You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7576777879 126>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

I think they've made an absolute balls of it to be honest.

Expanding the number of teams in the tournament to 24 wasn't a great move in the first place, but there was nothing wrong with the top two teams going through and the best eight of the third placed teams being guaranteed a play-off place.

Essentially they've change the whole format so that one team from the likes of Georgia, North Macedonia, Kosovo, Belarus etc can qualify.

Third place getting a play off was awful. Making the Nations League in some way meaningful was essential but they've made a balls of it. Needs work for the future. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Sponsored Links

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 10:16am
The whole setup is a comedy show. Tbh, it's the perfect qualifying campaign for the abomination that is the Euro 2020 tournament itself that will be staged in 89 host countries.

My favourite part of the setup is the 16 teams in playoffs just 3 months before the tournament starts. Euro 2020, the fans tournament LOL Also, the draw for the actual Euros will be done before the playoffs so you'll have 4 blanks in the Euro 2020 draw. The setup is a complete and utter shambles.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Yoco Santos View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoco Santos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 1:09pm
Tournament should revert back to 16 teams. It was a fantastic tournament and even allowed for the odd crap team like Ireland getting there in 2012. If they want additional teams to increase the number of teams, games, ahem money ahem,  have a second tournament with 8 or even 12 teams on at the same time for the nations that don't qualify for the main tournament/qualify through the NL.  Start a day or two after main tournament so the break days of the main tournament have football from the second tournament on, final on night before main tournament final etc
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 1:25pm
All the Euro qualifiers today and tonight are practically meaningless?

and all tomorrow except Ireland v Denmark/ Switzerland V Gibralta

and all on tuesday except Wales v Hungary/ Slovakia v Azerbaijan?

That has to be a indictment of the format if nothing else.

Edited by TonyNotJack - 17 Nov 2019 at 1:27pm
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

All the Euro qualifiers today and tonight are practically meaningless?

and all tomorrow except Ireland v Denmark

and all on tuesday except Wales v Hungary/ Slovakia v Azerbaijan?

That has to be a indictment of the format if nothing else.
it’s how it’s been for years now on the last match day of qualifiers and that’s nothing to do with the NL. It Looks less interesting when spread out across a number of days.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

So what teams missed out on qualification and a playoff place??

Greece
Albania
Montenegro
Cyprus
Estonia
Slovenia
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Kazakhstan
Moldova
Gibraltar
Faroe Islands
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Andorra
Malta
San Marino

Sad times for the Baltic states.

Greece are by far the biggest nation who are out at this stage, especially as winners only 15 years ago.

Still a bit strange how difficult it is to be eliminated from this competition.

Someone said a few posts back glad Finland finally made it. It sounded like they've been banging away coming close to qualifying for decades.I can't remember them challenging in a group or coming near at all. The constant dumbing down of Euro qualification still leaves a bit of a bad taste.

It feels like it's impossible to be eliminated from the competition LOL

120 Nations League group games (excluding the tournament that Portugal won). There will then be 12 playoff matches. These playoffs take place after playing 250 Euro 2020 qualifying group matches.

It will have effectively taken 382 matches to get the 24 qualifying teams out of a possible 55. Better still, before the playoffs next March take place there will have been 370 matches played and only 19 teams will be eliminated out of the 55 by that point. What a setup.
LOL That’s f**king mental. 

It's pure daft alright LOL. But I've enjoyed lots of the Nations League games bar the ones we played in 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 1:53pm
The NL itself is great, unfortunately they have absolutely destroyed the Euros though.
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 2:04pm
yeah I like the NL, it’s the 24 team Euro that is terrible.

One tweak I’d make is with the NL playoffs. Given how it turned out, there should be no League A playoff. If all teams bar 1 qualify, then the last team should get the spot - Iceland. If two teams left, one playoff, 3 teams the top seed plays the winner of 2v3. If 4 teams fine, leave as is. If all teams from a league qualify the place moved to the next league.

GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

One tweak I’d make is with the NL playoffs. Given how it turned out, there should be no League A playoff. If all teams bar 1 qualify, then the last team should get the spot - Iceland. If two teams left, one playoff, 3 teams the top seed plays the winner of 2v3. If 4 teams fine, leave as is. If all teams from a league qualify the place moved to the next league.

But the point of the NL is to cut out friendlies.
And to be able get more TV revenue from “competitive” games.
You now have another 12 playoff games next March, which will be well worth watching.
By the way if we don’t beat Denmark (but then win thru the playoffs, it will mean we have maybe 2 friendlies in May/June before the tournament.
But if we beat Denmark, then Mick can experiment with players for 2 friendlies in March and then another 2 in May/June.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 2:18pm

Or keep it as a separate competition and revert the Euros to 16 teams...
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 5:11pm
Expanding to 24 and 8 host contries is a bad idea.

Nations League has been excellent, much prefer the Nations Leagues games than the Bulgaria and New Zealand friendlies.
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 5:24pm

Or keep it as a separate competition and revert the Euros to 16 teams...

I think to keep the NL above friendlies they will keep the link between qualification. Can see them taking the qualification spot away from tier 3 and 4 teams though.

Needs tweaks 
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 5:46pm
If there is no link between NL and qualification spots then the NL would become like the Europa League, no one would give a toss about it.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 5:49pm

If there is no link between NL and qualification spots then the NL would become like the Europa League, no one would give a toss about it.
But the link is making a complete mockery of the Euros. The only link should be seeding. It’s a decent competition in its own right.
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 5:57pm

But the link is making a complete mockery of the Euros. The only link should be seeding. It’s a decent competition in its own right.

agree with the bold part but would it be a decent competition without the link? Whats the incentive for teams to care otherwise
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 6:00pm

I agree. Hadn't thought of it like this, but would make it much fairer - both for Pot A and lower Pots. 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 6:03pm

It's only a decent competition because there's a chance of qualification through it. It's glorified friendlies. If they take away qualification, it is exactly friendlies. 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 6:19pm
Friendly matches have only become completely meaningless because teams don’t take them seriously. Some of the most famous international matches, results and goals happened in friendlies. The reason to introduce a tournament was to try and get back to that by playing teams of a similar standard in a reasonably competitive situation. It would be kept reasonably competitive by UEFA using it as the seeding system for qualifying proper. The NL doesn’t need to be as important as the Euros itself, which is currently how it feels. That’s just stupid!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7576777879 126>
  Share Topic