warned of the dangers of this type of cladding and time and time again they swatted it away. Scandalous!

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

So firefighters put out the fridge fire but never noticed it had spread to the exterior of the building because it wasn't​ expected to be made of materials that would ignite. Further, the telegraph report leaked government docs show minister after minister had been warned of the dangers of this type of cladding and time and time again they swatted it away. Scandalous!

Did you watch Panorama? The Greenfell Tower Group segment and the Kensington Council Leader were hard to watch. 

Furthermore, it's being revealed today that if survivors refuse to move to other parts of the country then they will be classed as 'Intentionally homeless' which in the law states the council don't need to assist them if they have that status. Dead

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 1:36pm
That Paget-Brown is some ****, a complete disgrace.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 2:19pm

I have more respect for Mr. Paget-Brown than I do for other Tories. 

He's an utter, utter coont of a man but at least he's honest and up front about it. He's authentic. You know what you're dealing with. 

Whereas the rest of the Tories are exactly the same as he is but they try to hide it.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 3:17pm

He's an utter, utter coont of a man but at least he's honest and up front about it. He's authentic. You know what you're dealing with. 

Whereas the rest of the Tories are exactly the same as he is but they try to hide it.
I can empathise with that, a bit like Rees-Mogg.

-------------

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 3:19pm

I like the line on, i think it was Have I Got News For You - He looks like a childs drawing of what a Tory should look like.

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

I like the line on, i think it was Have I Got News For You - He looks like a childs drawing of what a Tory should look like.
Yeah, that was a cracker and incredibly accurate. He has become great friends in Westminster with Mhairí Black, which must be the most bizarre friendship since the Jungle Book.

-------------

Posted By: daboi89
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 6:27pm
68 residents are being moved into a 2billion pound apartment complex

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 9:24am
Nice -  https://www.berkeleygroup.co.uk/new-homes/london/kensington/kensington-row" rel="nofollow - https://www.berkeleygroup.co.uk/new-homes/london/kensington/kensington-row

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 12:53pm
There was a load of checks done by the council and it was passed off ok. But as was pointed out it would be very difficult to look at the cladding and say it was flammable or unflammable, so it's gonna come down to who approved the purchase of the cladding that's not meant to be used on buidlings above a certain height. Are the builders or architects repsonsible for using that cladding? 

Now all the residents complaints about the building and it's fire issues are a separate matter all together. I'd imagine that they weren't even aware of the cladding that was used. 

One final thing the council spent £10million, which is £83,000 per apartment, so they can not be accused of spending neglect, but was it just they refused to listen to anything the residents were saying and just went about it with the attitude of 'shut up we no best'?? 

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 10:57am
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/24/cladding-27-tower-blocks-fails-fire-safety-tests-grenfell-tower" rel="nofollow - http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/24/cladding-27-tower-blocks-fails-fire-safety-tests-grenfell-tower

Hardly a surprise. 

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 4:20pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPRtKGjJ8Yc" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPRtKGjJ8Yc

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 4:23pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPRtKGjJ8Yc" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPRtKGjJ8Yc

Tried putting a court injunction earlier in the morning to stop them attending. The man is pure scum.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 4:37pm
What a tramp

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 5:43pm
Just resigned as council leader. Pressure must have been put on from No.10 they weren't happy with his antics last night

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 5:49pm
Great to here, he can't escape justice, I hope.

-------------

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 5:58pm

Great to here, he can't escape justice, I hope.

I hear you.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net