Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Preston North End/Rep of Ireland Football Club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Guinness wouldn't be seen dead putting their logo anywhere near a football jersey these days. Too downmarket for the rugger lovers in their morkeshing deportment
The clubs turned them down sponsoring the EPL a couple of years back.

Edited by pre Madonna - 07 Jun 2017 at 3:56pm
Sponsored Links

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 3:55pm

Guinness wouldn't be seen dead putting their logo anywhere near a football jersey these days. Too downmarket for the rugger lovers in their morkeshing deportment
They wanted to sponsor the Premier League last year but they were rejected...

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 3:57pm
Image result for andrew ridgeley in qpr shirt
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 4:19pm
Where can I buy a ticket for the PROI? But more importantly an Irish flag that I can wave in the crowd during the game. 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 4:30pm
I understand Nick Parks writer and director is a PNE fan.

Edited by UCDFAN - 07 Jun 2017 at 4:31pm
www.ucdsupporters.ie
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Didn't know that.  Don't see why that would be an issue.  Barclays Bank sponsored the league and Liverpool had another bank sponsoring their shirt.

Anyway Guinness are still a snobby brand these days who have lost touch with their roots.
(or maybe re-connecting to their roots of unionists as the Guinness family were)Wink

My message to Guinness: Get back the common touch of jug eared farmers carrying steel beams, simpletons in pubs with eybrows on their cheeks, fishermen, lads doing a stupid dance waiting for the pint to settle etc... No more gym gimps in rugby jerseys posing in pubs. No more of it I tells ya.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 4:46pm
Why do you care? 

You're adversely affected by marketing, to such an extent you don't want to drink Guinnes, cause the brands sponsors sports you don't like. P r e t t y sad 

Edited by Bob Hoskins - 07 Jun 2017 at 4:47pm
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 4:48pm
I still drink their produce but do so with a grudge as it feels like I am ingesting ROGBY into my soul.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 5:00pm
Drink Hop House instead - their marketing is neutral and you won't be a Rugby Fan 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 5:06pm

Didn't know that.  Don't see why that would be an issue.  Barclays Bank sponsored the league and Liverpool had another bank sponsoring their shirt.

Anyway Guinness are still a snobby brand these days who have lost touch with their roots.
(or maybe re-connecting to their roots of unionists as the Guinness family were)Wink

My message to Guinness: Get back the common touch of jug eared farmers carrying steel beams, simpletons in pubs with eybrows on their cheeks, fishermen, lads doing a stupid dance waiting for the pint to settle etc... No more gym gimps in rugby jerseys posing in pubs. No more of it I tells ya.
Advertising and marketing of banks and beer are two very things, as you have pretty much hinted at yourself. If Barclays bank made nothing but ads associating them with rugby it really wouldn't change their customer base or clientele, it is very different with sports, especially with the tribalism within football. It was well known that McEwen's, for example, lost a large part of its market in the west of Scotland by sponsoring Rangers. They never confirmed or denied it, but when I first made trips to Glasgow I was told to leave any pub that sold it as I would have taken a wrong turn.
Beer and sports teams are two of the few businesses that people remain tribal about, I can understand why someone at,say, Coors in Burton would be worried about a company that prides itself on its marketing.
The fact that you know associate Guinness and rugby shows how well that marketing has worked. The reason people around the world associate a beer that was originally brewed in London by an aristocratic family with men with eyebrows on their cheeks and leprechauns is down to their original marketing, they sold a country and nostalgia and people drank it in.
Anyway, PNE? What about them! I fancy a pint now! G'luck.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 5:16pm
LAYALISTS drink Guinness doyn da boozer with their frayd chookie

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 5:21pm
Anyway PM Guinness sponsoring the Premier League wouldn't harm their sales as they ain't sponsoring any one team.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 5:26pm

Anyway PM Guinness sponsoring the Premier League wouldn't harm their sales as they ain't sponsoring any one team.

The EPL and Guinness are both worldwide products, people associate watching sport with beer, when one of the world's most recognisable beer brands becomes associated with the league as a whole it would dwarf the association of any one team brand. You saw how well they have done it with rugby, in England especially where pubs I have worked in have seen Guinness sales rocket during the six nations, imagine that over a 9 month football season.
It would be a harder market as football is linked with lager, again for reasons of advertising down the years!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The EPL and Guinness are both worldwide products, people associate watching sport with beer, when one of the world's most recognisable beer brands becomes associated with the league as a whole it would dwarf the association of any one team brand. You saw how well they have done it with rugby, in England especially where pubs I have worked in have seen Guinness sales rocket during the six nations, imagine that over a 9 month football season.
It would be a harder market as football is linked with lager, again for reasons of advertising down the years!

Marketing is not that effective PM.  Don't buy your reasoning. Now I have to head out to the bank now and I'm having pints after so will reply properly later.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 5:32pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Marketing is not that effective PM.  Don't buy your reasoning. Now I have to head out to the bank now and I'm having pints after so will reply properly later.
Yeah, I am off to the pub myself!
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 9:18am
When are the chartered flights announced?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 10:51am
It's strange alright how teams go through a phase where they have a bunch of Irish.

In the late 80's there was Liverpool (Aldridge, Staunton, Houghton, Whelan).
In the 90's we had Villa (Townsend, McGrath, Staunton,  Houghton).
In the 00's we had Reading (Doyle, Long, Stephen and Noel Hunt, Alan Bennett, DaveMooney)
Sunderland had a good whack between 08-12 (Quinn, Keane off the field, Andy Reid, Darly Murphy, Stokes, Myler, Liam Miller, Connolly, O'Shea, Westwood, McLean) - not all those at the same time obviously
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 12:21pm

It's strange alright how teams go through a phase where they have a bunch of Irish.

In the late 80's there was Liverpool (Aldridge, Staunton, Houghton, Whelan).
In the 90's we had Villa (Townsend, McGrath, Staunton,  Houghton).
In the 00's we had Reading (Doyle, Long, Stephen and Noel Hunt, Alan Bennett, DaveMooney)
Sunderland had a good whack between 08-12 (Quinn, Keane off the field, Andy Reid, Darly Murphy, Stokes, Myler, Liam Miller, Connolly, O'Shea, Westwood, McLean) - not all those at the same time obviously
2017 , Brady, Hendrick , Ward & Long all internationals playing for Burnley right now .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic