You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who should be number one striker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Who should be Ireland's number one?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [22.37%]
2 [2.63%]
0 [0.00%]
53 [69.74%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.63%]
1 [1.32%]
1 [1.32%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who should be number one striker
    Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 12:19am
At some stage his name will stop being funny, but that moment is not now. Courtney Duffas. Smile
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 10:56pm
There's been a lot of talk about our striking options recently, and whether or not we'll need to recruit foreign-born attackers in the near future; so I thought I'd compile a list of the strikers currently available to us in the top 4 English divisions, the SPL, and a few select others plying their trade elsewhere.
*(Only those who have made senior appearances included)

EPL:
Shane Long- Southampton, 30 years old.
Jon Walters- Stoke, 33
Courtney Duffus- Everton, 21
Sam Byrne- Everton, 21

Championship:
Daryl Murphy- Newcastle, 34
Anthony Pilkington- Cardiff, 28
David McGoldrick- Ipswich, 29
Anthony Stokes- Blackburn, 28
Joe Mason- Wolves, 25
Leon Best- Ipswich, 30
Reece Grego-Cox- QPR, 20
Frank Mulhern- Huddersfield, 20

League One:
Simon Cox- Southend, 29
Paddy Madden- S****horpe, 27
Aiden O'Brien- Millwall, 23
Dave Mooney- Southend, 32
Conor Wilkinson- Bolton, 22
Rory Gaffney- Bristol Rovers, 27
Billy Clarke- Bradford, 29
Joe Quigley- Gillingham, 20

League Two:
Noel Hunt- Portsmouth, 34
Eoin Doyle- Portsmouth, 29
Gerry McDonagh- Cambridge, 19
Rhys Murphy- Crawley, 26
Padraig Amond- Hartlepool, 28
Liam McAlinden- Exeter, 23
Pat Hoban- Mansfield, 25
Barry Corr- Cambridge, 32
James Collins- Crawley, 26
Rowan Roache- Blackpool, 17

SPL:
Adam Rooney- Aberdeen, 28
Conor Sammon- Kilmarnock, 30
Graham Cummins- St.Johnstone, 29
Dean Ebbe- Inverness, 22

Polish Ekstraklasa:
Cillian Sheridan- Jagiellonia Bialystok, 28

A-League
Andy Keogh- Perth Glory, 30
Roy O'Donovan- Central Coast Mariners, 31

MLS:
Kevin Doyle- Colorado Rapids, 33

All in all, with that list of players (plus a few guys in the LOI like Maguire, McMillan, Fagan, and Akinade that may be options) I reckon we have enough depth to get by for 2, or perhaps even 3 years. It would certainly be beneficial to bring a few of the eligible players on board though, and longer term it will become a necessity if our younger talents like McAuley, Hale, Idah etc. don't make the breakthrough. I'd suggest that Bamford, Jutkiewicz, Keane, and Robinson are all realistic targets. I think Hogan and Wickham would be harder to convince.

Edited by The O'Shea - 09 Apr 2017 at 12:28am
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

We've never looked better than when playing the diamond with two strikers up top and a playmaker in the hole. In the absence of a primary striker, it gives us to option of playing straight up to a big man to hold up the ball, or play through the middle. After this last round of games, I'm thinking the following for Austria:

Randolph

Christie Keogh Clark Ward

McCarthy
     Brady                McClean
                Hoolahan

Long      Murphy/Walters

Harry banished to the naughty step?
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 4:47pm
We've never looked better than when playing the diamond with two strikers up top and a playmaker in the hole. In the absence of a primary striker, it gives us to option of playing straight up to a big man to hold up the ball, or play through the middle. After this last round of games, I'm thinking the following for Austria:

Randolph

Christie Keogh Clark Ward

McCarthy
     Brady                McClean
                Hoolahan

Long      Murphy/Walters

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

said it before, but I think a 3-5-2/5-3-2 is the answer with the players we have - we can set that up as a defensive one or a more attacking one.. either way it protects us in midfield and still gives us 2 up front. 

defensive:

GK
O'Shea Duffy Clark
Coleman Ward
McCarthy Whelan
Hendrick
Walters Murphy

(very) attacking:

GK
Coleman Clark Ward
McGeady McClean
McCarthy Arter
Hoolohan
Long Murphy

It would be interesting to see this in operation. 3-5-2 would definitely allow us to play more of a passing game, and you'd hope that having a playmaker and two centre-forwards would give us a greater attacking threat.

I think a problem with a 3-5-2 though is that once you're put on the back foot, by the opposition, it can be difficult to get yourself out of it. Your wingbacks are hemmed in and you lose your width.

Our tendency to fall back after taking the lead in a game might make a formation like this more of a hinderance than a help.

In anyway, for the most part under O'Neill we have hit it long. I can't see him changing things now, although the next couple of friendlies would be a good opportunity to try a 3-5-2.

But if we are to continue with the longball, then I think a 4-4-2 makes more sense. Currently we are a bit 4-3-3 and a bit 4-5-1, and I don't think it is working for us.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

I'm surprised scott 'hulk' Hogan isn't included on the list considering the amount of f**king airtime he gets on here
Airtime being the appropriate word, on many levels.

LOL

Scotty's thread has recently broken the 1000 replies barrier. A major achievement for someone who's never actually played for us.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 11:59am
Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

I'm surprised scott 'hulk' Hogan isn't included on the list considering the amount of f**king airtime he gets on here
Airtime being the appropriate word, on many levels.
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 11:50am
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Can't see us playing 3 at the back anytime soon.

don't see MON doing it either, but I do think that system would address a lot of the problems the team has - it could, of course, throw up a lot of other ones that I haven't considered!! LOL
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 11:27am
Can't see us playing 3 at the back anytime soon.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 11:25am
Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

We dont have coleman tho.... and brady?

Balanced:

GK
Clark Duffy      Keough
Christie Brady
McCarthy Arter
Hoolohan
  Long Murphy

probably as good a team we could field in that formation, nowhere for mcClean tho

I suppose I was going for if everyone was available - I chose McClean over Brady for the left wingback slot in the attacking formation as I think you'd get more running out of him. 
I like your team too - I still might plump for O'Shea ahead of Keogh but really any 3 of our 4 best centre halves would do a decent job. 
The crucial thing is that it gives us a good attacking trio that will hopefully be close together on the pitch while still keeping the solidity in the middle of the park that we often lack when we push too far forward. I think it could help us to hold on to the ball a bit better too - we'd normally have spare players in positions other teams haven't covered due to the difference in formations.. 
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 11:06am
Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

The midfield is a problem generally for us, but at least with a 4-4-2 we can play a more traditional longball game.

There are some remedies to consider. When we don't have the ball Long could drop back into midfield to make a 5.

Alternatively, the answer could be to play with 3 in the middle and use only one out-and-out winger.

Or we could try and turn McClean into a box-to-box centre-midfielder. I know he's a winger, but he has so much energy and likes a tackle that it would be great if he could be converted to play in there.

And I'm not sure about Walters and Long as the combo. This has been the partnership most used so far, Walters on the right but pushes forward and tries to win headers, but I'm not sure it has worked.

Walters is not great as a targetman, and neither of them seem to be on eachothers wavelength.

Murphy has taken a long time to get going for Ireland, but I think he is a better option as a targetman for Long to work off of.

said it before, but I think a 3-5-2/5-3-2 is the answer with the players we have - we can set that up as a defensive one or a more attacking one.. either way it protects us in midfield and still gives us 2 up front. 

defensive:

GK
O'Shea Duffy Clark
Coleman Ward
McCarthy Whelan
Hendrick
Walters Murphy

(very) attacking:

GK
Coleman Clark Ward
McGeady McClean
McCarthy Arter
Hoolohan
Long Murphy

We dont have coleman tho.... and brady?

Balanced:

GK
Clark Duffy      Keough
Christie Brady
McCarthy Arter
Hoolohan
  Long Murphy

probably as good a team we could field in that formation, nowhere for mcClean tho
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 9:34am

The midfield is a problem generally for us, but at least with a 4-4-2 we can play a more traditional longball game.

There are some remedies to consider. When we don't have the ball Long could drop back into midfield to make a 5.

Alternatively, the answer could be to play with 3 in the middle and use only one out-and-out winger.

Or we could try and turn McClean into a box-to-box centre-midfielder. I know he's a winger, but he has so much energy and likes a tackle that it would be great if he could be converted to play in there.

And I'm not sure about Walters and Long as the combo. This has been the partnership most used so far, Walters on the right but pushes forward and tries to win headers, but I'm not sure it has worked.

Walters is not great as a targetman, and neither of them seem to be on eachothers wavelength.

Murphy has taken a long time to get going for Ireland, but I think he is a better option as a targetman for Long to work off of.

defensive:

GK
O'Shea Duffy Clark
Coleman Ward
McCarthy Whelan
Hendrick
Walters Murphy

(very) attacking:

GK
Coleman Clark Ward
McGeady McClean
McCarthy Arter
Hoolohan
Long Murphy
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 7:22pm

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Depends on the tactics.

If we play a lone striker then Long, especially if we are set up to defend and counter.

However if we want to play a more effective longball game then we'll need a partnership up front. That means Daryl Murphy as the target man, and Long as the quick man.

We get absolutely bossed in midfield when we go 4-4-2
We got bossed in midfield when we play 4-5-1 too! I think there is an argument to be made for Walters and Long up top with the former dropping in to midfield when the opposition have the ball. Let's be honest, if we are starting Hendrick it is essentially 2 in the middle.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

He has scored 9 goals  from 36 starts  and 8 from 37 off the bench. Of his five competitive goals, 4 have been scored when he came off the bench.
His competitive goals are:

Russia (H) 2010
Poland (H) 2015
Gibraltar (A) 2015
Germany (H) 2015
Moldova (A) 2016

Interesting. Cheers for that. 
I just added his penalties, I can't be arsed working out how many of his 36 starts were in competitive games!
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 5:24pm

Depends on the tactics.

If we play a lone striker then Long, especially if we are set up to defend and counter.

However if we want to play a more effective longball game then we'll need a partnership up front. That means Daryl Murphy as the target man, and Long as the quick man.

We get absolutely bossed in midfield when we go 4-4-2
El Puto Amo
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 5:23pm

He has scored 9 goals  from 36 starts  and 8 from 37 off the bench. Of his five competitive goals, 4 have been scored when he came off the bench.
His competitive goals are:

Russia (H) 2010
Poland (H) 2015
Gibraltar (A) 2015
Germany (H) 2015
Moldova (A) 2016

Interesting. Cheers for that. 
El Puto Amo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic