Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia v Ireland - 2 September

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 47>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 11:15am
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

We should worry.  Although our record against Georgia is played seven, won seven, I don't recall any of those seven being convincing victories.  Especially away.

Republic of Ireland Match Results Against Georgia

Date
Venue
Competition Result
Score
29-Mar-2003 Tblisi, Georgia Euro Qualifier Win
2 - 1
11-Jun-2003 Lansdowne Road, Dublin Euro Qualifier Win
2 - 0
06-Sep-2008 Mainz, Germany WC Qualifier Win
2 - 1
11-Feb-2009 Croke Park , Dublin WC Qualifier Win
2 - 1
02-Jun-2013 Aviva Stadium, Dublin Friendly Win
4 - 0
07-Sep-2014 Tblisi, Georgia Euro Qualifier Win 2 - 1
07-Sep-2015 Aviva Stadium, Dublin Euro Qualifier Win 1 - 0
06-Oct-2016 Aviva Stadium, Dublin WC Qualifier Win 1 - 0

I know it was a friendly and they had a man sent off but that 4-0 win was quite convincing.

I'd go for a 2-1 win again

Sponsored Links

greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 11:16am
I just don't get it lads, we are never going to play nice football in a competitive match so the sooner people realise this and accept it the better for them. Our strength is our physicality on the pitch so we have to play to that.
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 11:18am
We need to start attacking. Get out and get an early goal to calm any nerves. I know we are all abit nervous for this one but I think we will get the win, 2-0 for me.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 6:33pm
We must win in Georgia; and following that a win against Serbia in Dublin would put us in control of our destiny to top the group. 

Surely a preferable situation to go for the win against a Serbia team, rather than a chance at second and go to the play-offs.  As an unseeded team, on current standings, we would end up against a Portugal/France/Italy/Iceland.  Slim chance of success against the first three.  Therefore, Serbia could be akin to an (easier) play-off game itself. 

They've no big injuries.  

We'll have Coleman out, and possibly McCarthy, though too early to say.  We also have a rake of lads on yellows, and you can bet we'll pick up more in Tblisi, which will no doubt shorten our options for Dublin.

Tblisi will be a big ask and take a lot out of the tank.  Four hour time difference, playing in the summer heat against a tidy team who will feel they can beat us and "owe us one".  Back in Dublin against the Serbs not three days later.  Compared to the Serbs' home game against minnows, Moldova, it's not ideal preparation.  

With most of our eleven likely to appear for PL teams tomorrow and seemingly recovering some form, there is no doubting we can win both.  But Serbia (and Georgia) will be confident of the same.

"Squeaky bum time".  

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 6:44pm
Any news when O'Neill will announce the squad for this match?

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 6:58pm
Whelan, Ward, (Coleman), Walters, Duffy, Meyler, McGeady, Christie, Brady

Vukovic, Stefan Mitrovic, Tadic, Matic

Those are the players at risk of suspension with one yellow card. We really, really want Matic to miss out, whatever about the others. He is totally capable of running the show, like he did in the friendly a few years back.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 11:28pm
Really uncomfortable about this match.

We've pushed our luck against them in recent times and they're getting better every game they play
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 12:17am
Totally agree with Coyne. Its extraordinary how many times we have wobbled over the banana skin, but have never fallen flat on our faces. The game in June 2003 is about the only game against Georgia where I was genuinely comfortable, and our last two performances against them have been woeful at best. However, we have always beaten them, and the nature of our current team would suggest to me that we have enough in the tank to beat them again. Also, I have often felt we have been more comfortable against them away, as opposed to at home.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 12:30am
Hardly any team has it easy against them. But they almost all beat them. Another scrappy, ugly, unconvincing win will do fine.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 12:45am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

We've pushed our luck against them in recent times and they're getting better every game they play

Would have to disagree that they are getting better with every game they played. Since they played us in Dublin the only result of note they have had is the draw in Cardiff.They have been beat by Serbia and drew twice with Moldova in their last 3 games

If Moldova can get a result (ok only a draw) against them then we should be capable of getting 3 points over there no matter how scrappy the game is

Edited by ringerbell - 12 Aug 2017 at 12:46am
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 1:34am
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Would have to disagree that they are getting better with every game they played. Since they played us in Dublin the only result of note they have had is the draw in Cardiff.They have been beat by Serbia and drew twice with Moldova in their last 3 games

If Moldova can get a result (ok only a draw) against them then we should be capable of getting 3 points over there no matter how scrappy the game is

Hmm.. Fair point. It's true that their results aren't backing up what I said but from what I saw from when they played against Serbia, they are a credible threat - Should of gone 2-0 up and Serbia were awarded a very unfair penalty which ended up being the turning point. Then they go let themselves down by going 2-0 down to Moldova at 1 stage the following game LOL

I don't think they'll be beating Serbia in Belgrade or Austria in Vienna but the other 2 remaining Home games I have a feeling they'll get something from either 1 of them.

Edited by coyne - 12 Aug 2017 at 1:35am
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 3:00am
They're no more due a result us than we are due a win over Brazil. We've won each game with them because we've found a way to win and simply because we are a better side than they are. They make it tough on everyone but come up with little to show for it. We should be winning this.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 3:32am
Merge threads?
Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 7:04am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

They're no more due a result us than we are due a win over Brazil. We've won each game with them because we've found a way to win and simply because we are a better side than they are. They make it tough on everyone but come up with little to show for it. We should be winning this.

"They're no more due a result us than we are due a win over Brazil" That's not how sport works I'm afraid, we weren't comfortable in most of those games but we won because we had the belief to win and composure to win on the other hand they didn't.
Hi Lads
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 8:45am
Yah merge the threads. Wouldn't show up on the Google search.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:02am
Cathal, before you start contradicting Pythagoras's theorem, what do you think the score will be?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:05am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Cathal, before you start contradicting Pythagoras's theorem, what do you think the score will be?

That's for me to know and you never to find out.
Do you even know what Pythagoras's theorem is or are you just saying that just to try give the impression that your intelligent?

Edited by Cathalthesmart - 12 Aug 2017 at 9:07am
Hi Lads
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:11am
I do.

I'm just in awe at your ability to be right, allegedly.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 47>
  Share Topic