Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=54973
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 3:26pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Preston North End/Rep of Ireland Football Club
Posted By: irishmufc
Subject: Preston North End/Rep of Ireland Football Club
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 5:00pm
Might as well have their own thread given the current Irish contingent there.

Posted a few weeks ago that they may have a late charge at the playoffs and they look like they could at least be within touching distance of it.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Replies:
Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 5:44pm
It'll be very tight. I would like to see them there but more less likely they'll make the playoffs to be honest!

Leeds and Huddersfield are probably already there. Wouldn't be surprised if them 2 ended up in the Playoff finals.
Reading and Sheff Wed alot more inconsistent and have to play each other next week but you have Fulham first in the queue who are in deadly form - They are usually poor away from Home but they tore Newcastle apart today, Newcastle losing at Home is usually surprising but then losing to a team who are poor away even more so.

Said in the Horgan thread before he signed that Preston was a fantastic choice. Simon Grayson quietly doing amazing things there.

His signings in the last few years include;
Daryl Horgan - Free
Andy Boyle - Free
Jordan Pickford - Loan
Aidey McGeady - Loan
Tom Barkhuizen - £100,000. 
Callum Robinson - £400,000

Not only picking cheap youngsters but he's previously made total washed up has-been's like Jermaine Beckford look like hot prospects

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 8:08pm
Fulham have the 3rd best away record in The Championship Thumbs Up

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: alihau41
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 10:53am
Huddersfield could even challenge for automatic promotion never mind for the playoffs. they're 6 points behind but have a game in hand.
by all accounts, PNE fans are very happy with the performances of their irish contingent.

Posted By: GUFC_Andy
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 1:07am

-------------
Don't ban me for no reason, please.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 1:16am
There are no words. Embarrassed

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 1:29am
What the f*ck is that.....

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 1:29am
Brilliant LOL

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 4:37pm
Been talking to some PNE fans in Sunderland this afternoon ahead of their game against Newcastle tonight they really rate Aido and had good things to say about Horgan & Boyle. Great guys and of course they liked the Double Maxim draught.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 10:45am
With Seanie Maquire off to Preston they really are becoming Englands 'Irish' club.
Cool

-------------

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

With Seanie Maquire off to Preston they really are becoming Englands 'Irish' club.
Cool

No.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 12:33pm
LOL
Originally posted by GUFC_Andy GUFC_Andy wrote:

LOLLOLLOL

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 12:54pm

Cool

Was already the first result I was checking in the championship. Even more so now.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Grayson his the Irish market again, was on the radio acknowledging the potential of picking up good players for cheap

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Cool

Was already the first result I was checking in the championship. Even more so now.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Grayson his the Irish market again, was on the radio acknowledging the potential of picking up good players for cheap
You can't blame them, you really can't, but it is so depressing.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 5:17am
Looks like Kevin O'Connor will be making the move from Cork city to Preston he shouldn't have a problem settling in!

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 3:28pm
Which mod changed that title?!

I never put in Republic of Ireland Football Club ffs

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: UCDFAN
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 3:44pm
Around 1993 I met some groundhoppers from Preston North End before a Shamrock Rovers v Bohs league game at RDS.  They had been to Cork and one of them was delighted with the colours (and advertisement) of the hoodie/woven top version of this jersey below.

Since then I've made a connection between CCFC/PNE.

Cork City 1993 jersey

-------------
www.ucdsupporters.ie

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 3:53pm
Guinness wouldn't be seen dead putting their logo anywhere near a football jersey these days. Too downmarket for the rugger lovers in their morkeshing deportment

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Guinness wouldn't be seen dead putting their logo anywhere near a football jersey these days. Too downmarket for the rugger lovers in their morkeshing deportment
The clubs turned them down sponsoring the EPL a couple of years back.

-------------

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 3:55pm

They wanted to sponsor the Premier League last year but they were rejected...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3047802/Premier-League-clubs-turn-135m-mega-offer-Guinness-naming-rights.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3047802/Premier-League-clubs-turn-135m-mega-offer-Guinness-naming-rights.html

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 3:57pm
https://www.google.ie/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjnn9OQ_6vUAhWJblAKHbxVDEwQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fiammoallim%2Fstatus%2F813366317860392960&psig=AFQjCNH5jT3LCkG1rg_odRPTgCnxfvTnCQ&ust=1496933799100566" rel="nofollow">Image result for andrew ridgeley in qpr shirt

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 4:19pm
Where can I buy a ticket for the PROI? But more importantly an Irish flag that I can wave in the crowd during the game. 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: UCDFAN
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 4:30pm
I understand Nick Parks writer and director is a PNE fan.

-------------
www.ucdsupporters.ie

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3047802/Premier-League-clubs-turn-135m-mega-offer-Guinness-naming-rights.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3047802/Premier-League-clubs-turn-135m-mega-offer-Guinness-naming-rights.html

Didn't know that.  Don't see why that would be an issue.  Barclays Bank sponsored the league and Liverpool had another bank sponsoring their shirt.

Anyway Guinness are still a snobby brand these days who have lost touch with their roots.
(or maybe re-connecting to their roots of unionists as the Guinness family were)Wink

My message to Guinness: Get back the common touch of jug eared farmers carrying steel beams, simpletons in pubs with eybrows on their cheeks, fishermen, lads doing a stupid dance waiting for the pint to settle etc... No more gym gimps in rugby jerseys posing in pubs. No more of it I tells ya.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 4:46pm
Why do you care? 

You're adversely affected by marketing, to such an extent you don't want to drink Guinnes, cause the brands sponsors sports you don't like. P r e t t y sad 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 4:48pm
I still drink their produce but do so with a grudge as it feels like I am ingesting ROGBY into my soul.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 5:00pm
Drink Hop House instead - their marketing is neutral and you won't be a Rugby Fan 

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 5:06pm

Didn't know that.  Don't see why that would be an issue.  Barclays Bank sponsored the league and Liverpool had another bank sponsoring their shirt.

Anyway Guinness are still a snobby brand these days who have lost touch with their roots.
(or maybe re-connecting to their roots of unionists as the Guinness family were)Wink

My message to Guinness: Get back the common touch of jug eared farmers carrying steel beams, simpletons in pubs with eybrows on their cheeks, fishermen, lads doing a stupid dance waiting for the pint to settle etc... No more gym gimps in rugby jerseys posing in pubs. No more of it I tells ya.
Advertising and marketing of banks and beer are two very things, as you have pretty much hinted at yourself. If Barclays bank made nothing but ads associating them with rugby it really wouldn't change their customer base or clientele, it is very different with sports, especially with the tribalism within football. It was well known that McEwen's, for example, lost a large part of its market in the west of Scotland by sponsoring Rangers. They never confirmed or denied it, but when I first made trips to Glasgow I was told to leave any pub that sold it as I would have taken a wrong turn.
Beer and sports teams are two of the few businesses that people remain tribal about, I can understand why someone at,say, Coors in Burton would be worried about a company that prides itself on its marketing.
The fact that you know associate Guinness and rugby shows how well that marketing has worked. The reason people around the world associate a beer that was originally brewed in London by an aristocratic family with men with eyebrows on their cheeks and leprechauns is down to their original marketing, they sold a country and nostalgia and people drank it in.
Anyway, PNE? What about them! I fancy a pint now! G'luck.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 5:16pm
LAYALISTS drink Guinness doyn da boozer with their frayd chookie

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 5:21pm
Anyway PM Guinness sponsoring the Premier League wouldn't harm their sales as they ain't sponsoring any one team.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 5:26pm

Anyway PM Guinness sponsoring the Premier League wouldn't harm their sales as they ain't sponsoring any one team.

The EPL and Guinness are both worldwide products, people associate watching sport with beer, when one of the world's most recognisable beer brands becomes associated with the league as a whole it would dwarf the association of any one team brand. You saw how well they have done it with rugby, in England especially where pubs I have worked in have seen Guinness sales rocket during the six nations, imagine that over a 9 month football season.
It would be a harder market as football is linked with lager, again for reasons of advertising down the years!

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The EPL and Guinness are both worldwide products, people associate watching sport with beer, when one of the world's most recognisable beer brands becomes associated with the league as a whole it would dwarf the association of any one team brand. You saw how well they have done it with rugby, in England especially where pubs I have worked in have seen Guinness sales rocket during the six nations, imagine that over a 9 month football season.
It would be a harder market as football is linked with lager, again for reasons of advertising down the years!

Marketing is not that effective PM.  Don't buy your reasoning. Now I have to head out to the bank now and I'm having pints after so will reply properly later.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 5:32pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Marketing is not that effective PM.  Don't buy your reasoning. Now I have to head out to the bank now and I'm having pints after so will reply properly later.
Yeah, I am off to the pub myself!

-------------

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 9:18am
When are the chartered flights announced?

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 10:51am
It's strange alright how teams go through a phase where they have a bunch of Irish.

In the late 80's there was Liverpool (Aldridge, Staunton, Houghton, Whelan).
In the 90's we had Villa (Townsend, McGrath, Staunton,  Houghton).
In the 00's we had Reading (Doyle, Long, Stephen and Noel Hunt, Alan Bennett, DaveMooney)
Sunderland had a good whack between 08-12 (Quinn, Keane off the field, Andy Reid, Darly Murphy, Stokes, Myler, Liam Miller, Connolly, O'Shea, Westwood, McLean) - not all those at the same time obviously

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 12:21pm

It's strange alright how teams go through a phase where they have a bunch of Irish.

In the late 80's there was Liverpool (Aldridge, Staunton, Houghton, Whelan).
In the 90's we had Villa (Townsend, McGrath, Staunton,  Houghton).
In the 00's we had Reading (Doyle, Long, Stephen and Noel Hunt, Alan Bennett, DaveMooney)
Sunderland had a good whack between 08-12 (Quinn, Keane off the field, Andy Reid, Darly Murphy, Stokes, Myler, Liam Miller, Connolly, O'Shea, Westwood, McLean) - not all those at the same time obviously
2017 , Brady, Hendrick , Ward & Long all internationals playing for Burnley right now .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: SportingRizlaCF
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 12:32pm
Everton also, albeit the contingency will probably be broken apart - Coleman, McCarthy, Gibson, McGeady

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 12:32pm
In the mid 90s Man City had Phelan, Quinn and Kernaghan

Hence I became a fan....and the rest is history

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

In the mid 90s Man City had Phelan, Quinn and Kernaghan

Hence I became a fan....and the rest is history

I would say most Man City fans were influenced by ALan Kernaghan !

-------------

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 1:23pm
Kilbane put them wide to the Cork left full over a year ago

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Kilbane put them wide to the Cork left full over a year ago

Was this in a charity match? The full back overlapping him?

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 4:01pm
Signed Man Utd's Josh Harrop.

Horgan/Harrop/Browne/McGeady midfield
Maguire upfront.

Very youthful squad, aside from a few. And full of potential exciting talent. Could be the team to watch out for nxt season

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Signed Man Utd's Josh Harrop.

Horgan/Harrop/Browne/McGeady midfield
Maguire upfront.

Very youthful squad, aside from a few. And full of potential exciting talent. Could be the team to watch out for nxt season
They don't have McGeady and it is looking increasingly unlikely that they will have him.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 4:06pm
Oh yeah forgot he was a loan. sh*te.

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 4:10pm
Boro seem to be favourites to sign him.

-------------

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 9:55pm
Grayson has gone, not good news for Maguire particularly

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Bad bad move from him IMO, was sickened when I heard it.

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 10:30pm
Rumours that David Moyes will get the Preston job!

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 10:55pm

Cos that will happen..

Posted By: GUFC_Andy
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:06pm

bas news for our Irish contingent at PNE. He's finished

-------------
Don't ban me for no reason, please.

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:08pm
I thought most clubs aspire to be promoted not relegated

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:09pm
Moyes Moyes Moyes, he's never won a trophy

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 7:01am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Moyes Moyes Moyes, he's never won a trophy
Does a shield count ?

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:34am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Strange one,would have been better off staying where he was.

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 6:58am
Alex Neil in talks with Preston.

-------------

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 2:09pm
Good appointment...Thought Owen Coyle was gonna continue his destruction tour of the NW of England at Preston for a while

Posted By: tonyjaa
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Good appointment...Thought Owen Coyle was gonna continue his destruction tour of the NW of England at Preston for a while

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Not sure Neil is much better!

-------------

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 8:14pm
Realistically I don't think that they could attract much better

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 8:17pm
Rosler and Alexander were both linked, if I was a PNE fan I would have preferred either. Neil would have been towards the very bottom of the list.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 5:38am
Alan Browne has signed a new contract for Preston for a further three years.
Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 7:29am
Reports saying Cardiff city have put a bid in for Greg Cunningham.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 6:18am

I didn't realise Dean Kiely is now the first team goalkeeping coach at PNE.   
Thumbs Up          

-------------

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 4:21pm
Goals for Horgan and Browne today.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 11:42pm
Did Browne strike in his first cracker with his left foot and then score the penalty with his right?

Posted By: adineen98
Date Posted: 06 May 2018 at 2:31pm
Finished 2 points outside of the playoff places. I know we'd love to see more Irish players in the PL, but another season in the Championship could do the Irish contingent there the world of good.

-------------
Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net