Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

San (Stan) Marino 10 years on

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

The FAI had invited a delegation of League of Ireland managers on the trip as they had just taken over the running of the league.

A couple of the bosses were slightly taken aback by the uninspiring nature of the Irish warm-up; they didn't expect to see elite players preparing for a European Championship qualifier by participating in a drill that involved a bit of piggybacking.

WTF LOL

edit: Who was carrying Dunne?

i suppose you could say it was a strength  drill
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

It was a f**king sh*t show muff. JD didn't give two f**ks then and doesn't give two f**ks now. The ends would have justified the means and I'll make no apology for it.(FWIW I didn't wish for anything other than a win before the start of the game) We were promised a "World Class manager" by the dear leader after Kerr was sacked and he gave the job to Staunton who had f**k all managerial or coaching experience (Don't blame Staunton for taking it btw who wouldn't want the chance to manage their country. It was evident after the game in Cyprus that Staunton was way out of his depth IMO. The draw against the Czechs and the 5-0 win over San Marino merely paperd over the cracks IMO.

That's the same thing as people wanting Ireland to lose if it means getting rid of Trap/Delaney or whoever. Delaney's conduct has no bearing on me and it shouldn't on you wanting Ireland to win before, during or after a match.

As bad as it was and low as it was, the players on the pitch saved us from even worse embarrassment if we left San Marino with dropped points.

There would've been misguided fools (mostly Irish United fans) in 2002 who would have wanted Ireland to do badly at the world cup if it mean't reinstating Keane and getting rid of McCarthy of the next campaign.

I cannot stand this mentality of slitting your own throat in the short term in the hope it improves thing in the long term, hoping your team loses or draws if it means getting rid of the manager.

Anyone that thinks like that can't really be a genuine fan or supporter of the national side as your basing your loyalty on certain conditions. A bit like the event junkies who follow the team when the sun is shining last year in at the Euros.

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:24am
I'm not a genuine fan ? Mind you don't fall off that f**king high horse
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
cathalb96 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cathalb96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:30am
Losing 5-2 away to Cyprus after leading, drawing 1-1 at home to Cyprus with a late equaliser and beating San Marino 2-1 away with an injury time winner, f*ck me what a grim campaign that was
Cathal Bourke
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:45am
I remember when the second goal went in i laughed in disbelief more than anything but was still furious, what an embarrassment of a night that was. After the shock and horror of the Cyprus hammering and then the irrelevant formality of the San Marino home game, that came along. 

For me the Slovakia last minute equaliser sticks out in the memory as much as this game and Cyprus. That was one of the most sickening moments of the last ten years. Cyprus was bad but it was a sh*t performance from top to bottom, as was San Marino. Slovakia away was an absolute hammer blow in the 90th minute, proper sickening and i think that killed all of our hopes. With the home wins against Wales and Slovakia there was actually a slight glimmer of hope, think we hammered someone like denmark in a friendly around then as well and believed against all proper wisdom that there was a chance that just maybe we had turned a corner. 

Even Alaba's last minute equaliser 4 years ago wasnt as bad as that as we still had it in our hands when Sweden came. Slovakia away in 2007 and Israel at home a couple years before that, two of the biggest sickeners in recent memory

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 08 Feb 2017 at 11:47am
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:48am
Nearly lost at home to Cyprus as well only for a last minute Matt Holland goal
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:50am

Nearly lost at home to Cyprus as well only for a last minute Matt Holland goal

That was a glorified friendly, we had nothing to play for. The atmosphere in the ground was fairly poisonous against Stan that night, but not as bad as it might have been because everyone knew he was on his way out.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:53am
It was Steve Finnan. Probably the least celebrated goal ever.
Had a spare ticket that I couldn't get shot of. Ended up giving it to a friend of mine for free and he left after Cyprus scored.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 12:03pm
My first away trip. Based in Rimini which was nice, decent enough weather during the day but freezing at night. I was so cold at the game I bought a San Marino hat, scarf and jersey
Myself, The saint, Sledgehammer and a few others were on the foot.ie* (I think) bus, which left San Marino old town without us on way to the ground, luckily we thumbed a lift off some lovely people.
Also remember bring a full tray to the game and being stopped by heavily armed police, only to be told to open them and bring in as many as we wanted

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

My first away trip. Based in Rimini which was nice, decent enough weather during the day but freezing at night. I was so cold at the game I bought a San Marino hat, scarf and jersey
Myself, The saint, Sledgehammer and a few others were on the foot.ie* (I think) bus, which left San Marino old town without us on way to the ground, luckily we thumbed a lift off some lovely people.
Also remember bring a full tray to the game and being stopped by heavily armed police, only to be told to open them and bring in as many as we wanted

The cops there were sound - Remember the ball going over the fence into the ground during the pre-game kick around. One of the cops more than happy to rescue it for us so the game could continue !
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 12:17pm

I'm not a genuine fan ? Mind you don't fall off that f**king high horse

No high horse involved mate when expecting fellow Irish fans to want our team to win irrespective of other factors.

I also wasn't the one hoping we'd draw against the mountainmen either.

Okay, so you're a genuine fan as long as certain conditions are met and if Ireland are ever going through similar circumstances again, by your logic you'll be hoping the minnow they're playing get a result against us.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 12:22pm
Where did I say I was hoping for a draw ? I explicitly stated in a previous post that before the game I wasn't hoping for anything other than a win. I also stated 'slightly raging' bit of a difference. But you continue on your superfan high horse.

Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 12:43pm
Such a mental reign under Stan. Great start with a convincing friendly win against the Swede's 3-0. Narrow away defeat to the German's in the opening qualifier which has no shame in it. Disastrous result against Cyprus but followed up with a spirited performance and a credible draw against Czech.

We then won our next 4 qualifiers to put us back in contention, albeit 2 against San Marino but I think the wheels really came off with that late Slovakian equaliser in Bratislava. If we'd have won that, we may have gone to Prague a few days later full of confidence. Our campaign was over the minute that Slovakian goal went in!

Had we held on for that win, and snuck a draw in Prague..........If me auntie had bo11ocks......
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 12:44pm

Where did I say I was hoping for a draw ? I explicitly stated in a previous post that before the game I wasn't hoping for anything other than a win. I also stated 'slightly raging' bit of a difference. But you continue on your superfan high horse.

Never mind throwing the highhorse charge at me but your post agreed with Bitored when you stated 'Same here' after he posted that he was willing for a draw. That looked like you were also hoping for a draw or were at least were conflicted as it got Stan/JD off the hook.

If that's not what you were saying fair enough and you were also glad we got out of jail but like on the rugby thread, I can understand people being indifferent to our rugby side but actively hoping they lose because they don't like the fans or snobbiness of the rugby crowd is just ridiculous.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 12:47pm
Never mind about the result as "we always play better in March " ..............

Never forget that one liner from Stan .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 1:17pm
Ireland was in great form for us back then.His winners v san Marino and v wales at home.

WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 1:17pm
Not surprised that f**ker gave away his jersey.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 1:21pm
The bottom team in that seasons LOI 1st division would have hammered that San Marino team.
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic