Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=55196
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 11:21am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Next Republic of Ireland manager
Posted By: TonyNotJack
Subject: Next Republic of Ireland manager
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 4:36pm
I think MON will leave after this campaign. I would like Stephen Kenny to get it, or if not Chris Hughton. It's almost certainly going to be too early for Hughton with Brighton finally in the PL. I think Roy will get it if we qualify for Russia. If we don't, all bets are off.

Could we go English again? Big Sam to redeem himself and show what England missed out on? Flash Arry' after he does a marvellous job of keeping Birmingham up. Maybe El Tel to come out of retirement like a phoenix from the flames if Eamon doesn't scupper him again, or one of the 'young' turks, Sean dyche certainly plays our kind of football. Smile  

Maybe Arsene would take a 7 million pounds pay cut if he decides to sack himself at Arsenal. Smile

Replies:
Posted By: belt
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 4:42pm
Kenny's carry on and outbursts in the last couple of weeks would put me right off; regardless of what he's achieved with Dundalk.

If he can't handle the pressure of being behind Cork in the league, he's not fit to be international manager.

As you said if we qualify, Keane should get the opportunity. If not, Hughton or Mick McCarthy for me.

Posted By: valo88
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 5:04pm
Id let Keane continue on the work of O'Neill if he was interested, wouldn't be any huge disruption to the team/squad.. Theyd know what hes like/what he wants and itll give Roy a chance to resurrect his managerial career.

Especially if he got a decent number 2 in, he can work along side and gain more from.

Otherwise id give Mick another shot. We'll really be back at another transitional period and I feel he could help us out big time blooding through youth. Have Robbie as his no.2.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 5:05pm
Keane; Still big question marks over whether he can be a good manager, he may well have found his level. He has mellowed though and it certainly isn't as outlandish now as when it has been previously suggested.

Kenny; Became a bit of a media darling in the last few years as results with Dundalk showed he could do no wrong, unfortunately has shown real weakness this year, attacking referees and trying to create a personal spat with Caulfield to deflect from poor results. While I don't think the option of a left-field appointment from the LOI should be ruled out, this one has all the hallmarks of disaster and there is currently nobody else suitable.

Hughton; Has to be first choice. He seems to have developed from the 'negative manager' the Norwich fans saw him as and finishing ahead of a Newcastle side  expected to walk the league is a fine achievement. A lot would depend on what his position is in 12 months time, how much he fancies international management and what sort of salary the FAI can offer.

McCarthy; Much maligned at Ipswich, wrongly in my eyes as he has got them ahead of where their budget would suggest having consistently lost key players. I feel if he left that Ipswich fans would be looking for him back quicker. Regarding Ireland, he may be a good short-stop for a campaign, a safe pair of hands who would keep us competitive. Far from ideal though.

McDermott; A star that briefly shone bright, at one stage I felt his appointment was inevitable, his spell in the Leeds madhouse has derailed his career and it wasn't helped by an uncomfortable second spell at Reading. His earlier achievements at the latter can't be forgotten though and it will be interesting to see what happens for him in the summer. I expect a make or break appointment at a lower-league club where a good performance would have him as a less expensive alternative, something the FAI will certainly take into account.

Sheridan; I take it we were running out of names? If we hire John Sheridan he will end up back at Oldham within six months, probably after another rant at a referee, like this one;
'You're a f****** disgrace, you're f****** useless, you've not f****** got anything right today, you should be f****** ashamed, you're f****** sh*t, my kids aren't going to get any f****** Christmas presents because of f****** you. Mr Sheridan then took his place in the stands for the rest of the game.”

Bielsa; Really running out of names. Insert block capital words here and generic SUDAMERICANA nicknames.

Some Obscure French Lad; Which one and what has he done? Not Troussier or Houllier though.

If we can keep MON for another two years, with Roy by his side, I think that would be the best option. Providing, of course, we at least make a playoff.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Keane; Still big question marks over whether he can be a good manager, he may well have found his level. He has mellowed though and it certainly isn't as outlandish now as when it has been previously suggested.

Kenny; Became a bit of a media darling in the last few years as results with Dundalk showed he could do no wrong, unfortunately has shown real weakness this year, attacking referees and trying to create a personal spat with Caulfield to deflect from poor results. While I don't think the option of a left-field appointment from the LOI should be ruled out, this one has all the hallmarks of disaster and there is currently nobody else suitable.

Hughton; Has to be first choice. He seems to have developed from the 'negative manager' the Norwich fans saw him as and finishing ahead of a Newcastle side  expected to walk the league is a fine achievement. A lot would depend on what his position is in 12 months time, how much he fancies international management and what sort of salary the FAI can offer.

McCarthy; Much maligned at Ipswich, wrongly in my eyes as he has got them ahead of where their budget would suggest having consistently lost key players. I feel if he left that Ipswich fans would be looking for him back quicker. Regarding Ireland, he may be a good short-stop for a campaign, a safe pair of hands who would keep us competitive. Far from ideal though.

McDermott; A star that briefly shone bright, at one stage I felt his appointment was inevitable, his spell in the Leeds madhouse has derailed his career and it wasn't helped by an uncomfortable second spell at Reading. His earlier achievements at the latter can't be forgotten though and it will be interesting to see what happens for him in the summer. I expect a make or break appointment at a lower-league club where a good performance would have him as a less expensive alternative, something the FAI will certainly take into account.

Sheridan; I take it we were running out of names? If we hire John Sheridan he will end up back at Oldham within six months, probably after another rant at a referee, like this one;
'You're a f****** disgrace, you're f****** useless, you've not f****** got anything right today, you should be f****** ashamed, you're f****** sh*t, my kids aren't going to get any f****** Christmas presents because of f****** you. Mr Sheridan then took his place in the stands for the rest of the game.”

Bielsa; Really running out of names. Insert block capital words here and generic SUDAMERICANA nicknames.

Some Obscure French Lad; Which one and what has he done? Not Troussier or Houllier though.

If we can keep MON for another two years, with Roy by his side, I think that would be the best option. Providing, of course, we at least make a playoff.

Nicely summed up.

Whenever the job comes up there always seems to be some obscure French manager the FAI are keen on at the start.

Leeds are like the manager destructors. Present incumbent apart, for the moment!

Yeah, I was definitely running out of names. Smile

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

Kenny's carry on and outbursts in the last couple of weeks would put me right off; regardless of what he's achieved with Dundalk.

If he can't handle the pressure of being behind Cork in the league, he's not fit to be international manager.

As you said if we qualify, Keane should get the opportunity. If not, Hughton or Mick McCarthy for me.

Look at Kenny's managerial record at Rovers and Dunfermline.

Diabolical.

Hughton has done a great job with Brighton, but not so great with his previous clubs.

I'd take McCarthy back, or any other manager that plays attractive football.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Diabolical.

Hughton has done a great job with Brighton, but not so great with his previous clubs.

You haven't followed Ipswich much this year then, their fans main issue is the game is played in the sky.

He is very much a pragmatist and will play the football that gets the most out of his players. I don't think thumping it high all the time would have suited the 2 Keanes, Duff, McAteer, Holland etc.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 5:56pm
You're right I haven't.

But I was watching Ireland of old from 2002 and the football we played was excellent.

I know it's a different era with lesser quality players.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 6:00pm
Chris Hughton has to be number 1 but for him to even consider taking us over he'd have to get sacked by Brighton at the same time we're looking for a new manager. He would then appear a less attractive prospect to many. He's certainly the logical choice and we should jump at it when the time comes if he's keen.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 7:12pm
Have to admit I wouldn't be against getting in Allerdyce. I think he could do as good as O'Neill being honest.

Would love to see Robbie Keane as Mick's number two if we got them back.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 7:25pm
Long way to go before we talk of the next manager but for me at the minute Roy Keane is a shoo in.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 8:33pm
Hughton will be sacked by the new year.....he knows the drill

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Long way to go before we talk of the next manager but for me at the minute Roy Keane is a shoo in.

Are you saying that's what should happen or will happen?

-------------

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 8:50pm

Diabolical.

Hughton got Birmingham to the playoffs when they were in the sh*t with regards money. Look at them now.

He got promoted with Newcastle and had them mid table when he was sacked. Look at them now.

He had Norwich five points off relation when he was sacked.   Look at them now. Mid table in the championship.   

Basically he has improved every squad he has been at and has all of them in better places then when he took over and where they are now.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 8:53pm
Any craic Baldrick?

Thought Blackadder had you doing solitary confinement in the dungeons again.

-------------

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 10:51pm
Would like to see houghan get the chance.

But I reckon Roy will be next if O'Neil walks away after Russia.
Too big a jump for Kenny. Maybe the U21's and then assistance manager role.

-------------

Posted By: killer kilbane
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 11:07pm
To be honest I hope O Neill stays but if he wanted to go I think Hughton is the stand out of the names mentioned if he wanted it. What bout Neil Lennon. Disaster at Bolton but otherwise has a good record and would certainly bring passion

-------------
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there

Posted By: Dugs
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by killer kilbane killer kilbane wrote:

To be honest I hope O Neill stays but if he wanted to go I think Hughton is the stand out of the names mentioned if he wanted it. What bout Neil Lennon. Disaster at Bolton but otherwise has a good record and would certainly bring passion
no way neil lennon. Too big a job for him.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 11:12pm
Roy or Hughton

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Dugs
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 11:12pm
Wouldnt mind mick taking it again. I dont think keane would take it.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 11:13pm
EL   LOCO BIELSA   

He wants to coach EIRE. He will   make   Brady Treqartista. Bielsa loves EIRE's MENTALITY

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 11:17pm
There's plenty of good young foreign coaches out there, I'd hate if we went for an unadventurous appointment if there were better coaches available just because "he's Irish"

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: JAVIER
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 11:24pm
After Lille`s gig ,  it could be Marcelo Bielsa,  if you make a poll he is gonna be in the preferences,...  El Loco, fancies to manage the underdogs....  and he gives the youngsters some chances ...

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 11:41pm

I wouldn't want him to get it, but Lennon probably should have made the short list.Even David O'Leary almost made it, but lost out narrowly to random French bloke. Smile

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 11:50pm
I always think of this when I see Neil Lennon now
https://youtu.be/LNJe42w5ilA

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 12:16am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

There's plenty of good young foreign coaches out there, I'd hate if we went for an unadventurous appointment if there were better coaches available just because "he's Irish"
Normally I would agree but unless we are getting somebody of a very high calibre we would be better off sticking to someone who knows the British and Irish game , this time around at least. For 2020 we will have another few key retirees in forward positions and we might need someone to be picking out gems in the lower divisions and hoping they can fill the void, unless one or two lads  decide to declare for us.

As for Lennon; no chance. Since he has left Celtic it has been very up and down and this year he has achieved the bare minimum playing awful football in a weak division, of course a win tomorrow makes the season look very good indeed but he will be taking them up with less points then the got for coming third last year.Next year will be a big one for him, Hibs will be expecting to be in and around the European spots and competing with Hearts, anything less than that, even with another cup win, and he won't be there in 12 months.
I don't think international management would suit his personality anyway, he seems to be the type of guy who very much enjoys the daily routine of club football. I think international management, in general, suits an old, experienced head.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 12:18am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

That is brilliant.LOL

-------------

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 12:38am

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

That is brilliant.LOL

Posted By: irish_major
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 8:26am
Thank god the Mick McCarthy love on here has died down.
I'd be happy with Keane or hughton.

-------------
Here we go again

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 10:31am
Assuming Hughton is in the EPL at Brighton when the vacancy arises, to suggest he would swap that to manage Ireland is not even a remote possibility. There are very few obvious candidates, I wonder if a Roy and Robbie double act is a possibility. My choice would be Mick.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 11:01am
Hughton did a a great job with Newcastle and Brighton ,If he keeps Brighton up next season he might be off to a bigger club, could be an ideal man for the job.

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Assuming Hughton is in the EPL at Brighton when the vacancy arises, to suggest he would swap that to manage Ireland is not even a remote possibility. There are very few obvious candidates, I wonder if a Roy and Robbie double act is a possibility. My choice would be Mick.

Agreed. I think most have voted in the poll for who they want to get it and not who they think will get it. If we qualify for Russia and then MON leaves after the finals, the only way Hughton will be available is if Brighton have been relegated/started disastrously and have sacked him, and as someone said earlier then his stock will have fallen.The keane double act could certainly be interesting.

I like others said would really like to see us play good football as the last time an Ireland team did was probably in 2002 under Mick? We played some good stuff under Brian Kerr with Andy Reid pulling the strings in midfield, but not enough as Kerr was much too negative in his one campaign. Good football is probably the one thing that would be guaranteed under Stephen Kenny, but his lack of top level experience and the risky nature of his appointment is probably too much. Still surprised he's got no votes.
If the poll had taken place just after Dundalk went out of Europe, or before the start of the domestic season I think that would be different.

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 11:12am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

That it should and will happen. He has served his time under O,Neil and matured- he has done a good job and deserves to take over if he keeps going. As I say though long way to go.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Posted By: belt
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 12:11pm
Lars Lagerback?

He's already been successful (relatively) in international football with Sweden and Iceland and I doubt he was on the sort of euros MON and Keane are. He's just after joining Norway but they are pretty much out of the running for qualification already

Posted By: darman28
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 12:20pm
If Martin O'Neill did leave after this campaign,  I think Roy Keane would be the easiest transition into the role as manager because he knows the set up, he knows the current players available to him very well since he has worked with them for over four years, importantly he understands the passion and pride playing for Ireland which is a big thing about us . Plus he would have a good idea of whats available to him in merging young players because he would have gone to watch most them play already from his scouting matches for Ireland anyway. He could be good for getting a few players with dual nationality on board with his stature in the game from his playing career? I really think he would need a good number two with him tho. I'd have Robbie Keane part of the coaching staff for now, not his number two as he's doesn't have the experience yet.

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 1:09pm
CILLIAN  SHERIDAN ..... & The boy   JOE MASON

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 2:02pm

That it should and will happen. He has served his time under O,Neil and matured- he has done a good job and deserves to take over if he keeps going. As I say though long way to go.

What, as a number 2?!

Keane deserves to take over based on his performance as a number 2 as opposed to a candidate who is a current manager?

That's ridiculous tbh.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 2:27pm

What, as a number 2?!

Keane deserves to take over based on his performance as a number 2 as opposed to a candidate who is a current manager?

That's ridiculous tbh.

How do you judge the performance of a number 2?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 2:30pm

What, as a number 2?!

That's ridiculous tbh.

Size and solidity are both factors but mainly that mild sense of pride you get when you look in the bowl.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 2:31pm

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 2:59pm

What, as a number 2?!

That's ridiculous tbh.

Its ridiculous? How so? Its as if no assistant manager has ever been promoted to manager before. I think your point is more ridiculous than mine. Keane has been part of a management team thats done very well and has been a manager before. Ok he didnt set the hay on fire but he wasnt disastrous either. I dont see why we wouldnt appoint him tbh.

-------------

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 3:07pm

What, as a number 2?!

That's ridiculous tbh.

Size and solidity are both factors but mainly that mild sense of pride you get when you look in the bowl.

....look in the bowl......outrageous

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 12:17pm
What about Michael O Neill

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 4:39pm
What about Steve McClaren?

I'm sure given time and preparation he could perfect a spectacular Irish accent for the press conferences.

Posted By: willmcc83
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by El_nino El_nino wrote:

What about Michael O Neill

In all seriousness he would be my second choice after Keane..

Unlikely he would take the job but the FAI would be foolish not to approach him

-------------
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 4:45pm

What, as a number 2?!

That's ridiculous tbh.

-------------

Posted By: OohAah...
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 12:26pm
I would reckon Roy is the natural successor providing the O Neill reign ends seen as a success. 

Kinda Catch 22 mind you as we only get rid of managers due to failure. I dont remember a manager retiring for us.

Anyway, Roy has previous experience, and so far has successfully served as No 2. Who knows he may even play what is seen as more attractive football.  He probably would always be able to call on MON for advice. ( I think his bridge is well and truly burned with Ferguson)

Finally I reckon it will always be hanging in the air until He actually does take over. So it may as well be following on from O Neill.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 12:30pm
Hopefully Hughton gets the job at some point in the future

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 12:33pm
I would definitely be Happy with Hughton. 

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 12:38pm
Agreed would like to see Hughton get the job.

If he does any sort of decent job in EPL then we could be waiting a long time.Might have no interest either having already worked for the FAI.

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 12:40pm
yeh, especially seeing the nature in which the FAI got rid of Kerr and presumably himself

However money probably changes everything

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Agreed would like to see Hughton get the job.

If he does any sort of decent job in EPL then we could be waiting a long time.Might have no interest either having already worked for the FAI.
Even if it all goes wrong at Brighton he will have plenty of options in the Championship.

-------------

Posted By: Rustybedsprings
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 1:36pm
Brendan Rodgers?? Surely worth asking...espec in a few years when MON goes

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 1:43pm
Think it would suit Mick. His club management career will be petering out i feel, whereas Hughton could still be riding high either with BHA or another and have no real interest.

The time off in International management is not always appealing. Almost suits an older fella. 

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Rustybedsprings Rustybedsprings wrote:

He is on around 2.5 million a year at Celtic, I doubt the FAI would fancy that. Things could be different when the time comes of course but I am not sure he would fancy international football yet.

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:01pm
Rodgers I think has said he'd be interested, but not till he's had a career in club football.

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

What about Steve McClaren?

I'm sure given time and preparation he could perfect a spectacular Irish accent for the press conferences.

I'm going through a few McLaren Irish accents as we speak but all I keep getting is his Dutch one LOLLOLLOL

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: baresi41
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:07pm
Rodgers would be a great candidate, but EPL would be top of his agenda when he departs Celtic. At least we would play good football under him. As for Steve McClaren, as Dunphy would say "a spoofer"

-------------
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:10pm

He is on around 2.5 million a year at Celtic, I doubt the FAI would fancy that. Things could be different when the time comes of course but I am not sure he would fancy international football yet.

What was Trap on? It was circa €2m if I remember correctly but I could be wrong there. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:11pm
Think the Ireland job is either for somebody on the way up or somebody who is looking to bow out of club management

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:21pm
Rodgers turned down the North if I can remember correctly around the time that Worthington left. Not a chance he will leave club football.

Chris Houghton be mad to leave Brighton given the fact many would easily see him moving on to a bigger club year after if he keeps them up should have never have been sacked by Newcastle many owners around would see that.

Mick McCarthy would certainly fancy it he wanted it badly after Trap left. Like few others have said we will be in a transitional period and probably will have to accept not qualifying for the next 1 or 2 campaigns Mick would be the man do to this he already done it after Charlton left.

Keane would be interested too I'd say and would have learned a lot as a number 2 and would have much respect of the players.

As for Kenny as much as I loved watching Dundalk past few years think this be a jump to big could see a similar situation to the Kerr era.

All hypothetical really though would MON really be interested in going back into club management it's changed a lot since he was at Villa. He had an awful time at Sunderland think he'd be mad to jump back into the merry go round of Premier league football at his age that's if he'd even get a job at that level again.

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

What was Trap on? It was circa €2m if I remember correctly but I could be wrong there. 
Trap was on about that alright, but times have changed and this would be more as you would have to buy him out and then entice him to leave, the latter being the hardest part as I doubt he has any interest in it.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 4:57pm
Hughton would be an ideal manager. He worked his way through the ranks. Was shafted by Newcastle, and has bounced back with Brighton. He'll look for a few years clubs in England before International duties.

Like Rodgers, has pedigree, so wait and see. I can honestly say, one of the nicest guys in football.Wink

-------------

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Hughton did a a great job with Newcastle and Brighton ,If he keeps Brighton up next season he might be off to a bigger club, could be an ideal man for the job.
Spot on Hughton was unfairly treated by Ashley he's done a cracking job at Brighton.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Rodgers I think has said he'd be interested, but not till he's had a career in club football.
Well you're half right:

Rodgers told the South Wales Evening Post: 'Managing Northern Ireland is something I want to do at some point in my career for sure.
'It's my country. It's where I'm from, it's where I grew up and it's a country that I love.
'But hopefully that chance will come towards the end of my career, and I hope that won't be for many years yet. I have got too much energy to be an international manager at the moment. Right now it's not something for me.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2048283/Swansea-boss-Brendan-Rodgers-rules-Northern-Ireland.html#ixzz3nmQ6WrpK" rel="nofollow - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2048283/Swansea-boss-Brendan-Rodgers-rules-Northern-Ireland.html#ixzz3nmQ6WrpK

See page 2 of this this thread for more (posts by Mwc and I on 06Oct2015)

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Well you're half right:

Rodgers told the South Wales Evening Post: 'Managing Northern Ireland is something I want to do at some point in my career for sure.
'It's my country. It's where I'm from, it's where I grew up and it's a country that I love.
'But hopefully that chance will come towards the end of my career, and I hope that won't be for many years yet. I have got too much energy to be an international manager at the moment. Right now it's not something for me.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2048283/Swansea-boss-Brendan-Rodgers-rules-Northern-Ireland.html#ixzz3nmQ6WrpK" rel="nofollow - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2048283/Swansea-boss-Brendan-Rodgers-rules-Northern-Ireland.html#ixzz3nmQ6WrpK

Spot on.. he'll manage either  North or South internationally. If it's North well and good, South bonus. If we get him for 2020, and Dublin is a venue, c'est la vie.

Ballymena  GAA manLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 5:51pm
When Rodgers was the manager of Liverpool one of his catchphrases in every second interview seemed to be "as a British manager." This always surprised me as a guy from not only a catholic background, but a family that was hugely involved in gaelic football.

Not saying he would never manage us, but he's definitely no James McClean.

Posted By: JAVIER
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 6:14pm
Brendan Rodgers  is the only irish manager who could lead the team for good....  the same for Marcelo el loco Bielsa.,,,he is the man

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 6:47pm

Well you're half right:

<font style="font-size: 1.2em;" size="5">Rodgers told the South Wales Evening Post: 'Managing Northern Ireland is something I want to do at some point in my career for sure.
<font style="font-size: 1.2em;" size="5">'It's my country. It's where I'm from, it's where I grew up and it's a country that I love.
<font style="font-size: 1.2em;" size="5">'But
hopefully that chance will come towards the end of my career, and I
hope that won't be for many years yet. I have got too much energy to be
an international manager at the moment. Right now it's not something for
me.'
<font style="font-size: 1.2em;" size="5"> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2048283/Swansea-boss-Brendan-Rodgers-rules-Northern-Ireland.html#ixzz3nmQ6WrpK" rel="nofollow - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2048283/Swansea-boss-Brendan-Rodgers-rules-Northern-Ireland.html#ixzz3nmQ6WrpK

I have a feeling Rodgers was just being diplomatic with that answer. I would be astounded if he ever took the job. The money for one would be a pittance to him. Same with the Republic.

-------------

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 7:21pm

Well you're half right:

Rodgers told the South Wales Evening Post: 'Managing Northern Ireland is something I want to do at some point in my career for sure. 'It's my country. It's where I'm from, it's where I grew up and it's a country that I love.

I have a feeling Rodgers was just being diplomatic with that answer.
No doubt he was being diplomatic etc, but it's also in keeping with other things he's said.

In that respect, I'd be pretty confident that his affinity is similar to that of eg Michael O'Neill, Gerry Armstrong, or Jim Magilton etc

I would be astounded if he ever took the job. The money for one would be a pittance to him.
The only way I could ever seeing him taking it would be (a ) if his club career nosedived, or (b ) he had basically gone as far as he could, or wanted, in the club game, and he fancied a nice job for his semi-retirement.

And imo there's no sign of (a ) happening (or anything like it) and as regards (b ), seeing as he's still only 44, that  is likely 20 years or more away.

Same with the Republic.
I'm not aware of his ever saying anything about the ROI job.

I'd like to think that all other things being equal, he might pick us over you.

But I can't see it ever coming to a straighforward/equal choice between the two, so that if simply offered the ROI job, and the terms and timing were right, I'm sure he'd consider it.

Same with the England job, tbh. Wink

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 8:03pm

Well you're half right:

Rodgers told the South Wales Evening Post: 'Managing Northern Ireland is something I want to do at some point in my career for sure. 'It's my country. It's where I'm from, it's where I grew up and it's a country that I love.

I have a feeling Rodgers was just being diplomatic with that answer.
No doubt he was being diplomatic etc, but it's also in keeping with other things he's said.

In that respect, I'd be pretty confident that his affinity is similar to that of eg Michael O'Neill, Gerry Armstrong, or Jim Magilton etc

I
would be astounded if he ever took the job. The money for one would be a
pittance to him.
The only way I could ever seeing him taking it would be (a ) if his club career nosedived, or (b ) he had basically gone as far as he could, or wanted, in the club game, and he fancied a nice job for his semi-retirement.

And imo there's no sign of (a ) happening (or anything like it) and as regards (b ), seeing as he's still only 44, that  is likely 20 years or more away.

Same with the Republic.
I'm not aware of his ever saying anything about the ROI job.

I'd like to think that all other things being equal, he might pick us over you.

But I can't see it ever coming to a straighforward/equal choice between the two, so that if simply offered the ROI job, and the terms and timing were right, I'm sure he'd consider it.

Same with the England job, tbh. Wink

Yeah just mean the Republic and NI couldnt offer him remotely close to even what hes on at Celtic. Just mentioned ROI as its a next ROI manager thread

-------------

Posted By: tonyjaa
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 9:24am
MON will stay

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 8:30pm
Jesus no please not Brendan Brent Rodgers. Would take Michael O'Neill in a heartbeat over Rodgers anyway.

Couldn't stand listening to him and we'd concede left right and centre. We need a more cautious pragmatic manager to replace O'Neill.

I've great time for McCarthy but would prefer a manager who makes us difficult to beat especially away from home and O'Neill has done that. We're also managing games better under O'Neill in that we may be flat in the early parts of matches but we generally seem to finish strong and look more likely to score. I don'rt ever remember an Ireland team doing that. We were always the more likely to concede a late goal after a good battling performance.

-------------

Posted By: manchesterbhoy
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

no way neil lennon. Too big a job for him.

even tho i am a celtic man no thanks

Royston of Keane please but get to Russia and have a good tournament Martin might just give us the Euros in 2020

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 5:10pm
I'd take Lenny or Rodgers over Keane anyway.

I never want to see Keane as manager. Just not good enough, and walked out on his country when we need him the most.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 5:13pm
Came back within a couple of hours and was then sent home but why let facts get in the way

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Came back within a couple of hours and was then sent home but why let facts get in the way

meh.

He got in a huff because the pitch wasn't good enough, instead of trying to get the situation resolve, he stormed off.

He has had issues with loads of players, his treatment of Walters was a disgrace.

He's a lose cannon and I just wouldn't trust him.

That, and he's just a sh*t manager.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 6:16pm

Irwin do you think Roy Keane's commitment/attitude to the national team was poor at times?

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 6:33pm
I don't think Roy Keane and his attitude to the national team has been discussed enough on here.

-------------

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 7:21pm

I don't think Roy Keane and his attitude to the national team has been discussed enough on here.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 7:36pm

Honest question but where's the evidence he's a sh*t manager?
Sunderland's most successful in recent times, struggled at Ipswich alright but look at Mick Mac, does that also make him a sh*t manager?

There's a good interview recent from Galway's Ronan Murray about what he's like as Manager, he's really, like really strict with Irish players but it's more of a wants them to do well rather than act like a twat but actually more lenient with other players of different nationalities.

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Honest question but where's the evidence he's a sh*t manager?
Sunderland's most successful in recent times, struggled at Ipswich alright but look at Mick Mac, does that also make him a sh*t manager?

There's a good interview recent from Galway's Ronan Murray about what he's like as Manager, he's really, like really strict with Irish players but it's more of a wants them to do well rather than act like a twat but actually more lenient with other players of different nationalities.
Massive difference between Roy's time at Ipswich and Mick's, Mick has one of the smallest budgets in the division and has them above where their budget would place them. Keane had a far bigger budget there and was able to bring in the players he wanted and keep his best ones, they were expecting a promotion challenge and he was no nearer than Mick was.

-------------

Posted By: Hickster74
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 10:18pm
Maybe Roy's a different man than he was then? Headstrong passion to logical progression (II)?

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 10:40pm
I think a JD led FAI would keep Royston at arms length. Nothing to do with his managerial abilities or lack of, just to stay on the safe side of things. They wouldn't chance it in case of a public row with him, which they wouldn't win, and probably wouldn't have the balls to sack him either if things were going wrong, so to avoid either of those situations, they will appoint more or less anyone else. Maybe not Brian Kerr though. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net