You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 126>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 3:19pm
potentially Israel, Bulgaria or Romania with a likely final against Iceland.

But likely a home semi final.

Edited by VanBosch - 19 Nov 2019 at 3:20pm
Sponsored Links

Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

potentially Israel, Bulgaria or Romania with a likely final against Iceland.

But likely a home semi final.

Had assumed we would have been kept separate from Romania as a fellow host
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 3:36pm
Not like UEFA to over complicate things.
manchesterbhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manchesterbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 3:44pm
have we not a game left on the season ticket? 

booked hotels based on the consensus but can cancel 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by manchesterbhoy manchesterbhoy wrote:

have we not a game left on the season ticket? 

booked hotels based on the consensus but can cancel 

Yep. Presume if we don't get a home draw we'll have a friendly at the end of May regardless of the outcome

Edited by Denis Irwin - 19 Nov 2019 at 3:57pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 4:06pm
Super confused - who do we want to root for now that we could potentially go up to A? Fancy our chances there but really don't want to play the Welsh. 

Edited by cildaratown - 19 Nov 2019 at 4:07pm
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 4:28pm
I'd prefer Iceland and 2 League C teams.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I'd prefer Iceland and 2 League C teams.

Was thinking about this all day in work LOLEmbarrassed Would probably prefer this myself. 

It would be nice to avoid having to play N.I. or Wales in the B Path. 

I think ourselves, N.I. and Wales would all prefer to avoid each other. 

Edited by irishmufc - 19 Nov 2019 at 4:34pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 4:37pm
But we aren't guaranteed to move up to League A if Hungry win, right?
manchesterbhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manchesterbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 4:42pm
slovakia away and a home tie v the nordies would be just grand 

wouldnt fancy some of the others 

would expect taffy to over come the magyars

Darraghn92 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darraghn92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

There will be a draw as far as I know, as Hungary winning would mean we have 5 teams in League B (Us Bosnia the North Slovakia and Wales). So there's a possibility of us being drawn to A although I'm not sure how that would work as they would try to avoid hosts being paired
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Darraghn92 Darraghn92 wrote:

There will be a draw as far as I know, as Hungary winning would mean we have 5 teams in League B (Us Bosnia the North Slovakia and Wales). So there's a possibility of us being drawn to A although I'm not sure how that would work as they would try to avoid hosts being paired
The more I try and understand the permutations the more laughable it gets. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Darraghn92 Darraghn92 wrote:

Sounds like Bosnia have to stay in B which means it would be us, Wales, Slovakia, or the North that get drawn to A potentially. Hopefully it would be Wales or us. But not sure I want to root for that as there's still a real chance of Wales away there.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 4:57pm
One thing I will say for the 3rd position playoff spots for EURO 2016, at least it was a lot simpler than this set up. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
flaghunter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flaghunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 5:04pm
“If 4 or more teams from one league are in the playoff, there will be a path comprised solely from teams in this league.”

Maybe not the exact wording but that’s a rule. 
Don’t see how they can keep this rule, move us up to A and separate us, Romania and Scotland (hosts).

If they scrapped worrying about the hosts and Hungary qualify, they could choose one of us, Wales, Slovaks and NI to jump up to A. 25% chance. 

I was hoping they would have a 50-50 draw between the hosts whose path can be changed (us and Romania) to go up to A, but this would then be hypocritical as it would leave Romania in C with another host if they were not drawn, as they can’t move to B with the rule I stated. 

Correct me if I’m wrong please. 
Think a Welsh win and Slovakia away semi is what I can realistically hope for though. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 5:37pm
So still a chance we'd be @Wales if they fail to win? League A is more rumors?
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 5:49pm
If there are four teams from League B in the playoffs (i.e. if Hungary do not qualify tonight) then there is little doubt UEFA will leave it as it is with us in the League B playoffs, away to either Wales or Slovakia (whoever doesn't make it), playing the winner of Bosnia v Norn Iron.

They won't move us and Romania to the A playoffs. Assuming either Wales or Slovakia qualify, what should happen is the following:

League D: Georgia v Belarus; Macedonia v Kosovo
League C: Scotland v [Hungary or Romania or Bulgaria or Israel]; Norway v Serbia
League B: Bosnia v Norn Iron; [Wales or Slovakia] v Ireland
League A: Iceland v [Hungary or Romania]; [Bulgaria or Israel] v [Israel or Hungary or Romania]

In League C, Scotland, Norway and Serbia have to stay in that path, and cannot face a team from a higher league, because they won their NL group. The fourth team there will likely be by way of a single draw from the four teams. Because either the League A or League C playoffs will have to have two hosts, they should simply draw that at random, with that side being in League C, and the other three sides from the draw being bumped up to the League A playoffs. Once that single draw has been conducted, the only other draws needed are for the four hosts of the playoff finals.

However, if Hungary qualify (either by winning tonight, or by drawing and Slovakia not beating Azerbaijan), then things are a little bit different. I would guess the following would apply:

League D: Georgia v Belarus; Macedonia v Kosovo
League C: Scotland v [Bulgaria or Israel]; Norway v Serbia
League B: Bosnia v [Wales, Slovakia, Ireland or Norn Iron]; [Wales or Slovakia] v [Slovakia or Ireland]
League A: Iceland v Romania; [Wales or Slovakia or Norn Iron] v [Bulgaria or Israel]

Romania would be moved to League A to begin with, in order to keep hosts in separate paths. The first draw required would be in League C: it would be to pick either Bulgaria or Israel to face Scotland, with the other side moving to League A. The second draw would be in League B: it would be to pick Wales, Slovakia or Norn Iron to move to League A.

While UEFA could change these rules, and the rumblings from the FAI seem to indicate that there is a possibility that they might, on the current rules (and with the possibility of complaints from other nations if they do change things around) I would guess that the above is the most likely way things will be run. If there are five League B teams, it could be the case that UEFA will decide to have an open draw from Wales, Slovakia, Ireland and Northern Ireland to move to the League A playoffs, but I think it is unlikely that they would want two hosts in a single playoff path if that could be avoided. The way that is avoided, in that scenario, is by keeping us in the League B path and having Romania in the League A path.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 19 Nov 2019 at 5:52pm
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 5:53pm
I wouldn't rule out UEFA doing something out the blue at this stage. Wouldn't be surprised to see the format change and we end up playing someone unexpected.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 126>
  Share Topic