Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

San (Stan) Marino 10 years on

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by irelandshirts irelandshirts wrote:

Ireland was in great form for us back then.His winners v san Marino and v wales at home.

Just a real shame that the sudden demise of all sixteen of his grandmothers put about an end to that purple patch

Edited by Sligo Hornet - 08 Feb 2017 at 1:47pm
Sponsored Links

Stretchryan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stretchryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 1:39pm
Fine head of hair on him too.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Stretchryan Stretchryan wrote:

Fine head of hair on him too.

He got the transplant by the time of the away game in Slovakia and apparently was sensitive to the sl*gging. Don't know how much truth was in that story.

He took his goal brilliantly in that away game after a smart dummy by Keane. Fantastic first touch very classy cool finish.

And to think he's still only 30 years old. Would've been a great asset to have if he had a good attitude.

Edited by irishmufc - 08 Feb 2017 at 2:01pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

You know yourself Podge, when the sh*t hits the fan everyone gets the blame, when we draw the aces Delaney takes the praise.

That's hardly Zeno behind the 'Delaney Out' banner?

I like that sentence Reddladd. Something vary catchy about it and would look great on a banner draping from the top of Landsdowne Rd ... sorry Aviva
forza trapp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forza trapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 3:01pm
What ever about the result the low point for me was the FAI wheeling out Bobby Robson to defend Stan on the Joe Duffy show. To hear a once great football man being grilled by Duffy and his gobsh*te listeners who prob never go to a game was truly awful, unforgiveable stroke by the FAI.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by forza trapp forza trapp wrote:

What ever about the result the low point for me was the FAI wheeling out Bobby Robson to defend Stan on the Joe Duffy show. To hear a once great football man being grilled by Duffy and his gobsh*te listeners who prob never go to a game was truly awful, unforgiveable stroke by the FAI.

Bobby should have told Delaney to go and f**k himself. He owed us nothing.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 3:09pm
I think now with the passage of time Stan will once again be remembered fondly for the player he was, now that the wounds from his disastrous campaign have subsided. Personally i'd be happy if at any mention of Stan in an Irish football context his managerial stint was never again acknowledged. A decent man and a figure the Irish football public were fond of thrown in completely out of his depth, but i don't begrudge him for taking the job on.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 08 Feb 2017 at 3:11pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 3:46pm
I wonder how the GerK got on in this trip?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 3:55pm
I could just about cope with yer man's injury time winner, but when Stan said on the post match interview that we showed great "team spirit", I nearly chucked the tv out the windows.

Team poxy spirit in beating that lot?

THE low point watching Ireland.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

LOL
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 4:44pm
Clown
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

I could just about cope with yer man's injury time winner, but when Stan said on the post match interview that we showed great "team spirit", I nearly chucked the tv out the windows.

Team poxy spirit in beating that lot?

THE low point watching Ireland.
This

Imagine needing 'great team spirit' to beat a poxy crowd like San Marino! We should have been well able to coast to an effortless win like we had done in Dublin. Angry

I can't remember being so angry and embarrassed watching Ireland as I was that night. The 5-2 against Cyprus was close enough though, when the alarm bells first started ringing on Stan's reign.
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

LOL

What's this about, did the thick end up going to San Francisco or something?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

LOL

What's this about, did the thick end up going to San Francisco or something?

At a guess, I'm going to say Miami.

Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Feck, hard to believe its 10 years ago!
I`ll freely admit I was willing San Marino to hold on for the draw, it would have been massive for them and it would've helped us get rid of Stan.

Same here. Was actually slightly raging when Stephen Ireland got the winner as it got JD off the hook. No way could Stan have survived if it had remained 1-1
Ya it was a surreal feeling when Ireland scored,  I was gutted for San Marino. I had  given up qualification hopes long before the game so I was just hoping a rock bottom result like that would shake the sh1t out of Irish football.

Honestly fcuk San Marino. Let them worry about themselves.

You'd be quiet happy for us to have had another 'Leichenstein' and forever be associated with an embarrassing draw in San Marino that would make us a laughing stock?! Confused

I can understand the lads on here not attending Ireland games due their bad treatment by the FAI but to not want the team to win 100% of the time just means you can't possibly call yourself an Irish supporter/fan as it's conditional on certain factors manager/CEO/state of Irish football.
Ah will you go away out of that crap.
I was hoping for rock bottom so we could get rid of an inept manager and potentially put pressure on an inept CEO.
I`m positive I wasn't the only one with this mind-set and it just highlights the bleak period we were going through.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 6:09pm

I`ll freely admit I was willing San Marino to hold on for the draw, it would have been massive for them and it would've helped us get rid of Stan.

Same here. Was actually slightly raging when Stephen Ireland got the winner as it got JD off the hook. No way could Stan have survived if it had remained 1-1
Ya it was a surreal feeling when Ireland scored,  I was gutted for San Marino. I had  given up qualification hopes long before the game so I was just hoping a rock bottom result like that would shake the sh1t out of Irish football.

You'd be quiet happy for us to have had another 'Leichenstein' and forever be associated with an embarrassing draw in San Marino that would make us a laughing stock?! Confused

I can understand the lads on here not attending Ireland games due their bad treatment by the FAI but to not want the team to win 100% of the time just means you can't possibly call yourself an Irish supporter/fan as it's conditional on certain factors manager/CEO/state of Irish football.
I was hoping for rock bottom so we could get rid of an inept manager and potentially put pressure on an inept CEO.
I`m positive I wasn't the only one with this mind-set and it just highlights the bleak period we were going through.

No matter how bad Stan was, we'd never have lived that down.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

No matter how bad Stan was, we'd never have lived that down.
It may have been the ultimate reset button.
A 2-1 win is probably well inside our top 5 worst results anyway. No positives to be taken out of this episode.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 6:31pm
Was listing to Kevin kilbane take about this on Newstalk last night . He was pretty embarrassed about it and wasn't really comfortable talking about it or stan
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 8:39pm

And if we're in similar circumstances (still an inept CEO but good manager) you'd actively hope our players don't get the win.Unhappy It's not the players fault there was a bad management set up at all levels and under Trap, I'm sure there were Irish fans hoping the team would fail in the short term to benefit us in the long term but it's poor form imo to not want our team to win every game no matter what you think of the management set up or structure around them at the time. 

I'd rather someone boycott the home and away games if you felt that way than want us to be embarrassed in San Marino because that would've been even worse than us getting out of jail with maximum points. 

Funnily enough Wales only beat them 2-1 over there too LOL

Don't really mean to be having a go at yourself or Irwin either.Thumbs Up I just don't agree with the short term sacrifice for long term gain approach when all our Irish sides run themselves into the ground no matter who's in charge  
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic