Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 9:42pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: San (Stan) Marino 10 years on
Posted By: Denis Irwin
Subject: San (Stan) Marino 10 years on
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:33am
Was 10 years ago yesterday

Good article from Dan McDonnell in the Indo

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/ten-years-on-from-grim-night-for-the-gaffer-in-san-marino-35433166.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/ten-years-on-from-grim-night-for-the-gaffer-in-san-marino-35433166.html

An interesting snippet or two in it

7 of the ten man board from that period are still on it shock horror...

Also the game Long made his debut

Replies:
Posted By: BigPodge
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:46am
I see our great leader was as spineless then as he is now...

Delaney eventually appeared on Today FM. "I speak on behalf of the FAI but I didn't make the decision to appoint Bobby and Steve on my own", he declared, pointing out it was the board's call.

-------------

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:48am
You know yourself Podge, when the sh*t hits the fan everyone gets the blame, when we draw the aces Delaney takes the praise.

That's hardly Zeno behind the 'Delaney Out' banner?

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:51am
Shameless f**ker sending out a gentleman like Bobby Robson to take the the flack despite the fact he was ill with cancer

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:54am
2500 made that trip?

Would be a nice June or September away trip if we got them again in qualifiers. Would do the week in Italy.  

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:57am
Stayed in Rimini, lovely beach, we just didnt have the weather. Good trip apart from the match.

Posted By: Bitored
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:59am
Feck, hard to believe its 10 years ago!
I`ll freely admit I was willing San Marino to hold on for the draw, it would have been massive for them and it would've helped us get rid of Stan.

The thing that stands out for me was a few weeks before the match Mario Rosenstock did an almost prophetic skint on the radio set a couple of years after the match where he was interviewing Ireland manager Roy Keane about the infamous draw in San Marino.
It was all supposed to be mad stuff to make you laugh because of course we could never draw with San Marino and Keane could never have any part in an Irish set up.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

I`ll freely admit I was willing San Marino to hold on for the draw, it would have been massive for them and it would've helped us get rid of Stan.

Same here. Was actually slightly raging when Stephen Ireland got the winner as it got JD off the hook. No way could Stan have survived if it had remained 1-1

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:05am
An awful night. I was fuming when the players celebrated the winner. San Marion were robbed as well. The ref played about 30 seconds more injury time than what the 4th official held up. It should have been blown up when San Marino cleared it for the throw in that led to our second goal.

One of the very low points in my almost 30 years following Ireland.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:15am

@Bitored & Denis Irwin

I was embarrassingly jumping round the house with relief when we got the winner but no matter what you think of the manager or Delaney, I can't fathom how you wouldn't want us to win. Supporting Ireland should be unconditional and above factors like the manager, or CEO of the FAI or because Roy Keane wasn't playing etc etc  It's the same mentality that hope we would fail under Trap if it mean't getting rid of him.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Same here. Was actually slightly raging when Stephen Ireland got the winner as it got JD off the hook. No way could Stan have survived if it had remained 1-1
Ya it was a surreal feeling when Ireland scored,  I was gutted for San Marino. I had  given up qualification hopes long before the game so I was just hoping a rock bottom result like that would shake the sh1t out of Irish football.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:29am
What an up and down trip that was. Defo great to see somewhere new though as Sham says, Rimini would have been a far better place to visit in June. Cracking kick around in the car park before the game followed by a few cans. Nobody told the locals about UEFA regulations as they were selling cans out of a trolley in the ground ! One toilet was never going to be enough for everyone so we can told by the cops to go out of the ground at half time and p1ss against the side of the national sports centre !
Too much Vodka red bull drank in some English bar that night - Ended up leaving the San Marino shirt I bought there and had to go back to try and find it ! 12 hour delay on the flight back the next day due to snow in London !

Remember the game being awful - Remember having a serious moan to Stephen Hunt's parents on the way out (didn't know who they were at that stage). Really did feel like the start of the end for Stan that night.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:37am

Ya it was a surreal feeling when Ireland scored,  I was gutted for San Marino. I had  given up qualification hopes long before the game so I was just hoping a rock bottom result like that would shake the sh1t out of Irish football.

Honestly fcuk San Marino. Let them worry about themselves.

