Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=54995
Printed Date: 16 Apr 2024 at 7:40pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Seanie Maguire
Posted By: doherty
Subject: Seanie Maguire
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 10:12pm
If he keeps putting them away for Cork should he be considered. I thought he was a little on the light side but hes defo a goal poacher. Could be a possibilty in the near future.

Replies:
Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 10:15pm
Would make perfect sense to call him up to train with the squad with the view of getting him in the match day squad for the Iceland game.

Maguire will soon be back across the pond and playing in The Championship i'd imagine.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 10:28pm
I think another full season in Ireland would be best for him, he has come on a long way in a very short period of time. I think he can go on and have a similar impact on the league as Horgan did last year and Towell the year before, then it is just a case of picking the right offer. City will certainly want to keep him for the season anyway!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 11:16pm
Is he good enough for PNE? Continue the Irish select they're assembling..

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

im sure more clubs will be looking at the league now esp after horgan and now boyle settling in at preston. Im sure the preston scouts are aware of maguire seeing as they were scouting horgan in the fai cup final.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

im sure more clubs will be looking at the league now esp after horgan and now boyle settling in at preston. Im sure the preston scouts are aware of maguire seeing as they were scouting horgan in the fai cup final.

I haven't seen much of him at all, caught highlights of the game v Rovers and last season v Dundalk.

The more that can make the leap over the pond the better! Is the lad McEneffs at Derry good enough to make the cut? 

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 11:50pm
Maguire has something alright. Very good at dribbling at pace, and definitely got the goalscorers instinct. He should definitely get a chance, considering our options up front

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 12:17am
Doesn't really fit the O'Neill criteria of a big centre forward and able to hold the ball.
But at the same time I'd rather much have him than Doyle and possibly give the team other options, so it's a yes from me.

100% with PM, needs another season with Cork, possibly 2, let him build up the prodigy reputation Horgan had at Dundalk

Posted By: Bitored
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 2:16am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I think another full season in Ireland would be best for him, he has come on a long way in a very short period of time. I think he can go on and have a similar impact on the league as Horgan did last year and Towell the year before, then it is just a case of picking the right offer. City will certainly want to keep him for the season anyway!
I`d say that's Caulfield and City fans` attitude to it but from their committees view they`ll want to see him go into the summer in red hot form triggering a bidding war between championship clubs and get a decent fee. Particularly as the alternative could be him going for nothing in the winter.

I think your right about another season or possibly 2 being best for him. He needs to make sure when he goes to England he`s ready to hit the ground running. He doesn't want a scenario where he`s worked his hole off here to just end up back at Stanley or the likes. 

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 2:45am
Tbh I don't understand why we keep picking Doyle and not Maguire. Doyle is simply not going to start got us in a competitive international. Not saying Maguire will but he might one day. I think there is clearly more benefit in picking a player who might be something than one who is winding down his career, with all due respect to what a player Doyle was for us.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

I`d say that's Caulfield and City fans` attitude to it but from their committees view they`ll want to see him go into the summer in red hot form triggering a bidding war between championship clubs and get a decent fee. Particularly as the alternative could be him going for nothing in the winter.

I think your right about another season or possibly 2 being best for him. He needs to make sure when he goes to England he`s ready to hit the ground running. He doesn't want a scenario where he`s worked his hole off here to just end up back at Stanley or the likes. 
I am not sure about the first point, although it would be very much dependent on where City are in the table at the time. Maguire only signed up for another season meaning any fee received would be relatively small, certainly not big enough to be risking a league title over.
I do think he has to be especially sure about his move because of his position and style of play, 5 or 6 games without a goal or failing to impress as a sub when the ball is flying over his head and he could find himself back on loan in League Two and starting all over again.
I know it has almost become cliché to say this but I think a move to Belgium would suit him. He was linked with Genk after City played them last year and I think his style , personality and attitude would be suitable. 
Of course there are dangers with that too, ask Dominic Foley if doing well in Belgium guarantees anybody at home will notice!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:25am
This is a no brainer for me now, best forward we have afterlong and walters, surely his inclusion in the squad for the games v Mexico and Uruguay can only benifit his development as a future starter.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: ccfcmurphy
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:56am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

This is a no brainer for me now, best forward we have afterlong and walters, surely his inclusion in the squad for the games v Mexico and Uruguay can only benifit his development as a future starter.

+1

-------------
There's no point being the richest man in the graveyard

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 10:39am

He's an unknown at that level. Horgan only made the step up when he showed potential in the Championship. I've no doubt at all Maguire has the potential to score goals in higher European...

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 10:42am
He should have been in the squad at the very least

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 11:21am
They should take a look at him, at the least. We're completely out of options up top. Last night was the ideal opportunity to try Maguire, Sheridan, Rooney and whoever else

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 11:53am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

He should have been in the squad at the very least
He could have been called up like Gleeson was, the fact that MON has been very slow to look at players in problem positions is quite frustrating.

-------------

Posted By: adineen98
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 12:01pm
If Maguire keeps up his current form there is no reason why he shouldn't be included, LOI or not. It'd be no harm getting him in for the June friendlies.

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 12:16pm
Anyone else think that for the Mexico game we could have a completely different squad?

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 4:44pm
No, I think a few Championship players will get a run out, especially those who don't make the playoffs (Derby, Preston and Norwich could well all miss out).

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

No, I think a few Championship players will get a run out, especially those who don't make the playoffs (Derby, Preston and Norwich could well all miss out).
Derby and Norwich have already written the season off, Preston still seem to be holding onto hope but that is because they have overachieved.

-------------

Posted By: Bitored
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 5:29pm
I`d say Maguire saw Horgan and Boyle getting capped last night and he`ll be thinking inside the next 6-12months that could be him.
I think right now Maguire has more to offer the international set up (youth and predatory instincts) than Kevin Doyle.
It will probably take a stellar showing in Europe this year/a move to the Championship before he gets recognition.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 5:59pm

I`d say Maguire saw Horgan and Boyle getting capped last night and he`ll be thinking inside the next 6-12months that could be him.
I think right now Maguire has more to offer the international set up (youth and predatory instincts) than Kevin Doyle.
It will probably take a stellar showing in Europe this year/a move to the Championship before he gets recognition.

How can you possibly know that? Maguire has had ONE good season in the LOI. Previously he has failed to make a single West Ham squad, and had underwhelming spells at Accrington, Sligo, and Dundalk. He also failed to display any particular quality when playing with our Under-21's. Maybe Maguire will be an option in the future, but at the moment there is nothing whatsoever to suggest he's better than what we already have. He's way down the list and the lovefest over him is as big a sign of desperation as I've seen in a long time.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

How can you possibly know that? Maguire has had ONE good season in the LOI. Previously he has failed to make a single West Ham squad, and had underwhelming spells at Accrington, Sligo, and Dundalk. He also failed to display any particular quality when playing with our Under-21's. Maybe Maguire will be an option in the future, but at the moment there is nothing whatsoever to suggest he's better than what we already have. He's way down the list and the lovefest over him is as big a sign of desperation as I've seen in a long time.

This.Thumbs Up People getting desperate about this lad because we are in dire need of a striker.

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: daveyc
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

This.Thumbs Up People getting desperate about this lad because we are in dire need of a striker.

exactly we are desperate Doyle is brutal and not getting any better at this stage.

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:01pm
The situation is beyond desperate, we were desperate a while back! Our first choice strikers are all of over 30 and all have their weaknesses, then we have the likes of Rooney,Stokes, Sammon and Sheridan, who probably aren't good enough but deserve a look due to the desperation factor and, after that, absolutely nothing!
You are looking at Cox, Madden,Mooney,  Amond and Reece Grego-Cox! 

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:16pm
I am not sugesting he plays versus Austria, this lad has potential, he has scored goals for fun for the past 18 months in the league of ireland, europa league and for the republic of ireland u21's. International football is a big step up but no harm having him around the squad.Doyle didnt make it to euro2016 he will be less efective by 2018 maguire is at least heading in the other direction.

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:18pm
Did he score in the EL?

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:28pm
None for West Ham (no appearances...), 7 in 33 for Accrington. Coupled with 1 in 18 for Sligo, 0 in 6 for Dundalk, and 1 in 10 for the under-21's, it might suggest people are getting a tad carried away. In terms of his scoring exploits last year, it's not entirely dissimilar to what Amond did, the only major difference in Maguires favour being that he is younger.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Did he score in the EL?

El = Europa League 3 goals in six games

-------------

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:46pm

The situation is beyond desperate, we were desperate a while back! Our first choice strikers are all of over 30 and all have their weaknesses, then we have the likes of Rooney,Stokes, Sammon and Sheridan, who probably aren't good enough but deserve a look due to the desperation factor and, after that, absolutely nothing!

This is something MON had 4 years to solve and saw coming or at least should have seen. His priority seems to be the immediate now though and not about the future.

-------------
The only way is up

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:47pm

None for West Ham (no appearances...), 7 in 33 for Accrington. Coupled with 1 in 18 for Sligo, 0 in 6 for Dundalk, and 1 in 10 for the under-21's, it might suggest people are getting a tad carried away. In terms of his scoring exploits last year, it's not entirely dissimilar to what Amond did, the only major difference in Maguires favour being that he is younger.
And far, far better, if you ever watched the two of them!  It is funny that you mention Amond as he must be about 7/8 choice for Ireland at the moment. I agree it has taken a while for him to settle in places but Caulfield has put faith in him and got the best out of him, while the lad has developed physically and mentally. He only started one game for Dundalk and needed the arm around the shoulder and I think he has got that.
In an ideal world there shouldn't even be a debate about him playing for Ireland, it is solely out of desperation, but we have to look at all our options. I was hugely frustrated that Rooney wasn't involved last night, even though I doubt he is good enough!At the moment we are a couple of injuries away from recalling the likes of  Cox or Sammon and I don't think either of those would ever put in a performance like Seanie did away to a team who are now in the Europa League quarter-finals.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:55pm

This is something MON had 4 years to solve and saw coming or at least should have seen. His priority seems to be the immediate now though and not about the future.

Agree, he is very much a man for the moment and always has been, he left Celtic in a very poor state considering what he had achieved there.
I am not going to criticise him too much, he has done very well with a fairly average group of players and I do wonder if some of these friendly matches are of any interest to him at all. I just wish that he made more use of them.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:01pm

And far, far better, if you ever watched the two of them!  It is funny that you mention Amond as he must be about 7/8 choice for Ireland at the moment. I agree it has taken a while for him to settle in places but Caulfield has put faith in him and got the best out of him, while the lad has developed physically and mentally. He only started one game for Dundalk and needed the arm around the shoulder and I think he has got that.
In an ideal world there shouldn't even be a debate about him playing for Ireland, it is solely out of desperation, but we have to look at all our options. I was hugely frustrated that Rooney wasn't involved last night, even though I doubt he is good enough!At the moment we are a couple of injuries away from recalling the likes of  Cox or Sammon and I don't think either of those would ever put in a performance like Seanie did away to a team who are now in the Europa League quarter-finals.

I can't see Amond as being anywhere close to 7th/8th choice. You have the likes of Long, Walters, Murphy, McGoldrick, Rooney, Doyle, Sheridan, Cox, Madden, O'Brien, Mason and so on all certainly ahead of him, and then guys like Best, Eoin Doyle, and Sammon who are probably even ahead of him too. Our situation ain't great, but it's not bad enough for Amond to be anywhere near our top 10 strikers....

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:08pm

I can't see Amond as being anywhere close to 7th/8th choice. You have the likes of Long, Walters, Murphy, McGoldrick, Rooney, Doyle, Sheridan, Cox, Madden, O'Brien, Mason and so on all certainly ahead of him, and then guys like Best, Eoin Doyle, and Sammon who are probably even ahead of him too. Our situation ain't great, but it's not bad enough for Amond to be anywhere near our top 10 strikers....
Definitely need an old sarcasm font on here alright!

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 10:25pm

Why look at his past?

Why not look at right now?

Maguire is in superb form, over last season and into this season he has been scoring all sorts of goals be it with his head, tap ins and goals that are down to individual brilliance in its own right.

What is there to lose by giving him 45 minutes in a friendly? What is to learn out of playing Simox Cox, Kevin Doyle or Daryl Murphy for argument sake? 

The way you've spoken, you would swear we were looking for Maguire to start against Wales the other evening.......

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Posted By: max
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 11:31pm
Far more to gain than to loose, throwing him in the squad for the Mexico game, rather than allowing some of the tried and tested strikers again. Wonder how Cork would feel about it.

Posted By: DalyerRegular
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 11:56pm

Agree, he is very much a man for the moment and always has been, he left Celtic in a very poor state considering what he had achieved there.
I am not going to criticise him too much, he has done very well with a fairly average group of players and I do wonder if some of these friendly matches are of any interest to him at all. I just wish that he made more use of them.
Of the 40 players to have played at least once for us in the last 12 months, only one is under the age of 24 (O'Dowda)

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 8:27am
I'd rather put Maguire in a squad based on what he's shown so far being indicative of what he might one day be for us (obviously no guarantee) than Doyle based on what he has been for us and will not be again. Obviously Doyle was a very good player for us in his day but he looks finished at this level and is only going one way. 
We don't know if Maguire is up to this level or if he ever will be. But it was the same with Horgan, the lad now getting his game in the Championship and impressing, to the surprise of few, if any who had seen him play. What's the harm in including him instead of Doyle? I don't mean to pick on Doyle but he is the main example of a player who is no longer up to this level and is only on the decline.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 9:30am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

I'd rather put Maguire in a squad based on what he's shown so far being indicative of what he might one day be for us (obviously no guarantee) than Doyle based on what he has been for us and will not be again. Obviously Doyle was a very good player for us in his day but he looks finished at this level and is only going one way. 
We don't know if Maguire is up to this level or if he ever will be. But it was the same with Horgan, the lad now getting his game in the Championship and impressing, to the surprise of few, if any who had seen him play. What's the harm in including him instead of Doyle? I don't mean to pick on Doyle but he is the main example of a player who is no longer up to this level and is only on the decline.

That's it exactly. I'm not heralding Maguire as the messiah either. But sometimes it's better the devil you don't know, particularly in friendlies. Doyler is done, we don't know what Maguire has to offer at international level so there's no harm in having a look at him. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 9:48am
His current form cant be overlooked get the man in the squad against Mexico , it would work wonders for him and the league of Ireland.
Everyone moaning on about how poor his previous scoring records are but are mad about Daryl 1 in 23 Murphy

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 11:40am
*old source, didn't think it made sense

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 11:45am
I say call him up, but we'd still be hitting long balls up to him against 6ft 4in Icelandic center halves

-------------

Posted By: engpad
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 1:20pm

[/QUOTE]

How can you possibly know that? Maguire has had ONE good season in the LOI. Previously he has failed to make a single West Ham squad, and had underwhelming spells at Accrington, Sligo, and Dundalk. He also failed to display any particular quality when playing with our Under-21's. Maybe Maguire will be an option in the future, but at the moment there is nothing whatsoever to suggest he's better than what we already have. He's way down the list and the lovefest over him is as big a sign of desperation as I've seen in a long time.[/QUOTE]

He did make one West Ham squad when they played Forest in the cup a few years back actually. 

But that's much of a muchness, for a lad his age he's played a lot of football. He's played a fair bit of LOI, both 1st Division and Premier, spent time in a top academy in England, experienced League 2 football, gained good under-age international experience and played European football with Cork, really impressing in both games vs Genk. 

Yes, he's probably a fair bit down the pecking order, but given his age and our lack of depth up front he needs to be considered. 

Posted By: Steve1983
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 10:26pm

Did he score in the EL?

3 penalties, 2 against Linfield and the other against some Swedish team IIRC.  The lad is absolutely miles off international standard.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 9:48am
Being linked with Charlton and Preston ...

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Steve1983 Steve1983 wrote:

Did he score in the EL?

3 penalties, 2 against Linfield and the other against some Swedish team IIRC.  The lad is absolutely miles off international standard.
As are most of the strikers in our squad with the exception of Long and Walters. Have you seen Seanie play this year? Go to a game and watch him. His Strenght, his workrate, his first touch and his runs off the ball are a good few steps ahead of what is the norm in the League of Ireland. Im not saying he is the next Robbie Keane but is worth a look at in the friendlies v Mexico or Uruguay.

-------------

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 11:10pm
Wouldn't be too sure he MON's type of player at all, but wouldn't be against calling him up either, he is a striker in form, we rarely have too many of them at any point, on form he is arguably a better finisher than anyone we have in the squad, he has youth on his side (we don't have too many young players full stop, never mind forwards) added to the fact that other options vary between limited players, never has beens and English lads. 

That isn't me advocating a place on the bench for him V Austria, but can't see what harm it would do to name him in one of these 65 man squads & having a look at him in training. If, as Brian Kerr & others feel, it turns out he isn't ready, so be it. On the other hand, if he did go to Preston or even Charlton, he would nearly be an automatic squad inclusion, even without kicking a ball for them. At least MON called up Horgan pre-magic plane, so that's one of the traditional glass ceilings for Maguire removed. 

Back in the day when he was called plain oul Seán, I put this up 4 years ago...... it's still a pretty accurate description of what he can do when in form, for those who haven't seen the lad play, or just saw him stick a few in the back of the net for Cork on a highlights show. 

https://forum.ybig.ie/sean-maguire_topic42520_page1.html" rel="nofollow - https://forum.ybig.ie/sean-maguire_topic42520_page1.html

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Small (despite being reported @ 5'9 in some reports today) slight fella with excellent close control, 2 good feet, good finisher (but could improve on this aspect), very fast, especially over short distances, has a burst of acceleration that can take him past defenders (in the plural, he rarely stops at beating one defender), and surprisingly very difficult to get the ball off him for a fella that size, he has a low centre of gravity, kind of crouches over the ball when he recieves it, to the point where it looks like he will fall over, (looks a bit odd, but seems to be very effective) then one quick turn and he is gone.

Very good awareness of players around him as well, he can spot a defence splitting pass as well as a goal chance when on his best form. Again, for a fella his size, he will challenge for every ball in the air regardless of the size of defender he is up against, doesn't shirk aerial challenges. 

Where he could (and should with proper coaching) improve is his decision making, he is sometimes guilty of taking too much out of the ball, or taking on one too many defenders, and losing the ball, but I think you can expect that of any young attacking player to an extent. 

I am convinced the lad will make a living out of the game, bit too early to say whether that will be at EPL level, but he has all the raw ingredients there. John W mentioned Shane Long as a comparison, have to say I don't think they are a similar player at all, he more reminds me of the early Wolves/Coventry version of Robbie Keane (not quite that good though). Best of luck to him anyway. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 11:30pm
Some fine scouting their chief.Clap

-------------

Posted By: daveyc
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 8:58pm
great finish for 3rd goal tonight 

Posted By: depechemode
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 9:07pm
He's in great form . Fair play to the lad . Hopefully he can maintain his form and break into the squad
I don't remember us ever in a worse position for strikers . For the last few years people were giving out about Keane . Well this is life after Robbie Keane . We can't score and can barely get a shot on target

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 9:15pm
Did very well for that goal. Nice little flick as well to create another chance shortly afterwards. 8 goals already this season I think.

Posted By: benboview
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 1:22am
That 3rd goal was magic.

Posted By: liam_in_germany
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 2:33am
I'm 100% behind MON the stakes are so high in the group I can't blame him for sticking with tried and trusted. As fans we all get excited about the new lads in the championship but IMO Horgan could have got a run in a real game not the others. But when he plays Doyle and not this lad against Iceland you have to think what's the point of blooding all these new lads who deserve a cap and plnot him. Madness

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 2:52pm
I think to be fair Liam, nobody, even Maguire's biggest fans, is suggesting he should be an option for the first team as yet, but looking at the bigger picture, which is really only a year/year and a half away, it isn't inconceivable that Murphy (35 in March '18) , Doyle (34 in September '17) & Walters (34 in September '17) might all have packed it in at that stage, even if they haven't, they are going to be diminishing options for us at the very least. If we were to get to Russia, the chances are all 3 would likely call it a day.

Shane Long is 31 in January '17, still a few years left in him, but he is getting to that stage of his career where he will begin to gradually lose his pace, which is a huge part of his game. He will likely have to adapt his game somewhat as this happens, and how successful he is in doing that will determine whether he will be a longer term option for us. Because of lack of alternatives, he will continue to be in & around the team for a good while to come, but in 2 years time, he might not be in the role he is used at the minute. 

There really is very little out there after that. As things stand, Hogan (who may or may not turn out to be any good in any case) is an Englishman who doesn't play for us. Stokes is a never has been and can't get a game with Blackburn, who will do well to escape league 1 this year.  Joe Mason has never really nailed down his place for a full season with any team, and scores 5-10 goals a season in the championship, which really isn't anything exceptional, Wes Hoolahan gets around the same from midfield, Alan Judge, before he got injured, had more than that last year, likewise Conor Hourihane.  Mason will could well start making squads post 2018, but I don't think we should be expecting too much out of him. 

Adam Rooney is a squad regular, but the management clearly don't think he is up to too much. Cillian Sheridan is another fella who will probably start making squads in a years time, I haven't really seen him playing since underage level, where I thought he was lacking the first touch to make the top level, his list of clubs since seems to prove that assessment some way correct. In 2018, that might not be any barrier for him to become a regular for us, such are the lack of options. 

There are others, like Paddy Madden, Eoin Doyle and even Podge Amond out there, but it would be a fairly huge stretch at this point to see any of them getting caps (further caps in Madden's case) , never mind becoming Ireland regulars.

Whether we like it or not, and regardless of anyone's opinion of Maguire, he is a hell of a lot closer to the Irish squad/team than a lot of people think he is right now, and if in a year and a half's time, we are going to be picking from the likes of Sheridan, Rooney, Mason, Maguire etc, MON may as well start throwing these lads into his giant squads, if only to get them used to it. Maguire is the only fella under 25 of all those named too, something that isn't insignificant either. 

It isn't about awarding caps or squad places for the sake of it, it's looking at options beyond our 30 plus year old current crew of strikers, and the lack of options makes for scary enough reading. 

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 8:36pm
Nail on the head deise

-------------

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 9:01pm
Do most see Maguire going to a good championship club or a Premier side across the water at the end of the LOI season if he keeps up anywhere near this level of form? Surely there will be a rake of offers for him.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Do most see Maguire going to a good championship club or a Premier side across the water at the end of the LOI season if he keeps up anywhere near this level of form? Surely there will be a rake of offers for him.
Spot on Deise!
I am slightly biased, but Maguire is the best forward I have seen in the LOI since a young O'Flynn, whatever happens afterwards is up to him.

-------------

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 9:34pm
Is he on more than the year long contract PM? I hope so, would be a pity if the better league of Ireland players keep leaving for peanuts if that does happen with Maguire.

He does a look a special player alright. Have only seen him play in 4 or 5 full matches myself. Am I right in saying that there's very few areas he'd be weak in as a forward? Looks like a total all rounder to me. Can drop off, link up play, beat players, assists, finishes brilliantly, quick as well.

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 5:23am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Is he on more than the year long contract PM? I hope so, would be a pity if the better league of Ireland players keep leaving for peanuts if that does happen with Maguire.

He does a look a special player alright. Have only seen him play in 4 or 5 full matches myself. Am I right in saying that there's very few areas he'd be weak in as a forward? Looks like a total all rounder to me. Can drop off, link up play, beat players, assists, finishes brilliantly, quick as well.

I don't think he is Hans (PM or some of the Cork lads might know differently) and even J Caulfield's statement last night denying any new bids for him also (reading between the lines) half put a 'for sale' sign on him, between ruling out League 1 clubs, but yet saying if the money was right, Cork wouldn't stand in his way. 

Half reminds me of Alex Neil's post euros statements about Robbie Brady (not for sale, no bids received, but if we were to receive.... etc, etc), and we know what happened in the end there. Basically, for any English championship team who fancies him, Maguire can be bought for a relative pittance. Sooner rather than later, someone is going to take the chance, tis up to Seanie himself after that. 

Is he good enough ? I thought he was good enough 4 years ago, where he was the standout player in an admittedly poor LOI 1st division, and WHU, at least to an extent, thought the same at the time. It didn't work out for him, neither did moves to Sligo or Dundalk, but since that, he has firstly regained, and then bettered, that initial form he showed for Waterford under Caulfield & CCFC in the past 2 years. 

It has to be remembered he went to WHU when he was only 18 years old, and suffered badly from homesickness, he won't be the first or last young Irish fella to have that happen him. There are a handful of lads who went from the LOI premier to championship teams, Fahey, Doyle, Long and recently Horgan & Boyle, but all of those were considerably older than Maguire (bar Long) when they did so, to the best of my knowledge, nobody has gone from LOI division 1 to a premier team & made an impression any time recently, so that isn't something I would be reading too much in to. 

What also marks him out as a bit different is the fact he returned to the LOI 2 years after failing at WHU, and initially didn't do a thing with either Sligo or Dundalk, as any of their fans will attest to. That still didn't deter him though, and he has shown a good bit of belief & determination to show that early promise he had wasn't all down to hype & optimistic LOI fans like me thinking this lad has a chance to play for Ireland (Great credit has to go to John Caulfield here).

Some will deride that & think it doesn't mean a lot in the big scheme of things, but it isn't as easy as all that, we only have to look at other young Irish lads who had far bigger reputations who returned to the LOI after spells in the UK, such as Conor Clifford, Shane Supple, go back a bit further & look at even older lads with loads of experience like Liam Miller, Colin Healy, Stephen McPhail, Stephen Elliot, very , very few of them managed to look much better than competent LOI players, none stood out, nor still stand out,  in the manner Maguire has, and the previous 4 mentioned all had international caps. 

He does have some weaknesses, his decision making, although vastly improved since his Waterford days, has further room for improvement, and as he isn't the biggest of lads, he does require a team, and a few teammates, who are able to have the intelligence to play to his strengths, which don't involve lumping long, high balls at him, that might sound obvious, but at the same time, (the excellent manager) Stephen Kenny couldn't quite manage it, and he will, when the time comes, have to choose his English/UK team reasonably carefully. 

I'm not sure even still that he can be a top level EPL striker, but championship football is well within his capabilities if all goes well for him & he continues to be in the vein of form he has been in for Cork these last 2 years. 

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 1:06pm
http://www.punditarena.com/football/sokeefe/maguire-ireland-friendly-uruguay/" rel="nofollow - http://www.punditarena.com/football/sokeefe/maguire-ireland-friendly-uruguay/

I'm taking this with a pinch of salt but it's positive if it's true

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 9:44pm
From the42.ie:

Preston North End Simon Grayson manager Simon Grayson and club consultant Peter Risdale were among the 1,768 in attendance, with reports that the Championship club are keen on adding Sean Maguire to their ranks.

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 9:57pm
Seani's agent is Seth Johnson is Seth Johnson, somebody Ridsdale knows well from their time bankrupting Leeds United together. It would seem there is something very much in the rumours anyway.

-------------

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 10:10pm

Seani's agent is Seth Johnson is Seth Johnson, somebody Ridsdale knows well from their time bankrupting Leeds United together. It would seem there is something very much in the rumours anyway.
He could get a whopper contract off that pair

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

He could get a whopper contract off that pair
Negotiations will work backwards, they will offer Seani 100k and he will say "ah lads, that is too much", then they will agree on 50k a week, 20k a goal and a massive aquarium.

-------------

Posted By: Dugs
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by adineen98 adineen98 wrote:

From the42.ie:

Preston North End Simon Grayson manager Simon Grayson and club consultant Peter Risdale were among the 1,768 in attendance, with reports that the Championship club are keen on adding Sean Maguire to their ranks.
jaysus preston north end should just relocate to ireland. Or put a reserve team in the first division. A feeder team for their championship seniors.

Posted By: GoneToShowgies
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 4:10pm

Nowhere close (or will ever be) for international standard football. LOI or a step up is his level.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Nowhere close (or will ever be) for international standard football. LOI or a step up is his level.
From what I've seen with CCFC, he's the exact same attitude and ability as Kevin Doyle, who was clearly good enough for international football

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 11:29pm

And would yer views on him be any way coloured by his miserable spell at Sligo by any chance ?? 

-------------

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 11:42pm
Never knew he was born in the U.K.

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 12:01am
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Never knew he was born in the U.K.
You can tell by the accent.

-------------

Posted By: John W
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 12:12am
Simon Grayson seemed to enjoy himself at Kasabian gig on Saturday night in the Olympia.

Posted By: GoneToShowgies
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 12:12pm

And would yer views on him be any way coloured by his miserable spell at Sligo by any chance ?? 

Yes and no deise. In fairness I did see him play a lot more than most people, even if it was a few years ago. I'm sure he has improved but his attitude was questionable with us.

West Ham, no impact. Sligo Rovers, no impact. Accrington Stanley, no real impact. Dundalk, no impact. He's had a good season with Cork last year and is doing Ok this season, but remember Cork are head and shoulders above most other teams in LOI and brushing teams aside. A half decent striker should be scoring plenty in that Cork team in fairness.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on him and he can go up a level or two, but international level would be a shock. Good luck to him.

Posted By: Keano2000
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 12:29pm

Yes and no deise. In fairness I did see him play a lot more than most people, even if it was a few years ago. I'm sure he has improved but his attitude was questionable with us.

West Ham, no impact. Sligo Rovers, no impact. Accrington Stanley, no real impact. Dundalk, no impact. He's had a good season with Cork last year and is doing Ok this season, but remember Cork are head and shoulders above most other teams in LOI and brushing teams aside. A half decent striker should be scoring plenty in that Cork team in fairness.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on him and he can go up a level or two, but international level would be a shock. Good luck to him.
You're not being harsh at all, you're spot on.  He's doing very well in a very good Cork side, as you said any decent LOI striker would be scoring a good few in that team.  He'll never be good enough for the national team.

Date Posted: 05 May 2017 at 9:04pm
Brilliant finish.Clap

-------------

Posted By: shakeyshamrock
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 9:27pm
Hat-trick in front of MON and Roy.. all poacher's goals.. the boy has timing, you can give him that.

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

Hat-trick in front of MON and Roy.. all poacher's goals.. the boy has timing, you can give him that.

It would do him no harm even training with the squad for the next few days.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 9:29pm
He was absolutely superb tonight, his movement is so good. I think he has left us a league title after tonight.

-------------

Posted By: Cathalthesmart
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 9:31pm
Picked the perfect night to score a hattrick.

-------------
Hi Lads

Posted By: Joe Stalin
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 9:37pm
3 great finishes tonight. Will cork have him for their European matches in july?

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 9:43pm
Martin O Neill is a dinosaur and you would hope he would give the chap a chance but can't see it happening. Who else have we that has the pace and feet of Seanie Mc and is fit to play fir us up front

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 10:27pm
You've got to take in the opposition. There f**king dire.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 10:33pm

I agree with this to an extent,grammar aside, but I have also said that when a player looks far better than his opponents he needs to be assessed on that. The Ireland manager has too small a pool to be waiting on another manager in England to vindicate his selection.
I am the first to admit that the LOI is very, very poor, but Seani is not. A look at him in a friendly would have helped him, the league and the buyer and it would have cost nothing.

-------------

Posted By: dubstep
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 10:37pm
Loi is not very very poor it's a decent standard. Maguire movement, finishing and link up play is top class. He will have a good career in England no doubt.

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 10:37pm

Yea sure they are dire but so are our opinions . More to gain than to lose

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

Loi is not very very poor it's a decent standard. Maguire movement, finishing and link up play is top class. He will have a good career in England no doubt.
It is poor, by and large, but Cork City have a decent team and a player in Maguire who is superb. I was questioning him and his attitude, privately, the past few weeks but that was sensational tonight. This was a huge game, for both clubs, and he did that. He is a superb striker and will, if he gets a chance, do very well at Preston.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 11:21pm
If anyone believes Murphy, Rooney, Sheridan, McGoldrick, Doyle, etc. wouldn't be doing exactly the same in the LOI they're kidding themselves unfortunately. Maguire has something, but exactly what it is is hard to gauge playing at that level.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 11:24pm

If anyone believes Murphy, Rooney, Sheridan, McGoldrick, Doyle, etc. wouldn't be doing exactly the same in the LOI they're kidding themselves unfortunately. Maguire has something, but exactly what it is is hard to gauge playing at that level.
This here is the problem......... It is the ability to cut the wheat from the chaff, and not wait for a manager in England to do so. Same argument with Enda Stevens, as an example. You shouldn't need a second opinion! I know the LOI is sh*te, Seani is better than it. Therefore, worth a look!

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 11:36pm

This here is the problem......... It is the ability to cut the wheat from the chaff, and not wait for a manager in England to do so. Same argument with Enda Stevens, as an example. You shouldn't need a second opinion! I know the LOI is sh*te, Seani is better than it. Therefore, worth a look!

Maguire is clearly a useful player, the problem is that the guys ahead of him have also looked useful at a much higher standard than the LOI. I thoroughly believe McGoldrick and Murphy would score 30+ goals a year if they were playing in the LOI, so it makes it difficult to judge whether or not Maguire is any improvement on them. He deserves a shot in training either way, but I wouldn't be getting overly carried away with him at the same time.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 11:40pm

Maguire is clearly a useful player, the problem is that the guys ahead of him have also looked useful at a much higher standard than the LOI. I thoroughly believe McGoldrick and Murphy would score 30+ goals a year if they were playing in the LOI, so it makes it difficult to judge whether or not Maguire is any improvement on them. He deserves a shot in training either way, but I wouldn't be getting overly carried away with him at the same time.
I am not sure anyone is getting overly carried away! I just think that when someone stands out, as Maguire does, he should be looked at.
I am also not sure that McGoldrick would hit thirty in the West Cork league, that lad is awful. *

*Hyperbole may be involved!

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 11:45pm
Hmm, we'll agree to disagree, but I think McGoldrick has always looked impressive for Ireland last night included. When he and Murphy got service they did quite well, the problem was the lack of service they received rather than what they did with it.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 11:50pm
if you go to a game to watch a player and he scores a hat trick there is no excuse not to call him up , what more did they want him to do , I doubt doyler would have bagged 3 tonight

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 11:52pm

Hmm, we'll agree to disagree, but I think McGoldrick has always looked impressive for Ireland last night included. When he and Murphy got service they did quite well, the problem was the lack of service they received rather than what they did with it.
I think McGoldrick is an honest to goodness hacker, I think the LOI would suit him!

-------------

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 12:08am
Originally posted by Keano2000 Keano2000 wrote:

You're not being harsh at all, you're spot on.  He's doing very well in a very good Cork side, as you said any decent LOI striker would be scoring a good few in that team.  He'll never be good enough for the national team.

Ah give over lads. He's still only 23 and you're tarring him when he was 19 years old.

If he was in the upper 20's then yis may have a point but calling someone crap cos he wasn't playing well when he was 19 is a complete lack of insight and judgement.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 12:10am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by Keano2000 Keano2000 wrote:

Ah give over lads. He's still only 23 and you're tarring him when he was 19 years old.

If he was in the upper 20's then yis may have a point but calling someone crap cos he wasn't playing well when he was 19 is a complete lack of insight and judgement.
What my reasonably sensible friend said!!

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 12:15am
Maguire didn't cut it in England when he was there which is not a good sign but there's nothing to stop him developing and moving back over and doing well. Still relatively young.  I might throw him int he squad for experience and America was the time to do it but O'Neill balked.  The league has long been over so that's not an excuse imo.  That being said he's still not ready for competitive international football. I think that's obvious.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 12:19am
I don't recall Murphy scoring for fun when he was at Waterford.

We are back to tell same old tedious argument that a journeyman at a mid tier team abroad is worth a punt over a prospect here. Maguire is this season's obvious stand out. Hogan was last year's. Towell the year before. He will move abroad, the €150k buyout clause will guarantee it. Do we have to do the same tired dance of waiting until then to include him?

-------------
He is Karl Pilkington in the LOI section and Karl Marx outwith it

Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 12:20am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Maguire didn't cut it in England when he was there which is not a good sign but there's nothing to stop him developing and moving back over and doing well. Still relatively young.  I might throw him int he squad for experience and America was the time to do it but O'Neill balked.  The league has long been over so that's not an excuse imo.  That being said he's still not ready for competitive international football. I think that's obvious.
Why is it obvious?

-------------
He is Karl Pilkington in the LOI section and Karl Marx outwith it

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 12:22am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

He was a kid, most kids struggle abroad, I still do! It is very unfair to judge him on that! Far better to judge him on the fact that lads who have been too good for the LOI have gone on to do alright for themselves.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 12:23am
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

I don't recall Murphy scoring for fun when he was at Waterford.

We are back to tell same old tedious argument that a journeyman at a mid tier team abroad is worth a punt over a prospect here. Maguire is this season's obvious stand out. Hogan was last year's. Towell the year before. He will move abroad, the €150k buyout clause will guarantee it. Do we have to do the same tired dance of waiting until then to include him?
Agree. Sometimes class is obvious, and I stand over Richie Towell when I say that.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net