Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seanie Maguire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 53>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

<span style="line-height: 16.8px;">
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

</span><p style="line-height: 16.8px;">Nowhere close (or will ever be) for international standard football. LOI or a step up is his level.

</span>
</span>
Originally posted by Keano2000 Keano2000 wrote:

</span><span style="line-height: 16.8px;">You're not being harsh at all, you're spot on.  He's doing very well in a very good Cork side, as you said any decent LOI striker would be scoring a good few in that team.  He'll never be good enough for the national team.
</span>
</span>
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Maguire didn't cut it in England when he was there which is not a good sign but there's nothing to stop him developing and moving back over and doing well. Still relatively young.  I might throw him int he squad for experience and America was the time to do it but O'Neill balked.  The league has long been over so that's not an excuse imo.  That being said he's still not ready for competitive international football. I think that's obvious.</span><br style="line-height: 16.8px;"><span style="line-height: 16.8px;">
</span>
</span>
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

</span><br style="line-height: 16.8px;"><span style="line-height: 16.8px;">Maguire has had ONE good season in the LOI. Previously he has failed to make a single West Ham squad, and had underwhelming spells at Accrington, Sligo, and Dundalk. He also failed to display any particular quality when playing with our Under-21's. Maybe Maguire will be an option in the future, but at the moment there is nothing whatsoever to suggest he's better than what we already have. He's way down the list and the lovefest over him is as big a sign of desperation as I've seen in a long time.
</span>
</span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 16.8px;">Would any of ye like to hazard a guess as to how far down the list he is </span><span style="line-height: 16.8px;">now ? </span>

Have another go there lads. 

Once again you're talking sh*te, nothing said was untrue AT THE TIME. Maguire did not deserve to be in an Ireland squad at that time any more than James McClean did when he was at Derry, Kevin Doyle did when he was at Cork, Seamus Coleman did when he was at Sligo etc. etc. Just because someone isnt worthy of a call-up at a particular time doesn't mean they never will be, and I never said Maguire wouldn't be.   However 10 months ago or whenever that was posted (it's a little sad you seem to have saved them to drag out at some future date....) Maguire was well down the pecking order.

Edited by The O'Shea - 14 Oct 2017 at 4:15pm
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

Los Aros View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Los Aros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 5:04pm
Looks like its not just Cork that can't win without him.
SportingRizzlaCF View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SportingRizzlaCF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 6:17pm
Was at the match today - hadn't seen him in the flesh until this afternoon, he looks a serious talent albeit he wasn't on the pitch very long. Wouldn't have given the goal to him as it just nicked off him, but must have been going wide to be given to him. Good assist for their first goal mind. 

Came off injured after about 25 mins, hobbling off the pitch after a clash. However, he did come out and sit on the PNE bench in the second half. Hopefully nothing too serious given he looks very comfortable at Championship level and was playing against a good Fulham side with internationals all over the pitch.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 7:32pm

Once again you're talking sh*te, nothing said was untrue AT THE TIME. Maguire did not deserve to be in an Ireland squad at that time any more than James McClean did when he was at Derry, Kevin Doyle did when he was at Cork, Seamus Coleman did when he was at Sligo etc. etc. Just because someone isnt worthy of a call-up at a particular time doesn't mean they never will be, and I never said Maguire wouldn't be.   However 10 months ago or whenever that was posted (it's a little sad you seem to have saved them to drag out at some future date....) Maguire was well down the pecking order.

And how about 2 weeks ago, when you claimed Hogan & McGoldrick were ahead of him ?? LOL

And there is something untrue in your post, you claimed there was ''nothing whatsoever to suggest he's better than what we already have'' -this, having watched him for a season all of 5 years ago, was mainly what I disagreed with, it wasn't true then, it isn't true now. He is a different type of striker to anything we have, and very much an in the box finisher, and has an awareness of others to his game that Long, for example, simply doesn't, and never will have. Sure some other idiot (not you) said he hasn't an aerial presence, while he isn't the tallest, no Daryl Murphy, but he gets a decent amount of goals with his head for a fella his size, and challenges for all aerial ball regardless. 

Difference is now he is playing every week, scoring an odd week, and proving it. Not proving it to to me, or lads who watched him for Cork, like PM or KevinCronin, this was pretty obvious had you actually seen him play, which you clearly hadn't, at least not that much, and neither had MON at the time of your post. You can dress it up whatever way you like, but basically I said back in March that he was closer to the Irish team than most realised, you and others disagreed, but I have been proven correct by events (not just imagined pecking order lists) since. If that is talking sh*te, so be it. 

I honestly thought all he needed was a bit of a chance, and by that I mean an actual physical appearance in a squad, and MON would take to him after seeing him at closer quarters. That's why I was annoyed he wasn't in squad at end of season or V Mexico. Again, I'm not too far wrong here, as whatever he did in training in a few days put him ahead of Hogan, and took McGoldrick out of the squad completely, 2 players who were ahead of him according to yourself, only 2 weeks ago, and as regards McGoldrick, something you said in black & white you didn't think would happen (Maguire replacing him in squad).

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 7:38pm
Poor auld O'Shea brought a knife to a gun fight
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Those quotes might not yet be at the level of this one from February 2009 about Seamus Coleman:

Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

Will never play in the Premier League.

However they do have the potential to make some ppl look a little stupid. 

No surprises to see Trap Junior there, his judgement has already long been shown to be piss poor. He spouts nonsense, gets called out, and spouts more nonsense to deflect. This one is little harder for him to deflect from, but he'll try nonetheless.

It's a bit unfair to single out TJ tbh, I mean you were way off regarding Jack Grealish! 

I myself have been wrong on many an occasion, as has just about every person who has ever had an opinion on a player at least once! 

Edited by Green Devil - 14 Oct 2017 at 8:06pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 8:14pm

Those quotes might not yet be at the level of this one from February 2009 about Seamus Coleman:

No surprises to see Trap Junior there, his judgement has already long been shown to be piss poor. He spouts nonsense, gets called out, and spouts more nonsense to deflect. This one is little harder for him to deflect from, but he'll try nonetheless.

Easy to pull posters up on the like of this. At the time he moved from Sligo to Everton did you ever see Coleman play for Rovers?!? I would hazard a guess not! Because if you had then you would completely understand this opinion.

Maybe the poster is a regular LOI follower who had seen Coleman in the flesh for Rovers and just thought he wouldn't cut it. Ah but sure you wouldn't think of that. He was extremely, extremely raw heading over. A lot of people thought he would never cut it at that level. No doubt that has been proven incorrect now but down to serious work from Coleman himself.

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 8:33pm

And how about 2 weeks ago, when you claimed Hogan & McGoldrick were ahead of him ?? LOL

And there is something untrue in your post, you claimed there was ''<span style="line-height: 16.8px;">nothing whatsoever to suggest he's better than what we already have'' -this, having watched him for a season all of 5 years ago, was mainly what I disagreed with, it wasn't true then, it isn't true now. He is a different type of striker to anything we have, and very much an in the box finisher, and has an awareness of others to his game that Long, for example, simply doesn't, and never will have. Sure some other idiot (not you) said he hasn't an aerial presence, while he isn't the tallest, no Daryl Murphy, but he gets a decent amount of goals with his head for a fella his size, and challenges for all aerial ball regardless. </span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 16.8px;">Difference is now he is playing every week, scoring an odd week, and proving it. Not proving it to to me, or lads who watched him for Cork, like PM or KevinCronin, this was pretty obvious had you actually seen him play, which you clearly hadn't, at least not that much, and neither had MON at the time of your post. You can dress it up whatever way you like, but basically I said back in March that he was closer to the Irish team than most realised, you and others disagreed, but I have been proven correct by events (not just imagined pecking order lists) since. If that is talking sh*te, so be it. </span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 16.8px;">I honestly thought all he needed was a bit of a chance, and by that I mean an actual physical appearance in a squad, and MON would take to him after seeing him at closer quarters. That's why I was annoyed he wasn't in squad at end of season or V Mexico. Again, I'm not too far wrong here, as whatever he did in training in a few days put him ahead of Hogan, and took McGoldrick out of the squad completely, 2 players who were ahead of him according to yourself, only 2 weeks ago, and as regards McGoldrick, something you said in black & white you didn't think would happen (Maguire replacing him in squad).</span>
</span>
</span>

</span>
</span>
</span>

</span>
</span>

McGoldrick has scored more goals than Maguire this year, so he's legitimately ahead of him. And I didn't say Hogan was ahead of him in my estimation, I was referencing who I thought MON would pick, which is something he had said himself- "I've seen more of Hogan, so I'd be in a better position to judge him at the moment".
We're decent enough..
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by El_nino El_nino wrote:

Easy to pull posters up on the like of this. At the time he moved from Sligo to Everton did you ever see Coleman play for Rovers?!? I would hazard a guess not! Because if you had then you would completely understand this opinion.

Maybe the poster is a regular LOI follower who had seen Coleman in the flesh for Rovers and just thought he wouldn't cut it. Ah but sure you wouldn't think of that. He was extremely, extremely raw heading over. A lot of people thought he would never cut it at that level. No doubt that has been proven incorrect now but down to serious work from Coleman himself.

I did think of that, actually. So cheers for your assumptions but you're wrong.

Makes no difference. He called it then as he saw it, based on having seeing Coleman play LOI. 

At least he was making an informed opinion, whereas I'd question how many made such an opinion on Maguire.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 8:36pm

Says Jack Grealish's number 1 fanLOL 

My comment:

''Maguire didn't cut it in England when he was there which is not a good sign but there's nothing to stop him developing and moving back over and doing well. Still relatively young.  I might throw him int he squad for experience and America was the time to do it but O'Neill balked.  The league has long been over so that's not an excuse imo.  That being said he's still not ready for competitive international football. I think that's obvious.''

Firstly my comments on Maguire are quite accurate. I stand by them.  Your idol MON at the time didn't think he was ready either and left him out of the mickey mouse squads for America and Uruguay when it was absolutely the right time to test him out. The fact he didn't told me Maguire  wasn't in his plans.  MON only took him seriously when he moved to Preston and scored. Also I am a fan of Maguire but you have to cut it at a better level than LOI to be considered imo. Had MON brought him to America he could have tested him.  Boyle and Horgan were exceptions because they proved it in Europe against Bate, Zenit and Maccabi and Legia and showed that they didn't look out of place.   Richie Towell was the man banging in goals 2 years ago and there were calls to be included in the Ireland squad. He moved to England and couldnt get his game in the Championship.  You don't know they are good enough until they play at t ahigher level.  They all show potential but its delivering on potential at a decent level that gets you included in the Ireland squad.   Maguire has not been given a chance yet.  He may flop at international level, and he may also fall off the map at Preston.  You don't know how it will pan out anymore than I do.  David Forde did not stand out at LOI level.  In fact I know lads who played with him at galway and said never in a million years could they have seen him play for Ireland. They didn't think he's even go to England.

Unreal to see lads gloating. He still has a lot top prove and he has a good chance of delivering. But he still prove to be a flash in the pan.

Edited by Trap junior - 14 Oct 2017 at 8:46pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 8:44pm
Oh and Rolo here is a post I made on Coleman back in early 2012 when he was getting slated on here by  many posters

Originally posted by trapisblind trapisblind wrote:

Coleman hasnt really done much of late. Trap is right to stick to the tried and trusted lads that got us to the euros

Fair point. He will cone good though. Keep the faith.

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 8:49pm

McGoldrick has scored more goals than Maguire this year, so he's legitimately ahead of him. And I didn't say Hogan was ahead of him in my estimation, I was referencing who I thought MON would pick, which is something he had said himself- "I've seen more of Hogan, so I'd be in a better position to judge him at the moment".

Well, I could have sworn I saw Maguire come off the bench V Moldova for 10 minutes, and be listed among the many subs for the Wales game, while McGoldrick was involved in neither. But you are claiming McGoldrick is still ahead of him. Fair enough, that's me beaten, I genuinely can't answer that, or argue against it. 

Maybe you meant McGoldrick was ahead of him at the timing of your post, all the way back in the mists of time, 2 entire weeks ago. In which case, you were not wrong (I get the feeling this bit is exceptionally important to you), merely that I judged the situation a bit better. Same as I did in March...........

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

It's a bit unfair to single out TJ tbh, I mean you were way off regarding Jack Grealish! 

I myself have been wrong on many an occasion, as has just about every person who has ever had an opinion on a player at least once! 

He's playing in the championship, has just turned 22. He has bags of talent. Unfortunately injured his kidney recently and is out for a while.

If you expect me to back down on Jack Grealish and accept I was wrong, well then you'll be disappointed. I stand by what I said at the time. You'd swear Jack had just finished his career! If others are allowed time to see how Maguire develops, I'm allowed time to see how Grealish gets on. Not the time to be appraising his career.

You go on like I made some outlandish predictions about this guy. That I should be embarrassed about it.

I might just refer you to this article. Includes the views of John Giles, no more needs to be said.

John Giles: 'There are some players you only need to see once and this kid is one of those'

The RTÉ pundit wants Jack Grealish in the Irish team for the next Euro 2016 Qualifier.

Apr 24th 2015, 6:30 AM

JOHN GILES BELIEVES Jack Grealish is already good enough to start for Ireland in June’s crunch Euro 2016 Qualifier against Scotland and has urged Martin O’Neill to ‘woo’ the midfielder.

The 19-year-old starred for Aston Villa during last week’s FA Cup semi-final win over Liverpool and his performance has reignited the debate and confusion over his international future.

Grealish, who was born in Birmingham but has represented Ireland at underage level, is now at the centre of a tug-of-war between Ireland and England with Roy Hodgson thought to be monitoring his progress closely.

Although he’s been capped by the Boys in Green at U17, U18 and U21 level, Grealish would be able to transfer his allegiances to England until he plays a competitive international for Ireland.

But Giles believes it’s not so much about fast-tracking him into the set-up to end England’s interest but because he’s already worthy of a place in the starting XI for the visit of Gordon Strachan’s Scotland.

“I saw him for the first time last weekend and I think he is a very good player and a great prospect,” Giles told Newstalk’s Off the Ball. “If I was the manager of the Irish team I would want him in now, definitely.”

“I wouldn’t hang about with this lad at all. I would go out of my way to try and get him in.

“I’d get him in if I could straight away and I would put him in a competitive match – not just to qualify him. If I was picking a team for the Scotland match, I’d have Grealish in the team from what I’ve seen of him.”

Grealish’s stock has risen considerably in the last few months under Tim Sherwood at Villa Park. He has made 12 Premier League appearances as well as that stand out performance at Wembley last Sunday.

As Ireland player-manager, Giles handed 17-year-old Liam Brady his international debut having only seen him play once and he believes O’Neill needs to do the same with Grealish.

“I remember seeing Liam Brady for the first time,” Giles continued. “He played at Leeds in a match and I only saw him the once. That was enough. There’s certain lads you could look at 10 times and you think ‘no, he’s not so good’ but there’s other lads who are natural players who can come into the team.”

“Liam Brady was one of them and I think this kid Grealish is another one of them.”

“He’s only a kid but that game last week was huge and he looked like a natural footballer.

“We’re not gifted with a lot of players at the minute and with the players we do have, he’s good enough to go straight in the side.”

"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

What did this poster say regarding Jack Grealish ?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 9:34pm
Rolo, anyone can see Grealish has flattered to deceive and is showing no signs of becoming a top player like you made out he would.

Your words - Jack Grealish will be capped competitively under Hodgson

Grealish has 6 goals and 3 assists for Aston Villa in 60 odd games 

Sean Maguire has 3 goals and 3 assists in 11 games for Preston

For sure Maguire is a striker so even by removing the goals, you have a player who has just come from the LOI and who was rejected by West Ham as a kid, let go by Dundalk etc who has the same amount of assists in English football as "the baller" Jack Grealish

Grealish will no doubt go on to forge a decent career in English football, but I have seen nothing to suggest he has the consistency, nor the work ethic, nor the head (off the field antics) to reach the very top like you were suggesting he would. The top defenders suss out players like Grealish very easily, having a few tricks and flicks will only get you so far. 

As for the Giles article, players like Grealish come and go year in year out. Ravel Morrison is a prime example, a far more talented player than Grealish and has done f**k all with his talent, currently bombed out by Lazio to a side in Mexico.

Edited by Green Devil - 14 Oct 2017 at 9:41pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 9:44pm
And lets not forget Giles judgement isnt the word of Christ. Anuone remember his one man crusade to get Paul Jewell as manager??

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 9:53pm
A prime example is James McClean, who took the Premier League by storm in his first 3 to 4 months and he hasn't even got a hint of the skill set Jack Grealish has but after being sussed out by a lot of defenders in the Premiership, he knew he had to work harder than most in order to make it as a Premiership footballer.

For what he lacked in guile and natural skill, he would run more, tackle harder, put his body on the line when needed etc low and behold it has paid off! I have no doubt if WBA wanted to sell him tomorrow McClean would be chased by a decent number of PL clubs.

Granted Grealish is only 22 but he has a hell of a lot to do before talent alone gets him to where Rolo think's he will be. 

TioPepe View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TioPepe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 9:56pm
I'll make a bolder claim. 

Jack Grealish will never be capped by the English senior side. He will never make it to a top 6 PL side either. He has a shocking attitude.

Rolo the ridiculous mod, now makes ridiculous claims.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 53>
  Share Topic