You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mexico - 1st June - Travel/Accomm/General chat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 5:55pm
This is a debate for a quiet Sunday if ever I saw one
Sponsored Links

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 6:00pm
So what hotels have people booked in new jersey :)
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 6:03pm
Trump Tower, bringing Pipkin with a bannner   "Trump Out"LOL
I know nothing :-)
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I always felt the 2015 Friendly with England was the final nail in the coffin for friendly matches. No passion, no pride. Just going through the motions. Not necessarily the end of them, but an end in the interest that the public would have with them.

My feelings too. Huge crowd and was a complete letdown for everyone there.

Saying that, you need to have friendlies. Since the last friendlies in the US in 2014, friendlies have been few and far between. we need games to get players and the team to gel. Id also say we compare very favourably to other nations in the amount of friendlies we have had the past 2 years
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 7:51pm
Greenforever: if so many of those friendlies were so important, why did Wales do so well with so few friendlies?

I think you could make an argument that there's fault in the need for three friendlies before euro 2012 when two would have been plenty (you definitely can't say they helped anyway, given the performances), the three Oman games, Georgia at home (with the Faroes next we hardly needed it), Latvia, the need for three games in the USA tour when two would have done, two of the four pre-Euro 2016 games (I don't think we learnt anything from the Slovakia game), and at least one of three games between Wales and Austria. That's at least ten, and you can make an argument against more than that. Training matches accomplish as much, if not more, than some of those games.

I really don't think there's a need to play more than five friendlies annually. Three is plenty. Well selected opposition at the right time is all that's required. The Uruguay game alone would have done it. Certainly, friendlies after qualifiers have little or no benefit. Before the season starts, players don't want to get injured and harm their chances of a good start to the season. The same applies to games during the season; why would players risk anything in what they no doubt see as "meaningless" games (do you think they care about rankings)? Club form is much more important than how a player did during thirty minutes of a friendly against Iceland or Mexico reserves; see the McGeady thread for this. And at the end of the season, no doubt they just want to go on holiday; the games rarely have any competitive bite.

There is an argument that way more than four of those friendlies were not merited, anyway. And there's no doubt that loads of them harmed our ranking.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 26 Feb 2017 at 7:57pm
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Greenforever: if so many of those friendlies were so important, why did Wales do so well with so few friendlies?

What would Wales actually achieve with these friendlies if they did play them? 
Ever since Bale signed for Madrid the week we played them in a friendly back 2013, Florentino Perez has made Coleman his bitch and has never called him up for friendlies since.
And as the stereotype goes, a Wales without Bale is a terrible team so playing friendlies would be utterly pointless for them.

The same question could be asked for our Mexico match. What does it actually achieve? Other than commercial gone, none.

Edited by coyne - 26 Feb 2017 at 8:42pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 10:22pm

I think you could make an argument that there's fault in the need for three friendlies before euro 2012 when two would have been plenty (you definitely can't say they helped anyway, given the performances), the three Oman games, Georgia at home (with the Faroes next we hardly needed it), Latvia, the need for three games in the USA tour when two would have done, two of the four pre-Euro 2016 games (I don't think we learnt anything from the Slovakia game), and at least one of three games between Wales and Austria. That's at least ten, and you can make an argument against more than that. Training matches accomplish as much, if not more, than some of those games.

I really don't think there's a need to play more than five friendlies annually. Three is plenty. Well selected opposition at the right time is all that's required. The Uruguay game alone would have done it. Certainly, friendlies after qualifiers have little or no benefit. Before the season starts, players don't want to get injured and harm their chances of a good start to the season. The same applies to games during the season; why would players risk anything in what they no doubt see as "meaningless" games (do you think they care about rankings)? Club form is much more important than how a player did during thirty minutes of a friendly against Iceland or Mexico reserves; see the McGeady thread for this. And at the end of the season, no doubt they just want to go on holiday; the games rarely have any competitive bite.

There is an argument that way more than four of those friendlies were not merited, anyway. And there's no doubt that loads of them harmed our ranking.

MON took over in Nov 13, we had 8 friendlies before our next qualifier.

Do you think he had no input into any of these games?

The Nov games were already, but the next 6 were surely arranged with his approval.

As a rookie international manager, I reckon that those games were very beneficial. 

I also doubt if they would have had that many games if MON did not want them.

While we wont agree, I will leave it with MON, as manager he should be dictating the kind of games and number of games we play.

rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

MON took over in Nov 13, we had 8 friendlies before our next qualifier.

Do you think he had no input into any of these games?

The Nov games were already, but the next 6 were surely arranged with his approval.

As a rookie international manager, I reckon that those games were very beneficial. 

I also doubt if they would have had that many games if MON did not want them.

While we wont agree, I will leave it with MON, as manager he should be dictating the kind of games and number of games we play.

Of course MON approves every single friendly game. Nobody is arguing to the contrary ffs.

But he doesn't know the implications of accepting them. Simple as. When quizzed a couple of years ago, he said he hadn't been aware friendlies counted towards ranking points. It's clear he isn't even aware that winning a friendly does more damage to your ranking than not playing a friendly.

It's up to his bosses to fill him in. If they just keep offering him friendlies, he'll accept most (if not all) of them!

As you are the chief apologist for the FAI, Im not surprised you're trying to divert all blame from them onto the manager.

"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 6:41pm
Losing sight of the goal of wc qualification for a paycheque where else would you get it.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 7:22pm
Money is king for the FAI .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 7:54pm
The ranking rules have not changed, it's only becoming a bit of thing since wales climbed so high in a quick space of time and made a point about the tactic of skipping friendlies.
Most other organisations and managers are still organising friendlies for the main purpose of team preparation and financial gain. So nothing new in setting up a friendly like this we usually do a US trip in the summers when no tournament is on. So as said, nothing new.

As a squad, who wouldn't like the idea of a few days in New York. Pretty sure O'Neill would be involved in the decision and seen a benefit.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 8:11pm
f**k sake lads, go and win the game, f**k the rankings 
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I dont get this attitude.

"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

You can't see the other side of an argument

The most important thing is 3 points against Austria and its up to the manager to decide what ate the best preparations.

If MON is not up to the job he should be replaced

Maybe if MON is that incompetent Kerrzy needs to get the bed sheet back out.
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

You can't see the other side of an argument

The most important thing is 3 points against Austria and its up to the manager to decide what ate the best preparations.

If MON is not up to the job he should be replaced

Maybe if MON is that incompetent Kerrzy needs to get the bed sheet back out.

This. If the squad end up in Harry Ramdsens and then go on to hockey Austria 3-0 nobody will give a flying monkey's flute what transpired in New Jersey any more tham how much our ranking in 1986 might have been affected by the latent aerodynamics of Tony Galvin shaving his balls before we played Luxembourg. 
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Dodgy jumper Dodgy jumper wrote:

Me too but I also don't get it when posters claim to be the only one who knows anything about the ranking system.

In fairness to rolo, he's never claimed that.

And shedite, it's not about winning the game, it's about not playing what might well be a totally unnecessary one (much and all as we can likely never know the answer to that).
Missy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 9:27pm
When its mathematical impossible for us to top the group I will then look at rankings.
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 10:44pm
I think this is a great match to test out other players. I would like to see a team like this :

Rob Elliot

Matt Doherty
John Egan
Daragh Lenihan
Greg Cunningham

Liam Kelly
Alan Browne
Ryan Manning
Conor Hourihane
Daryl Horgan

Callum O'Dowda

Sub : Connor Ronan, Josh Cullen