Ireland v Austria - 11th June - Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 56>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by cardwizzard cardwizzard wrote:

Jesus wept, you'd think we're bottom of the group not joint top.

Yeah it wasn't pretty, but likewise were unlucky in a way not to have won it.

I'd say Austria, Wales and Serbia are all feeling the 'what ifs' too. We'll scratch it off and go again.
We are not joint top, we are second.
Sponsored Links

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Ah SD will you stop. Any fool could see that what we were doing was not working after 25 or 30 mins. He should have made a substutution on 35 mins and one at half time. O'Neill makes a substitution on 70mins every single game nearly. Whats Hoolahan supposed to do in 20mins? He needs more time to revtify the mess that was put in front of him. Then he misplaces a few passes and hes the villain! Hoolahan should have been given at least 45 mins maybe more. Had he and Murphy been brought on earlier we might have won it.
Personally I think O Neill is tactically lost. No train of thought. The football is prehistoric. I agree with Joachim Lowe. Ireland kick it long 100 times and one time they scored from it.

The huff and puff and blow your house down approach.And he doesnt even get that right. Puts 5 in midfield and plays long balls! He is lucky he can whip the lads up because as a manager he has nothing else.

Sorry, actually, typo on my part Embarrassed since amended. I meant to say I didn't agree with the amount of time it took to bring him on. My bad.
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 8:40pm
Jesus wept, you'd think we're bottom of the group not joint top.

Yeah it wasn't pretty, but likewise were unlucky in a way not to have won it.

I'd say Austria, Wales and Serbia are all feeling the 'what ifs' too. We'll scratch it off and go again.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 8:29pm
Ah SD will you stop. Any fool could see that what we were doing was not working after 25 or 30 mins. He should have made a substutution on 35 mins and one at half time. O'Neill makes a substitution on 70mins every single game nearly. Whats Hoolahan supposed to do in 20mins? He needs more time to revtify the mess that was put in front of him. Then he misplaces a few passes and hes the villain! Hoolahan should have been given at least 45 mins maybe more. Had he and Murphy been brought on earlier we might have won it.
Personally I think O Neill is tactically lost. No train of thought. The football is prehistoric. I agree with Joachim Lowe. Ireland kick it long 100 times and one time they scored from it.

The huff and puff and blow your house down approach.And he doesnt even get that right. Puts 5 in midfield and plays long balls! He is lucky he can whip the lads up because as a manager he has nothing else.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 8:11pm
While I agree with the general consensus that the first half was pretty poor, it was poor all round. The Austrians only had one moment of quality and that was the goal.

While the second half started relatively poorly, it definitely improved once Murphy came on, and kept going. While it may not have been pretty, we definitely looked more effective and Walters was no longer as isolated. Murphy gave two out balls and increased the options, especially when the midfielders were not brilliant at providing options for the centre backs. Whelan was easily the best of the midfield three, whatever Dunphy, joe.ie, balls.ie or the s*un may try to tell you; he was proactive on and off the ball, which is a lot more than can be said for Hendrick, even if Arter played okay.

I thought Long was the better of the centre halfs. Duffy, while he got his head on plenty, was simply shocking with his distribution and brought trouble on the team more than once. The left back situation is still not looking totally settled, either, but even with his poor performance yesterday (and Brady as well), Ward is probably the best option. Brady was okay there when he went back but his best position has to be further forward.

Honestly, for the majority of the second half we were the better team, in my opinion. While Alaba may have missed what was, by his standards, a glorious opportunity at the start of the second half, the balance of play definitely favoured us. The timing of the goal shouldn't hide that. It might be a little bit of a stretch to say the goal was coming, but we were definitely stronger in the second half. We had a number of chances: the McClean one from the edge of the area when he really should have passed, the great tackle from behind on Walters on the edge of the D when he was about to pull the trigger; the actual goal; the disallowed goal; and the penalty shout. There's no doubt that, on many other days, we would have had two valid goals on the strength of that second half. If you score two goals in one half against a side like Austria, there's no way you can say it was shocking or awful or diabolical or any of the other slurs being hurled around.

Having said all that, I was quite surprised at the absence of Hoolahan from the starting eleven, much like many here. However, even when he came on, he did give the ball away a fair amount. He is definitely of the higher risk / higher reward category, even leaving aside the fact Hendrick didn't do a lot at all. I'd rather be 1-0 down at the 70th minute and have Hoolahan coming on, than be 1-0 down and have Hoolahan having played 70 minutes. I know that you're less likely to be 1-0 down if Hoolahan has played that long, but I do see at least why the decision not to start him was made, even if, on balance, I disagreed with it. That said, I definitely don't agree with the length of time it took to bring him on.

All said and done, things being done differently, without being glib, we could definitely have won that game, and we could definitely have lost it, and neither would have been unfair. It's one more game, without the gap to third being narrowed or the gap to first increasing, and there's still plenty to play for; that alone is a positive. I don't think we should lose hope based on the first half performance. With the improvement in the second, and the fact O'Neill actually demonstrated an ability to make tactical adjustments during the game that positively affected how we played (remember that used to be a criticism of him), along with the determination and desire to get a late equaliser and keep pushing for more, while I'm not happier than I was before the match yesterday, I'm definitely not devastated or as distraught as some on here claim to be.

On the basis of the second half, if we play like that again, we'll beat Georgia, have a great shot against the Serbs, and beat Moldova. 7 or, better, 9 points and we're almost, and possibly definitely, there. Roll on September.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 12 Jun 2017 at 8:51pm
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Originally posted by keano10 keano10 wrote:

Does anyone know where I could buy a couple of programmes from yesterday's game?
there's usually a seller from Scotland selling them on eBay.

Met him yesterday after the match, had an armfull of them! Was asking him if he got them for free or whatLOL

I suppose he makes a bit out of it but his punishment is he has to go to the Ireland games. 
keano10 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keano10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 5:58pm
Cheers for that. I had a look there but they don't seem to be up yet. Do you know his username by any chance?
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Does anyone know where I could buy a couple of programmes from yesterday's game?

Met him yesterday after the match, had an armfull of them! Was asking him if he got them for free or whatLOL
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 5:43pm
Anyone got a spare match pin badge or know where I can buy one? Fella didn't have any by the time I got to him.

Cheers lads.
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 5:22pm
Said it before, we are a long ball team that doesn't know how to play long ball.

Started the game kicking the ball to Walters, who had no support within 20 yards of him, and only changed things when we conceded.

Wouldn't have conceded the goal had we had a man on the post. We failed to score in similar circumstances as Austria had bodies back on the line and managed to clear the ball on a few occcasions.

And how is it that Hoolahan is considered good enough to play against the World Champions, Germany, but is too much of a risk against, low on confidence, Austria? We're in a position of strength in the group but we are now playing with fear. It's bizarre.

Hoolahan, Walters and Murphy all started against Germany and it would have made perfect sense to do the same yesterday. Walters was superb playing up the middle. Usually he's on the right doing lots of donkey work, but yesterday he was a goal threat too.

In anyway, O'Neill may not pick the right team or tactics, however, he is the world's greatest manager at frantic football. If we need a goal with 20 minutes to go we nearly always get one.

There's no intelligence in our play but we have a force of will that seems to save us time and time again. It's just unfortunate that we constantly put ourselves in the position of needing frantic football to retrieve the situation.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 5:15pm

"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Yesterday, and Im a big MON fan, was some of the worst football I have witnessed at the Aviva. We were hopeless for the majority of the game. We were lucky to get the equaliser then unlucky not to win it. Christie did ok and that was positive. Arter and Hendrick may as well have been in the stand. Duffy was rash. Ward a liability and only McClean and Walters got pass marks for me.

Fair assessment. This tactic of going out conserving the opposition and then going for the jugular at the end of the 2nd half needs to stop.

I will give him one thing in fairness. Usually we only go for it in last 10-15 mins. Yesterday we went for it from 60 onwards, if not before
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 5:03pm
Yesterday, and Im a big MON fan, was some of the worst football I have witnessed at the Aviva. We were hopeless for the majority of the game. We were lucky to get the equaliser then unlucky not to win it. Christie did ok and that was positive. Arter and Hendrick may as well have been in the stand. Duffy was rash. Ward a liability and only McClean and Walters got pass marks for me.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Actually didn't think Hoolahan did much when he came on, it lifted the crowd that was about it, was fairly sloppy with his passing...

He was on the pitch about 2 mins when he whipped in a cross that somehow didn't result in an equaliser
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 2:21pm
shocking first half given the circumstances , barely had a shot until 20+ minutes IIRC, long ball hoofs depressing . Not asking for total football or anything close but jesus wept we are muck to watch.  Lucky to get a draw, we are going to have to rely on another large slice of it if we are to qualify  - no belief in that team yesterday.

the bag thing, mixed reports and believe it is an stadium thing as opposed to FAI. Though myself it was only 'rucsacs'
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 1:54pm
Terrible performance by most of the players yesterday but by far the worst was Hendrick. Don't think we deserved anything from it.

We've only had two decent performances in this group and one of them was against Moldova. That needs to change rapidly.

I think we'll get two wins and two draws from our last four and we'll be taking our chances in the playoffs
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 1:51pm
Trapp was let go at the right time. He had totally come to the end of the road and his limited and immovable 4-4-2 formation, with the same players, and in some cases the bizarre selections. There were a number of players who were no longer available to him
As he decided he didn't want them around, in spite of them playing decent football.

He was entitled to try and get us to the World Cup in 2014, but I cannot understand how people are effectively defending him, and using MON as a stick to beat other people with. With little more achievement, O'Neill's reign will have been better than Trapp's.
shanecox106 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanecox106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 1:36pm
I know you can buy them on your phone and access them through your phone then. In terms of actual physical programmes i'm not sure
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 56>
  Share Topic