You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next Republic of Ireland manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: Who will be the next permanent Republic of Ireland manager?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [26.47%]
1 [1.47%]
34 [50.00%]
8 [11.76%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [7.35%]
2 [2.94%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Next Republic of Ireland manager
    Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 4:36pm
I think MON will leave after this campaign. I would like Stephen Kenny to get it, or if not Chris Hughton. It's almost certainly going to be too early for Hughton with Brighton finally in the PL. I think Roy will get it if we qualify for Russia. If we don't, all bets are off.

Could we go English again? Big Sam to redeem himself and show what England missed out on? Flash Arry' after he does a marvellous job of keeping Birmingham up. Maybe El Tel to come out of retirement like a phoenix from the flames if Eamon doesn't scupper him again, or one of the 'young' turks, Sean dyche certainly plays our kind of football. Smile  

Maybe Arsene would take a 7 million pounds pay cut if he decides to sack himself at Arsenal. Smile
Sponsored Links

belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 4:42pm
Kenny's carry on and outbursts in the last couple of weeks would put me right off; regardless of what he's achieved with Dundalk.

If he can't handle the pressure of being behind Cork in the league, he's not fit to be international manager.

As you said if we qualify, Keane should get the opportunity. If not, Hughton or Mick McCarthy for me.
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 5:04pm
Id let Keane continue on the work of O'Neill if he was interested, wouldn't be any huge disruption to the team/squad.. Theyd know what hes like/what he wants and itll give Roy a chance to resurrect his managerial career.

Especially if he got a decent number 2 in, he can work along side and gain more from.

Otherwise id give Mick another shot. We'll really be back at another transitional period and I feel he could help us out big time blooding through youth. Have Robbie as his no.2.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 5:05pm
Keane; Still big question marks over whether he can be a good manager, he may well have found his level. He has mellowed though and it certainly isn't as outlandish now as when it has been previously suggested.

Kenny; Became a bit of a media darling in the last few years as results with Dundalk showed he could do no wrong, unfortunately has shown real weakness this year, attacking referees and trying to create a personal spat with Caulfield to deflect from poor results. While I don't think the option of a left-field appointment from the LOI should be ruled out, this one has all the hallmarks of disaster and there is currently nobody else suitable.

Hughton; Has to be first choice. He seems to have developed from the 'negative manager' the Norwich fans saw him as and finishing ahead of a Newcastle side  expected to walk the league is a fine achievement. A lot would depend on what his position is in 12 months time, how much he fancies international management and what sort of salary the FAI can offer.

McCarthy; Much maligned at Ipswich, wrongly in my eyes as he has got them ahead of where their budget would suggest having consistently lost key players. I feel if he left that Ipswich fans would be looking for him back quicker. Regarding Ireland, he may be a good short-stop for a campaign, a safe pair of hands who would keep us competitive. Far from ideal though.

McDermott; A star that briefly shone bright, at one stage I felt his appointment was inevitable, his spell in the Leeds madhouse has derailed his career and it wasn't helped by an uncomfortable second spell at Reading. His earlier achievements at the latter can't be forgotten though and it will be interesting to see what happens for him in the summer. I expect a make or break appointment at a lower-league club where a good performance would have him as a less expensive alternative, something the FAI will certainly take into account.

Sheridan; I take it we were running out of names? If we hire John Sheridan he will end up back at Oldham within six months, probably after another rant at a referee, like this one;
'You're a f****** disgrace, you're f****** useless, you've not f****** got anything right today, you should be f****** ashamed, you're f****** sh*t, my kids aren't going to get any f****** Christmas presents because of f****** you. Mr Sheridan then took his place in the stands for the rest of the game.”

Bielsa; Really running out of names. Insert block capital words here and generic SUDAMERICANA nicknames.

Some Obscure French Lad; Which one and what has he done? Not Troussier or Houllier though.

If we can keep MON for another two years, with Roy by his side, I think that would be the best option. Providing, of course, we at least make a playoff.

Edited by pre Madonna - 21 Apr 2017 at 5:07pm
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Keane; Still big question marks over whether he can be a good manager, he may well have found his level. He has mellowed though and it certainly isn't as outlandish now as when it has been previously suggested.

Kenny; Became a bit of a media darling in the last few years as results with Dundalk showed he could do no wrong, unfortunately has shown real weakness this year, attacking referees and trying to create a personal spat with Caulfield to deflect from poor results. While I don't think the option of a left-field appointment from the LOI should be ruled out, this one has all the hallmarks of disaster and there is currently nobody else suitable.

Hughton; Has to be first choice. He seems to have developed from the 'negative manager' the Norwich fans saw him as and finishing ahead of a Newcastle side  expected to walk the league is a fine achievement. A lot would depend on what his position is in 12 months time, how much he fancies international management and what sort of salary the FAI can offer.

McCarthy; Much maligned at Ipswich, wrongly in my eyes as he has got them ahead of where their budget would suggest having consistently lost key players. I feel if he left that Ipswich fans would be looking for him back quicker. Regarding Ireland, he may be a good short-stop for a campaign, a safe pair of hands who would keep us competitive. Far from ideal though.

McDermott; A star that briefly shone bright, at one stage I felt his appointment was inevitable, his spell in the Leeds madhouse has derailed his career and it wasn't helped by an uncomfortable second spell at Reading. His earlier achievements at the latter can't be forgotten though and it will be interesting to see what happens for him in the summer. I expect a make or break appointment at a lower-league club where a good performance would have him as a less expensive alternative, something the FAI will certainly take into account.

Sheridan; I take it we were running out of names? If we hire John Sheridan he will end up back at Oldham within six months, probably after another rant at a referee, like this one;
'You're a f****** disgrace, you're f****** useless, you've not f****** got anything right today, you should be f****** ashamed, you're f****** sh*t, my kids aren't going to get any f****** Christmas presents because of f****** you. Mr Sheridan then took his place in the stands for the rest of the game.”

Bielsa; Really running out of names. Insert block capital words here and generic SUDAMERICANA nicknames.

Some Obscure French Lad; Which one and what has he done? Not Troussier or Houllier though.

If we can keep MON for another two years, with Roy by his side, I think that would be the best option. Providing, of course, we at least make a playoff.

Nicely summed up.

Whenever the job comes up there always seems to be some obscure French manager the FAI are keen on at the start.

Leeds are like the manager destructors. Present incumbent apart, for the moment!

Yeah, I was definitely running out of names. Smile

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

Kenny's carry on and outbursts in the last couple of weeks would put me right off; regardless of what he's achieved with Dundalk.

If he can't handle the pressure of being behind Cork in the league, he's not fit to be international manager.

As you said if we qualify, Keane should get the opportunity. If not, Hughton or Mick McCarthy for me.

Look at Kenny's managerial record at Rovers and Dunfermline.

Diabolical.

Hughton has done a great job with Brighton, but not so great with his previous clubs.

I'd take McCarthy back, or any other manager that plays attractive football.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Diabolical.

Hughton has done a great job with Brighton, but not so great with his previous clubs.

You haven't followed Ipswich much this year then, their fans main issue is the game is played in the sky.

He is very much a pragmatist and will play the football that gets the most out of his players. I don't think thumping it high all the time would have suited the 2 Keanes, Duff, McAteer, Holland etc.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 5:56pm
You're right I haven't.

But I was watching Ireland of old from 2002 and the football we played was excellent.

I know it's a different era with lesser quality players.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 6:00pm
Chris Hughton has to be number 1 but for him to even consider taking us over he'd have to get sacked by Brighton at the same time we're looking for a new manager. He would then appear a less attractive prospect to many. He's certainly the logical choice and we should jump at it when the time comes if he's keen.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 7:12pm
Have to admit I wouldn't be against getting in Allerdyce. I think he could do as good as O'Neill being honest.

Would love to see Robbie Keane as Mick's number two if we got them back.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 7:25pm
Long way to go before we talk of the next manager but for me at the minute Roy Keane is a shoo in.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 8:33pm
Hughton will be sacked by the new year.....he knows the drill
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Long way to go before we talk of the next manager but for me at the minute Roy Keane is a shoo in.

Are you saying that's what should happen or will happen?
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Diabolical.

Hughton got Birmingham to the playoffs when they were in the sh*t with regards money. Look at them now.

He got promoted with Newcastle and had them mid table when he was sacked. Look at them now.

He had Norwich five points off relation when he was sacked.   Look at them now. Mid table in the championship.   

Basically he has improved every squad he has been at and has all of them in better places then when he took over and where they are now.
AKA pedantic kunt
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 8:53pm
Any craic Baldrick?

Thought Blackadder had you doing solitary confinement in the dungeons again.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 10:51pm
Would like to see houghan get the chance.

But I reckon Roy will be next if O'Neil walks away after Russia.
Too big a jump for Kenny. Maybe the U21's and then assistance manager role.

killer kilbane View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 11:07pm
To be honest I hope O Neill stays but if he wanted to go I think Hughton is the stand out of the names mentioned if he wanted it. What bout Neil Lennon. Disaster at Bolton but otherwise has a good record and would certainly bring passion
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by killer kilbane killer kilbane wrote:

To be honest I hope O Neill stays but if he wanted to go I think Hughton is the stand out of the names mentioned if he wanted it. What bout Neil Lennon. Disaster at Bolton but otherwise has a good record and would certainly bring passion
no way neil lennon. Too big a job for him.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic