You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia v Ireland - 2 September

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 47>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

Brady and arter were very poor for all their promise. I reckon O'Neill sees Artur as a younger Wes with a more rounded game. It may well be the case but he wasn't putting it in for us last night. but it's up to the manager to see flaws are correct them. I can't see how Wes could not have improved things. In fact i think he could've dominated possession.

It's far from lost, we have 2 cup finals to play and hopefully one home banker. I suppose it's games like the next few that is what it's all about

Confused Are you for real? Wes is far from perfect, but we have not one other player in the squad in the mould of Wes. 
Sponsored Links

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

In the history of football at any profesional level you will be hard pressed to find a team who consistently fold and retreat into there shell like Ireland do when they go 1-0 up. Its like a disease . Utterly bizarre no matter who we play .

That part was bonkers alright. Within five minutes or so of scoring yesterday, we were deep in our own half and defending. Part of the problem was that we were playing absolutely zero football and letting Georgia have all the possession and territory - every time we got the ball, we just hoofed it down the pitch and let Georgia get possession again.
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

Brady and arter were very poor for all their promise. I reckon O'Neill sees Artur as a younger Wes with a more rounded game. It may well be the case but he wasn't putting it in for us last night. but it's up to the manager to see flaws are correct them. I can't see how Wes could not have improved things. In fact i think he could've dominated possession.

It's far from lost, we have 2 cup finals to play and hopefully one home banker. I suppose it's games like the next few that is what it's all about

Confused Are you for real? Wes is far from perfect, but we have not one other player in the squad in the mould of Wes. 

I am defo not agreeing with O'Neill on this btw, i agree with you. As i said Wes could've dominated possession, arter did not
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

Has it been mentioned yet that Horgan was left out of the matchday squad yesterday so we could have 2 goalkeepers on the bench?

Not saying he should have been brought on or would have changed things but that is madness.....why is David Forde the only gk MON isn't afraid of upsetting?

You name a match squad of 23 and it must contain 3 goalkeepers. It isn't madness, it's the rules.

Well you learn something new every day....wasn't aware of that. The madness is on UEFA/FIFA's part then
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 3:25pm
Just back from the longest journey home of my life from Tbilisi.....

I dont know if you point the finger more at O'Neill or the players for that absolute f**king horror show, but i'm going to say both. Absolutely horrendous. Other than a couple of them (obviously youre never going to get anything less than 100 percent from McClean) they looked like they didnt want to be there. Half of them werent even arsed coming over applauding the fans after the game. Deep into stoppage time there was Ward taking his sweet time over a throw-in and nobody making themselves available for him.

The possession and passing statistics are absolutely scandalous. If we got 11 lads up from the Phoenix Park, stood off them until they got to the edge of the box every single time, they'd probably get something off us too. Georgia are a poor f**king team. If we got at them, they'd have made mistakes. If we give them the freedom of the pitch, they'll look like world beaters. Any one of us would look like a world beater going on a 60 yard dribbling and passing move if we were completely unopposed too.

We played absolutely dire hoofball for two reasons. First, it appears instinctive from our defenders to just get rid rather than play it out. Secondly, none of our midfielders want the ball whatsoever. When Randolph took a kickout or got the ball at all it was an absolutely pathetic sight. Everyone in the defence and midfield trudging up the pitch, literally hiding from him hoping they wouldn't be picked to receive the ball. The end result is it's punted up to an isolated Walters or Long and they could do nothing with it.

Too many of these players are skating by based on the fact that they might have turned in a great performance a year or two ago. I was amazed by our lack of urgency for so much of that match last night. O'Neill has been loyal to the players who served him well in the last campaign and at the Euros and that has bred complacency. It seems the only way you get taken out of the Ireland team is if you are over 35 and in terminal decline. We're over a year on from the Euros where we had the oldest team, and the only new first team player is Harry Arter.

The changes were absolute madness designed to abandon all structure. We took off two midfielders and replaced them with a winger and a target man, so at the end we had Brady, Walters, McClean, Long, McGeady and Murphy the only players on the pitch who werent defenders or Randolph. The W-M formation was abandoned around the 50s but it came alive and well for a long time last night, Georgia countered it by actually having a midfield.

Walters on the pitch, much as he's been so good for us over the years, was the equivalent of playing with ten men. He was clearly unfit. Keane and O'Neill made noises over the week to the tune of "he's a warrior, so if he declares himself fit we'll be delighted". He may have declared himself fit but he evidently wasnt.

I can't see us getting anywhere near the win we now urgently need from Serbia. 

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 03 Sep 2017 at 3:26pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Just back from the longest journey home of my life from Tbilisi.....

I dont know if you point the finger more at O'Neill or the players for that absolute f**king horror show, but i'm going to say both. Absolutely horrendous. Other than a couple of them (obviously youre never going to get anything less than 100 percent from McClean) they looked like they didnt want to be there. Half of them werent even arsed coming over applauding the fans after the game. Deep into stoppage time there was Ward taking his sweet time over a throw-in and nobody making themselves available for him.

The possession and passing statistics are absolutely scandalous. If we got 11 lads up from the Phoenix Park, stood off them until they got to the edge of the box every single time, they'd probably get something off us too. Georgia are a poor f**king team. If we got at them, they'd have made mistakes. If we give them the freedom of the pitch, they'll look like world beaters. Any one of us would look like a world beater going on a 60 yard dribbling and passing move if we were completely unopposed too.

We played absolutely dire hoofball for two reasons. First, it appears instinctive from our defenders to just get rid rather than play it out. Secondly, none of our midfielders want the ball whatsoever. When Randolph took a kickout or got the ball at all it was an absolutely pathetic sight. Everyone in the defence and midfield trudging up the pitch, literally hiding from him hoping they wouldn't be picked to receive the ball. The end result is it's punted up to an isolated Walters or Long and they could do nothing with it.

Too many of these players are skating by based on the fact that they might have turned in a great performance a year or two ago. I was amazed by our lack of urgency for so much of that match last night. O'Neill has been loyal to the players who served him well in the last campaign and at the Euros and that has bred complacency. It seems the only way you get taken out of the Ireland team is if you are over 35 and in terminal decline. We're over a year on from the Euros where we had the oldest team, and the only new first team player is Harry Arter.

The changes were absolute madness designed to abandon all structure. We took off two midfielders and replaced them with a winger and a target man, so at the end we had Brady, Walters, McClean, Long, McGeady and Murphy the only players on the pitch who werent defenders or Randolph. The W-M formation was abandoned around the 50s but it came alive and well for a long time last night, Georgia countered it by actually having a midfield.

Walters on the pitch, much as he's been so good for us over the years, was the equivalent of playing with ten men. He was clearly unfit. Keane and O'Neill made noises over the week to the tune of "he's a warrior, so if he declares himself fit we'll be delighted". He may have declared himself fit but he evidently wasnt.

I can't see us getting anywhere near the win we now urgently need from Serbia. 

A lot of good points here. Having only 32% possession against a team like Georgia was shocking - you would expect to see a stat like against Germany, but not against a team ranked many places below you and who are struggling in the group.

Agree with you about the substitutions. It was a bizarre sight to see Long, McGeady, Murphy, McClean, Walters and Brady on all at the same time at the end.....it's almost a wonder we didn't concede.

The only way is up though. That was so atrocious that you would think the only thing possible is a big improvement.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 4:42pm
What is also particularly galling is I watched Scotland on friday night against a similar team to Georgia. They were superb. Calm and composed on the ball- hard to believe it was the same team that started the campaign. Goes to show with the right instructions it can be done. I mean there front 6 was Brown, Armstrong, McArthur, Forrest, Phillips and Griffiths. Surely to god Arter, Meyler, Hoolahan, McClean, Brady and Walters/Long is as good.

Edited by Stickittotheman - 03 Sep 2017 at 4:42pm
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by YouGirlsInGreen YouGirlsInGreen wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

f**king pathetic comments from some on here
+1. Some absolute dickheads on this forum.

Lads, can you blame some of the comments? Lads are emotionally/financially/personally invested in the team. That was pure and utter sh*te and it's all too common.

Can't wait for Tuesday when I've to arrange my professional and personal life to watch more of that dross.

Ps, MON is again being incredibly disrespectful to TOD here who has a right to ask the questions

No problem with the team being criticised. Do have a problem with some of the words like Treason being used and false comparisons being made to Liechtenstein in 1995

Posts coming in thick and fast so missed the "treason" post and/or similar.

Hope the travelling support have the best night of their lives because they f**king deserve it.
I don't mean to get personal but I'm sick and tired of comments like "I stopped watching at HT" and "why bother showing up next week". Yes, we were muck tonight and I'm extremely frustrated but Tuesday night we go again.

Agree. We were absolute muck, shocking, terrible etc etc. I was at the game tonight and it's definitely up there with the worst performance. But not close to the unbelievable spectacle at full time when the team walked towards the crowd clapping and 3 lads at fromy of crowd started booing sticking their fingers up and calling them all c**ts. When we objected we were told lads had paid their money and deserved to give their opinion. Never in all my years going have I been so ashamed. Absolutely disgraceful. I'm unbelievably disappointed but if I ever see that s**t again I'll knock them out.

To Tuesday.. and we go again.

Two sided to every story. That was me.

There was sizable boos from the crowd, not just me. I call nobody a **** but yeah in the heat of the moment I threw a few fingers. What can I say, we were awful, I paid a huge financial and personal amount on the line to get there, missing out on a house I wanted to buy to go, missing out on am old family member home from America to go. I expected them to at least try. Frustration boiled over and I shouldn't have reacted that way. So be it.

I'd three people in my face within seconds telling me to f**k off home, nothing else, no attempt at reasoning, no attempt to just tell me to cop on, nothing, pure vitriol was all

I apologised and asked what your friend wanted me to do after apologising and all he did was keep telling me to f**k off.

Do you think that was the best way to handle it from you end from you and the two others? Have you ever done something in the heat of the moment and regret it? Congrats if you haven't but you'd be the only person in the world.

In all of this someone pushed a disabled fan onto the ground, no attempt to pick him up or help him. No mention of that from you.

What do you think you achieved with all this? What would knocking me out do?  

Edit - just to add, I never once said about the money, the lads did when they came in after our disabled mate was pushed the the ground. I was just repeatedly told to f**k off, to get the f**k out and general other threats from yourself and two others.

No dialogue and no 'objections' other than being roared at to f**k off etc. You were all right in my face with all this. No need for it.

Edited by nvidic - 03 Sep 2017 at 9:14pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 6:17pm
Why were you apologising. You should have told those other guys to fcuk off. No offense but you must be mad to mias out on a house to go to georgia. You could have just watched it on tv.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 6:21pm
To right pure dedication nvidic and you had every right to voice your displeasure. It was a pathetic performance. Should have told the others to get to f**k.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Why were you apologising. You should have told those other guys to fcuk off. No offense but you must be mad to mias out on a house to go to georgia. You could have just watched it on tv.

I wasn't to know I was missing out when I went, will find a better one, so be it.

I do apologise for throwing the fingers but not for booing.

I didn't deserve the aggression that came towards. Me, why I got that but the players didn't I don't know. Why someone felt it okay to threaten me repeatedly I don't know. Why someone thought it only to push over a disabled fan and not help them up to have a cut at me know I don't know.

Hopefully YGIG can clear that all up.
Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 6:26pm
you were perfectly in you're right to do what you did, it's not in my nature to voice my opinion outloud like that but I wouldn't have been angry if the people either side of me did it.
Hi Lads
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 6:29pm
Personally i could not see myself ever booing an irish player but i could totally understand if you travelled all that way and seen what i seen on tv. It was beyond belief how bad we were. I was never more disappointed in an irish team that yesterday. I wouldnt be apologising to anyone.
Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 6:29pm
One positive for tuesday also is I've never seen an Irish crowd so vocal in there opinion (negative opinion anyway) of the team's performance at FT, hopefully that is an extra boot in the ass that is needed if dropping 2 point wasn't.
Hi Lads
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Cathalthesmart Cathalthesmart wrote:

One positive for tuesday also is I've never seen an Irish crowd so vocal in there opinion (negative opinion anyway) of the team's performance at FT, hopefully that is an extra boot in the ass that is needed if dropping 2 point wasn't.

That was a lot of my thinking.

The Roy Keane quote of 2012 came into my head too, we shouldn't be happy to go away and have a sing song and put up with mediocrity. We deserved better than we got last night.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 6:55pm

I'd say the management and team are under no illusions the fans were seriously pis*ed off with that result and especially performance, they read social media and the press like the rest of us. Hopefully this serves as a boot up the backside for them and they show a radically different attitude against Serbia. Enough of the caution and defending deep in your own half.

Edited by Strazdas - 03 Sep 2017 at 6:55pm
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 7:51pm

I've heard much worse at Lansdowne and Croke Park. The football team is the only Irish team in history to be booed off at Croke Park. Sometimes the team would be booed off at half time, let alone full time.

Anyone who did boo in Georgia were well within their rights too, most had paid at least 4-500 quid to get there and be served up that sht from allegedly "the best manager we've had since Charlton".

It was just as bad in Georgia the last time, it wasn't much better against them at home, so the performance we got this time is what was expected. The difference was the results. If we nicked another injury time goal to bail us out again, they would have been cheered off and praised for their never say die attitude, as they have been against Georgia for the past 3 years.
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 8:19pm
Waiting for the final leg of the journey home in Luton. That was some distance to travel to witness that insipid pile of sh1t. The management and players should be ashamed of themselves after that worst performance since Staunton's reign by a long way considering the opposition. Noticed they didn't even come down to applaud the fans after as well, assume they know they'd have got some stick. Need a big reaction Tuesday but I fear our goose is cooked. May well miss out as worst second place team if we were finish second. Shocking to me here after where we were sat post Vienna but in reality we've been poor for most of the group.

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 03 Sep 2017 at 8:29pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 47>
  Share Topic