You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia v Ireland - 2 September

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 11:55am
Why is a 35 year old Norwich substitute still the magical cure to all of our problems? We have players like Hourihane, Kelly and (yes, even) Aiden McGeady who are doing very well as attacking midfield players in the same league and can barely get a look in.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by manchesterbhoy manchesterbhoy wrote:

so much for the epl being the best league in the world when in fact its crippling us when we dont have 1 or 2 at the top teams, 

Its not the best league in the world, nor do many seriously think it is any more, but i was thinking of this at the weekend.
There is no EPL clubs who play the way we did on Saturday, unable to keep the ball for more than 10 seconds or string more than 2 passes together.

I just think that for whatever reason, footballers from this area of the globe are technically inferior to most other parts, and that includes England, Scotland etc.
Slovakia will be better technically than England tonight I would say.

We have one player in our squad it seems who is technically blessed to be capable of playing possession keeping football, and he's been in the championship for the past few years.

I agree, though who is the one player in the squad? McGeady?  I don't think we have any.

Hoolahan.
The man who every match these days is dominated around.

What would our lads be like at their clubs when they do those possession keeping games in a circle, I think the fancy name for them is a rondo. You could just imagine them being like Peter Kay in that John Smiths ad he did, hoofing the ball into the carpark

Hoolahan's biggest fault is constantly giving away cheap possession and it is the reason he is often left out by Norwich when they play away and ourselves too. I know he has possession stats of around 83% in the league this year, a full percentage point behind Glenn Whelan, and while that is high, it is the dangerous times and places that he loses it that see him deemed a risk. 
I agree with the rest again. Georgia have twice proved to be a better group of players technically than ourselves. England have often been let down by it in the past, as have Scotland, over the past 20-30 years at least, when before that they had tradition of producing a lot of the flair players in the English game. Having half their team working with a good technical coach everyday seems to be helping them in this regard though.

To quote the parlance of our times, but this is just FAKE NEWS. An absolute myth created about Hoolahan. He also doesn't tackle either. People should actually go back and watch matches where Wes has played. He's cleverer at getting the ball back than Whelan is, and that's supposed to be Whelan's purpose in the team.

Any disadvantages of having Wes in the team are faaaaaaaaaaar outweighed by what he brings to the team.

I never stated he doesn't tackle. I merely believe his passing game is vastly overrated. I never questioned his work rate either. 
I disagree with the last line too, I think they more than balance each other out.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 11:58am
The majority of the good moments in this campaign have come from Wes. He is not Messi or xavi but that's not the point. Does he make us play better and more likely to win yes.

Actually I can't think of any bad mistakes Wes has made that have cost us goals. I can think of a few where he has directly helped in scoring a goal. We have enough defensive players to cover up for any failings he may have.
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 11:59am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Why is a 35 year old Norwich substitute still the magical cure to all of our problems? We have players like Hourihane, Kelly and (yes, even) Aiden McGeady who are doing very well as attacking midfield players in the same league and can barely get a look in.
The problem is that it isn't a great league. I think all the money that is awash in the Championship now, like it has done in the EPL, to an extent,  has actually diluted the quality. I don't think McGeady, for example, has improved that much as a player but that the standard in the league has dipped. The real worry is that so many of our players are playing in that league.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 12:00pm
It was a brutal performance the other night but it's nothing new and I am not overly concerned by it. We know what we are and haven't played well as a collective attacking unit in a long time.
We generally play our most exciting stuff when our backs are to the wall and we draw caution to the wind. That's actually why Saturday's result will make for a better specticle on Tuesday.

I think in this group we are all more or less of similar quality. We are well organized and won't concede much but then others are better in attack but more likely to concede.

We've been fairly lucky to get to the position we are in as we've been poor in most games. We could have lost 2 points easily in all of the draws we got, at the same time we nearly nicked it in Georgia (mcgeady) and even against Wales and Austria at home.

