You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Attendance Figures 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twoinarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by ccfcmurphy ccfcmurphy wrote:

Originally posted by Twoinarow Twoinarow wrote:

Dundalk 1 in every 7.97 people attended our first home game
Cork 1 in every 35.75 people attended their first home game

But you keep telling yourself Cork have the best support, For a City your size, you should easily be getting more than 5000 every week

The thing is that we had that support when we were in the first division , That 1 in every 7.97 is nothing other than a band waggon statistic

Enjoy the good days while ye have them

had a look over on foot.ie of old attendances, and your average in the FD was in and around the same as our average in the FD.
2 in a row and we won it in Tallaght
Sponsored Links

Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by SteveEvans SteveEvans wrote:

Lads out of interest why do ye think that attendances have been so low in recent year? 
Its not just in recent years that attendances have been poor.
Around the early 00s wages were being thrown around like confetti. You had genuine international calibre players like Jason Byrne, Glen Crowe, Jo Ndo  etc. The first 2 were consistently in and around Ireland squads and Jo Ndo was part of 2 Cameron World cup squads. The product was about as high as it could get.
Yet the attendances didn't budge. So the attendances didn't justify the wages and most of the league went bust.

You can point to the usual culprits like our proximity to the EPL, GAA, Rugby etc. But even the GAA`s attendances are in decline.

There isn't the same culture of going to games that is even in Scotland where for the most part they are watching similar fare to what`s on offer in the LOI. Saying that, there`s plenty that can be done that`s not being done or not on a consistent basis anyway.

on top of this, what do you think clubs could be doing in order to increase attendances each week?

For me, social media is the key. Its free and its very easy to get to a huge target audience in 3 touches or less of your phone. While some clubs are using it well some don't even have functioning Twitter or Facebook pages.

It should be a licensing requirement to have regular social media updates. It doesn't take a lot to video a bit of a training session and throw it up online but that kind of stuff coupled with give aways and sponsors promotions keeps fans checking in and they`ll see when the next match is on too.
I hear clubs going on about distributing 1000s of fliers, its caveman stuff. The most of these fliers go into the bin 2 seconds after they are given out along with the ones for the local Chinese.
Sligo are putting on a bingo night at the beginning of April and the prize fund is 20k. I saw a flier on the wall of the local post office but it was simply because I`d be looking out for Rovers stuff that I saw it. It was completely lost on a message board wedged between fliers from Paddy selling bags of turf to Mick looking for his lost dog.

I think people who look down on the league with scorn are lost to it. When I'm asked what club I follow and I reply Sligo Rovers, I get the response "oh you`re one of them" or "No, who do you really follow?" as in what Sky franchise do I follow. Forget about getting them to go to LOI games.
LOI clubs should be targeting schools. Again, clubs are patchy in this area.
There should be a weekly designated LOI schools day where every league club heads to a local school and puts on training sessions, photo shoots and upload it all on to social media. Imagine a stream of pictures of LOI school visits flooding social media every Monday or Tuesday? Cheap as chips to do but great for the leagues image.
Kids remember that stuff and they tell everyone they know how Cork City, Sligo Rovers or Cobh Ramblers were in school today and they go home to their parents and bug them to bring them to a game.

Facilities also remain an issue. Its a big ask to ask a family to pay E50+ to go to a game when there aren't functioning toilets or sheltered areas in some grounds. The PD really should be the flag ship, places like Mcginn Park, Finn Park, United Park aren't up to standard and simply shouldn't be accepted as PD grounds. I know that would leave the clubs in a precarious position but it just isn't good enough when lights blow because the generator isn't capable of powering floodlights and the local chip van or there`s 6 inches of piss from the toilets flooding out the door or worse still boundary walls collapse.

Marketing has to be on a national basis with clubs tapping into it. I like the bill board initiative from Airtricity but they really aren't doing enough as sponsors when compared to what Lidl have done for women`s GAA football. Why can`t Airtricity run a TV campaign like Lidl did?

A way to ensure players leaving here command good transfer fees needs to be sorted out. Just in the last window a million euro of talent walked out of the league with Horgan and Boyle alone. Then there`s the pittances that were received for Forrester, Coleman, Doyle et.al.
3% of LOI clubs income comes from transfer fees while in Bosnia, a country with a similar population to ours, 30% of their income comes from player transfers.

Of course all of that needs to be co-ordinated from the top and templates and supports handed down. That's just not happening at the moment.

Edited by Bitored - 06 Mar 2017 at 4:04pm
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 4:03pm
The way Sligo are going their figure for attendances will be less than their figure for goals conceded......
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
ccfcmurphy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccfcmurphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 4:07pm

Originally posted by ccfcmurphy ccfcmurphy wrote:

Dundalk 1 in every 7.97 people attended our first home game
Cork 1 in every 35.75 people attended their first home game

But you keep telling yourself Cork have the best support, For a City your size, you should easily be getting more than 5000 every week

The thing is that we had that support when we were in the first division , That 1 in every 7.97 is nothing other than a band waggon statistic

Enjoy the good days while ye have them

had a look over on foot.ie of old attendances, and your average in the FD was in and around the same as our average in the FD.

I find that hard to believe as ye all supported Drogheda back then
There's no point being the richest man in the graveyard
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 4:14pm

Lads out of interest why do ye think that attendances have been so low in recent year? 
With the standard of football getting better every year one would think that attendances would increase, especially the exposure the league got with Dundalks European run.

On top of this, what do you think clubs could be doing in order to increase attendances each week?
Firstly, I am not so sure that the standard is getting better, Dundalk did exceptionally well in Europe but they were one team with some exceptional players, by the league's standards. Cork City have been reasonably strong too and made a rivalry with Dundalk but after that the gap was quite large. For the most part the standard has probably dipped, I think the period that followed the introduction of summer was probably the peak in terms of overall standard.

As for the reasons behind low attendances, there are so many that it is hard to pinpoint which are the most relevant.
I will get the FAI out of the way first, I don't like laying the blame for everything on their door but I think some clubs do and see them as a get out clause for their own failings. The FAI themselves  don't do enough to change the perception of the league, in fact they often make a mockery of it; see Gabay, Jonathan. 
I do think reducing the CEO of the associations salary and tacking it on to the league's prize money could only improve the perception.
While we are on the subject of the FAI it is worth mentioning that the league seems to lack a coherent marketing strategy for the game in the country. While clubs have to do more themselves, I will come back to that, again I feel the need to mention Mr Gabay, there doesn't seem to be any united focus on improving how the game is viewed. I do understand their difficulties when competing with Rugby and GAA, sports that have all their national heroes playing domestically but more must be done. It certainly isn't an easy task but it must be undertaken and , at the moment, it isn't.

Television is another issue. Most games that are shown on RTE feel as if it is a chore to broadcast them, not to mention the amateurish production of the highlights show shown at unsuitable times. I think the FAI should be using the national team games as a leverage when dealing with the state broadcaster and insist that these things be put right. Eir sports is an amateur outfit so I won't even bother there!
Other personal bugbears with the Irish medi, that are sure to have an affect on the public mindset, are things like news reports listing English and Scottish fixtures before Irish games, the need to over analyse every time some lads in Phibsborough or Tallaght decide to throw some shapes and the difficulty finding a match report in the broadsheets.  
I would also love to see the League covered by a newspaper in the same manner as the Daily Record covers the Scottish game, unfortunately it will never happen.

I think one of the biggest issues, certainly the most difficult to change, is cultural. I don't want to go down the lazy route by saying Ireland is a nation of 'event junkies' but there just isn't the culture of following a team, in any sport, week-in and week-out. It stems from the historical importance of the GAA, of a trip to Anfield/Old Trafford/Ashburton Grove once or twice a year. It is why the Heineken/H/'European' cup took off in rugby. If Cork and Dundalk are battling it out at the top of the table there will be another full house at Turners Cross, no matter what the result the crowd will drop by nearly half for the next home game. Compare that to teams from towns and areas of similar population in England and Scotland where they hold a regular attendance that isn't reliant on success.
For example Leyton Orient, who are in the middle of an awful run on and off the pitch, had a slightly higher  attendance at their last home game than they averaged when chasing the playoff places a division above.

I am still not sure if Friday nights are the best time for matches, although I do understand that this is very much a personal opinion. One reason I feel this is the lack of opportunity for away fans to travel. Larger away followings to places, particularly outside Dublin, would leave everybody in the town know there is a game on and creates free awareness. I am living in a town in England with a population of around 100k, on Saturday there was 1500 away fans about from early in the morning, the whole town knew there was a game without any need for extra promotion. When you follow your team away in the league of Ireland the locals often think you are mad! That is back to the cultural issue above though.
I do think Saturday evenings at 7.30/8.00 are more suited to football. It seems to work relatively well for Sligo Rovers.

Finally I come to the clubs themselves. For too long players wages were put above facilities which has been the ultimate case of putting the cart before the horse. Everything from bad toilets and rubbish food can be thrown at nearly every club over the past decade, taking the regular fan for granted and putting off the casual fan from becoming one. I am not sure how big the impact of this has been but some of the issues were quite easy to put right. The fact that Bohs were sneered at for trying to improve the food and drink options available does show the attitude within the league to this sort of thing! I enjoy crumbling grounds and the smell of boiled burgers and piss but it isn't going to be everybody's cup of tea!
The clubs too have had marketing men and PR men employed for years and it hasn't borne out in attendance or in the public imagination, perhaps someone who works for a club can explain why this is, is there too many barriers? Are their hands tied? Do clubs get the right people in for these roles?
Where I would be most critical is how trite and repetitive a lot of  the PR is from clubs, there seems to be a lack of novel ideas and an acceptance that it is easier to blame the FAI.

Edited by pre Madonna - 07 Mar 2017 at 4:57pm
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

Sligo are putting on a bingo night at the beginning of April and the prize fund is 20k. I saw a flier on the wall of the local post office but it was simply because I`d be looking out for Rovers stuff that I saw it. It was completely lost on a message board wedged between fliers from Paddy selling bags of turf to Mick looking for his lost dog.

It is something different and the club have been promoting it over all media platforms lately. And will do when it gets closer to the event as well. But you'd didn't mention that and preferred to have a go. Ermm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 4:25pm
Sorry BOR, I hadn't seen your post and I merely echoed a lot of your points.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

It is something different and the club have been promoting it over all media platforms lately. And will do when it gets closer to the event as well. But you'd didn't mention that and preferred to have a go. Ermm
No need to be so sensitive I'm not having a go. I was just pointing out the worthlessness of fliers.

I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

No harm at all Thumbs Up Few very good points in yours I hadn't thought of
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 4:59pm

Was trying to avoid mentioning specific clubs too much, for the very reasons you got pulled up on! 'But my club.....can't do anymore.......blah,blah, blah'LOL
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 5:01pm
I think the schools point is a really good one.
I know Rovers now have Graham Gartland working in a community role so I'd be hoping that working in schools will help to drive the next generation of fans.
For me, although I would class myself anything but a die-hard, the reason I started following Rovers as a kid was partly because they were successful and on TV a lot I suppose, but more so down to the fact that they used to come to my home town during the annual festival to play a 7-a-side exhibition on the beach so I had some sort of connection. 
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 5:13pm
It will be interesting to see Rovers next home game attendance figures . Plenty of young lads at the game out in Tallaght and I was surprised . Maybe it's a good sign for the future . I look forward to heading back out . Not sure when I'd make another game but Rovers v Cork on the 17th in tempting . Might even go in the away end and mix with the real capital of Ireland's people
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 5:35pm
Hopefully we'll get a good crowd this Friday against Bray and the opening day crowd against Derry wasnt just because it was the opening day, or people wont be turned off by two disappointing results. On the plus side there are no sh*t games for us this year as the games that youd sometimes term 'uninspiring' are actually 6 pointers now Ouch

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 06 Mar 2017 at 5:35pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 8:41pm

Was trying to avoid mentioning specific clubs too much, for the very reasons you got pulled up on! 'But my club.....can't do anymore.......blah,blah, blah'LOL
Yup, I take the time to write out a reply to someone's question and someone else picks one line from it so they can feel offended. My own fault really, I'm on here long enough to know better.

Edited by Bitored - 06 Mar 2017 at 8:45pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 4:58pm
Was there an official figure given for Buncrana?
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 5:12pm

It was a sell out, unfortunately the capacity was only 1,574.
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Online figures say capacity is 2500? Is that just an estimate?
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 5:27pm

Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Online figures say capacity is 2500? Is that just an estimate?

That information was second hand actually and doesn't seem to have any evidence backing it up Cry Seems no official attendance was given. 
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic