You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 126>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 7:13am
I'm all for making the NL games important so like the sound of this, even if I haven't for a moment considered the ramifications šŸ˜
Sponsored Links

Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 7:19am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

I'm all for making the NL games important so like the sound of this, even if I haven't for a moment considered the ramifications šŸ˜

Itā€™ll be very difficult for us to qualify if thatā€™s the case
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 8:23am
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

unlike some sports all world cups are hard to qualify for - in UEFA you can pick 10 teams now and at least 8 will qualify leaving the rest to scrap it out. My hope is use the next NL / WC is to see a strategy (bring new players through, change our style a bit) to give us qualification for 2024 and a good shot at the World Cup in 2026. A playoff spot for 2022 would be a good building block along the way.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 8:40am

Amazing to think that we can qualify despite winning 3 matches out of 12 between the NL and 2020 qualifiers - 2 victories against Gibraltar and one against Georgia.

" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 8:42am

Qualifying for a major tournament is supposed to be hard, getting there should be an achievement. UEFA have destroyed their flagship international tournament, possibly deliberately, with this farcical qualifying structure and having 24 teams in the tournament.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 8:54am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Qualifying for a major tournament is supposed to be hard, getting there should be an achievement. UEFA have destroyed their flagship international tournament, possibly deliberately, with this farcical qualifying structure and having 24 teams in the tournament.

The better you perform in the NL can be rewarded with a home draw in a potential play-off semi. A small carrot, but relevant to our current situation.

Thinking back to The Old Offenders time and how little they respected the NL. Fail to prepare, Roy...Fail to prepare.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The better you perform in the NL can be rewarded with a home draw in a potential play-off semi. A small carrot, but relevant to our current situation.
We were only 1 Nations League point (plus a bit of goal difference away from having Slovakia at home
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 9:26am

Amazing to think that we can qualify despite winning 3 matches out of 12 between the NL and 2020 qualifiers - 2 victories against Gibraltar and one against Georgia.

When you see that, plus 7 goals in 8 games, just confirms how awful we were. Kenny could have transformed the squad and probably bettered those results.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 9:35am

Amazing to think that we can qualify despite winning 3 matches out of 12 between the NL and 2020 qualifiersĀ - 2 victories against Gibraltar and one against Georgia.

On the other hand we only lost 3 of 12.

Scotland lost 6 of 14
Iceland lost 7 of 14
Slovakia lost 7 of 12
Hungary lost 6 of 12
Norn Ire lost 7 of 14
Bulgaria lost 5 of 14
Israel lost 7 of 14

I think only Serbia and Norway (2) have less losses than us.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 9:40am
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

When you see that, plus 7 goals in 8 games, just confirms how awful we were. Kenny could have transformed the squad and probably bettered those results.

How would he have transformed the squad? Can you provide examples of players who would have been better served being parachuted straight into this qualifying campaign rather than playing together and developing a winning style and mentality with the 21s? 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, itā€™s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

How would he have transformed the squad? Can you provide examples of players who would have been better served being parachuted straight into this qualifying campaign rather than playing together and developing a winning style and mentality with the 21s? 

100% agree.

Was asked by I think it was Balls.ie reporter before the New Zealand game whether Troy Parrott should start against Denmark.

He seemed surprised by firm "No"

And still seemed to be confused with my reply to his follow up question of Why

"He's only 17 and hasn't even played senior football for his club bar 60 something minutes in the League Cup
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 10:14am

Donā€™t you realise that Kenny has a magic wand that makes our midfield super and turns piss into lemonade?
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 10:18am

We donā€™t know specifically what players! Because we never give anybody a chance to prove themselves. Why not see how some of the most talented get on. Iā€™m not advocating playing a team of kids. But three or 4 talented players Would have freshened that team up. We would not have done any worse.  Here we are now going into playoffs with same problems weā€™ve had for the last 5 or 6 years. Tell me the benefit of playing the same failures over and over again . The dinosaur fans on here will be looking McCarthy kept on if we do qualify regardless of what the u21ā€™s are doing .  Do you want to watch that rubbish all your days? 
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 10:55am

We donā€™t know specifically what players! Because we never give anybody a chance to prove themselves. Why not see how some of the most talented get on. Iā€™m not advocating playing a team of kids. But three or 4 talented players Would have freshened that team up. We would not have done any worse.  Here we are now going into playoffs with same problems weā€™ve had for the last 5 or 6 years. Tell me the benefit of playing the same failures over and over again . The dinosaur fans on here will be looking McCarthy kept on if we do qualify regardless of what the u21ā€™s are doing .  Do you want to watch that rubbish all your days? 

Fair dues on completly avoiding the question. 

Which 3 or 4 players do you think would have been suited into throwing in to a qualifying campaign with no friendlies beforehand from what had been a massively dysfunctional 21s set up before Kenny took over? What games would you have targeted them getting 'a chance to prove themselves'. 

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 21 Nov 2019 at 10:56am
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 11:43am

Fair dues on completly avoiding the question. 

Which 3 or 4 players do you think would have been suited into throwing in to a qualifying campaign with no friendlies beforehand from what had been a massively dysfunctional 21s set up before Kenny took over? What games would you have targeted them getting 'a chance to prove themselves'. 
First two games. I donā€™t know what players would have been a success for sure, but Cullen, Parrott and Connolly were starting to make names for themselves . What I do know for sure is that whelan, hendrick and McLean etc would deliver what they have! Nothing. 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, itā€™s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 11:03am
As Expected the first 30 minutes of the draw will be a montage of the teams involved
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 11:05am
What channel is it on?
gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

What channel is it on?

https://www.uefa.tv/video/live/135945/ stream here
Danger here, OH NO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 126>
  Share Topic