It's going to be very close either way and we just have to hope we get the rub of the green. Our issues in possession are not going to change over night. So hopefully we see the likes of Hoolihan starting, drop Whelan and give it a proper go on Tuesday. Would prefer that and lose vs. a cagey performance and draw and prolong the agony

Edited by t_rAndy - 04 Sep 2017 at 12:04pm
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 12:03pm
Funny that the only away games wes has started in we won and played some decent football at times, against Moldova and Austria. Id rather we lost with wes in the team trying to play then draw with whelan in it playing the slow drivel were used to seeing when hes in the team.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

It was a brutal performance the other night but it's nothing new and I am not overly concerned by it. We know what we are and haven't played well as a collective attacking unit in a long time.

It was a campaign ruining result I thought. Like Scotland's result away to Georgia in the last campaign.
Saturday's results have totally changed the momentum of the group now.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 12:04pm

so much for the epl being the best league in the world when in fact its crippling us when we dont have 1 or 2 at the top teams, 

Its not the best league in the world, nor do many seriously think it is any more, but i was thinking of this at the weekend.
There is no EPL clubs who play the way we did on Saturday, unable to keep the ball for more than 10 seconds or string more than 2 passes together.

I just think that for whatever reason, footballers from this area of the globe are technically inferior to most other parts, and that includes England, Scotland etc.

We have one player in our squad it seems who is technically blessed to be capable of playing possession keeping football, and he's been in the championship for the past few years.

I agree, though who is the one player in the squad? McGeady?  I don't think we have any.

Hoolahan.

What would our lads be like at their clubs when they do those possession keeping games in a circle, I think the fancy name for them is a rondo. You could just imagine them being like Peter Kay in that John Smiths ad he did, hoofing the ball into the carpark

Hoolahan's biggest fault is constantly giving away cheap possession and it is the reason he is often left out by Norwich when they play away and ourselves too. I know he has possession stats of around 83% in the league this year, a full percentage point behind Glenn Whelan, and while that is high, it is the dangerous times and places that he loses it that see him deemed a risk. 
I agree with the rest again. Georgia have twice proved to be a better group of players technically than ourselves. England have often been let down by it in the past, as have Scotland, over the past 20-30 years at least, when before that they had tradition of producing a lot of the flair players in the English game. Having half their team working with a good technical coach everyday seems to be helping them in this regard though.

To quote the parlance of our times, but this is just FAKE NEWS. An absolute myth created about Hoolahan. He also doesn't tackle either. People should actually go back and watch matches where Wes has played. He's cleverer at getting the ball back than Whelan is, and that's supposed to be Whelan's purpose in the team.

Any disadvantages of having Wes in the team are faaaaaaaaaaar outweighed by what he brings to the team.

I never stated he doesn't tackle. I merely believe his passing game is vastly overrated. I never questioned his work rate either. 
I disagree with the last line too, I think they more than balance each other out.

The points earned stats say having Hoolahan in the team makes the difference. That really should be the bottom line.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

Funny that the only away games wes has started in we won and played some decent football at times, against Moldova and Austria. Id rather we lost with wes in the team trying to play then draw with whelan in it playing the slow drivel were used to seeing when hes in the team.

That's just crazy talk now. If Wes wasn't making a difference, then I wouldn't want him. But statistically he does, so I do.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 12:06pm

Hoolahan.

The points earned stats say having Hoolahan in the team makes the difference. That really should be the bottom line.
Which is the problem with stats. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 12:11pm

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

It was a campaign ruining result I thought. Like Scotland's result away to Georgia in the last campaign.
Saturday's results have totally changed the momentum of the group now.

Yes it changed the momentum because it looked like earlier in the campaign we might actually do it the easy way for once!
But over the last few games we've let the momentum go. Georgia was just another bad result but we've been lucky to get 4 points from them this campaign, our performances did not deserve that many. We stole the momentum to this point!

davekoolhill View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davekoolhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 12:13pm
I did a piece comparing the stats of Ireland's starting XI, with those of each players last game for their club. 

A lot of them have almost double the amount of touches and passes in their last club game. Also the passing accuracy is better for most players with their club. 

Twitter: DaveOGrady1
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 12:14pm
Will we definitely get into the play offs if we finish 2nd in this group?
I read at the weekend that our group could possibly miss out

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by davekoolhill davekoolhill wrote:

I did a piece comparing the stats of Ireland's starting XI, with those of each players last game for their club. 

A lot of them have almost double the amount of touches and passes in their last club game. Also the passing accuracy is better for most players with their club. 

Were they all playing Georgia for their clubs?Shocked
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 12:21pm
It was a shocking performance and full of real stupidity tactically in my opinion. In that heat and humidity, to set your stall out to hoof it down the channels with no support and hand initiative back to the home team who have shown they are decent enough on the ball was suicide. Not asking for us to turn into Spain but ESPECIALLY after an early goal, try and keep it for a few minutes and maybe apply some more pressure ourselves and at the very least go in at half time 1-0 up. I really think it was summed up at the start of the second half where we kicked it off and you would think the lads have just had a bollocking for a terrible first half performance - they immediately kick it long and hand it back to Georgia. It's a little thing but jesus it summed it up for me.

Again I'm not under any illusions with how MON has set us up so far, we are not a passing team but 30% possession against Georgia is simply not good enough. Just play it a bit smart for crying out loud. We were so deep which always happens as soon as we score - get the message out there to push up 5 or 10 yards, stop retreating, that's on management and that's on our experienced players in the team. You play long ball and expect Shane Long to win it, head it to himself, take a few touches and then eventually pass it when the midfield manages to make up the ground to him? 

It was a hugely disappointing and damaging result and performance in terms of momentum more than anything. We have shown we're capable of a big performance after a poor one, but Wales & Austria at home were both very poor performances too. Considering where we were at the start of the year it's worrying how it's gone. 

It's all or nothing now at home against Serbia in my opinion as even a draw I'm not sure we are capable of getting the required results to make sure we finish above Wales for a playoff. This group was here for winning and had we set ourselves up differently or even just been switched on for 90 minutes against Austria & Georgia we'd probably be 2 points clear at the top right now.

We are where we are and people in here saying get behind the team and don't boo etc., fans travelling to Tbilisi are entitled to voice their displeasure as long as it doesn't descend into personal abuse of players in my opinion. Those same people in Tbilisi are more than likely lads following the team for years so to patronise them by saying "get behind the team on Tuesday" is ridiculous - we'll all be roaring them on tomorrow but that doesn't mean you just accept what happened on Saturday. We know Georgia are decent but that's no excuse either, we made them look like a really good Premier League side for god sake. 

Yes we're still in a decent position and it's still in our own hands but that doesn't mean we just say nothing when you witness something like Saturday either.
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 1:01pm
Panic stations as usual, we're still unbeaten in the group and 2 points off top with a chance to go top tomorrow, myself and most others would have bitten your hand off to be in this position this time last year. 

I'm sure the majority of people who love to come out and hound MON for any reason at all would have predicted we would be 4th at this stage. It's as if some people look forward to us getting results like this so they can come on here and have a field they while proclaiming they were right about MON all along. Sad.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Panic stations as usual, we're still unbeaten in the group and 2 points off top with a chance to go top tomorrow, myself and most others would have bitten your hand off to be in this position this time last year. 

I'm sure the majority of people who love to come out and hound MON for any reason at all would have predicted we would be 4th at this stage. It's as if some people look forward to us getting results like this so they can come on here and have a field they while proclaiming they were right about MON all along. Sad.

Exactly my sentiments. 

Not so much the Wales game but the last two games are a cause for concern without doubt. I do think we'll give Serbia a tough game tomorrow but they are much much better on the ball than us. Matic in great form and Kolarov scoring the other night. It'll be a very tough match but we've beaten better teams.

I expect a draw mind. 

Edited by irishmufc - 04 Sep 2017 at 1:20pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 1:39pm
RTE don't pick the team or play for the team. What do you expect O' Neil to do ? Slate the players and lower belief/morale for Tuesdays game ? Or admit he got it wrong and undermine himself to his players ? Seriously , managers deceive or lie to interviewers in the modern game more often than they tell the truth . Everyone knows that . Truth is the media are an irritant to plenty within the game and again , those in media don't pick the teams or play on them . TOD should know his place if you ask me..

Edited by BabbsBalls - 04 Sep 2017 at 1:39pm
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647>
  Share Topic