Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=55032
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 5:12pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ireland v Austria - 11th June - Match Thread
Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Subject: Ireland v Austria - 11th June - Match Thread
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 10:39pm
The good news is Arnautovic and Ilsanker are suspended for the Austrians for this one.  

They'll probably need to go all-out for three points, despite being away.  This might leave them a little exposed on the counter.  

We've no suspensions, but obviously sadly our captain will be out.  So long as we don't get an injury-list like we had for the Wales game, you'd have to say we're in with a good shout of three points....

Replies:
Posted By: GUFC_Andy
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 11:10pm
Bring it on! Bar the awful injury Seamus has suffered, we'll hopefully have a fully fit squad and there's no suspensions like you said.

-------------
Don't ban me for no reason, please.

Posted By: adineen98
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 11:17pm
I think we'll win. I'm gutted after tonight (feels like we've been hammered) but I'm confident we'll beat Austria. I do think it's important though that we beat them; I can't see Wales winning I'm Serbia. Ideal scenario for us would be a win against Austria and a draw in the Serbia-Wales match. Obviously, Seamus is a massive loss but we'll cope. 2-1 Ireland.

Pity the match is in June though

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 11:21pm
Moldova should have equalised with 10 minutes to go. Austria are no great shakes as we know already. Without Arnautovic they don't offer much.

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: Cathalthesmart
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 11:21pm
If we and Serbia win that would make it a straight shoot out between us and Serbia for that top spot which will make it pretty straight forward with us playing Serbia at home, that 2-2 draw away looks to have been a huge result now.

-------------
Hi Lads

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:26am
Lads what's the story with tickets for this? Will there be the option to buy tickets for this game instead of buying the duo package (this and Uruguay) ? If so when

-------------

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:30am
We'll win this.

I think Bayern will go to the CL final, I am a Bayern fan so it's biased of course but I think Alaba will be burnt out and wanting a break and not a trip to Dublin, he probably has Dubai on his mind not Dublin. Marko is a huge loss, that means in comes Janko who offers you nothing bar a number of crossed balls, Ilsanker is the big loss also he really is a key part of their midfield playing well this year too. We can concentrate more on Stabitzer he's their one attacker who could cause our defence a few iffy moments.

Of course, let's hope our team is fit after a dire spell of weeks.

Coleman is a massive loss, of course but I think Christie or Meyler can do a job in there. We need Scott Hogan, it's as simple as that. We've one back up striker if Shane got injured this evening we were doomed.

I think Colemans injury will tighten the group too. Give James McClean the armband until Seamus is back.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 8:27am
Our players who were missing this match, are they all short term injuries?
Will the one's who missed out yesterday be back playing with their clubs in the next week or so?
June 11th, another 11 weeks away!

Avg of 10 games left in Premier League and 8 left in Championship.

Austria are there for the taking as long as we don't have as many injuries as yesterday.
3 pts is now a must to top the group.

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 8:49am
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Our players who were missing this match, are they all short term injuries?
Will the one's who missed out yesterday be back playing with their clubs in the next week or so?
June 11th, another 11 weeks away!

Avg of 10 games left in Premier League and 8 left in Championship.

Austria are there for the taking as long as we don't have as many injuries as yesterday.
3 pts is now a must to top the group.

Clark and Duffy were both out for around 6 weeks or so, while Murphy and Arter had niggling injuries as far as I'm aware. Clark and Duffy should be back sometime in April, while Murphy and Arter should be back in the next week or so

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 9:01am
This is a 100% must win game. Anything other than 3 points and we will have lost all our momentum.

We should have a stronger team than last night but we must play with confidence.
That first half last night was absolute muck. We were the home team but played so defensively.

We must play with freedom and try to win the game from the start.
We have it in us to beat this Austrian team by two goals.

-------------

Posted By: djhegzy
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 9:15am
Lads who is out for austria? Seen it mentioned a few are suspended

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

This is a 100% must win game. Anything other than 3 points and we will have lost all our momentum.

We should have a stronger team than last night but we must play with confidence.
That first half last night was absolute muck. We were the home team but played so defensively.

We must play with freedom and try to win the game from the start.
We have it in us to beat this Austrian team by two goals.
I don't see anything that makes me think we can beat any team by 2 goals? What are you basing this on?

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 11:00am
If we can't beat Austria at home we can't have any excuse for not qualifying .

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:01pm
I always thought it would be extremely unlikely that we would beat Wales, Austria and Serbia at home, that we would drop points somewhere along the way, maybe even in two games.

Having used up one get out card last night though, you would think that we would really need to be beating Austria at home in June. Two consecutive draws at home would be a loss of momentum and could even be putting qualification at risk.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:05pm
We should have beaten Austria in 2013 at home, when we were going through a very difficult period for Irish football. We were always looking vulnerable at that time, and the team was trying to find its feet and identity as we tried to recover from 2012. That Austrian team was a better set-up and was more capable than it is today. We should be able to win this one.

Posted By: Peter Stöger
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

That Austrian team was a better set-up and was more capable than it is today. We should be able to win this one.

That's precisely our problem. We should be a much better team that we are. If we were a school kid the reports would always say 'Good potential, needs to apply himself more' 

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Peter Stöger Peter Stöger wrote:

That's precisely our problem. We should be a much better team that we are. If we were a school kid the reports would always say 'Good potential, needs to apply himself more' 

Agreed. But last night, we were suffering from our injuries, which nullified our most creative outlets before we even got out of the gate. I think with Brady and Wes available, and Arter able to provide his PL experience, we can rattle Austria here.

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 2:00pm

That Austrian team was a better set-up and was more capable than it is today. We should be able to win this one.

Our players couldn't apply themselves any more than they already do . We have never had a problem in that respect . Stupid comment

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 2:13pm

Agreed. But last night, we were suffering from our injuries, which nullified our most creative outlets before we even got out of the gate. I think with Brady and Wes available, and Arter able to provide his PL experience, we can rattle Austria here.

We can beat them. They're all over the shop. We didn't let Wales back into it last night but didn't knock them out either. We have to knock Austria fully out of contention in June.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: armahibee
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 3:19pm
We need to beat them now and I believe we will. Roll on june, no reason we can't top this groups

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

Lads who is out for austria? Seen it mentioned a few are suspended

You taking the piss?

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 6:12pm
Massive game this, a must-win.

Arnautovic and Ilsanker both picking up yellows against Moldova is a blessing. Austria were poor when we played them and now they're missing two key players.

What an opportunity.

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Posted By: daveyc
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 7:43pm
anyone know when the pre-sale for ST holders will be for this game?

Posted By: stokeirish
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 7:47pm
Beat them in Austria, no reason why we can't again

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by stokeirish stokeirish wrote:

Beat them in Austria, no reason why we can't again

Exactly, nothing special about them at all and Arnautovic is out. What exactly was the fuss about them for this time last year?

Serbia were there for the taking last september but MON didn't take advantage of it. Austria really are there for the taking in June, hopefully MON does take advantage this time (and hopefully no injury problems for us this time either btw).

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: Peter Stöger
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 12:10am
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Our players couldn't apply themselves any more than they already do . We have never had a problem in that respect . Stupid comment

I should have clarified, I was talking more about team to include management, less than optimal tactics ect. The lads givee a thousand per cent no issues there.  

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 3:18am

Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

I should have clarified, I was talking more about team to include management, less than optimal tactics ect. The lads givee a thousand per cent no issues there.  

Edited. Leave the name calling to the hero here

Posted By: ABFC
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 11:12am
We can't do our usual cautious performance at home and hope for a ball to bounce in their box. We really need to go out there and put in a positive performance and get the three points. We're not great but neither are Austria. They're missing their main scoring outlet so a draw would be a massive failure.

It's hard to see Wales getting a win in Belgrade so we could really find ourselves in a two horse race soon enough. Judging by how tetchy Chris Coleman was afterwards it looks as if he knows the final nail is coming.

Posted By: tonyjaa
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 1:16pm
............Randolph
Christie....Duffy....Clark....Ward
.....McCarthy..Arter..Brady
Walters......Long.........McClean

Captain McClean
Hendrick,Hoolahan & Hogan to come off the bench

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

............Randolph

Captain McClean
Agree with this!

-------------

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by GUFC_Andy GUFC_Andy wrote:

............Randolph

Captain McClean
Agree with this!

The back 5 picks itself.
I would have McGeady on for Walters.
And would probably prefer Hoolahan on for Brady for a better shape to the team.
We need to attack from the first minute.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 1:48pm
I'd agree with the team mentioned however I still would have Hendrick ahead of Arter, I really rate Arter but I feel that having him and Brady gives you a very unbalanced midfield. For me you need someone doing the defensive work (McCarthy) someone going forward and making things happen (Brady) and someone who can go box to box which is undoubtedly Hendrick, Arter would fall more into the Brady category.

-------------
Hi Lads

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 1:56pm

............Randolph

Captain McClean

Predeterminated substitutions

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

............Randolph

Captain McClean

'Predeterminated' LOL

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

............Randolph

Captain McClean

'Predeterminated' LOL

*Predetermined

Posted By: Mr.Mojo Risin'
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 2:22pm
I'd have Meyler right full ahead of Christie.

-------------
Ahh heya!

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Mr.Mojo Risin' Mr.Mojo Risin' wrote:

I'd have Meyler right full ahead of Christie.
Definitely.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: ABFC
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 2:41pm
Randolph

Meyler
Duffy
Clark
Ward

Walters
McCarthy
Hendrick
McClean

Hoolahan
Long

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 2:52pm
Anyone just listed to the Newstalk panel about friday's match? They finished looking ahead to this match. Kevin Kilbane said we will keep it very tight and be happy to take a draw, "to keep the 4 point gap between ourselves and Austria". The panel seemed to agree.

Depressing.

Posted By: willGUFC
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 2:58pm
In that case its a 2 leg playoff against probably a far better team than austria, why not have a go and treat this as our playoff, at some point we have to be more positive and try to win a game against a better team. We wont get a better chance to qualify for a world cup in a long time.

Posted By: CCFCBIG
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 2:58pm
Anyone know if/how to select the section you want to be in when buying duo tickets?

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Anyone just listed to the Newstalk panel about friday's match? They finished looking ahead to this match. Kevin Kilbane said we will keep it very tight and be happy to take a draw, "to keep the 4 point gap between ourselves and Austria". The panel seemed to agree.

Depressing.

Listened to Newstalk yesterday and they never once mentioned the suspensions to Arnautovic and Ilsanker. Did they mention them today?

Keep it tight? Couldn't agree less. Not a chance. When the dust settles on this game and people realise the permutations, they'll see there is no way we can play for a draw. Need to win, to try win the group. And we'd get ranking points. At least then we might be seeded if we do fail to top the group.

Dont fancy playing Spain in Madrid and thinking how are we going to get a result here, when we couldn't go for it against Austria.

This is the key point: If we can't beat that Austria team in Dublin, we have no business being at a world cup. 

-------------

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Depressing.

Listened to Newstalk yesterday and they never once mentioned the suspensions to Arnautovic and Ilsanker. Did they mention them today?

Keep it tight? Couldn't agree less. Not a chance. When the dust settles on this game and people realise the permutations, they'll see there is no way we can play for a draw. Need to win, to try win the group. And we'd get ranking points. At least then we might be seeded if we do fail to top the group.

Dont fancy playing Spain in Madrid and thinking how are we going to get a result here, when we couldn't go for it against Austria.

This is the key point: If we can't beat that Austria team in Dublin, we have no business being at a world cup. 

No, they literally just spoke about it for two minutes, but it was very negative.

The idea seems to be ; We are very limited lets try and draw most matches scrape into the play-offs and draw the 2018 equivalent of Estonia.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 3:23pm
Take a draw against Austria my ass. They are no great shakes and if we can't put them away without their missing players and possible injuries then we don't deserve to be going to the World Cup.

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 3:34pm
It does not matter 1 damn bit what any ex pro or journalst say's, it will be what MON and RK decide on how we are going to approach the game that will matter, the media do talk and print an awful lot of shoite most times

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 4:47pm
If we have the vast majority of our squad back and dont get an injury crisis similar to the current one than nothing less than a win will be acceptable, Austria imo have been terrible in this group plus with Marko not there than its hard to see how they can get themselves up for this game especially when you consider Ireland will most certainly be up for it, Austria's big advantage could be that because its a mid day kick off that maybe the crowd won't be as in your face as usual.

-------------
Hi Lads

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Cathalthesmart Cathalthesmart wrote:

If we have the vast majority of our squad back and dont get an injury crisis similar to the current one than nothing less than a win will be acceptable, Austria imo have been terrible in this group plus with Marko not there than its hard to see how they can get themselves up for this game especially when you consider Ireland will most certainly be up for it, Austria's big advantage could be that because its a mid day kick off that maybe the crowd won't be as in your face as usual.
Lansdowne road isn't exactly the most intimidating venue in the world, let's be honest, especially now we have the Old El Paso boys on song.

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 4:53pm
I feared the Austria game the least out of the 3 home games With them,Wales and Serbia. We've a better chance of beating them than Serbia IMO. Would be confident enough going into it.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 5:34pm

Originally posted by Cathalthesmart Cathalthesmart wrote:

Lansdowne road isn't exactly the most intimidating venue in the world, let's be honest, especially now we have the Old El Paso boys on song.

Its no Azteca but when the crowd gets going it is pretty intimidating but hopefully that Wales game was a trial for the band and now that they failed it they won't be back in the near future.

-------------
Hi Lads

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I feared the Austria game the least out of the 3 home games With them,Wales and Serbia. We've a better chance of beating them than Serbia IMO. Would be confident enough going into it.

I'd be confident of us beating Serbia if we have beaten Austria & Georgia going into the game.

-------------
Hi Lads

Posted By: JAVIER
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 6:20pm
i agree if we cant beat austria we cant win the group...this is the key game of the group itself...even more if  wales can get a draw in belgrado....weve got to win in georgia ...home vs moldavia ....   if we win 3  and draw  away  in the last  and  get a draw in serbia ...we might win the group  with  22

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 7:29pm
Arnautovic being out gives us a golden chance here. He is their principle threat

Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by willGUFC willGUFC wrote:

In that case its a 2 leg playoff against probably a far better team than austria, why not have a go and treat this as our playoff, at some point we have to be more positive and try to win a game against a better team. We wont get a better chance to qualify for a world cup in a long time.

This quote nails it on the head.  Do we want to have to go for the win against Austria in Dublin - or Spain in Madrid, France in Paris etc.?  That is the reality, given as detailed on another thread, we are likely to be unseeded if we come second (although there would be a possibility of a lower seeded team, such as Iceland or Sweden).  

Second, lads seem to already be writing off Austria.  Yes, they weren't fantastic against us.  However, but for a cross-bar and that lad Janko missing two sitters from the six-yard line, it could have been very different.  They have some class players, even without Arnautovic, so whatever happens, it will be tight. 

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 9:35am
Need Glenn Whelan to come off the bench to defend a lead, not starting the game going looking for a win.

Posted By: notpropaganda73
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 11:41am
Looking at the remaining fixtures, realistically this is a must win if we want to try and top the group. Add on to that that we've already beaten them, away from home, and why on earth would we be content with a draw? Nonsense from Newstalk.

Hopefully we've a clean slate with injuries and the like. Bring it on

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 11:56am
Long way to go until this one but I am of the feeling that O'Neil could well go cautious again. As in go out not to lose the game and hopefully nick a win.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Long way to go until this one but I am of the feeling that O'Neil could well go cautious again. As in go out not to lose the game and hopefully nick a win.

Sure that is how we always play

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 1:29pm
He has a massive decision to make on who starts wide left for this one.

-------------

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Sure that is how we always play

I wouldnt say he plays like that all the time. Away from home yes but we have had a go at a good few teams at home.Injuries on friday night no doubt played a part in the tactics.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 3:54pm

I can't see anyone but McClean playing on the left, would like to see Brady play more central.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 4:26pm

I can't see anyone but McClean playing on the left, would like to see Brady play more central.

Moving Brady into the centre has only really worked so far against Italy and that was a reaction to how that particular game was developing. A lot of the time he has played more centrally he has struggled to get on the ball and have an influence and you are losing his crossing ability. There is no question that left wing is Brady's best position, unfortunately it is also the position where our form player is most natural. I do think both will be accommodated into the team somehow, hopefully it doesn't impact on the balance of the team.

-------------

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 10:28am
Originally posted by stokeirish stokeirish wrote:

Arnautovic being out gives us a golden chance here. He is their principle threat

Ilsanker is a big loss too but i agree 100%,he is a focal point of their attack,this is do or die for Austria so they will go all out,i think Serbia will beat Wales so if we can win this it will be a 2 horse race.

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Posted By: darragh90
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 11:12am
Randolph
Christie Duffy Keogh Ward
Walters McCarthy Arter Brady
Wes
Long

If all fit of course. Then there's some great options on the bench

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 1:00pm
So are people still confident that we will be beating an average Austria after seeing the rubbish we have served up the last 2 games ?

-------------

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

So are people still confident that we will be beating an average Austria after seeing the rubbish we have served up the last 2 games ?
I'm not overly confident, I never am, but they drew with Finland last night and were far from convincing at home to Moldova. Plus they'll be missing Arnautovic. They're slightly poorer than us. I think we'll shade it but could well be a draw.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 1:20pm
It is the same old question really, where will the goals come from? McClean can't keep pulling us out! I don't think we will concede against Austria, made easier by Arnautovic being out, but I have severe difficulty in seeing us nick even one.

-------------

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 1:24pm

With no Arnautovic and home advantage we should battering Austria out the gate.

People worrying far too much about the draw with the top seeds in our group and a nothing friendly we put our third string side in.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 1:25pm

Yes, fairly confident they're missing two huge players people seem to keep forgetting Illsanker! 

We'll nick one from a set piece, full strength we're a lot better then what we seen v Wales if Brady had of been delivering some of those balls v Wales I'm fairly confident we'd of defeated them.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by darragh90 darragh90 wrote:

Randolph
Christie Duffy Keogh Ward
Walters McCarthy Arter Brady
Wes
Long

If all fit of course. Then there's some great options on the bench

Keogh should not start ahead of O'Shea or Clark. Walters is not a winger and I don't know why MON keeps playing him there. Either him or Long upfront with McClean on the wing. I do agree with you that Hendrick deserves to be dropped though. Still living off of the Euros and has done close to zilch since. Mind you, before the Euros he did close to zilch too.

-------------
The only way is up

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

Yes, fairly confident they're missing two huge players people seem to keep forgetting Illsanker! 

We'll nick one from a set piece, full strength we're a lot better then what we seen v Wales if Brady had of been delivering some of those balls v Wales I'm fairly confident we'd of defeated them.
How is Ilsanker a 'huge player'? He has only started one qualifying game, against Moldova, also coming off the bench once. He wasn't even in the squad for the game against us, despite being involved in nearly every league game with his club, 22 starts and 2 substitute appearances from 25.

Edit; he came off the bench twice and wasn't in the squad twice.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

People worrying far too much about the draw with the top seeds in our group and a nothing friendly we put our third string side in.

We just do not batter teams.
He means 'batter' in the Bradser Bradley sense; no shots on target.

-------------

Posted By: The Whisperer
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 1:51pm
Duo Package got for this one . Cant wait. ybig

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 1:59pm

Absolutely. Last night's game is irrelevant.

Only two players who started last night are likely to start against Austria.

Lot of fuss being made over last night, too much of an overreaction.

It was a training game, which ppl got charged to go to.

The anger over that is understandable, but last night still has no bearing on Austria.

-------------

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 2:02pm
Last nights game is irrelevant yes.

We need to show more attacking intent against Austria. Would be good to have Brady, Hoolahan, Arter and McCarthy all available for this one. Go at them from the start. I really believe that their heads could drop if we do and am expecting us to want it more at the Aviva in June than them.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 2:03pm
But the Wales game does have bearing, and so does the Iceland game to a certain extent.

The lack of goals in both games and O'Neill showing in these 2 games the lack ambition to go and win the game.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

But the Wales game does have bearing, and so does the Iceland game to a certain extent.

The lack of goals in both games and O'Neill showing in these 2 games the lack ambition to go and win the game.

1 shot on target in 2 matches. Puke stuff.

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: 10 Box
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

1 shot on target in 2 matches. Puke stuff.

Big time..way too conservative. Need to be less reliant on long balls. Easily capable of beating Austria by keeping the ball on the deck.

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 2:11pm

Iceland game has no bearing. An Ireland B team thrown together after one light session; completely irrelevant.

Wales game has little bearing. Was a much weakened Irish side sent out to try keep the ship afloat. Job done.

Of more significance imo is the Georgia home game, when we had most of our first team available, and played muck.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Yes but we weren't exactly great against Serbia away and Georgia at home so there is a bit of "previous" going on here that suggests we may struggle.

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

We need to show more attacking intent against Austria. Would be good to have Brady, Hoolahan, Arter and McCarthy all available for this one. Go at them from the start. I really believe that their heads could drop if we do and am expecting us to want it more at the Aviva in June than them.

Arter won't be available, he is going to Magaluf with the lads.

-------------

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 2:25pm

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Arter won't be available, he is going to Magaluf with the lads.

LOL

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 2:49pm
We want to win, Austria need to win. Usually one would cancel out the other and we would draw, however, unless we have another major injury headache, I think we will win this one!

Austria haven't been all that impressive since the end of their last campaign in October 2015 and Arnautivic is a big loss for them. I'd worry about Alaba but I think we'll have enough to do them!

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 3:00pm
From the 17 who played last night:

Westwood - won't play
Christie - will play
Egan - won't play
Pearce - won't play
Brady - will play, but not at left back
Hourihane - won't play
Hendrick - probably won't start, might come on
Hayes - won't play
McGeady - probably won't start, probably will come on
McClean - probably will play, but not up front
Doyle - won't play

O'Kane - probably won't play
O'Dowda - probably won't play
Horgan - probably won't start, might come on
Gleeson - won't play
Boyle - won't play
Long - will probably start, will come on if he doesn't start

Four of the players who played any part will probably start against Austria, and likely only two of them in the same position, and only one starter (Christie). Ten of them almost certainly won't play any part in the game. Three may well play a part. That leaves eight or nine potential different starters who played no part last night (Randolph, Ward, two from Duffy, Clark, Keogh and O'Shea, then a few from Hoolihan, Arter, Whelan, McCarthy and Walters). There is very little you can read into last night, put it like that. While the rankings issue is serious, and the fact fans are alienated by performances like the first half, it isn't necessarily indicative of how things will go against Austria. It's not like under Brian Kerr where we played to win in every friendly.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

From the 17 who played last night:

Westwood - won't play
Christie - will play
Egan - won't play
Pearce - won't play
Brady - will play, but not at left back
Hourihane - won't play
Hendrick - probably won't start, might come on
Hayes - won't play
McGeady - probably won't start, probably will come on
McClean - probably will play, but not up front
Doyle - won't play

O'Kane - probably won't play
O'Dowda - probably won't play
Horgan - probably won't start, might come on
Gleeson - won't play
Boyle - won't play
Long - will probably start, will come on if he doesn't start

Four of the players who played any part will probably start against Austria, and likely only two of them in the same position, and only one starter (Christie). Ten of them almost certainly won't play any part in the game. Three may well play a part. That leaves eight or nine potential different starters who played no part last night (Randolph, Ward, two from Duffy, Clark, Keogh and O'Shea, then a few from HoolahanAngry, Arter, Whelan, McCarthy and Walters). There is very little you can read into last night, put it like that. While the rankings issue is serious, and the fact fans are alienated by performances like the first half, it isn't necessarily indicative of how things will go against Austria. It's not like under Brian Kerr where we played to win in every friendly.
The biggest problem is that we seem to have less options after the friendly than before it!

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 3:25pm
Whoops, typo, sorry. You haven't been on top form yourself, PM, so he without sin, and all that.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Whoops, typo, sorry. You haven't been on top form yourself, PM, so he without sin, and all that.
I have made a few alright, there is a special place on gulag 47 for those who can't get the names of players on their team right!

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 4:57pm
Potential team:

Randolph
Christie Clark Duffy Ward
McClean McCarthy Arter Brady
Long 
Murphy

If MO'N is going to stick with the long ball tactics I was thinking maybe this team could work. I've gone with both Long and Murphy starting as I think they'd do very well together: rather than Murphy being isolated and having no one to knock the ball down to, if he has Long playing off him, he has an option to either knock the ball down to him or flick it on over the defence for Long to run onto. McGeady could also go in place of McClean, but I think McClean's strength, coupled with McGeady's below par performance last night, makes him the more suitable choice. McCarthy to shield the defence, and Arter (if he's available) to be the ball winning midfielder. Brady is much more useful on the left wing than at full back, and the defence picks itself. If we're in need of a goal, the likes of Hoolahan and Horgan can come off the bench, and if we need to protect a lead, Whelan and maybe O'Kane. Unless he seriously improves over the next few weeks, Hendrick shouldn't be near the starting XI. Obviously, the team will be influenced by form and injuries but it's worth considering. I'm not saying we should go with this team and that this is the way forward, but it's an option. I know the team has its flaws, but it surely can't be much worse than what we saw over the last two matches.

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 4:59pm

The anger over that is understandable, but last night still has no bearing on Austria.
So are forgetting the absolute rubbish we were treated to against Wales ?

-------------

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 11:26pm

So are forgetting the absolute rubbish we were treated to against Wales ?

It's a results business though. If we're solid and workmanlike against Austria, have two shots on goal and one goes in and win 1-0, most people would gladly take it (anyone who would criticise us for being on 14 points after six matches would be unrealistic).

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 8:20am
We clearly set up for the draw with an injury-hit side against a full-strength Wales. I was as angry as anyone at how we set up in that game, but in the cold light of day it's not a bad result. It won't be a good one either unless we back ourselves to go out and win the Austria game. Draw this one and that'll truly be two dropped, opening the door for the two teams behind us and allowing Serbia to get out in front.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 3:50pm
0-0 against Wales wasn't a bad result and to be fair, I can see why we went in with the approach we did given injuries.

Posted By: Hickster74
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 12:18am
If we don't beat Austria, first place is gone.

Is there no way we can stick their fans in a corner of east or west upper?

If anyone remembers, it was a serious factor for them last time they came. Their fans were hardcore and much much louder than us. We sat back and left them shooting towards the red noise in the north. They grew in confidence, eventually leading to Alaba's sickener.

If we're too lazy to organise that, we need to think about breaking with tradition and play into in the south first half if we win the toss. It'll wreck their heads more than ours.

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 6:42am

With the amount of players missing against Wales and considering where we both were in the group and the fact we play them away last ,a draw was a decent result,its silly to even take the Iceland game into consideration,Austria will fill their allocation,the media here has declared the game as a last chance saloon for them to get to the World cup,which it probably is,that brings a lot of pressure on a team which handles pressure rather poorly,they had a great qualifying campaign for the Euros,they were already putting themselves in the quarter finals before a ball was kicked,they have been absolute crap ever since they qualified,huge problems in defense,Fuchs retiring has left them with a big problem,conceding goals all over the shop and should have shipped a couple more against Moldova,Arnoutivic missing is massive,he is their go to guy,he holds the ball up well and links the play, Alaba has been out of sorts for almost a year,he had a decent game on the left side of midfield last week but it was Moldova,Ilsanker is also out, Coleman is a big loss for us but if we have Wes,Arter,Duffy etc back i really fancy us win this.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 2:03pm
Thank fook i booked flights for this ages ago,Aer Lingus flight to Vienna the day after the game is  400 Euro Ouch

-------------

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 2:15pm
Similar for our game there last year then. AL really fùcked up on that one. Plenty got return flights for €155 rtn out day before and home day after. They only realised about the game about a week or two later and the prices shot up

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 2:39pm
All the more reason to hope we win the group and not have to be involved in the play-offs.

If that's what AL are charging just over 2 months out from that flight that SL mentioned, I dread to think what the fares are going to be like for those play-offs at just a few weeks' notice. Iirc the flights were at silly prices even before the draw had been made for the Euro 2016 play-offs. Dead

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Thank fook i booked flights for this ages ago,Aer Lingus flight to Vienna the day after the game is  400 Euro Ouch

Surely that is principally Austrian fans returning not that surprising SG

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Surely that is principally Austrian fans returning not that surprising SG

Yep i guess so,i got mine for 56 Euro,i  was lookng for a mate who has just decided he wants to go,i expected around the 200 E mark  but 400 E is mental, i went to  Cuba in February for 480 Euro return LOL

-------------

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 12:35pm

Are the Austrians scheduled to play any games before they play us - From my basic German and searching I don't find anything. 

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

Are the Austrians scheduled to play any games before they play us - From my basic German and searching I don't find anything. 

Correct,their next game is in Dublin.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net