Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

San (Stan) Marino 10 years on

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 8:45pm
Watched the game at home. We looked to see the game out at 1-0, despite been under no pressure whatsoever, so nothing like a San Marino goal then to wake the players, up. Those last 8 minutes were more entertaining than the previous 86. In the end, it was just another team winning a game in San Marino.

Staunton said he would be happy with a narrow win and that's what he got. His only saving grace being that it was the last ever live Ireland game on TV3, so no Dunphy around to kick him backwards and sideways. Matt Holland was never going to kick his mate. Instead Dunphy had to wait until the Gerry Ryan Show the next day to rehash his usual rants at the time.
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
Sponsored Links

OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 8:57pm
saw the highlights of that game doing the rounds today. I had wrongly remembered it as a ball breaking for the san marino lad through on goal that he finished well. Christ the defending for it was beyond laughable.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 08 Feb 2017 at 8:58pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Stretchryan Stretchryan wrote:

Fine head of hair on him too.

He got the transplant by the time of the away game in Slovakia and apparently was sensitive to the sl*gging. Don't know how much truth was in that story.

He took his goal brilliantly in that away game after a smart dummy by Keane. Fantastic first touch very classy cool finish.

And to think he's still only 30 years old. Would've been a great asset to have if he had a good attitude.

Maybe he'd be sitting with 70 cap's and our midfield general now, if he hadn't inherited male pattern baldness.

It's his grandad on his mam's side I blame, not his assorted grannies Smile
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:08pm

And if we're in similar circumstances (still an inept CEO but good manager) you'd actively hope our players don't get the win.Unhappy It's not the players fault there was a bad management set up at all levels and under Trap, I'm sure there were Irish fans hoping the team would fail in the short term to benefit us in the long term but it's poor form imo to not want our team to win every game no matter what you think of the management set up or structure around them at the time. 

I'd rather someone boycott the home and away games if you felt that way than want us to be embarrassed in San Marino because that would've been even worse than us getting out of jail with maximum points. 

Funnily enough Wales only beat them 2-1 over there too LOL

Don't really mean to be having a go at yourself or Irwin either.Thumbs Up I just don't agree with the short term sacrifice for long term gain approach when all our Irish sides run themselves into the ground no matter who's in charge  
Fair enough Thumbs Up
It was an exceptional set of circumstances and it is the only Ireland game I have ever watched where I thought a poor result would be better in the long run for Ireland.
Even during the Cyprus game when it went 4-2 I was full sure we`d pull it back to 4-4 and get out with the point LOL It just seemed like that kind of a mad game.

Wales were a minnow at that time and they were also 2-0 before they conceded. A very different situation to our near draw.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Originally posted by Stretchryan Stretchryan wrote:

Fine head of hair on him too.

He got the transplant by the time of the away game in Slovakia and apparently was sensitive to the sl*gging. Don't know how much truth was in that story.

He took his goal brilliantly in that away game after a smart dummy by Keane. Fantastic first touch very classy cool finish.

And to think he's still only 30 years old. Would've been a great asset to have if he had a good attitude.

Maybe he'd be sitting with 70 cap's and our midfield general now, if he hadn't inherited male pattern baldness.

It's his grandad on his mam's side I blame, not his assorted grannies Smile

Funninest post in a long time
I know nothing :-)
1874eire View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1874eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:09pm
Worst thing was the fact that we were in a really poor group and if we had our sh!t together we probably would have qualified automatically as the top two went through at that time. We didn't have a bad group of players.
Nib View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:12pm
What was the game where Stan snuck up behind Tony O'Donoghue who was doing an interview and made a stupid face into the camera?

Dunphy flipped out big time.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by 1874eire 1874eire wrote:

Worst thing was the fact that we were in a really poor group and if we had our sh!t together we probably would have qualified automatically as the top two went through at that time. We didn't have a bad group of players.
I don't know if you can say that for sure. The Czechs and Germans were two decent sides then, the Czechs actually topped the group.
No doubt we should have put up a challenge for second. We had a squad far superior to the one that went to Poland/Ukraine.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:39pm
I'm fairly sure TV3 showed this match as did the 5-2 vs Cyprus and the Macedonia game last minute equaliser blame them ****s.
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

I think now with the passage of time Stan will once again be remembered fondly for the player he was, now that the wounds from his disastrous campaign have subsided. Personally i'd be happy if at any mention of Stan in an Irish football context his managerial stint was never again acknowledged. A decent man and a figure the Irish football public were fond of thrown in completely out of his depth, but i don't begrudge him for taking the job on.

I disagree with that to be honest. I dunno is that because I was at the games in Cyprus & San Marino, but any time I see or hear mention of Stan, the first thing I think of is that disastrous campaign rather than the stellar Irish career as a player. 

There is a number of things about the era & games under Stan that are kind of taken as fact these days, but don't really tally with my own memory of things. The Swedes in that friendly were as disinterested a bunch of lads who ever showed up for a September friendly, I remember remarking to someone that it was the first time I had ever seen a team go through 90 minutes without making a single tackle. We did play well considering, but even at the time, I thought it had all the hallmarks of a kind of faulty result that would have little bearing on reality. 

The Germany game, they scored via a deflected shot, but all our attacking efforts culminated in Jens Lehman catching a single cross (or it might have been a corner) in 90 minutes. It wasn't too bad of a performance considering, but wasn't anything great either. Cyprus ended the Irish careers of Kenny, Andy O'Brien & Morrisson, in my opinion, somewhat unfairly. Not saying any of the 3 would have had anything substantial to offer in later years, but O'Brien & Morrisson were probably worthy of squad places at the very least in later games, as ever, we weren't laden down with that much talent. 

Always thought the San Marino game was nearly the worse of the 2 in a way, the Cypriots were decent at home around that era, beat Wales there as well if memory serves me right, though Wales weren't up to much then either. I kind of see where the lads who half hoped SM would win were coming from, but I wouldn't have been one of them. At that time, we still had a lot to play for, and the optimist in me thought we might turn it around, though even at the time it looked unlikely due to the generally dire performances. 

By the time Cyprus home game came around, there were many many others with the same opinion as the lads, and I include meself in that, I was nearly half sorry Finnan got (an excellent finish) the equaliser, though the few thousand staying on 15/20 minutes after the game calling for JD's head was what did for Stan, if it was going to be one or the other , JD was making sure it wasn't going to be him. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

Originally posted by 1874eire 1874eire wrote:

I don't know if you can say that for sure. The Czechs and Germans were two decent sides then, the Czechs actually topped the group.
No doubt we should have put up a challenge for second. We had a squad far superior to the one that went to Poland/Ukraine.

Spot on, Slovakia and Wales weren't easy games either by any means, even if they were weaker on paper. In fact, we were seeded fourth and finished third which is sort of ironic for that campaign. Conceeding in Slovakia so late on knocked the stuffing out of us, a win there and draw in Prague might have been enough. My endearing memory of the Stan era aside from Cyprus away would be Holland destroying us at home. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 3:00am
I recall Stan's "we won" attitude. There are easy games at international level, and ten years ago, they were easier. To have drawn that game would have eclipsed Eschen 1995 by some distance, and given San Marino's record, it would have ranked as one of the worst results of any European team in living memory.

The dismissive attempt at appealing to the win really rankled with me. Even the most indifferent football fan would have understood the entire context, and deemed it totally unacceptable.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 8:57am
Originally posted by Nib Nib wrote:

What was the game where Stan snuck up behind Tony O'Donoghue who was doing an interview and made a stupid face into the camera?

That was Germany away he came up behind Ray Houghton I thought
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 9:41am
Watched this in the local, remember Brian Kerr co-commentating on TV3, when the winner went in, "Thank God for that!" LOL
RayHoughton View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayHoughton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 10:47am
Dark,Dark times of Irish Football. Poor ol Booby Robson. Talk about being thrown under a bus.
George 'The Baggio brothers, of course, are not related' Hamilton

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Nib Nib wrote:

Which is ironic when you consider that Stan came across as a Stan Laurel type gombeen when he spoke - "you tell me", "I am de gaffwer".

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 11:33am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

I think now with the passage of time Stan will once again be remembered fondly for the player he was, now that the wounds from his disastrous campaign have subsided. Personally i'd be happy if at any mention of Stan in an Irish football context his managerial stint was never again acknowledged. A decent man and a figure the Irish football public were fond of thrown in completely out of his depth, but i don't begrudge him for taking the job on.

I disagree with that to be honest. I dunno is that because I was at the games in Cyprus & San Marino, but any time I see or hear mention of Stan, the first thing I think of is that disastrous campaign rather than the stellar Irish career as a player. 

There is a number of things about the era & games under Stan that are kind of taken as fact these days, but don't really tally with my own memory of things. The Swedes in that friendly were as disinterested a bunch of lads who ever showed up for a September friendly, I remember remarking to someone that it was the first time I had ever seen a team go through 90 minutes without making a single tackle. We did play well considering, but even at the time, I thought it had all the hallmarks of a kind of faulty result that would have little bearing on reality. 

The Germany game, they scored via a deflected shot, but all our attacking efforts culminated in Jens Lehman catching a single cross (or it might have been a corner) in 90 minutes. It wasn't too bad of a performance considering, but wasn't anything great either. Cyprus ended the Irish careers of Kenny, Andy O'Brien & Morrisson, in my opinion, somewhat unfairly. Not saying any of the 3 would have had anything substantial to offer in later years, but O'Brien & Morrisson were probably worthy of squad places at the very least in later games, as ever, we weren't laden down with that much talent. 

Always thought the San Marino game was nearly the worse of the 2 in a way, the Cypriots were decent at home around that era, beat Wales there as well if memory serves me right, though Wales weren't up to much then either. I kind of see where the lads who half hoped SM would win were coming from, but I wouldn't have been one of them. At that time, we still had a lot to play for, and the optimist in me thought we might turn it around, though even at the time it looked unlikely due to the generally dire performances. 

By the time Cyprus home game came around, there were many many others with the same opinion as the lads, and I include meself in that, I was nearly half sorry Finnan got (an excellent finish) the equaliser, though the few thousand staying on 15/20 minutes after the game calling for JD's head was what did for Stan, if it was going to be one or the other , JD was making sure it wasn't going to be him. 

Were you going on trips when he played, Deise? Genuine question.

I did Cyprus the year before when we pretty much played just as poorly under Kerr but got out with a 1-0 thanks to a Shay peno save and a Stephen Elliot goal so didn't go back the following year. Didn't do San Marino that campaign, did Germany and the Slovakia / Czech double header so despite only picking up a point the performances weren't that bad. The campaign was a bizarre one, I thought from the off that Staunton was a disastrous appointment, he never struck me as management material but my first memories of him when he's mentioned these days are of his playing career, the goal direct from the corner v the north, the hat to keep the sun off the big pasty head on him in US 94, the draw v Germany on his 100th cap, that sort of thing. I've just tried to forget he ever managed us! Shameful that 7 of the board who made that decision are still in situ tbh.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Were you going on trips when he played, Deise? Genuine question.

I did Cyprus the year before when we pretty much played just as poorly under Kerr but got out with a 1-0 thanks to a Shay peno save and a Stephen Elliot goal so didn't go back the following year. Didn't do San Marino that campaign, did Germany and the Slovakia / Czech double header so despite only picking up a point the performances weren't that bad. The campaign was a bizarre one, I thought from the off that Staunton was a disastrous appointment, he never struck me as management material but my first memories of him when he's mentioned these days are of his playing career, the goal direct from the corner v the north, the hat to keep the sun off the big pasty head on him in US 94, the draw v Germany on his 100th cap, that sort of thing. I've just tried to forget he ever managed us! Shameful that 7 of the board who made that decision are still in situ tbh.

Always my first thought of Stan tbh.

My view of his management was that he wasn't up for it and was thrown to the Wolves. That should have been a point when the whole FAI was uprouted and replaced.

As many have pointed out, you couldn't blame Stan for taking the job, if JD rang up any of us tomorrow and said here how would you like to manager Ireland we'd gladly accept experience or not.

I think also you have to factor in the Bobby Robson part too into why it didn't work out. Bobby was brought in to help Stan out but unfortunately he was ill and couldn't help out as much as perhaps he could have liked.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic