You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who should be number one striker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Who should be Ireland's number one?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [22.37%]
2 [2.63%]
0 [0.00%]
53 [69.74%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.63%]
1 [1.32%]
1 [1.32%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 3:10pm
Didn't know Kevin Doyle's mam was on the forum. Hello mrs Doyle.
Sponsored Links

grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Didn't know Kevin Doyle's mam was on the forum. Hello mrs Doyle.

Anthony Stokes parents are obviously here too.
The only way is up
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 10:08pm
I actually think MON believes Murphy is his main striker (and he isn't even in the poll............) and Long is his first choice sub. 

Injuries have prevented us from finding out if that theory is right, but looking at all those crosses going in from Hayes, Horgan & Brady last night, Long is an excellent header of the ball who tries to time jumps, take a step away from the CB to make a bit of space & place headers where the keeper cant get to it, but everything has to be perfect for that to happen, the cross, the run, the timing of the jump etc. 

Murphy will just go up there anyway, directly take on the CB, won't really give a damn what the defender is doing and even if he doesn't win the ball, the defender probably won't either. It won't look anything near as pretty, but it can be as effective. 

I said in the match thread last night that I thought the players who had their reputations enhanced the most last night (and throw in the Wales game as well) were Hoolahan & Murphy. For Long's biggest strength (his pace) to be utilised, you need either something of an accurate or lucky long ball, or a defence splitting pass at the right time. Whatever about the first option, the 2nd one is seemingly only something Hoolahan is capable of doing on a regular basis. 

He also seems to link up well with Long, as in the 2 seem to have a good understanding, Wes where Long will run to & the type of run he makes, Long for anticipation as to where Wes will put the ball.  Long doesn't look as effective for us without Hoolahan. 

Murphy is a whole other option, completely different player and not much movement, nearly none at all in comparison to Long. But lump enough crosses or long high balls at him & one or 2 will stick, and closer to goal, he will simply bully defenders rather than try anything too clever. But you don't need Hoolahan for Murphy to be effective, you only need a few decent crosses or long balls, we have been doing that forever as a team, and I think this factor will come in to MONs thinking in future games, provided Murphy is fit for them. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 10:38pm
Shane Long by a country mile.

On a side note, Jon Walters shouldn't be used on the wing anymore. He hasn't the guile nor the legs to do so.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
BlackKat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 10:38pm
Honestly should be Long > Murphy > Walters > Sheridan  in that order

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

I actually think MON believes Murphy is his main striker (and he isn't even in the poll............) and Long is his first choice sub. 

Injuries have prevented us from finding out if that theory is right, but looking at all those crosses going in from Hayes, Horgan & Brady last night, Long is an excellent header of the ball who tries to time jumps, take a step away from the CB to make a bit of space & place headers where the keeper cant get to it, but everything has to be perfect for that to happen, the cross, the run, the timing of the jump etc. 

Murphy will just go up there anyway, directly take on the CB, won't really give a damn what the defender is doing and even if he doesn't win the ball, the defender probably won't either. It won't look anything near as pretty, but it can be as effective. 

I said in the match thread last night that I thought the players who had their reputations enhanced the most last night (and throw in the Wales game as well) were Hoolahan & Murphy. For Long's biggest strength (his pace) to be utilised, you need either something of an accurate or lucky long ball, or a defence splitting pass at the right time. Whatever about the first option, the 2nd one is seemingly only something Hoolahan is capable of doing on a regular basis. 

He also seems to link up well with Long, as in the 2 seem to have a good understanding, Wes where Long will run to & the type of run he makes, Long for anticipation as to where Wes will put the ball.  Long doesn't look as effective for us without Hoolahan. 

Murphy is a whole other option, completely different player and not much movement, nearly none at all in comparison to Long. But lump enough crosses or long high balls at him & one or 2 will stick, and closer to goal, he will simply bully defenders rather than try anything too clever. But you don't need Hoolahan for Murphy to be effective, you only need a few decent crosses or long balls, we have been doing that forever as a team, and I think this factor will come in to MONs thinking in future games, provided Murphy is fit for them. 

I agree that Murphy has become his first choice  and it is perfectly understandable. He doesn't have Walters work rate or Long's mobility but his positioning in the box for crosses is far and away the best we have and is probably the best finisher we have too, hardly a ringing endorsement! When you watch him play he is always either getting his head on a cross or very close,compare that with the last fifteen minutes on Friday.
 He is also the best target man of the three because he doesn't move, you don't have to look up to know where Murphy is! He must be given huge credit on how he is worked at his game over the past year, I didn't want him near the squad 12 months back.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 11:30pm
How is Sheridan even getting a mention? Grand lad, honest as fook but only difference between him and Sammon is we can't pun Sheridan as well as Sammon.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

How is Sheridan even getting a mention? Grand lad, honest as fook but only difference between him and Sammon is we can't pun Sheridan as well as Sammon.
Because after Long,Murphy and Walters are options are all grand honest lads who aren't very good!
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 9:11am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed I thought I put him in EmbarrassedEmbarrassed
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 9:14am
Did it really take Tuesday night to prove to some people that Kevin Doyle is done?

He's been gone for the last 4 or 5 years
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 9:29am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Because after Long,Murphy and Walters are options are all grand honest lads who aren't very good!

*our Wink

Edited by Lenny82 - 30 Mar 2017 at 9:30am
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 9:44am
We only have 

Long (31 in Jan 2018)
Walters (34 in Sept 2017)
Murphy (35 in March 2018)

in that order.

We are fine for this WC campaign but in 2 years time we will have a massive gap up front.

The question should be who is likely going to fill that gap.

The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 11:24am
I think Long is definitely a better player but I actually prefer to see Murphy starting and Long coming off the bench, Long never seems to play aswell starting for us as he does coming off the bench, and can destroy tired defenders with his pace coming on around the 60 minute mark
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 11:35am
Its a bit of a conundrum because Murphy doesn't exactly bang the goals in for us, is it 1 goal in 20+ starts?
But he is effective enough in some games in the game plan that we play

djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 12:00pm
I would like to see Murphy with long to come on. however if Walters has to play every game for some reason, I would rather he started up front as brings nothing playing out wide.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 12:16pm
I said it in another thread but I think Robbie Brady could solve our short to medium term problem as a striker. Not the biggest fella in the world but neither was Robbie Keane.

We need to forget about these long balls forward to a big man and half the time I think having a big man up front makes it an easy decision for a defender to lump it long whereas with a smaller guy, we may need to take a more sensible approach and keep it on the deck.

Also means we can accommodate Ward, McClean and Brady v Austria.

Edited by Lenny82 - 30 Mar 2017 at 12:17pm
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

I said it in another thread but I think Robbie Brady could solve our short to medium term problem as a striker. Not the biggest fella in the world but neither was Robbie Keane.

We need to forget about these long balls forward to a big man and half the time I think having a big man up front makes it an easy decision for a defender to lump it long whereas with a smaller guy, we may need to take a more sensible approach and keep it on the deck.

Jaysis. That is a fairly mental suggestion. 
El Puto Amo
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Jaysis. That is a fairly mental suggestion. 
not sure it is. Has played as 10 for Norwich. Finds good space and an excellent finisher. Never in a MON team though. Same way seanie maguire has zero chance of playing in a central position.
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic