You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mexico - 1st June - Travel/Accomm/General chat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 10:50pm
Booking flights on pay day from San Diego. Can't wait!
Sponsored Links

Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Missy Missy wrote:

When its mathematical impossible for us to top the group I will then look at rankings.

I can see both sides but two things are for sure.

This game will have a negative effect on our ranking points regardless of result.

It'll be too late to look at rankings if it becomes impossible to top the group.

Rankings are close so it would have been best to give this one a miss. Or to have waited a couple of weeks for three more points before finalising.

Edited by Hickster74 - 27 Feb 2017 at 10:53pm
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 9:09am
I'd be fairly sure that Rolo has a better understanding of the rankings than anyone in the FAI, certainly he has more of an understanding than MON. A lot of journalists haven't got a clue about rankings either. 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 10:12am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by Dodgy jumper Dodgy jumper wrote:

Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

f**k sake lads, go and win the game, f**k the rankings 

I dont get this attitude.

Me too but I also don't get it when posters claim to be the only one who knows anything about the ranking system.

And shedite, it's not about winning the game, it's about not playing what might well be a totally unnecessary one (much and all as we can likely never know the answer to that).
But we're football fans. We voluntarily spend our time supporting a football team that plays football matches. What's the point in hoping our team would not play football just so we can see ourselves slightly higher in the world rankings.

We were Pot 1 in Euro 2004 and didn't qualify, we were Pot 3 in Euro 2012 and did qualify.
We were Pot 2 in WC 2006 and didn't qualify, we were Pot 3 in WC 2002 and did qualify.
We were Pot 3 in WC 2010 and WC2014 and didn't qualify, we were Pot 4 in WC2018 and are flying.

It's all luck, World Rankings are nice to see on paper, but I'd much prefer to see my team playing football than avoiding games.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 10:19am
Might as well make it a bit easier for ourselves. The FAI's job is for the good of Irish football, not to make a quick buck..They are FAIling on a lot of fronts however
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 10:30am
To those of you saying "F**k the rankings", I'd suggest you go and have a look how Wales found themselves in the semi final of Euro 2016. It wasn't by accident.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

To those of you saying "F**k the rankings", I'd suggest you go and have a look how Wales found themselves in the semi final of Euro 2016. It wasn't by accident.

I said that so had a look.

They came from Pot 4 in the qualifiers and beat a bunch of teams to qualify.

They were then in Pot 4 in the final draw and beat a bunch of teams to get to the semi final.

Winning matches is far better than avoiding matches.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 10:58am

They were then in Pot 4 in the final draw and beat a bunch of teams to get to the semi final.

Fair point - You are right in this instance.
I should have correctly referenced their seeding for the World Cup Qualifiers and probably referenced Holland more as a better example of what not paying attention to friendlies can do for you.

greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 12:30pm

I should have correctly referenced their seeding for the World Cup Qualifiers and probably referenced Holland more as a better example of what not paying attention to friendlies can do for you.

Yes Wales are No 1 seeds in our group

The group table is upsidedown a bit at the moment

There is a huge element of luck in the draws every time

Bottom line MON is the boss and he will be judged on results. I doubt very much he would agree to any friendly that he felt would jeopardize qualification

So far he's doing a good job
I know nothing :-)
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

Yes Wales are No 1 seeds in our group

The group table is upsidedown a bit at the moment

There is a huge element of luck in the draws every time

Bottom line MON is the boss and he will be judged on results. I doubt very much he would agree to any friendly that he felt would jeopardize qualification

So far he's doing a good job

But then having a better seeding means you are doing what you can to minimise this so-called luck going against you. 
O'Neill's contract is up until the end of this qualification campaign : He currently doesn't have a contract for when the impact of any seedings would be felt. Somebody has to have an eye on the bigger picture.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 12:49pm
There's no right or wrong answer here, some feel that a friendly in June where we can try new players is a great idea, some feel a friendly in June a few days before more important games is just distracting. I can see both sides of that argument and can agree to disagree.

Seems some people though are using it to have a cheap shot at the FAI saying "they only took it for the money"
Fozzy B View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozzy B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 5:06pm
just officially confirmed. 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 5:09pm
Wonder if this will be on the box. Will be a 1am ko our time on a Friday morning
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Wonder if this will be on the box. Will be a 1am ko our time on a Friday morning

Id say it will be on Eir Sport

Edited by Charlton's Child - 28 Feb 2017 at 5:10pm
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 5:45pm

What do the mean tickets only available for box office collection- does it mean at the stadium?

Yeah to prove that you've been to the game and then you'll get a ticket for Cardiff in October.
The dark side.. And the light
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

What do the mean tickets only available for box office collection- does it mean at the stadium?

Yeah to prove that you've been to the game and then you'll get a ticket for Cardiff in October.

Ye planning to harvest myself in this way. No chance they'll check. Just say you missed your flight.
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 5:54pm
This will be one for the superfan
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 9:50am
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

This will be one for the superfan
Absolutely...booked my hotel a short a while ago. Only a 4 night trip for me Mon-FriClapClapClap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
  Share Topic