You'd be quiet happy for us to have had another 'Leichenstein' and forever be associated with an embarrassing draw in San Marino that would make us a laughing stock?! Confused

I can understand the lads on here not attending Ireland games due their bad treatment by the FAI but to not want the team to win 100% of the time just means you can't possibly call yourself an Irish supporter/fan as it's conditional on certain factors manager/CEO/state of Irish football.

-------------

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:42am
Not a bad lineup that night....

Henderson
Finnan, Dunne, O'Shea (McShane 45), Harte (Hunt 74)
Duff, Carsley, Ireland, Kilbane
Long (Stokes 80), Keane.

Subs Not Used: Colgan, Alan Quinn, Keogh, Gibson.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:49am
It was a f**king sh*t show muff. JD didn't give two f**ks then and doesn't give two f**ks now. The ends would have justified the means and I'll make no apology for it.(FWIW I didn't wish for anything other than a win before the start of the game) We were promised a "World Class manager" by the dear leader after Kerr was sacked and he gave the job to Staunton who had f**k all managerial or coaching experience (Don't blame Staunton for taking it btw who wouldn't want the chance to manage their country. It was evident after the game in Cyprus that Staunton was way out of his depth IMO. The draw against the Czechs and the 5-0 win over San Marino merely paperd over the cracks IMO.

-------------

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:49am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

You'd be quiet happy for us to have had another 'Leichenstein' and forever be associated with an embarrassing draw in San Marino that would make us a laughing stock?! Confused

I can understand the lads on here not attending Ireland games due their bad treatment by the FAI but to not want the team to win 100% of the time just means you can't possibly call yourself an Irish supporter/fan as it's conditional on certain factors manager/CEO/state of Irish football.

Sure there are plenty happy to see Ireland lose just read the Rugby thread

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:58am
The FAI had invited a delegation of League of Ireland managers on the trip as they had just taken over the running of the league.

A couple of the bosses were slightly taken aback by the uninspiring nature of the Irish warm-up; they didn't expect to see elite players preparing for a European Championship qualifier by participating in a drill that involved a bit of piggybacking.

WTF LOL

edit: Who was carrying Dunne?

-------------

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

The FAI had invited a delegation of League of Ireland managers on the trip as they had just taken over the running of the league.

A couple of the bosses were slightly taken aback by the uninspiring nature of the Irish warm-up; they didn't expect to see elite players preparing for a European Championship qualifier by participating in a drill that involved a bit of piggybacking.

WTF LOL

The players preferred this is watching DVDs studying the opposition.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

WTF LOL

i suppose you could say it was a strength  drill

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:21am

It was a f**king sh*t show muff. JD didn't give two f**ks then and doesn't give two f**ks now. The ends would have justified the means and I'll make no apology for it.(FWIW I didn't wish for anything other than a win before the start of the game) We were promised a "World Class manager" by the dear leader after Kerr was sacked and he gave the job to Staunton who had f**k all managerial or coaching experience (Don't blame Staunton for taking it btw who wouldn't want the chance to manage their country. It was evident after the game in Cyprus that Staunton was way out of his depth IMO. The draw against the Czechs and the 5-0 win over San Marino merely paperd over the cracks IMO.

That's the same thing as people wanting Ireland to lose if it means getting rid of Trap/Delaney or whoever. Delaney's conduct has no bearing on me and it shouldn't on you wanting Ireland to win before, during or after a match.

As bad as it was and low as it was, the players on the pitch saved us from even worse embarrassment if we left San Marino with dropped points.

There would've been misguided fools (mostly Irish United fans) in 2002 who would have wanted Ireland to do badly at the world cup if it mean't reinstating Keane and getting rid of McCarthy of the next campaign.

I cannot stand this mentality of slitting your own throat in the short term in the hope it improves thing in the long term, hoping your team loses or draws if it means getting rid of the manager.

Anyone that thinks like that can't really be a genuine fan or supporter of the national side as your basing your loyalty on certain conditions. A bit like the event junkies who follow the team when the sun is shining last year in at the Euros.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:24am
I'm not a genuine fan ? Mind you don't fall off that f**king high horse

-------------

Posted By: cathalb96
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:30am
Losing 5-2 away to Cyprus after leading, drawing 1-1 at home to Cyprus with a late equaliser and beating San Marino 2-1 away with an injury time winner, f*ck me what a grim campaign that was

-------------
Cathal Bourke

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:45am
I remember when the second goal went in i laughed in disbelief more than anything but was still furious, what an embarrassment of a night that was. After the shock and horror of the Cyprus hammering and then the irrelevant formality of the San Marino home game, that came along. 

For me the Slovakia last minute equaliser sticks out in the memory as much as this game and Cyprus. That was one of the most sickening moments of the last ten years. Cyprus was bad but it was a sh*t performance from top to bottom, as was San Marino. Slovakia away was an absolute hammer blow in the 90th minute, proper sickening and i think that killed all of our hopes. With the home wins against Wales and Slovakia there was actually a slight glimmer of hope, think we hammered someone like denmark in a friendly around then as well and believed against all proper wisdom that there was a chance that just maybe we had turned a corner. 

Even Alaba's last minute equaliser 4 years ago wasnt as bad as that as we still had it in our hands when Sweden came. Slovakia away in 2007 and Israel at home a couple years before that, two of the biggest sickeners in recent memory

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:48am
Nearly lost at home to Cyprus as well only for a last minute Matt Holland goal

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:50am

Nearly lost at home to Cyprus as well only for a last minute Matt Holland goal

That was a glorified friendly, we had nothing to play for. The atmosphere in the ground was fairly poisonous against Stan that night, but not as bad as it might have been because everyone knew he was on his way out.

-------------

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:53am
It was Steve Finnan. Probably the least celebrated goal ever.
Had a spare ticket that I couldn't get shot of. Ended up giving it to a friend of mine for free and he left after Cyprus scored.

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 12:03pm
My first away trip. Based in Rimini which was nice, decent enough weather during the day but freezing at night. I was so cold at the game I bought a San Marino hat, scarf and jersey
Myself, The saint, Sledgehammer and a few others were on the foot.ie* (I think) bus, which left San Marino old town without us on way to the ground, luckily we thumbed a lift off some lovely people.
Also remember bring a full tray to the game and being stopped by heavily armed police, only to be told to open them and bring in as many as we wanted

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

My first away trip. Based in Rimini which was nice, decent enough weather during the day but freezing at night. I was so cold at the game I bought a San Marino hat, scarf and jersey
Myself, The saint, Sledgehammer and a few others were on the foot.ie* (I think) bus, which left San Marino old town without us on way to the ground, luckily we thumbed a lift off some lovely people.
Also remember bring a full tray to the game and being stopped by heavily armed police, only to be told to open them and bring in as many as we wanted

The cops there were sound - Remember the ball going over the fence into the ground during the pre-game kick around. One of the cops more than happy to rescue it for us so the game could continue !

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 12:17pm

I'm not a genuine fan ? Mind you don't fall off that f**king high horse

No high horse involved mate when expecting fellow Irish fans to want our team to win irrespective of other factors.

I also wasn't the one hoping we'd draw against the mountainmen either.

Okay, so you're a genuine fan as long as certain conditions are met and if Ireland are ever going through similar circumstances again, by your logic you'll be hoping the minnow they're playing get a result against us.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 12:22pm
Where did I say I was hoping for a draw ? I explicitly stated in a previous post that before the game I wasn't hoping for anything other than a win. I also stated 'slightly raging' bit of a difference. But you continue on your superfan high horse.

-------------

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 12:43pm
Such a mental reign under Stan. Great start with a convincing friendly win against the Swede's 3-0. Narrow away defeat to the German's in the opening qualifier which has no shame in it. Disastrous result against Cyprus but followed up with a spirited performance and a credible draw against Czech.

We then won our next 4 qualifiers to put us back in contention, albeit 2 against San Marino but I think the wheels really came off with that late Slovakian equaliser in Bratislava. If we'd have won that, we may have gone to Prague a few days later full of confidence. Our campaign was over the minute that Slovakian goal went in!

Had we held on for that win, and snuck a draw in Prague..........If me auntie had bo11ocks......

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 12:44pm

Where did I say I was hoping for a draw ? I explicitly stated in a previous post that before the game I wasn't hoping for anything other than a win. I also stated 'slightly raging' bit of a difference. But you continue on your superfan high horse.

Never mind throwing the highhorse charge at me but your post agreed with Bitored when you stated 'Same here' after he posted that he was willing for a draw. That looked like you were also hoping for a draw or were at least were conflicted as it got Stan/JD off the hook.

If that's not what you were saying fair enough and you were also glad we got out of jail but like on the rugby thread, I can understand people being indifferent to our rugby side but actively hoping they lose because they don't like the fans or snobbiness of the rugby crowd is just ridiculous.

-------------

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 12:47pm
Never mind about the result as "we always play better in March " ..............

Never forget that one liner from Stan .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: irelandshirts
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 1:17pm
Ireland was in great form for us back then.His winners v san Marino and v wales at home.

-------------
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 1:17pm
Not surprised that f**ker gave away his jersey.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 1:21pm
The bottom team in that seasons LOI 1st division would have hammered that San Marino team.

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by irelandshirts irelandshirts wrote:

Ireland was in great form for us back then.His winners v san Marino and v wales at home.

Just a real shame that the sudden demise of all sixteen of his grandmothers put about an end to that purple patch

Posted By: Stretchryan
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 1:39pm
Fine head of hair on him too.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Stretchryan Stretchryan wrote:

He got the transplant by the time of the away game in Slovakia and apparently was sensitive to the sl*gging. Don't know how much truth was in that story.

He took his goal brilliantly in that away game after a smart dummy by Keane. Fantastic first touch very classy cool finish.

And to think he's still only 30 years old. Would've been a great asset to have if he had a good attitude.

-------------

Posted By: pateen
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

You know yourself Podge, when the sh*t hits the fan everyone gets the blame, when we draw the aces Delaney takes the praise.

That's hardly Zeno behind the 'Delaney Out' banner?

I like that sentence Reddladd. Something vary catchy about it and would look great on a banner draping from the top of Landsdowne Rd ... sorry Aviva

Posted By: forza trapp
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 3:01pm
What ever about the result the low point for me was the FAI wheeling out Bobby Robson to defend Stan on the Joe Duffy show. To hear a once great football man being grilled by Duffy and his gobsh*te listeners who prob never go to a game was truly awful, unforgiveable stroke by the FAI.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by forza trapp forza trapp wrote:

What ever about the result the low point for me was the FAI wheeling out Bobby Robson to defend Stan on the Joe Duffy show. To hear a once great football man being grilled by Duffy and his gobsh*te listeners who prob never go to a game was truly awful, unforgiveable stroke by the FAI.

Bobby should have told Delaney to go and f**k himself. He owed us nothing.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 3:09pm
I think now with the passage of time Stan will once again be remembered fondly for the player he was, now that the wounds from his disastrous campaign have subsided. Personally i'd be happy if at any mention of Stan in an Irish football context his managerial stint was never again acknowledged. A decent man and a figure the Irish football public were fond of thrown in completely out of his depth, but i don't begrudge him for taking the job on.

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 3:46pm
I wonder how the GerK got on in this trip?

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 3:55pm
I could just about cope with yer man's injury time winner, but when Stan said on the post match interview that we showed great "team spirit", I nearly chucked the tv out the windows.

Team poxy spirit in beating that lot?

THE low point watching Ireland.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

LOL

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 4:44pm
Clown
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

I could just about cope with yer man's injury time winner, but when Stan said on the post match interview that we showed great "team spirit", I nearly chucked the tv out the windows.

Team poxy spirit in beating that lot?

THE low point watching Ireland.
This

Imagine needing 'great team spirit' to beat a poxy crowd like San Marino! We should have been well able to coast to an effortless win like we had done in Dublin. Angry

I can't remember being so angry and embarrassed watching Ireland as I was that night. The 5-2 against Cyprus was close enough though, when the alarm bells first started ringing on Stan's reign.

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: BigPodge
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

LOL

What's this about, did the thick end up going to San Francisco or something?

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

LOL

What's this about, did the thick end up going to San Francisco or something?

At a guess, I'm going to say Miami.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 5:54pm

Ah will you go away out of that crap.
I was hoping for rock bottom so we could get rid of an inept manager and potentially put pressure on an inept CEO.
I`m positive I wasn't the only one with this mind-set and it just highlights the bleak period we were going through.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 6:09pm

I was hoping for rock bottom so we could get rid of an inept manager and potentially put pressure on an inept CEO.
I`m positive I wasn't the only one with this mind-set and it just highlights the bleak period we were going through.

No matter how bad Stan was, we'd never have lived that down.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

No matter how bad Stan was, we'd never have lived that down.
It may have been the ultimate reset button.
A 2-1 win is probably well inside our top 5 worst results anyway. No positives to be taken out of this episode.

-------------

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 6:31pm
Was listing to Kevin kilbane take about this on Newstalk last night . He was pretty embarrassed about it and wasn't really comfortable talking about it or stan

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 8:39pm

And if we're in similar circumstances (still an inept CEO but good manager) you'd actively hope our players don't get the win.Unhappy It's not the players fault there was a bad management set up at all levels and under Trap, I'm sure there were Irish fans hoping the team would fail in the short term to benefit us in the long term but it's poor form imo to not want our team to win every game no matter what you think of the management set up or structure around them at the time. 

I'd rather someone boycott the home and away games if you felt that way than want us to be embarrassed in San Marino because that would've been even worse than us getting out of jail with maximum points. 

Funnily enough Wales only beat them 2-1 over there too LOL

Don't really mean to be having a go at yourself or Irwin either.Thumbs Up I just don't agree with the short term sacrifice for long term gain approach when all our Irish sides run themselves into the ground no matter who's in charge  

-------------

Posted By: planning
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 8:45pm
Watched the game at home. We looked to see the game out at 1-0, despite been under no pressure whatsoever, so nothing like a San Marino goal then to wake the players, up. Those last 8 minutes were more entertaining than the previous 86. In the end, it was just another team winning a game in San Marino.

Staunton said he would be happy with a narrow win and that's what he got. His only saving grace being that it was the last ever live Ireland game on TV3, so no Dunphy around to kick him backwards and sideways. Matt Holland was never going to kick his mate. Instead Dunphy had to wait until the Gerry Ryan Show the next day to rehash his usual rants at the time.

-------------
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 8:57pm
saw the highlights of that game doing the rounds today. I had wrongly remembered it as a ball breaking for the san marino lad through on goal that he finished well. Christ the defending for it was beyond laughable.

-------------

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:05pm

He got the transplant by the time of the away game in Slovakia and apparently was sensitive to the sl*gging. Don't know how much truth was in that story.

He took his goal brilliantly in that away game after a smart dummy by Keane. Fantastic first touch very classy cool finish.

And to think he's still only 30 years old. Would've been a great asset to have if he had a good attitude.

Maybe he'd be sitting with 70 cap's and our midfield general now, if he hadn't inherited male pattern baldness.

It's his grandad on his mam's side I blame, not his assorted grannies Smile

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:08pm

And if we're in similar circumstances (still an inept CEO but good manager) you'd actively hope our players don't get the win.Unhappy It's not the players fault there was a bad management set up at all levels and under Trap, I'm sure there were Irish fans hoping the team would fail in the short term to benefit us in the long term but it's poor form imo to not want our team to win every game no matter what you think of the management set up or structure around them at the time. 

I'd rather someone boycott the home and away games if you felt that way than want us to be embarrassed in San Marino because that would've been even worse than us getting out of jail with maximum points. 

Funnily enough Wales only beat them 2-1 over there too LOL

Don't really mean to be having a go at yourself or Irwin either.Thumbs Up I just don't agree with the short term sacrifice for long term gain approach when all our Irish sides run themselves into the ground no matter who's in charge  
Fair enough Thumbs Up
It was an exceptional set of circumstances and it is the only Ireland game I have ever watched where I thought a poor result would be better in the long run for Ireland.
Even during the Cyprus game when it went 4-2 I was full sure we`d pull it back to 4-4 and get out with the point LOL It just seemed like that kind of a mad game.

Wales were a minnow at that time and they were also 2-0 before they conceded. A very different situation to our near draw.

-------------

Posted By: greenforever
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Maybe he'd be sitting with 70 cap's and our midfield general now, if he hadn't inherited male pattern baldness.

It's his grandad on his mam's side I blame, not his assorted grannies Smile

Funninest post in a long time

-------------
I know nothing :-)

Posted By: 1874eire
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:09pm
Worst thing was the fact that we were in a really poor group and if we had our sh!t together we probably would have qualified automatically as the top two went through at that time. We didn't have a bad group of players.

Posted By: Nib
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:12pm
What was the game where Stan snuck up behind Tony O'Donoghue who was doing an interview and made a stupid face into the camera?

Dunphy flipped out big time.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by 1874eire 1874eire wrote:

Worst thing was the fact that we were in a really poor group and if we had our sh!t together we probably would have qualified automatically as the top two went through at that time. We didn't have a bad group of players.
I don't know if you can say that for sure. The Czechs and Germans were two decent sides then, the Czechs actually topped the group.
No doubt we should have put up a challenge for second. We had a squad far superior to the one that went to Poland/Ukraine.

-------------

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:39pm
I'm fairly sure TV3 showed this match as did the 5-2 vs Cyprus and the Macedonia game last minute equaliser blame them ****s.

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:41pm

I think now with the passage of time Stan will once again be remembered fondly for the player he was, now that the wounds from his disastrous campaign have subsided. Personally i'd be happy if at any mention of Stan in an Irish football context his managerial stint was never again acknowledged. A decent man and a figure the Irish football public were fond of thrown in completely out of his depth, but i don't begrudge him for taking the job on.

I disagree with that to be honest. I dunno is that because I was at the games in Cyprus & San Marino, but any time I see or hear mention of Stan, the first thing I think of is that disastrous campaign rather than the stellar Irish career as a player. 

There is a number of things about the era & games under Stan that are kind of taken as fact these days, but don't really tally with my own memory of things. The Swedes in that friendly were as disinterested a bunch of lads who ever showed up for a September friendly, I remember remarking to someone that it was the first time I had ever seen a team go through 90 minutes without making a single tackle. We did play well considering, but even at the time, I thought it had all the hallmarks of a kind of faulty result that would have little bearing on reality. 

The Germany game, they scored via a deflected shot, but all our attacking efforts culminated in Jens Lehman catching a single cross (or it might have been a corner) in 90 minutes. It wasn't too bad of a performance considering, but wasn't anything great either. Cyprus ended the Irish careers of Kenny, Andy O'Brien & Morrisson, in my opinion, somewhat unfairly. Not saying any of the 3 would have had anything substantial to offer in later years, but O'Brien & Morrisson were probably worthy of squad places at the very least in later games, as ever, we weren't laden down with that much talent. 

Always thought the San Marino game was nearly the worse of the 2 in a way, the Cypriots were decent at home around that era, beat Wales there as well if memory serves me right, though Wales weren't up to much then either. I kind of see where the lads who half hoped SM would win were coming from, but I wouldn't have been one of them. At that time, we still had a lot to play for, and the optimist in me thought we might turn it around, though even at the time it looked unlikely due to the generally dire performances. 

By the time Cyprus home game came around, there were many many others with the same opinion as the lads, and I include meself in that, I was nearly half sorry Finnan got (an excellent finish) the equaliser, though the few thousand staying on 15/20 minutes after the game calling for JD's head was what did for Stan, if it was going to be one or the other , JD was making sure it wasn't going to be him. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: Peter Stöger
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:51pm

Originally posted by 1874eire 1874eire wrote:

I don't know if you can say that for sure. The Czechs and Germans were two decent sides then, the Czechs actually topped the group.
No doubt we should have put up a challenge for second. We had a squad far superior to the one that went to Poland/Ukraine.

Spot on, Slovakia and Wales weren't easy games either by any means, even if they were weaker on paper. In fact, we were seeded fourth and finished third which is sort of ironic for that campaign. Conceeding in Slovakia so late on knocked the stuffing out of us, a win there and draw in Prague might have been enough. My endearing memory of the Stan era aside from Cyprus away would be Holland destroying us at home. 

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 3:00am
I recall Stan's "we won" attitude. There are easy games at international level, and ten years ago, they were easier. To have drawn that game would have eclipsed Eschen 1995 by some distance, and given San Marino's record, it would have ranked as one of the worst results of any European team in living memory.

The dismissive attempt at appealing to the win really rankled with me. Even the most indifferent football fan would have understood the entire context, and deemed it totally unacceptable.

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 8:57am
Originally posted by Nib Nib wrote:

What was the game where Stan snuck up behind Tony O'Donoghue who was doing an interview and made a stupid face into the camera?

That was Germany away he came up behind Ray Houghton I thought

Posted By: cliffrichard
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 9:41am
Watched this in the local, remember Brian Kerr co-commentating on TV3, when the winner went in, "Thank God for that!" LOL

Posted By: RayHoughton
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 10:47am
Dark,Dark times of Irish Football. Poor ol Booby Robson. Talk about being thrown under a bus.

-------------
George 'The Baggio brothers, of course, are not related' Hamilton

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Nib Nib wrote:

Which is ironic when you consider that Stan came across as a Stan Laurel type gombeen when he spoke - "you tell me", "I am de gaffwer".

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 11:33am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

I disagree with that to be honest. I dunno is that because I was at the games in Cyprus & San Marino, but any time I see or hear mention of Stan, the first thing I think of is that disastrous campaign rather than the stellar Irish career as a player. 

There is a number of things about the era & games under Stan that are kind of taken as fact these days, but don't really tally with my own memory of things. The Swedes in that friendly were as disinterested a bunch of lads who ever showed up for a September friendly, I remember remarking to someone that it was the first time I had ever seen a team go through 90 minutes without making a single tackle. We did play well considering, but even at the time, I thought it had all the hallmarks of a kind of faulty result that would have little bearing on reality. 

The Germany game, they scored via a deflected shot, but all our attacking efforts culminated in Jens Lehman catching a single cross (or it might have been a corner) in 90 minutes. It wasn't too bad of a performance considering, but wasn't anything great either. Cyprus ended the Irish careers of Kenny, Andy O'Brien & Morrisson, in my opinion, somewhat unfairly. Not saying any of the 3 would have had anything substantial to offer in later years, but O'Brien & Morrisson were probably worthy of squad places at the very least in later games, as ever, we weren't laden down with that much talent. 

Always thought the San Marino game was nearly the worse of the 2 in a way, the Cypriots were decent at home around that era, beat Wales there as well if memory serves me right, though Wales weren't up to much then either. I kind of see where the lads who half hoped SM would win were coming from, but I wouldn't have been one of them. At that time, we still had a lot to play for, and the optimist in me thought we might turn it around, though even at the time it looked unlikely due to the generally dire performances. 

By the time Cyprus home game came around, there were many many others with the same opinion as the lads, and I include meself in that, I was nearly half sorry Finnan got (an excellent finish) the equaliser, though the few thousand staying on 15/20 minutes after the game calling for JD's head was what did for Stan, if it was going to be one or the other , JD was making sure it wasn't going to be him. 

Were you going on trips when he played, Deise? Genuine question.

I did Cyprus the year before when we pretty much played just as poorly under Kerr but got out with a 1-0 thanks to a Shay peno save and a Stephen Elliot goal so didn't go back the following year. Didn't do San Marino that campaign, did Germany and the Slovakia / Czech double header so despite only picking up a point the performances weren't that bad. The campaign was a bizarre one, I thought from the off that Staunton was a disastrous appointment, he never struck me as management material but my first memories of him when he's mentioned these days are of his playing career, the goal direct from the corner v the north, the hat to keep the sun off the big pasty head on him in US 94, the draw v Germany on his 100th cap, that sort of thing. I've just tried to forget he ever managed us! Shameful that 7 of the board who made that decision are still in situ tbh.

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Were you going on trips when he played, Deise? Genuine question.

I did Cyprus the year before when we pretty much played just as poorly under Kerr but got out with a 1-0 thanks to a Shay peno save and a Stephen Elliot goal so didn't go back the following year. Didn't do San Marino that campaign, did Germany and the Slovakia / Czech double header so despite only picking up a point the performances weren't that bad. The campaign was a bizarre one, I thought from the off that Staunton was a disastrous appointment, he never struck me as management material but my first memories of him when he's mentioned these days are of his playing career, the goal direct from the corner v the north, the hat to keep the sun off the big pasty head on him in US 94, the draw v Germany on his 100th cap, that sort of thing. I've just tried to forget he ever managed us! Shameful that 7 of the board who made that decision are still in situ tbh.

Always my first thought of Stan tbh.

My view of his management was that he wasn't up for it and was thrown to the Wolves. That should have been a point when the whole FAI was uprouted and replaced.

As many have pointed out, you couldn't blame Stan for taking the job, if JD rang up any of us tomorrow and said here how would you like to manager Ireland we'd gladly accept experience or not.

I think also you have to factor in the Bobby Robson part too into why it didn't work out. Bobby was brought in to help Stan out but unfortunately he was ill and couldn't help out as much as perhaps he could have liked.

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 1:11pm
That Slovak/Czech double header is legendary, nearly killed me.

1 night Vienna
2 nights Bratislava
4 nights Prague
1 night London

Rented a lovely apartment on Wenceslas Square right beside Scorpios.

Also stayed in the Crowne Plaza in Bratislava, armed security on every floor.

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 5:22pm
I'd never noticed the coincidence before:

Steve Staunton: 100th cap, a 1-1 draw against Germany, with an injury time equaliser.
John O'Shea: 100th cap, a 1-1 draw against Germany, with an injury time equaliser.

Obviously Stan didn't score his, but an interesting coincidence all the same.

-------------

Posted By: Joe Stalin
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by RayHoughton RayHoughton wrote:

Dark,Dark times of Irish Football. Poor ol Booby Robson. Talk about being thrown under a bus.

Was he really though? I've often wondered about this poor ol' Bobby stuff. He was being well paid to do a a job as far as I know.

Agree fully that it should have been Delaney or Stan on the interview but whatever treatment he got on Liveline was timid to what he got over the years from the English media. I doubt he even gave it a second thought.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 9:13am
Originally posted by Joe Stalin Joe Stalin wrote:

Was he really though? I've often wondered about this poor ol' Bobby stuff. He was being well paid to do a a job as far as I know.

Agree fully that it should have been Delaney or Stan on the interview but whatever treatment he got on Liveline was timid to what he got over the years from the English media. I doubt he even gave it a second thought.
the indignity, the cowardice of it. hiding behind this frail old  great football man was pathetic. 

-------------

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 9:23am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I'd never noticed the coincidence before:

Steve Staunton: 100th cap, a 1-1 draw against Germany, with an injury time equaliser.
John O'Shea: 100th cap, a 1-1 draw against Germany, with an injury time equaliser.

Obviously Stan didn't score his, but an interesting coincidence all the same.

So your saying that JOS could potentially become our next manager?

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 9:41am

the indignity, the cowardice of it. hiding behind this frail old  great football man was pathetic. 

Yep. Was a measure of how spineless Delaney is. Let's not forget appointing Stan was his decision.

-------------

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 9:48am
The players should have been blamed and taken as much of the flack as Stan did for that result in San Marino, he was clearly out of his depth managing at that level "but" when you have a team full of Premiership/Championship players needing an injury team winner against police officers, dentists and the odd part time pro (Selva the exception) then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Fast forward 10 years, we now see how football has evolved and that the smaller teams are getting better tactically but the players were cowards that night imo. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

The players should have been blamed and taken as much of the flack as Stan did for that result in San Marino, he was clearly out of his depth managing at that level "but" when you have a team full of Premiership/Championship players needing an injury team winner against police officers, dentists and the odd part time pro (Selva the exception) then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Fast forward 10 years, we now see how football has evolved and that the smaller teams are getting better tactically but the players were cowards that night imo. 
I agree with that. There was enough quality and experience on that pitch for a couple of leaders to step up and do a professional job. I can still feel the relief when Ireland scored, Kerr's reaction summed it up.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 3:32pm

Trying not to sound heartless here but, that frail old great football man was picking up €250k a year. It wasn't like they put Charlie O'Leary out to defend the team!

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Trying not to sound heartless here but, that frail old great football man was picking up €250k a year. It wasn't like they put Charlie O'Leary out to defend the team!
I was watching 'The Charlton Years' with Colm Meaney again the other day, himelf and Mick Byrne come across as full of their own importance, especially in comparison to the likes of Jack and Quinn who had reason to be.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 3:57pm

what he was on was irrelevant, he was nothing more than an ambassador. he cannot be held responsible for the debacle. a man with such a distinguished career being lambasted by halfwits on what is ireland version of the public stocks. Delaney knew what he was in for, i very much robson knew. It was absolutely disgusting to be honest and it shows what sort of character delaney is. The fact he is still helm a decade later says alot about this country. 

-------------

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 4:05pm

what he was on was irrelevant, he was nothing more than an ambassador. he cannot be held responsible for the debacle. a man with such a distinguished career being lambasted by halfwits on what is ireland version of the public stocks. Delaney knew what he was in for, i very much robson knew. It was absolutely disgusting to be honest and it shows what sort of character delaney is. The fact he is still helm a decade later says alot about this country.
Ah hear, it's not like they exploited a vulnerable old man. If he's not up for answering the questions he shouldn't have taken the job.

Posted By: E2016
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 5:31pm
Fresh off an operation to get a brain tumour removed, he was shouted at on national radio over whether or not he had Steve Staunton on speed dial by Joe Duffy.

It was an absolute disgrace.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 10:38pm
Going on Joe Duffy alone is ridiculous. Should never have been the case but apart from that, I can't see what he did for Ireland.

Sad to see him pass away but he may have felt he had to do it as he hadn't been able to do much else through illness.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net